Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
This might have gotten lost in the last thread but this happened tonight and it was really sweet

quote:

One of our jam regulars came out as trans tonight by announcing it from the stage after playing a set and the whole bar responded with a round of applause and cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Vlex posted:

Drunkposting from Dublin rather than the Midlands for once - the UK should DEFINITELY not invade, no occupying power is prepared for this kind of consumption

Lol instead of an indyref Big Nicky The Sturge should challenge Bojo to a drinking competition.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Gabh mo leithscéal mo dhearthair, níl Béarla againn. Deirimid as Béarla ach amháin nuair a bhfuil obair le déanamh leis na Sasanaigh againn.

2 years of Irish on duolingo and I think I understood most of that.

Anyway, I've long thought that a UKMT podcast would be easily achievable and probably very good, given the quality of most posters itt. Chapo started out as a recording of a conference call essentially, and it wouldn't be hard to record a group voice chat with some moderation and cut it into something presentable. We only need someone to volunteer doing the editing, I'm poo poo at it and don't have the time.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

ThomasPaine posted:

Well yes, but Irish as a language was largely resurrected in the context of resistance against the British state. Ireland's majority population is still de facto part of the anglosphere - even among catholics - and has been since probably the medieval period (i.e. well before imperial capitalism as we understand became the dominant socio-economic system in Britain).

I love that the prisoners using Irish to communicate in secret called it "Jailteacht".

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm assuming it's easy enough to record a voice chat or something? The first one could just be a round up of the weekly news, someone to host/curate/keep things on topic. We'd also immediately be somewhat popular because as an SA project we'd be chapo/hbomb/Shaun adjacent

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
My god

i don't have access to the full article but even just that first paragraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...sXiJdC3l-E01XTo

quote:

This is tough right now, being a proud and loyal British subject who has lived in, and loved, Ireland for more than 60 years. What is tough is watching the ridiculous behaviour of the Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and his foreign minister, Simon Coveney, trying to destroy, like wilful children, relations with an ancient and friendly neighbour.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jose posted:

That's absolutely hot take thread material

oh dear i just peeked at the comments

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm fairly terrible at the history of this dumb island but has there historically been any point before the last 20 years or so when the people living on Ireland and the people living on GB were not actively trying to kill each other?

glorious cross-island kingdom of dal riada

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Alright so we have a volunteer for editing. If someone has any hot tips on how to record a conference call, I'll be happy to see if I can set something up with the gear i have (zoom 4 and basic mixing desk), but if someone else has a better idea let us know!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Ok so local recordings, share the files on a Google drive, cut em together, release on soundcloud. Reckon we can start with 3 or 4 people, so if you have local recording ability confirm and we can kick it off!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Tesseraction posted:

also remember the entire point of clappers in movies was to help sync the audio: something to consider when beginning local recordings as it helps the editor deal with 3-4 people who probably didn't all press record exactly 4 seconds before the beginning of the main audio for the podcast/discussion

Aye I figured, counting in one, two, three, and then everyone claps three times or something. I reckon this'll work!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Vile scumbag Alan Sugar:
I've reported this tweet for being offensive (read the comments under it to understand why) Ed: This is the only tweet I have ever reported.

https://twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/1156897022265430018

Lol at George Galloway asking the Pope to tell off lord sugar

Hah, beaten

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yes, goon projects are notorious for their success.

Still, I think it’s a good idea (if for no other reason than to hear Coohoolin’s affected Scottish accent), and it should obviously be called “Do You Have Stairs In Your House?”

My incredibly sexy dulcet tones will make the podcast a success with the thirstiest of parasocial seeking shut-ins.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Trin Tragula posted:

Have Ye Stairs In Yer Hoose, Mac

Donald Whaur's Yer Hoose Stairs

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Helith posted:

Re: Chip chat.

The answer down here in Australia would be Chicken Salt :australia:

Is that like aromat or something because I've been putting aromat and other maggi seasonings on my fries since I was a kid

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Sam Seder is a pro follow, especially for his hilarious debates with libertarians

https://youtu.be/dlN9plBx6Ho

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I can't believe no one has figured out that the theme tune to UKMP is going to a sick mandolin solo

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I checked the spreadsheet earlier today and it seems like only a handful of people currently have local recording options. Shall we pick a date and time and have a preliminary chat to see how it works?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Barry Foster posted:

Trump will stomp him into the ground. They're both senile old racist bastards, but Trump's got that psycho energy

Have you ever heard Biden talk at length? He's the absolute epitome of the patronising, self-congratulating liberal white guy. The first and only time I have I had to turn the interview off, I viscerally hated him within fifteen seconds

https://youtu.be/PjeKNdQ1jmA

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Hahaha I love it when these fucks out themselves

https://twitter.com/carmic3/status/1158656420474163200?s=19

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Ooft.

