Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heya folks. I am back but not for too long.

Firstly, my brother is getting married next week so I got to go home and tried on the suit I have to wear. At the same time him and his fiance have just purchased an entire house.

It's left me feeling very sad because I haven't done anything and I had a friend who had sent me some stuff on co-dependence and boy howdy did THAT hit a lot of nerves. Like the top one and the bottom one are defo things I have thought/acted on in the before now.

Ended up having a mini breakdown talk to my friend and ended up saying stuff like: "Partially because nothing I do DOES matter. I am not "enough". I've not got the store of self belief or self righteousness or anything to really be sure I stand on anything." and "I am scared that if I do all I'm doing is setting myself up to hurt either others or myself and so I need to keep telling myself I'm a worthless piece of poo poo because then I can't get hurt by anyone. If I hurt myself enough I can not be hurt by anyone else."

I've kind of wandered into a few blind alleys mentally haven't I?

I'm also finding it tricky to treat my mental health as an actual illness, because if I do I'm worried I will use it as a crutch.

Anyway going to be back for tonight and a bit of tomorrow, wanted to just say hello and vomit words everywhere as usual.

Hope everyone is having a good day and can also recommend starting strength. Back when I was going to the gym it worked really well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Recognising where you are is an important step though! That's the thing about this stuff, it clouds your perceptions, and being able to see that is what gives you the ability to do something about it. So yeah don't be ashamed of seeing this or having a strong emotional reaction to it

Yeah I'm sure as gently caress having a strong reaction to it. I've got to hold things together for a little bit as it is my brothers wedding this weekend, but I am going to see if I can get a few days off work to just really give myself some time to start changing things.

OwlFancier posted:

That some people get rewarded a lot more than others has very little bearing on their actual contribution to society. In fact I would suggest that what relation it does have tracks inversely. The more wealthy you are, the more you are taking away from everyone else, on average.

You're a good egg Josef, and I hope one day you can feel like one.

It's more that I have a loving family, a good home life and everything before me and I've just never appreciated it. Now I feel as if I should have done more with what I am. Been more and done more, had something Anything as a goal.

Same, but we'll wait and see on that.

thespaceinvader posted:

FWIW this is very similar to what my brain is currently doing and it sucks and it's hard to see where 'out' is.

Let's both find it?

I hope we both do. Keep safe pal.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

BalloonFish posted:

Those that did show up were ripe for politicisation by the foremen, shop stewards and junior managers who had (to their great displeasure) been seconded from Turin to get things moving at the new factory. The harder management tried to carry out a one-factory overnight Industrial Revolution the more bitter the atmosphere became. Productivity and build quality was predictably dire.

I love stories like this. Thank you for telling it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I much prefer cars, even if you crash you can (now at least) usually walk away.

Bikes on the other hand seem like screaming death traps...

So where do I buy a bike? Out of interest?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh dear lord the jokes are coming thick and fast.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I asked this a while back, but does anyone have an article or a book about why our media landscape is so poo poo?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Sorry I should clarify that a bit more: Why are our political commentators within our media landscape so poo poo?

Like, why is it that none of them have any sort of long term nuance to their thinking? Why do they get continually blindsided by things?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I more mean there just doesn't seem to be a lot of introspection or long form "let's talk about how things work, and who benefits" style of thing.

The fact that so many of them seem so utterly pleased with themselves whilst contributing nothing always strikes me as the most insane thing though.

Also very tired at the moment, brain keeps running over itself and I'm having difficulty concentrating.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 14, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Also why are middle class people so prevelent everywhere and seem so shocked when folks disagree with them?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Why do people do that? Why put others down to build yourself up?

Also, is there any such thing as intelligence? Do we have enough time to learn everything we need/should do about the world?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I dislike my job but it's important for the people that I at least put in the effort to appear happy and approachable to answer their questions.

I will never understand how people can just do nothing. Even when I am doing nothing I am at least on SA.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

I think twitter is a big part of this - you have this bubble of smart people who know what's up, and get paid a decent amount of money to espouse their wisdom (further confirmation that they're in the right) who occupy most of the sensible media

and now they actively get to hear everyone going lol in their faces, suddenly other parts of society have a voice, and they see things differently???
no, it is the children who are wrong

Doesn't anyone ever go "maybe I'm wrong and an idiot" why have we made it so hard as a society to go "I may not know this thing/ be able to have an opinion on that"/

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do you particularly dislike your job or do you just dislike how little it pays?

I dislike that it feels like I am not helping people, and I dislike that I am often bored. But it is mainly the pay thing tbh.

I'd love to work somewhere where I could eventually afford a house just by talking to people.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It does seem odd how little Watson seems to do.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is he sort of what John Prescott used to be? Because there would be precedent for being not entirely politically congruent with the leadership of the party and also being visible but out of the way and doing nothing at the same time.

I don't think Prescott was continually briefing against Blair (though I wish he had been)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I am loving this, it#s incredible to watch so many of the FBPE people set themselves on fire.

It also means that a lot of people are now having to look at the folks in charge and question them, which I think is always good.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 15, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I've gone out and had a few beers.

Had fun, chatted with a person who has apparently been interested in me for a bit, but now isn't so much. They are really cool, but I don't want to push things.

I am so tired. Hope everyone is well
Love
Josef.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think this is going to make a lot of the FBPE poo poo themselves inside out because the Lib dems are so used to getting simple questions thrown at them and having a canned "stop Brexit" thing to throw out that this is causing a lot of them to have to think for the first time in ages.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Wow, that's certainly a thing. Did anyone seriously think that the mask would come off that loving fast and hard?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Currently trying to explain in crayon to melts on Facebook why it's not outrageous for the leader of the opposition, the second largest party in the house, to suggest that he should lead the unity government rather than an 80 year old Tory and a Blairite.

