Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tarnop posted:

I'm not sure if we achieved Peak Cat in the last thread, so here's my boy Archer being a fuzzbutt

I pride myself on at least a modest degree of ability with the English language, but not only do I lack the words to express how sof this boy is, I lack the words to even express how far short I fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Umbra Dubium posted:

Tomorrow, Boris will propose sawing through the channel tunnel and floating the UK down to the West Caribbean.

His budget? One million pounds! (Wait, what do you mean that's nearly nothing?)

"I say enough! Enough naysaying, enough talking down the great Great British public, enough of the "no-we-can't"s! It's time for yes-we-cans! Did Alexander not defy the sea to invade Tyre? We shall unmoor Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the continental shelf that shackles us to Europe, a shelf which I might add we had no opportunity to debate or vote on, and sail the merry seas to sunnier climes and new ports!"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Failed Imagineer posted:

I speak a vaguely neo-mid-Atlantic nothing accent which nobody can place. And then I can get drunk and my >1,000 years of specifically North Cork ancestry comes rushing back. Like

Lol same, my 'normal' accent is pretty Americanized* but get me drunk or worse yet, angry at a video game, and I'll switch to either the chavviest Lesstah accent imaginable, or a County Down accent bequethed to me by my granny and now spoken only in seaside villages so remote and forsaken that Dagon worships them.

* Had people at uni be like "Oh you went to school in America? No? An international school then?" and couldn't believe I went to the scummiest prole school the Midlands has to offer :lol:

Anyway I'd volunteer for the podcast but I have voice dysphoria, enormous social anxiety, and I'm not good at useful conversations (I don't just mean I've got staircase wit, but that too, but rather that I'll talk absolutely useless shite nobody benefits from and then three hours later come up with summat actually intelligent).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

lol just knock another loving quarter off the pound

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Snowball blue is probably the best balance between cheap / good for beginners.

Sounds like Walter White's product with a name like that tbh

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

RabidWeasel posted:

Thanks thread it's nearly midnight and I'm hungry as gently caress for meth now

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

WhatEvil posted:

https://twitter.com/bloonface/status/1156924934083567617?s=20

E: I really shouldn't post this poo poo with Ms. A in the thread should I?

Please, I have some standards.

As if I'd gently caress a Kryptonian who doesn't serve General Zod.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pilchenstein posted:

A majority of one can't be workable surely?

"Aye Boris I'm gonnae need a wee pinch of that £2 billion or I'm not voting for ye."
"Then we'll withdraw the whip!"
"Aye, an' hi's a majority of zero gonnae work out for ye, ya absolute weapon?"

And the fact they've sabotaged the pairing arrangement means no fucker can get sick or be abroad on government work or be at home in their constituency if there's a crisis etc. etc., amazing job.

Soviets to the left of me, BXP to the right. And here I am, a completely useless twat called de Pfeffel.

e; Torygraph is absolutely raging tomorrow because Carney had the temerity to reiterate that "Brexit might be bad for the economy lads", they're saying he's sabotaging negotiations :laugh:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 2, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I wish I didn't spend a long time just now wondering why nobody was mentioning the second MP who was needed for 1 to become 3 :negative:

E: I also wish I didn't get such a bad snipe. 13 is a number which is superstitiously held by some to be 'unlucky' although how a number can have the property of luck eludes me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

HauntedRobot posted:

The state I'm advocating for is actually the littlest
We trust in market forces and let businesses take care of us
With private companies to run all our essential services

We've got a lot invested in our horde of private property
We're not particularly interested in equality
We're pretty laissez-faire if you've got lots and lots of pounds and you
Can't call us libertarian or we'll have to set the hounds on you

:golfclap:

e; Sigh. 23 is the highest known prime number.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

AceOfFlames posted:

"NOBODY HAS ALL THE ANSWERS ABOUT HOW FREEDOM WORKS! THAT'S WHY FREEDOM IS SO IMPORTANT!"

I'm dying

Absolutely mental, I love this crazy

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Like yeah I guess technically the Shinners could do that and turn those seats into Remain ones, but... why would they?

The mind boggles.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I have no idea why Livvy's suddenly all over the place but I approve of it because she rules :discourse:

Azza I just want to say you're a good'un for being willing to listen when someone criticises you and accepting something even if you don't fully understand the nuances. That's genuine class imo :thumbsup:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tarnop posted:

https://twitter.com/JTOpinions/status/1157705073088172033

"Her job was made harder by austerity"

e: catte tax

:lol: Amazing take

Also good catte hope he is enjoying the Dreamies coma

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Currently sat in St Mary's Urgent Treatment Centre in Portsmouth as my kidneys feel like they're going to explode

:ohdear: Hope you're alright bby

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Regarde Aduck posted:

From what I've heard American cops are not trained in any kind of deescalation process. Add to this that they are trained to be terrified of an attack at any moment and you get extremely trigger happy police.

