Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I think if you've not been declaring your income to them for over a year they consider you delinquent and can demand you pay back the maximum monthly repayment amount rather than whatever you'd be on in line with your salary. Whether they actually do that I have no idea. AFAIR they can't demand an immediate full repayment or anything like that.

It's been a few years since I myself left the country though so take all this with a large shaker of salt - things may well have changed since then or I'm misremembering stuff.

e: Also be aware that having been non-resident for so long you might not immediately qualify for JSA (make sure you have records of your Dutch employment in order, along with a E301/PD U1 form from UWV if you think you might need to claim benefits, but honestly I'd recommend being unemployed in the Netherlands over unemployed in the UK), and you may be asked to prove that you are ordinarily resident in the UK to access NHS services (if you still have Dutch health insurance and a valid EHIC you should be able to use that in the meantime).

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Gum posted:

Ask a Kipper if Polish people are "Western" and then ask the same question about a group of immigrants that Kippers do not take issue with, such as Americans or Australians

E: This touches on what is possibly the biggest disagreement within neoliberal and fascist circles: Does The West extend beyond the Anglosphere?
It seems a little unfair to Poles to associate them with the West. Poland has plenty of problems of its own, but it never colonised and oppressed half the planet, even if more through lack of opportunity than lack of intent.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tesseraction posted:

What is this actually mapping?
Surely you recall the Polish discovery and settlement of Iceland?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

winegums posted:

I think this is what could make it so good. I really like WDTATW, but I wish they'd get a 3rd or 4th host (partially so the show isn't on hiatus for a fortnight when someone's sick or moves house). We have a spread of people here covering various topics.

As an aside, has anyone else found that reel politik has become basically unlistenable recently? Just feels kinda phoned in and lazy.

Yeah it's always struggled a bit with dodgy production, the hosts being not quite as funny as they think they are and getting too pleased with their own cleverness on occasion, but I used to quite enjoy it. Lately I've not been able to get through the first ten minutes or so of an episode. WDTATW is very good IMO, I don't really see it as a comedy podcast and after the chat at the start of an episode they tend to take their subject matter pretty seriously and have interesting things to say. I wish Desolation Radio would record more often, cos they seem pretty smart, get smart guests on and cover a lot of cool historical stuff. Trashfuture is still the best balance of idiot jokes and insightful stuff for my money, although I feel like Alice hasn't quite found her groove as a full time member yet and the last few episodes she seems to be talking over Riley even more than he usually gets talked over by the Milo and Hussein.

Chapo Trap House get the occasional interesting guest on but I've listened to regular episodes here and there because it seems so beloved by goons and really don't get it, the hosts don't seem funny in the slightest or particularly insightful. I listened to their recent Berlin live show and the first fifteen minutes of German jokes were just the lamest, easiest poo poo that I doubt even BBC3 would pay for any more. Boonta Vista feels like a similar setup with more personable hosts.

That's most of the politics stuff I listen to at all regularly, Talking Politics, Ed Miliband's thing and Affected and Disaffected I dip into on occasion if there's an interesting looking topic. I know there are a few more in the OP but if anyone has any other favourites they can recommend I'd like to hear!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
How horny will the UKMT podcast be?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
gently caress me I forget sometimes just how much racism is simmering under the surface in Norway. I got a nice little surprise lecture today on the dangers of gender equality and the twin threats of Slavs and Islam in replacing good, Christian-God-fearing Norwegians. From an ecologist of all loving people. One second we're talking seal populations, the next minute it's "hey you know what other population is under threat, and it's all down to our damned egalitarianism causing our women not to breed enough".

Not exactly the first time I've been blindsided by a conversation taking that sort of turn here, but I naively didn't expect a biologist presumably trained in evolutionary theory and population dynamics to come out spouting :biotruths: and great replacement poo poo.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Helith posted:

It was originally an Aussie lager though, it was made here for a long time, it fell out of favour in Australia and became popular abroad instead. You can buy it here, it's just that nobody does.
Fosters is a sick joke being played by Australia on the rest of the world and I'd assumed that it was produced by drunken Aussies taking it in turns to just piss into a huge vat that is then watered down further and exported, but at least it isn't XXXX.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

You could probably do vertical farming if you had masses of affordable energy from nuclear or whatever, and use aquaponics to manage the water and waste, water being topped up by nuclear fired desalination.

