Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe they should just design a better jar in the first place tbh

E: 147 is the maximum break in snooker. Ronnie O'Sullivan is renowned for licking marmite straight from the jar every time he gets one.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Quick poll of people who do not like marmite: how many of you mixed it with butter, because you are not supposed to eat it straight.

If you mix it with butter it tastes good. Like Twiglets good.

Great now I'm gonna have to try this

There's also the Marmite Babybels I've seen

I've tried butter in tea, and I've tried brewing Marmite as a hot drink... is the next step brewing Marmite butter tea? Good lord

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Marmite comes in squeezy containers now you heathens. I've also had marmite infused chocolate which was... interesting

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Like Twiglets good.

Ah, I see the confusion here

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Marmite, by Junji Ito

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I just don't see the appeal of marmite. I could have a lovely slice of buttery toast, or I could make the butter look like there's poo poo running through it and now it tastes of yeast.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

I've tried brewing Marmite as a hot drink

Did.... did you confuse marmite and bovril..?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The best use of marmite other than on toast with butter is this:

Take a couple of spoons of butter, toss it in a pan with a teaspoon or two of dried sage and melt on a medium-low heat until the butter starts to froth and the sage is aromatic. Stir in about a teaspoon of marmite and mix well. It doesn't need to be homogenous but you can get it close.
Toss some al dente spaghetti with a few dashes of the water you cooked the pasta in into the pan and mix it together.

This was taught to me by an italian. She didn't think it was particularly authentic but it is common in her region where they have something very similar to marmite. It's delicious and simple to make.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Marmite is alright, but the God-tier salty goop to go on buttery toast is

(for bonus points: spread it on your buttery toast, top with scrambled eggs, then chuck on a few anchovies, a handful of capers & some parsley. It's called scotch woodcock & it is the brunch of kings)
E: also chuck a teaspoon into stews, gravies, sauces or literally anything that you're cooking for a real nice rich umami flavour. Cut back on the salt tho

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 18, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The gentleman's relish in my scotch woodcock is an acquired taste and not something I would serve to guests, or eat myself for that matter.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Pochoclo posted:

Marmite, by Junji Ito

This is my jar... It was made for ME!!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Marmite comes in squeezy containers now

The devil exists.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

Did.... did you confuse marmite and bovril..?

No, I swear it lists it as an option on the jar. I've done it with both Bovril and Marmite. It's alright, nothing to write home about.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

The gentleman's relish in my scotch woodcock
This is art.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

This thread is generally right on a lot of things but it's been overwhelmingly wrong about Marmite being edible.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Get the gently caress out.

e: did I miss cheese on toast chat or have we yet to get there?

deano
Sep 6, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

The gentleman's relish in my scotch woodcock is an acquired taste and not something I would serve to guests, or eat myself for that matter.

Reminded me this happened

https://twitter.com/elizabethhurley/status/404561059081494528

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
really enjoying this puff piece for some non-alcoholic spirit drink thing masquerading as journalism that's currently got pride of place on the BBC news homepage

latestagecapitalism.jpg

e: oh they've just sold most of the company to a multinational corporation and then this piece appears, totally normal guys no stock market manipulation going on here no sir

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 18, 2019

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

i am harry posted:

e: did I miss cheese on toast chat or have we yet to get there?

I'm ready to hear some good suggestions on this. Strong cheddar and brown sauce is my go to

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/LeanneWood/status/1162982748761526272?s=19

Leanne Wood continues to be good

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Julio Cruz posted:

really enjoying this puff piece for some non-alcoholic spirit drink thing masquerading as journalism that's currently got pride of place on the BBC news homepage

latestagecapitalism.jpg

alcohol is awful and anything which normalises its fall is a good thing, up to and including puff pieces about £28 flavoured water in state media

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Julio Cruz posted:

latestagecapitalism.jpg

e: oh they've just sold most of the company to a multinational corporation and then this piece appears, totally normal guys no stock market manipulation going on here no sir

"what if we made up the cost of alcohol duty in pure profit?"

Wow what a deal, where do I sign up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe someone should invent alcohol that is more toxic the more money you have.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
loving lol its 28 quid for 70cl!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

https://twitter.com/LeanneWood/status/1162989146367045634?s=19

Holy poo poo

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The replies to this tweet are giving me an anyerusm

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

coffeetable posted:

alcohol is awful and anything which normalises its fall is a good thing, up to and including puff pieces about £28 flavoured water in state media

yeah except this isn't "normalising its fall" this is the BBC doing a favour for a multinational drinks corporation to promote the startup they've just heavily invested in

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Marmite comes in squeezy containers now you heathens.

And I was just starting to like you ...