As well as the fact that they think they've above the average citizen so who cares if they just shoot their dog. Lucky they don't shoot them... oh wait.

Cops both in and out of America generally think deescalation and stuff is for pussies who want to get cops killed. When they introduced training for it in some big city (Portland maybe?) a whole mess of cops just outright resigned rather. I mean, good riddance obviously, but it's loving wild that "Let's try and make you a better cop who faces less danger and gets better results" is met with such hostility.

Honestly I'm shocked far more yank cops don't get killed, not because of getting deliberately targeted but because they go in so hard that half the time you wonder other people didn't assume they were under attack by some random psycho rather than a police officer (But I repeat myself :v:) and draw their own piece to retaliate. Or just people getting so raging they do something about it, if someone shot one of my pets I wouldn't be surprised if I reacted... poorly.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Comrade Fakename posted:

But he’s prime minister now. There is no higher office.

Uh it's called World King?

Also dangerously close to Sounding Chat itt atm

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The best Holmes imo is in Elementary, because;

A) He has extremely good observation but they tend to be plausible becasue they're the most likely explanation for something, not just "This bloke's got a hat on, therefore he's the Boston Strangler" but more like "Only two models of car have both this tire track and use the oil formulation that has leaked here so that's what we're looking for".
B) The bulk of what they do is actually sifting through mountains of evidence looking for clues, links, and connections, and pretty much every episode has at least one scene (And typically a breakthrough) there they've got boxes and boxes of documents to go through.
C) Watson becomes very capable as well over the course of the series, and like Holmes, it's shown that this happens because she works incredibly hard at it. Holmes has gifts that make it easier for him but he's also constantly talking about books he read something in, or folios he's studies, or the like. Meanwhile a couple of other characters slowly improve as well, thanks to spending time with them and learning some tricks and insights, but because they don't study intensely they never get to Holmes and Watson's level.
D) The fact that he's a drug addict is a central part of the show and it's shown over and over that actually, being a smackhead is pretty atrocious for his work. He attends meetings. He tries weird gimmicks because he thinks he's too clever for meetings, and gets told off and proven wrong. I've heard it's praised for being a fairly realistic depitction of recovering from addiction, which I couldn't comment on myself, but it passes the smell test at least.
E) I forgot E but I definitely had one

Point is show is on CBS and yeah it's pro-cop shite but aside from that it's actually really good

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 4, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

baka kaba posted:

while I'm posting brits doing US political comedy shows I have to shout out Official Thread Uncle Lembit Opik's space kingdom for anyone who hasn't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtggIsY7qJE

(sorry Ms A)

If you think I'm not going to use nepotism to gain a position as Star Admiral then you better think again

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

baka kaba posted:

But what game roms did you upload for the Asgardian people??

oh god my phone capitalised that :itshappening:

A buggy version of Fantasy World Dizzy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Asgardia most assuredly does not deserve the best, Rarity!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sanford posted:

That’s what I thought! She was wearing green converse, had a tribal tattoo on her arm, and some ungodly red colouring in her hair - all signs of some kind of foreigner in my opinion.

Tell her she can't appropriate alternative dress sense if she's going to be a oval office.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

Thanks for all the kind words about my brother everyone, it's really appreciated.

Just finally got round to signing up as a full member of the Labour Party. I became a registered supporter to vote for Corbyn against Smith, guess now it's time to join in properly.

Been noseing around for local volunteering stuff. There's some homeless charities in the area, but they're explicitly religious so it could be awkward.

Ah yeah I meant to say to your last post, condolences. If it's any small consolation it's heartening that your response to this tragic and difficult time is to throw yourself into trying to help others. :unsmith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure this thread is going to become massively pro land borders just because of the rosette of the person advocating them.

Not a fan of sea borders either but geology continues to thwart me on that.

Not to be a hipster but I'm fed up of all these Pangaea stans, like Kenorland and Vaalbara and Gondwana didn't exist

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

That's what Katie Hopkins is going to be calling earth within a few years.

"This is what it's like being a planet"

"Yeah because you drew a target on yourself and no asteroids are actually heading your way"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Honestly they are too melty and incompetent for me to believe that. They're just a bunch of useless wankers without the brains they were born with.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

The bomb munch is for feeding the monster mosins. Don't feed them after midnight or they turn into DShKs.