If you're making that much cheap energy though you could just turn it directly into protein.

Future stuff is cooler and yet more boring.
You'd think somewhere like Iceland would be all over it. Super cheap electricity from basically entirely renewable sources, all the water you could ever want, and a blasted hellscape of a country where nothing grows leading to insanely high food prices because everything is imported.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

marktheando posted:

Does anyone have the post where a yank ancap talks about his experience hanging out with Greek anarchists?
Truly a timeless classic.

quote:

I was beat up by left anarchists in Greece. (self.Anarcho_Capitalism)
submitted 3 years ago by AnCapNAPs

I don’t usually use forums or Reddit, I usually just post comments on Ancap blogs like Molyneux or Cantwell’s blog, but they didn’t seem appropriate places to post my story. So here goes, I just wanted to share this with all of you.

Nov 3 I flew to Europe for a Eurotrip type tour. Not a guide or packaged deal, just going around by myself. I paid for half of the trip with the wages I earned over the last two years, my dad paid for the other half. I am 19, I guess that is normal starting college and all. (Before that I worked for my dad’s company part time, so I guess you could say he paid for all of it, lol).

I did France and then Italy and then Greece next. I am an Ancap so I wanted to see anarchists in these places. Yes, I know they are different kinds of “anarchists” and not really full anarchists like us. I went to an anarchist book store in Italy and it had a lot of English books, but no Rothbard or Ancap. Like I said, I expected that, not a surprise.

I went to Greece, which everyone knows is famous for its revolutionary anarchism, its economic crisis and everything going on right now. Here I found directions for a local anarchist center. I went and didn’t see anybody, but it was covered in graffiti, mostly in Greek so I couldn’t read it. Whatever, I started taking pictures. Then some people came out and confronted me.

This should have been my first warning sign something was not right, because photography is not a crime. They were not violent, but they were not friendly, like asking who I was, what I wanted. They all spoke good English actually. Not uncommon in Greece. I said I was a tourist and an anarchist and I just wanted to take pictures. Then they got friendly and told me I should have asked first (but pictures are no NAP violation so I don’t know why, but I didn’t say anything) and they invited me inside.

We hung out for a while and smoked hash (there is no good dank in Europe as you might find out like in Cali, everyone smokes hash with tobacco which isn’t as cool as it sounds). We started talking about politics and anarchism. I was trying to talk about the state, they were like yeah no doubt the state was bad. But they wanted to talk about capitalism, capitalism this and that. This is when we started to get into a debate.

I told them that what they called capitalism is different from the free market. They said capitalism is free markets. And I said I agreed. That is what I am saying. Real capitalism is free markets. And they said yes, that is what we are trying to get rid of. And I said no, but we don’t even have that right now. We need more free markets. And everyone at the same time was like “nooo” we are anarchists, we are against capitalism. Anarchists oppose capitalism.

And I said but not anarcho-capitalists. Anarcho-capitalists are the anarchists who support capitalism. I had a fanny pack (yeah, lame I know) for my camera and in that I had this yellow and black bowtie (also super lame, it was a joke but I wasnt wearing it). And I said look, these are the Ancap colors, yellow and black, like versus the communist red and black. Well, these guys had a lot of red and black in the building already so I thought they would get it.

I think that is when it started to get a really bad vibe, really tense in the air. The free market thing was funny, we disagreed but I think they thought I was just confused. Everyone was uncomfortable now. Then someone said markets wont work with democracy. And I said exactly, that’s it, democracy is against anarchism. And they kind of agreed, and said yes, we don’t have real democracy, just governments, and we needed more democracy. I said no, we need less democracy, democracy is the enemy. And we need to end democracy to have anarchy. Then they were all like “noooo” again. You know that thing people do in groups when everyone all says “nooo” or expresses some disapproval at the same time.

And one of them said “but we do want to stop democracy” and then they kind of spoke back and forth in Greek. I didn’t really understand it. And they asked me what I meant.

So I said okay, I had the floor, I was going to tell them about ancapism. And I tried to explain to them some Rothbard and Hoppe. I said the natural order in anarchy is that the best rise to the top, the market picks who is the best. They compete and are peaceful. They said what do we want instead of anarchy. I said we want private owners to own their own land and businesses, and to employ people. They said that is what we have now. I said no, it would be even better. One of the guys said it was like feudalism. And I said it is not feudalism.

