Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Local options are better where available, but Greggs do ham and cheese baguettes without mayo or anything and that makes them good with me. The sweet stuff is also a very nice bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ms Adequate posted:

E: I also wish I didn't get such a bad snipe. 13 is a number which is superstitiously held by some to be 'unlucky' although how a number can have the property of luck eludes me.
I don't know about luck, but 13 has the problem of being one more than the spectacularly useful 12, which can be split nicely into 2×6 and 3×4 and is the smallest abundant number*. 13 in contrast is prime, with no factors other than itself and 1. So if, say, 12 people show up to an event and you need to split them into teams for some reason, it's easy. With 13, it's awkward and, perhaps, unlucky.

Saying that, 7 is prime and also considered lucky (and is one more than the smallest perfect number 6**), so :shrug:. 13 is also sort of nice on a hex grid because you can make a little star pattern.

*That is, the smallest number whose factors (other than itself) add up to more than itself: 1+2+3+4+6 = 16 > 12.

** Smallest number whose factors (other than itself) added up equal itself: 1+2+3 = 6.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

By definition then you cannot podcast.

You can do horny reply guy when we take it to twitter I guess?

Text-to-speech program, go down the LP Bot route :v:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Pochoclo posted:

Sometimes it horrifies me how far builders in this country will go to convert the most obtuse Victorian mansion rooms into living spaces and bathrooms

Like Lovecraft levels of “thing that was not meant to be”
Thanks to the Terrible Real Estate Agents Photos blog, I have learnt that there are a scary number of toilets in kitchens out there.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 4, 2019

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Free to air coverage of cricket would be very nice, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to save the Union.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Junior G-man posted:

I'm pretty OK with testing that thesis.
Whoever loses, we win.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

He could move to Wales.

Not that I really want him to move here, but I imagine most schools still belt out Mae Hhen Wlad Fy Nhadau here.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Robot Mil posted:

Do they?? I don't remember learning the anthem until I started going to rugby matches...
:shrug: It has, admittedly, been 18 years since I was in comprehensive school and 23 years since I was in primary. Which is a depressing thought!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ms Adequate posted:

The poo poo Rob Hubbard did back in the day is loving insane, how did he get these noises out of these machines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EcgruWlXnQ
I'm not an expert, but you can pick up a few clues by looking at an oscilloscope version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIA_0cvS2gQ
Only three channels, but the channels are quite flexible, you can do pretty much anything on them. Contrast that with, say, a NES which goes "you get two square pulses, a triangle wave (which is stuck at max volume), a noise channel and a channel for playing whatever samples you can squeeze into the cartridge. Unless you're Castlevania 3 using the VRC 6 soundchip, anyway, then you get two more square pulses and a sawtooth wave".

A neat trick is the way he varies the duty on the square waves, which is to say the amount of time on a square wave cycle where the wave is in the "up" position compared with the "down" position. Again on a NES (without some fancy voiving) you got three set duties for your square wave that you could choose between (effectively the difference between an "ahh" and an "ooh") but here there's a lot more flexibility and it goes a long way to giving the instruments their unique timbre.

Of course, it may be worth remembering that I think this is the only track in the game? So you can afford to give it a lot more storage space and polish time compared with if you're doing a whole soundtrack for something like, say, Mega Man 2. The NES's simplicity had its upsides there.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 11, 2019

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ms Adequate posted:

It was blast processing, OP

Also I have to confess I absolutely love Dvorak's work

Vib Ribbon 2 lookin good
Speaking of oscilloscopes and blast processing, the Mega Drive's FM music looks wild on an oscilloscope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C1jdoB4_UA

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

OwlFancier posted:

If you powered them on they would even cook stuff.
I dunno, Gamecubes are fairly power-efficient. Apparently the Gigaquad drew less power than an Xbox 360.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I will always love Macbeth, mostly because of the Humphrey Carpenter version in Shakespeare Without The Boring Bits where he turns him into a hard-boiled private eye.

It does go without saying that Shakespeare's pretty darn great, though. The dude's grasp of story structure was much better than the reductive three-act structure taught by many writing classes, and he pretty much invented the complex, human villain (even if the more Marlowian, moustache-twirling, monologuing scenery chewers have been more influential on popular culture).

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Just go for the full wizard sombrero, it works for medibot.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Moon:
Volume 2.1958×1010 km3
Mass 7.342×1022 kg
Mean density 3.344 g/cm3

Pluto:
Volume 7.057±0.004×109 km3 (0.325 of moon)
Mass 1.303±0.003×1022 kg (0.177 of moon)
Mean density 1.854±0.006 g/cm3 (0.554 of moon)

oh look we dropped somewhere between one sixth and half a moon beyond neptune, better call it a planet because an american found it
Yeah, one of the things about all the dwarf planets is that they are pretty tiny: there's seven moons in the solar system (Ordered by size: Ganymede, Titan, Callisto, Io, our Moon, Europa and Triton) that are bigger than them. Then again, Ganymede and Titan are bigger than Mercury... though Mercury is heavier than either of them.

The fundamental problem of course is that nature doesn't give a drat about our need to label and categorise everything. "Dwarf planet" is not a bad name though, and just because they're not full planets doesn't mean they're not interesting. Personally I quite like "world" as an inclusive term for any planet, dwarf planet or moon that's sufficiently interesting to talk about.

One thing that makes me sad is that they decided not to make Charon, Pluto's largest moon, a dwarf planet so they could be a twin dwarf planet system. That would have been cool.

As an aside, this is one of my favourite Wikipedia charts (though it has some formatting issues):

Scale is logarithmic.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 27, 2019

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with a log scale as long as you're up front about it (and the Sun would make it hilariously hard to see any of the other lines in the graph otherwise). I doubt any of those lib dem graphs are a) log scales or b) up front about it.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

"Aesthetically pleasing" is kind of subjective, mind. Like, I reckon Barry town centre looks pretty good, all things considered. But I'm also not expecting someone to cross half the country to shop there.

Then again I always thought Swansea city centre looked all right while my parents hate it, so maybe I'm not the best judge :shrug:.

I understand good things are happening in Preston?

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 28, 2019

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I quite like pork pies.

I will concede that my idea of culinary sophistication is putting walnuts into a ham and cheese sandwich, though.

And that I enjoy salt and shake crisps without the salt, which IIRC was described once in UKMT as "Theresa May if Theresa May were crisps" :v:.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Pochoclo's obviously more of an expert than me on this, but as I understand it Argentina (other than in matters relating to a certain group of islands) is often weirdly Anglophile. In that the Brits were invited in after Spain went "why can't I hold, all this silver" and built a bunch of railways and showed them how to play rugby and cricket.