There's also been a bunch of headlines today about Ruth Davidson being thrown under the bus by Tory HQ, haven't bothered reading what the craic is exactly but I'm enjoying the pre-2014 nostalgia.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Guavanaut posted:

e: ^^^ How would a Lab/SNP coalition work if there's a Labour minority in England and Wales? Making every law GB/UK in scope, or just hoping that Sinn Fein take their seats the SNP vote on devolved issues outside of Scotland?

Hmm, I suspect the SNP would be willing to overlook the West Lothian question to support a government that had made adequate concessions to devolution/funding/indyref holding.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'll be there, just need someone to explain how discord works because I think I've used it once before and forgot

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Ah just like they did at Aberdeen City Council lol

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Hey I'm trying to log into Discord but it tells me to "claim this account" and when I do it tells me the email is already registered, so I'm off to hunt for whatever login is the right one.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

lol she sings like the tween popstars who overdo everything because they think "adult" and "proper" singing means sounding like mariah carey

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Lol look at his wee hair popping out

Lol top bantz https://imgur.com/gallery/dzmtrXV

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

CGI Stardust posted:

Someone's twanging her vocal cords and sliding up them. I guess it's not digitally altered in any way, but I have no idea how she does that.

It's powerful stuff, I can't stop laughing, help.

It's all standard singing techniques, like glissando and voice breaking, but she's doing it literally everywhere she can, which, again, is what tweens trying to sound grown up do. They're best used sparingly to emphasise crescendos and dynamic inflections.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The family of one of my students keeps stick insects as pets. They're really cool but they breed like crazy and pretty drat big so you gotta watch out not to squash a loving living stick chilling out in the doorway or something

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What they just wander the house?

They have a large pot with plants they live in but you will see them just trodding about here and there. They move a lot at night, apparently they have to be really careful if they get up at night to not step on them.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

keep punching joe posted:

Haha Scottish Labour is finally eating itself. Thanks John.

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1159502363356532736?s=19

I am VERY on board for Scotlab to start supporting independence officially

lol this thread would suddenly be super for it

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Total Meatlove posted:

If you’re a fan of democracy and democratic principles then you don’t pick and choose to support self determination and democracy when it suits Coohoolin

Rangers still aren't the same club as before no matter what the self determine as, sorry.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

thanks, i sent this to my medieval history phd friend and she's currently at loss for words

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Oh also I've been reliably informed that the Vikings didn't appear in Britain until the 8th century, not the 5th, as the BBC history thing says.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

communism bitch posted:

I presume they're mixing up Scandinavians with Saxons? The Romans brought a fuckload of Saxon auxiliaries into Britain in the 3rd and 4th centuries to try and keep control of the province while the western empire was going down the shitter. Left to their own devices most of the Saxons decided to take over the joint and invite a bunch of their mates over in the following couple centuries.
But Scandinavians were knocking around all over the place anyway because places like Norway are shitholes with no arable land, so there's a big incentive getting out and about.

My source is a Norwegian PHD student of medieval history and has keynote speeches under her belt at a pretty young age, but it was just a fb message so didn't go in depth.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
It does really seem like they just hang around Westminster bars getting sloshed and then cribbing together whatever drunken notes they took. Jesus I mean I drink at work but at least I play the right songs.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The voyager probe has recordings of Bach's violin sonatas played by Arthur Grumiaux as the pinnacle of earthly music and hell, they're not wrong.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Julio Cruz posted:

loving :laffo: trust the STEMlords to pick Bach as the best composer

I studied the humanities???

Edit: also my favourite composer is Beethoven, but there's something ineffably magical and perfect about some of Bach's pieces, especially the violin sonatas and partitas.

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 11, 2019

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Miftan posted:

It takes a lot of effort to compose something that is aesthetically pleasing to a lot of people. It's impressive on a technical level - it's just not for me. :shrug:

If you are interested, I have a small selection of pieces saved that I've found resonate very well with people who don't think they "get" classical music. I'd be happy to fire off a PM if you're curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Julio Cruz posted:

unless you were part of the team who fired a rocket into space I wasn’t talking about you

Ah right lol sorry thought that was a dig at me

Tbf the fact they went for grumiaux vs like, menuhin works against that point