Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Liberalism was such a dominant ideology for so long that a lot of its adherents didn't, or still don't, realise it is one and thought it was just an apolitical ground state.

Something that article posted a few pages back about Remainists highlighted to me was that a lot of these people are just now discovering they're a political faction that need to advocate for what they believe in. Which would be why they're so weird about it, they're still new to the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I'm in the US so I have only been superficially following this when poo poo gets wild, but my understand was Corbyn trying to resist a second referendum? Has that changed because the only alternative as this point is no-deal and he wants to avoid that?

He was quiet on it for a while, not wanting to go against the democratic grain and risk losing the support of Leave voters. Once Johnson came in with his commitment to No Deal, he's been much firmer about a second referendum. Media commentary has largely ignored that part, and people who oppose him have claimed his position is very unclear and confusing now that he's doing what they were demanding he do.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Could I ask something, why does this particular set of ideas depress me than all the others? Why is Anti-Semitism being used to attack someone who has, at the very least, been apologetic and kind about loving up so much more depressing than anything else flung at Corbyn?

Most other criticism of Corbyn has at least a kernel of a point. You can see why people might be upset at his past approach to Brexit (even if it was good strategy) or are worried about his economic plans (even if they are ultimately good). They mostly come down to differences in politics and priorities, and that can be argued.

But the anti-Semitism stuff is an outright lie. He has never done or said anything anti-Semitic, never been dismissive of it, and has been generally effective at reducing it in the party. It can't be argued against because there is no evidence to disprove, and when it's right-wing Jews arguing it you'll look like a right tit trying to say there is no bigotry problem even if you're right.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm struggling to see what the Lib Dem plan is here.

Do they really think they could win a majority in the next election?

If not, do they plan on forming another coalition with Boris "no deal" Johnson to end Brexit?

Madness

Of course they are! They will clearly go into coalition in exchange for a second referendum (with no commitment on the options or what to campaign for) or, failing that, nothing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I thought staying neutral was done journalist's suggestion and Corbyn just didn't rule it out because it should be decided at conference?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Aramoro posted:

So there are 2 broad categories of Boardgames, Eurogames and Ameritrash.

Euro games are typified by no player elimination, come back mechanics so players who are losing get advantages, and less randomness.

Ameritrash games are lol-random, players get eliminated, and winning means you win more. Think Monopoly, when you're winning you have more money than everyone else so it's easier for you keep winning.

Complexity is fairly even across them, just because you've made a trash game of rolling dice doesn't mean you don't have a 20 page rulebook. Whilst king of Eurogames, Powergrid, has a 4 or 5 pages max.

This is a pretty dated analysis. Board games have come a long way in the last couple of decades.

In modern parlance a Euro game is theme-light, interaction-light, low-randomness and involves moving a lot of tokens around to represent production chains and/or trade routes. They're a subset of engine-builders.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RockyB posted:

Not trying to jump on anyone here, be prepared and all that, but what kind of brexit apocalypse are people thinking of that's going to cause the water supplies to turn off? Water companies have a legally mandated requirement to supply water in the case of an outage, and backup generators to keep plants going in the case of rolling blackouts because the continental electric interlinks went down etc. Cant' find a decent source, but look at page 22 of https://assets.publishing.service.g..._pdf___002_.pdf as a brief example.

The fear isn't the loss of the water itself, but the purification - cleaning it usually relies on imported chemicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

Pretty sure bottled water will still be widely available in one of the richest European countries, comrades

I mean come on, I swear this thread sometimes...

Everyone in Latin America would be long dead if civilisation was as fragile as you make it out to be

We still have a good ~50 years before we really get hosed IMO

I can't speak for everyone in the thread, but for me Brexit preparation is more "three weeks of logistics disruption" than "total societal collapse, eat the fattest for sustenance". So stock up on some dried/tinned groceries rather than bullets and petrol.