Eventually one of the guys spoke up and I thought he was Greek, but he spoke English perfectly so he may have not been. He said he knew what anarcho-capitalism was and that we were basically fascists. He asked me if I thought everything should be private. And I said yes. And he asked me if I thought people were unequal. And I told him yes. And that not everyone would have equal rights. I said everyone has the right to own property and not be done aggression against. But that not everyone had to be treated equally by the owners. He said what about immigrants and racism. And I said that would not happen in a free market, but yes property owners could be racist if they wanted to. They had to respect property.

Then he called me a fascist again, and someone else said I was a fascist. And then they basically all started shouting fascist at me, and one of them grabbed me by the wrists. They pulled me out the door, it was up three floors, and basically drug me down the stairs on my back. It hurt really bad and I remember yelling “you’re breaking the NAP” and things like that. “Stop initiating force against me.” Then they kicked me around on the ground in the hallway, before they took my camera and threw me outside. I was crying and stuff, I just sat there. I was in shock because it was so sudden. Looking back there were warning signs though.

I think they felt bad for me and gave the camera back, but when I looked later they stole the memory card with all of my Greek photos.

So they initiated force and theft. They broke the NAP. I knew the left anarchists were not real anarchists, but I never knew they would do something that bad.

I wasnt seriously hurt, just kicked around a little, lots of bruises and little cuts. I am fine guys so don’t worry. Just needed to share.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I wish to audition as a member of the χορός going "nooooo".

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

jacksbrat posted:

Has anyone seen the galaxy-brained take on how Sinn Fein should give up their Westminster seats as part of a complex sequence of electoral steps to stop no-deal Brexit? Essentially, Sinn Fein step down -> all pro-Remain parties endorse a particular, popular, non-party candidate in the by-election -> those candidates take Westminster seats because they're not beholden to SF abstention policy -> ??? -> No Brexit!
Because calling for votes when you are certain the result will be what you want has worked so well in recent years.

Another highlight is the "short-term unity government" under "a less contentious figure [i.e. not Corbyn] such as Keir Starmer or Caroline Lucas."

I usually like reading Fintan O'Toole because his pieces usually just say "Here is another way in which the Brits are at it again" in flowery language, but I suppose Boris has broken him.

Even if that Rube Goldberg plan had any hope of working, why would SF want to stop the most likely route to a united Ireland we've seen in decades? AFAIK they're nominally anti-Brexit (for Northern Ireland), but they were calling just this week for a reunification vote following NDB.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/31/sinn-fein-border-poll-ireland-unity-must-follow-no-deal-brexit posted:

It would be “unthinkable” if a no-deal Brexit was not followed by a poll on Irish reunification, the leader of Sinn Féin has warned Boris Johnson, also telling the prime minister that no one believed he was impartial on Northern Ireland.

“In the longer term, we have advised him that constitutional change is in the air. He can’t say that he hasn’t been told,” Mary Lou McDonald said after meeting Johnson at Stormont on Wednesday morning.

Any Brexit, but particularly no deal, “represents in anybody’s language a dramatic change of circumstances on this island, and … it would be unthinkable in those circumstances that people would not to be given the opportunity to decide on our future together”, McDonald said.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

XMNN posted:

i mean that does seem p bad?

I think noted Welsh poster Saith is obliquely referring to Capel Celyn, a Welsh village flooded over much local protest to provide water for Liverpool.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

namesake posted:

New podcast name: We don't Talk about the Whether Scotland should be Independent or not.
That's a separate spinoff podcast. Pissflaps presents Scotpol, featuring Coohoolin and Jedit.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ah good, I'm sure more surveillance and more panic about violent media will work this time around. No further examination of motivation or introspection on societal problems required.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Don't put Trump in a position where he'll have to condemn violent white masculinity or literally anything else, because you'll get restrictions on the literally anything else.
Fortunately he has already come up with an innovative new solution to mass shootings by US born citizens in the US: keeping out more foreigners.

quote:

"We cannot let those killed in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, die in vain."