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Marmite is alright, but the God-tier salty goop to go on buttery toast is

(for bonus points: spread it on your buttery toast, top with scrambled eggs, then chuck on a few anchovies, a handful of capers & some parsley. It's called scotch woodcock & it is the brunch of kings)
E: also chuck a teaspoon into stews, gravies, sauces or literally anything that you're cooking for a real nice rich umami flavour. Cut back on the salt tho

That shits delicious, but I can hear my kidneys complaining just looking at it

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Eh, the first way works fine if you don't tilt forward too much. Christmas stuffing on a pizza though. I might have to try that one.

Most of my family is vegetarian so we don't normally go in for the big roast type dinner - quite often we'll do like a buffet kind of thing where my Mum cooks a cheese and onion flan (she makes a really good one) and there'll be all fancy cheeses, breadsticks, all that kind of thing. It's good.

Anyway this year me and my brother made pizzas for the whole family, and the only Christmassy thing we put on them was chestnuts - the kind that come pre-roasted in water (might have been oil? The important thing is that they come in a packet and they are moist) - anyway gotta tell you they are an S-tier pizza topping. I can well-imagine stuffing working well too.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Most of my family is vegetarian so we don't normally go in for the big roast type dinner - quite often we'll do like a buffet kind of thing where my Mum cooks a cheese and onion flan (she makes a really good one) and there'll be all fancy cheeses, breadsticks, all that kind of thing. It's good.

Anyway this year me and my brother made pizzas for the whole family, and the only Christmassy thing we put on them was chestnuts - the kind that come pre-roasted in water (might have been oil? The important thing is that they come in a packet and they are moist) - anyway gotta tell you they are an S-tier pizza topping. I can well-imagine stuffing working well too.

Probably the most depressing thing ever posted in this thread.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Probably the most depressing thing ever posted in this thread.

dont sign ur posts

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

As a nut allergy sufferer, nut-based pizza topping suck poo poo and taste bad, I'm sure, objectively speaking. Also nuts in any other meal, and also on their own. gently caress 'em.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The bad response density on this is pretty impressive, but I guess anything which makes melty libs and frothy fascists equally angry is going to be generally unpopular

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tarnop posted:

I'm ready to hear some good suggestions on this. Strong cheddar and brown sauce is my go to
Cheese and marmite toasties are the food of the gods.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Junior G-man posted:

And I was just starting to like you ...

Probably for the best, but I'm still genuinely surprised that Marmite in squeezy bottles is somehow arcane knowledge

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Probably for the best, but I'm still genuinely surprised that Marmite in squeezy bottles is somehow arcane knowledge

I've got one right here. I put it in the fridge last night and got told off. I wouldn't put marmite in the fridge but my brain just went squeezy bottle and filed it in the fridge automatically.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Halisnacks posted:

So, I totally agree that Corbyn should have the first go at forming a government of national unity with the sole remit of extending the A50 deadline and calling a GE. But am I the only one who thinks it’s so clearly the only good idea to take us off the collision course with No Deal that I don’t care if another caretaker PM does it instead? Harriet Herman really doesn’t strike me as a bad option to literally do two things in a time-limited window if that’s what it takes. Corbyn remains leader of the party and leads the GE campaigning, so I really don’t know what is lost if he can’t execute on his plan but someone else can.

The only reason people don't want Corbyn is because they think being caretaker PM would help him win the election.

Of course if he loses, we end up with Johnson again and we leave with no deal. That will be the choice in the election: a Corbyn government or no deal with the Tories.

So everyone who doesn't want Corbyn as caretaker doesn't really care about preventing no deal, because they want him to lose the subsequent election to Johnson. They just want to seem like they care. So Corbyn should absolutely tell them to gently caress off if they expect him to back someone else.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

jabby posted:

The only reason people don't want Corbyn is because they think being caretaker PM would help him win the election.

Of course if he loses, we end up with Johnson again and we leave with no deal. That will be the choice in the election: a Corbyn government or no deal with the Tories.

So everyone who doesn't want Corbyn as caretaker doesn't really care about preventing no deal, because they want him to lose the subsequent election to Johnson. They just want to seem like they care. So Corbyn should absolutely tell them to gently caress off if they expect him to back someone else.

I don't buy that everyone who doesn't want corbyn doesn't care about no deal. And that wasn't what that dude was saying. I mean they might be wrong, and I think they are, but it doesn't mean they dont care about no deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

loving lol its 28 quid for 70cl!

And you can get something similar in the soft drinks aisle of the supermarket for £2 or something. But that doesn't have the brand name or the attractive bottle (and the BBC isn't getting paid cash money to promote it, of course...even though they absolutely don't do advertising).