Hi I'm still catching up with the thread today but I had to highlight this because it made me lol out loud

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Right lots to get through today;

I hold that cats are unique among the animals, because most everything else is either divided into fully domesticated at humanity's hands, or remains pretty much fully wild. Cats are sort of to the side of this, there are obviously plenty of domestic cats, but as far as I know it didn't happen because anyone said "Yeah we're gonna tame this thing like we have with the goats and the dogs". Cats just kind of showed up one day at the outskirts of our early villages because our nascent food storage attractive a lot of vermin. This made them extremely useful to us so we were fine with that, and over time we got used to each other and developed emotional bonds as well. But there's still a very great deal of the wild in a cat, and the average (healthy) housecat would do just fine if all humans disappeared tomorrow. The relationship has evolved as we developed better ways to keep food safe, and now we just get cats because we like them, but they've never forgotten that this is (Contrary to what Churchill said) perhaps the most equal relationship humans have with any animal. We're so used to everything else deferring to us that a cat's readiness to set her own terms seems outlandishly stubborn and wilful, but in my experience with them it's just that they think we're okay, we think they're okay, it'd be cool to hang out - unchanged from 10,000 years ago.

The transphobia is very bad but that therapist is wild, holy poo poo. HOWEVER!!!

Klepsie posted:

All right, all right, it's taken over 15 years of Camrath nagging me but drops of water wear away a stone. Here I am. I am his friend who's been having issues with the mental health system. There have been some developments (also a few of Cam's original details are, innocently, a bit inaccurate). If there is interest, I can expand.

I am also advised that I should confess that I don't eat chocolate oranges, or chocolate at all, as part of my gritty smack battle to lose some effing weight. (She says, remembering Camrath's home made fudge guiltily)

Welcome to SA, our tran takeover plans are only strengthened. Also solidarity with chocolate non-eaters, in my case because they can provoke migraines (I take the risk sometimes anyway lmao). At any rate, I hope that things get resolved satisfactorily, but whatever happens you'll be welcome in this thread to either ask for advice or just vent, as well as discuss matters of the hour!

Sorry to hear there are people without electricty at the moment, I hope they have backup generators so they can still game. That said, please explain to me how an RBMK reactor explodes, because I'd love to know.

What's wild to me about the vikings is that the ones who showed up earlier were cool and good and we had the Great Heathen Army and Jorvik and a lot of neat influences on language etc., but then the Normans arrived later and were the only group of migrants to this land that should actually have been told to gently caress off home to Normandy because they were poo poo and of everyone involved in 1066 the only outright bad side won. :smith:

e; Oh tabletop roleplaying owns and is cool and good, I think D&D has really taken off between Stranger Things and various podcasts (Critical Role, TAZ, etc.). Our group ostensibly plays weekly; we have managed I think four or five games so far this year :laffo: But also podcasts are super because you can listen while you do other shite, I know some folks listen at work if their job permits it (In the sense of not interfering, I'm not friends with cowards who care what their boss actually says :colbert:) and it's certainly wonderful (Another great McElroy podcast!*) to listen to stuff while playing a video game or whatever.

* Few things bring me as much joy as the sheer amount of love Griffin and Rachel have for each other and their son Henry. The level of adoration when they talk about each other melts this cold bitch's heart.

This is what happens to a people who live in France for centuries.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 9, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Azza Bamboo posted:

If the media is to be trusted, a Corbyn government would be nothing short of a violent Leninist revolution that storms parliament with guns in hand to force the ministers to accede. This can all be deduced from the sinister shape of Corbyn's bicycle, naturally.

Insha'allah.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Was the heatwave really six weeks? We had that one desperately hot week that was capped by The Bad Day that set new records, but other than that it was pretty ordinary? Certainly nothing like last year when all the grass died.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Klepsie posted:

I am getting a referral to the urgent mental health team. This doesn't mean I'm about to be sectioned, right? Right?

Nah, I got referred to same last year and it was basically just "You gonna kill yourself? No? Okay let us know if that changes." Not like they have the funding to section anyone but the most imminently dangerous cases anyway lol

Also huge lol that the guy who 'attempted suicide' wasn't on 24-7 suicide watch like the kind where someone's sitting in with you the entire time. Maybe someone done 'im, maybe someone just made sure he wasn't being watched and had access to a gun/knife/rope/whatever, but either way lmao lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure "I should have a personal harem and child sex ring" is eugenics or transhumanism, but there we go.