I think they just want to have power. Ask why it should be the other folks and not Corbyn, if it doesn't matter who heads it why would you care so much about Corbyn leading it?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Miftan posted:

.. Is she saying that Corbyn has been prime minister for 4 years? That's even more wild than saying he's made the life of every jew in Britain miserable.

E nvm I read it wrong. That tweet could use some punctuation.

Could I ask something, why does this particular set of ideas depress me than all the others? Why is Anti-Semitism being used to attack someone who has, at the very least, been apologetic and kind about loving up so much more depressing than anything else flung at Corbyn?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I have grown to hate the buskers that play near me. Mainly because I have now had to listen to Motherfucking WONDERWALL AND HALLELUJAH being butchered for hours on end. It's always the same songs too. It's driving me loving insane and I can't wait till winter comes and they stop being able to play music.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I can put up with a lot, but people not playing music well and mumbling songs makes me want to jab an ice pick into my own eye socket.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Chuka Umana posted:

The kestrel is so adorable!!

Don't do this to yourself!

Seriously!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Post about nicer stuff.

My brother is getting married on Monday.

We are very different people, but I love him a lot and wish him and his fiance every happiness in the world.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Congrats to him.

Do you have to do a speech?

Just a reading, in my case "How do I love thee" by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'd really rather not watch Threads at all.

Instead I'm probably going to have a pint with my friends and maybe run a one shot horror game.

I've also booked off most of the first bit of November so if I need to start scavenging the blasted wastes at least I won't need to be in work.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Back from my brothers wedding. It was lovely, him and his wife are all married and love each other very much and did the most "on brand" thing for them that they can do in that they gave people presents during one of the speeches to say thank you for coming.

I got to have a lot of talks with my cousins and meet up with Bens friends and with the family. We now have a few more cousins part of it, one of them who was born abroad is possibly the happiest baby I have seen in my life, I've never encountered one who is just constantly smiling!

The food was lovely, I got to wear a rather nice suit and enjoy a day out with the family.

Now I am probably going to crash like I usually do having seen my folks, but it was very good fun being there with all of them.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

baka kaba posted:

awww yeah, glad it was a good experience bud

Thanks mate.

It was just nice to be around folks. I think I am going to take another break from SA for a bit.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

As a quick thing, how are we supposed to prevent folks taking money out of the country if we start putting up more taxes on things?

Alongside that, why has no one ever thought about plonking a battalion in the Camen Islands and going "this is ours now"?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I more mean in general. It seems so strange to me that if/when the world catches on fire all of these loving moronic people who believe themselves to be titans of industry or Randian Ubermensch think that money and coin are going to be useful. Or that the heavily armed personal guards will not hesitate to execute them and live in the palaces they build for themselves.

I just don't get it at all.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Party Boat posted:

UKMT August 2019 - we (UK) should simply invade the Cayman Islands peacefully

HA!

Also, sorry for misspelling "Cayman"!

Gonna be honest here folks, not feeling my best atm. I am still on the waiting list for therapy but have been for about a year. Alongside that, does anyone else think about killing themselves every day? It's become such a regular drum beat inside my head that I barely even notice it, but then I'm around normal folks and suddenly realise "Oh nooo, this isn't how folks usually feel"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Chuka Umana posted:

Try seeing someone who can prescribe medication. It won’t fix everything, but it may put you on a good footing until you get into seeing a therapist.

Oh I am already on meds. 100 mg of sertraline per day. I swear London goes through so much of the stuff that the fish in the Thames must be perpetually blissed out.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

My sister's been in internal medicine for a whole bunch of years now and occasionally sees people who do the paracetamol thing.

It's not a recommendation according to her. Lots of no-fun on the way out and God help you if you're rescued.

It fucks your liver from what I've heard?

Also, I've just gotten the idea in place, but it's going to be a long scale plan, but one I can put into action quickly if necessary.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tarnop posted:

Josef, if this is a new development since you were referred for therapy then please see your GP or contact the local IAPT team. They often have priority referrals for therapy, and I've been seen inside of 3 weeks once it got to the point of making plans.

Oh no this is a plan I've had for... well I think it works out at about 5 years now? I have no intention of acting on it whilst my mum and dad are still around and cogent enough to miss me, so I've got a good 20 years or so of shitposting left in me. But it is always best to have something ready and prepared for if the worst happens.

It's like how I've prepared some clothes and stuff to take with me if I ever need to leave and just not come back for a few weeks. Got some things prepared, you know.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think one of the biggest things we have as humans is a "why" to live.

I remember reading a book by Viktor Frankl, someone who survived the holocaust, saying that "Someone who has a why to live can bear almost any how". That is the biggest question I think we all have to grapple with and I am none too sure of the answers on it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Man's search for meaning I think.

Had it recommended to me a few times but never felt the impulse to read it.

Because obviously my why to live is the desolation of my enemies.

I try not to have enemies, I have people I dislike and would punch but I feel bad whenever I think about punching folk. I think I am overcorrecting based on my early love for Warhammer and chopped off limbs.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I try to have ethically valid enemies so marxism has really helped me with that :v:

I like to hope that there is the chance for redemption for everyone, but I think we can draw the line at Nazi's. I looked at the folks bludgeoning SS guards to death with iron bars after the concentration camps were opened up and all I could think was "good".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

that's the right thing to think, in case you were unsure

I know, I just wish it weren't and there was something we could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

That's just my biography, op

I appreciate this was the joke and not "that is a cool band name". Alongside that I think "agoraphobic succubus" is going to be my next DnD character.

Also the best cocktail is a dark and stormy.