"Republicans and Democrats must come together and get strong background checks, perhaps marrying this legislation with desperately needed immigration reform," Trump continued. "We must have something good, if not GREAT, come out of these two tragic events!"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
e: nah

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 5, 2019

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jose posted:

its cool how a bunch fo journalists today have been criticising corbyn for not stepping down if a unity government was required because Jo Swinson has said she refuses to work with him
I dunno how anyone thinks a unity government is a realistic proposition at all. If you're at the stage where you'd need the Lib Dem's 13 MPs to get a slim majority for what is meant to be a broad, cross-party consensus then you're already dead in the water. Plus Sturgeon says she wouldn't work with the Tories, McDonnell says Labour wouldn't go into coalition with the SNP or the Lib Dems. I think you'd struggle to get a majority without them anyway, but a government of national unity (except Scotland) is such a gift to the Indy campaign that alongside the complete dismissal of NI you'd think they were trying to break up the UK.

I mean I assume it's just another arrow for sensible centrists to shoot at Labour, but it's so dumb.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

It's lucky that the UK's future prospects are so rock-solid under Tory stewardship or the Lib Dems would look really stupid.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not entirely sure cats have been domesticated, more that the house cat is just any other kind of cat but small enough that it can't kill you easily.
Don't you believe it, they just know that as long as you're their best source of food and scratches behind the ears it's in their interests to leave you alive. You might think you could easily overpower a cat, but remember that they're ambush predators and you have to sleep sometime...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There's a guy who lives near me who has a harness for his cat and takes it for walks on a lead. I'd like to see your so-called science explain THAT!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

Where does the BBC think vikings come from?

Or saxons for that matter?

Like is germany not western until bismark happened?

Germany is Central Europe. Since Britain is both in Northern Europe and clearly barbaric, Western Europe is exclusively Ireland, Mann, and possibly the Scilly Isles (although that might already be veering into Southern Europe). Iceland is part of North America.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Here's some learnings about Europe for you Brits:

I'm not taking lessons on European geography from a Dane, a people who consider Greenland to be part of Europe.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Junior G-man posted:

She's most welcome, just warn her to stay out of GBS.

Jedit posted:

And FYAD, and YOSPOS, and TCC, and TFR...

Yospos has a bunch of trans posters and an LGBTQ+ chat thread, I think it's pretty friendly. For a bunch of Silicon Valley type tech nerds I feel like there are remarkably few shitheads. I don't read the cat thread or cjs though.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 9, 2019

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Wow £5 a month and you don't even get early access to their upcoming racism scandals or an extra anti-Labour press release a week? What's even the point?

OTOH if Mike Gapes went on Reel Politik as a Patreon only episode I'd be tempted to subscribe that month.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

Can't imagine that'll benefit anyone other than the Liberals so I guess congratulations to Jo Swinson?

Hope the Scottish Greens have no part in this pact.

Yeah for real. The Greens must have driven a hard bargain to keep the Lib Dems from contesting all their many *checks notes* one single seat. Where the LDs didn't stand in the last election anyway and Lucas has a majority of 15,000.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol even better.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Johnson has a majority of around 5,000 and Labour gained in his constituency in 2017. Swinson has a similar majority and won her seat back off the SNP who took it from her in 2015. I'd think either or both of them are far more likely to lose their seats than Corbyn.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I'm all in favour of the ultra rich being killed by the state, but yeah in this case it feels a little premature.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Is that yet another account parodying incredibly brokebrained centrists? It's getting much too hard to tell.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm a big fan of the current theory that weed causes mass shootings - I saw someone posted the Hitchens tweet and I think there was a Guardian article or something about it? All those famous Dutch and Portuguese shootings I keep hearing about, it's wild how those just keep happening there thanks to the easy availability of the worst drug there is.

Also I had a third interview for a cool job today, they're down to me and one other candidate so hopefully I get to stop being one of those layabout scroungers you've heard so much about and rejoin the ranks of genius hyperproductive techbros. It's for a research non-profit with a big focus on climate change and ecology, please hold your guillotines at least until I'm rich.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

AceOfFlames posted:

But they don't even do that. I ask "How was your weekend" and most of the time they say "Good" or "Nothing special". The rare times I see them upset I ask "Is everything OK", they say "Yes" and don't elaborate. Maybe I'm just incredibly unlucky. But I try. I just don't understand.