"My genes are SO superior that by definition if I breed, my children will be immortal cybernetic ubermenschen!"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Private Speech posted:

Actually he was :eng101:

They apparently just ahh, happened to look away or something. And the cameras were turned off (again, odd how that happens so often when Epstein tries to suicide).

that noise you just heard that was like the laughter of thirsting gods was me, laughing

e; I see the new posts re: cameras but I choose to believe they turned them off until shown otherwise :colbert:

Robot Mil posted:

Most people in prison (in the UK at least) who are on 'suicide watch' aren't literally watched 24/7. It's pretty rare and depends on intent, history, risk factors available means etc. It's really a huge intrusion on privacy and horrible for someone really struggling with their mental health so only reserved for most high risk cases. Most people who actually die by suicide in prison aren't actively on suicide watch procedures at the time.

Of course gently caress knows what goes on in US jails with high profile sex pests who could bring a lot of powerful people down with them.

Sure but given the circumstances, I'd say this case is one where it actually was warranted; I'd argue his possible testimony would be weighty enough to justify it after his previous attempt, and given his prior conviction for related crimes we can at least partially reduce the threshold that says "What if he's not guilty of anything and we're just being vastly intrusive towards an innocent man?"

Like the guy was going to Extremely Federal Prison for the rest of his life on truly epic sex crimes, and is vastly wealthy to boot. If there's a richer target for getting shivved on a daily basis I can't imagine them, we're talking Aryan Brotherhood and Muslims teaming up to make sure the dude is having the most unfun time possible. So even without the unfathomably powerful friends he's got every incentive to off himself, all it would take is for someone to not be watching for a minute.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 10, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nah Lindsay Nagle has never been a good character tbh

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

namesake posted:

Oh god are they really having that date still printed on them?

Amazing. Just an every day, eternal 'fukkin owned lmao' to May.

And on the coinage, these words appear:
We leave the EU, March 29 2019;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

:laffo:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The weirdest thing is that Tipping Point question setters are really lazy so if you do watch a marathon of them (I... may have done this) you'll often hear the same basic question multiple times from slightly different directions (e.g. "Which Queen gave a famous speech at Tilbury before the battle against the Spanish Armada?"/"Queen Elizabeth I gave a famous speech at Tilbury before the battle against who?"/"Where did Queen Elizabeth I give her famous speech before the battle against the Spanish Armada?" is one triplet I remember coming up).

I still stand by my assertion that Tipping Point is the best game show on telly at the minute. Not the highest quality or hardest or whatever, but the most laser-focused on - and well-serving of - its target demographic. You have relatively easy questions (so viewers feel smart), a personable host (who always makes sure to read the full question to settle arguments), and a gameplay mechanic that is hardwired into the pleasure centres of older working-class people.

Though hosted by melts, the best game show on telly is actually Pointless.

At least now that Roy Walker doesn't host Catchphrase anymore.

Coohoolin posted:

The voyager probe has recordings of Bach's violin sonatas played by Arthur Grumiaux as the pinnacle of earthly music and hell, they're not wrong.

:hmmyes:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Julio Cruz posted:

loving :laffo: trust the STEMlords to pick Bach as the best composer

:hmmyes:

(actually if I was sending music to aliens it would just be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDDjBNgwX-U)

(e; what are you some sort of kachaturian stan? rachmaninoff? loving mahler (lol)?)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pochoclo posted:

Please, the true pinnacle of human music is 4 track Amiga 500 demoscene

The poo poo Rob Hubbard did back in the day is loving insane, how did he get these noises out of these machines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EcgruWlXnQ

Julio Cruz posted:

Shostakovich, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, and yes some bits of Mahler are pretty good if you're in the mood for it

Dvorak is one of my faves tbh but everyone in the UK just thinks he's some rando ad bloke in the 70s who did the Hovis theme music :eng99:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

It was blast processing, OP

Also I have to confess I absolutely love Dvorak's work

Paul.Power posted:

I'm not an expert, but you can pick up a few clues by looking at an oscilloscope version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIA_0cvS2gQ

Vib Ribbon 2 lookin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

If they really believed that they wouldn't be wearing the guy's face on a top, they'd be trying to ban wearing Che t-shirts (Which would be futile and dumb in its own way but at least consistent). If you think these assholes are glorifying a murderous rear end in a top hat the answer is not to go look for your own murderous rear end in a top hat to glorify.

e; What am I saying, it's the right, of course that's what their answer is.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 11, 2019