I think it's good to start with small steps in building up your conversational repertoire - don't dive straight in to trying to counsel people in crisis before you've got down the basics of a friendly dialogue.

"How was your weekend?" is a great opener, and they're giving the polite stock response. If you want to take it further, you could try "Get up to anything much?" They should then either say something like "nah, just the usual", indicating they don't want to continue the conversation, or tell you what they did at the weekend. Try to show interest even if their activities seem pointless or tedious to you. If you're feeling confident you can ask a few followup questions relating specifically to the information they've already given. Try to make these questions open, encouraging further elaboration, rather than things answered with a simple yes or no. In time people may start asking how your weekend was too, but I don't want to get on to such advanced topics in this first lesson.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe a world of part time university where you work as well and aren't expected to be 'useful' in your studies, so you can study precolonial Mesoamerican dance if that's what you like, would be a nice social balance while still producing academic output that is occasionally utilitarian.
A few pages back, but this is exactly what my girlfriend does. She studies part time, works part time, and receives a small grant each semester that more or less covers rent - if she earns above some threshold in a given semester then this is converted to a loan instead. Norwegian university is free and (some) student housing is owned by the student union and by law run not-for-profit, so you can live modestly but quite happily under that system. She's spent a few years picking and choosing courses as she likes, and earned enough credits to be accepted onto a Masters course this year. It seems a pretty decent deal, if I don't find a decent job soon I'm tempted to do it myself.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

That sounds like a perfect system. I think a lot of people would prefer that over the three intense years of study and clubs and middle class bantz and then work unless you want to take on more debt system. I would.

The majority of students here still do the three years of clubs and bantz at 18/19, but the difference is their debt at the end is pretty low since it only has to cover living costs. And definitely having the option there for "non-traditional students" is really good IMO. I know a ton of other foreigners here doing variations on that theme, a lot of them a bit older and wanting to retrain or just study something they find interesting. It's especially common for postgrad because then a lot of the courses are taught in English, but I also know people who learned Norwegian just to come and study here.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Shouldn't be a problem: one quick, peaceful invasion and they'll simply be British-Americans.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
*except British nationalism, which is just Good Common Sense.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ms Adequate posted:

"Esoteric linguist" *proceeds to learn three of the world's most prominent languages*

My guy go learn Nahuatl, Inuktitut, and something from Papua New Guinea, then we can talk.

Yeah learning BSL would be more esoteric than Spanish. Although do sign languages fall under the purview of linguists? Manuists, maybe?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

On the one hand the policy would be near impossible to enforce. On the other if it were enforceable or would be incredibly cruel to people who've made their lives in the UK , it's completely insane, and would gently caress the entire country. And to top it all it would be massively unpopular if actually carried through because even the reddest of gammons wants to go on holiday to France on occasion and likes having food in the supermarkets and someone paid minimum wage to wipe their senile mum's arse.

Essentially the perfect Tory policy, it'll be made law in Parliament's first sitting after the break probably.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

baka kaba posted:

kinda feels like Bojo plan is to get all his hardest mates to come with him when he goes to fight the EU at break
Unfortunate for him that his entire party is made up of barely living skeletons, greying former horse ladies and ageing, doughy posh boys.

In fact this gets me wondering who each party would send to a Parliamentary deathmatch and who would emerge victorious. No Lords, please, we already know that John "Two Fists" Prescott is the man running that ring.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobstar posted:

:hfive: I discovered the other day that I prefer the chickpea burgers I make to beef ones. I'm basically down to just the occasional bit of chicken now. Go team accidental reduction!
Veggie burgers can be incredible and I've honestly gained a preference for a nice black bean burger over the majority of meat ones. A couple different (meat-eating) mates have advised me that the Vegan Junk Food Bar in Amsterdam has the best burger in existence bar none, so if you're getting into plant-based alternatives maybe give it a look next time you find yourself in the capital.

e: Sorry, I mean the other capital

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Julio Cruz posted:

really enjoying this puff piece for some non-alcoholic spirit drink thing masquerading as journalism that's currently got pride of place on the BBC news homepage

quote:

Younger people do not want to be seen as drunk on social media. Heavy episodic drinking is not deemed to be cool. Importantly, the industry does not want excessive consumption and spends millions to avoid such behaviour
:raise: