Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Miftan posted:

That sounds cool, but I don't have pms. Can you message me on discord?

Will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
There seems to be an epidemic in Aberdeen of kids driving around in cars at 1am throwing eggs at folk standing outside pubs and bars. Stay safe pub smoking goons

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The Scottish government have launched a support program for EU nationals needing help with the settlement scheme, including a phone number for free expert advice.

https://www.mygov.scot/eu-exit-citizens/

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

Left that a bit late

We were wondering why something like this hadn't already been launched, but the settlement scheme deadline is June 2021 and it's probably a pain to set up so I'm happy and very very relieved.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Private Speech posted:

AFAIK that deadline only applies if there's a deal, though I'm not entirely clear on that.

Come to think of it so is everyone else.

Yeah no one loving knows but at least now I have a helpline and free support I can phone up to help me prove my drat residency.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Hmm I wonder why I might be relieved by a support network from the government that wants me to stay rather than from the government that wants me to leave.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

communism bitch posted:

lol

So my dea dear sister's birthday is tomorrow and has asked that instead of giving her gifts we donate to a fundraiser she is doing. Which is all very nice, but she's raising money for PETA UK. I don't want to be a dickhead to my sister but I also don't want to give money to those wankers. What do?

https://youtu.be/YwqWbfK9TXA

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Josef bugman posted:

I asked this a while back, but does anyone have an article or a book about why our media landscape is so poo poo?

Flat Earth News by Nick Davies

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Josef bugman posted:

I more mean there just doesn't seem to be a lot of introspection or long form "let's talk about how things work, and who benefits" style of thing.

The fact that so many of them seem so utterly pleased with themselves whilst contributing nothing always strikes me as the most insane thing though.

Also very tired at the moment, brain keeps running over itself and I'm having difficulty concentrating.

Absolutely flat earth news.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Josef bugman posted:

Also why are middle class people so prevelent everywhere and seem so shocked when folks disagree with them?

You know what's funny, when I did my work placement my boss seemed to have a chip on their shoulder the whole time and i think it's because I was European and went to uni and they considered themselves less middle class than me because they got their journalism degree at a college, it resulted in weird stuff like a forceful defense of Laura kuenssberg from an avowedly leftist person.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Lol coolcab got probed in the c spam thread for pulling his "all nationalism is always bad" schtick

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I like regarde aduck, I remember fondly the meltdown where they called me a Khmer rouge for supporting Scottish independence

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
One time I called rangers fans huns and someone complained so I apologised and didn't ever post it again and everyone moved on.

Maybe take that as a learning experience.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Jesus christ everyone chill the gently caress out

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm really mad about this poo poo

Edit: the Jewish stuff, that is

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Relevant:

https://youtu.be/TYZBKqemQrU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I was gonna post something snarky about going back to "constructive ambiguity" but it seems to have been a rather tenuous headline. Still not super great, mind.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...obox=1566204278

quote:

He did not rule out the Labour party officially being neutral in any second referendum on Brexit. Labour has said it would go into a general election promising a referendum on Brexit, with voters given the choice between backing remain and a credible leave option. McDonnell said he personally would campaign for remain. But asked if he would be happy for the party as a whole to be “agnostic” on the issue, McDonnell replied:

That’s one of the issues we’ve got to debate in the party. You know our democratic processes. I know people get frustrated with this ... but we’re a democratic party.

quote:

Q: Could Labour remain neutral in a second referendum on Brexit?
Corbyn says he wants to bring people together. There has to be an understanding of why particular communities voted leave. He is offering policies that would transform society, he says.
He says Labour would make sure people have the final say and the final choice.

Corbyn refuses to rule out Labour officially remaining neutral in a second referendum on Brexit held after a general election.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

OwlFancier posted:

That's literally how a referendum is supposed to work, though? Why call one if the officiating body wants one of the outcomes to win?

A referendum is when you have two options that you're willing to do so you ask everyone which one they want.

Sure maybe but do you see this playing well with the public given what we've seen so far?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Maybe I'm late to the party but I recently discovered this singer/poet K'naan and I'm super digging it, pro click here

https://youtu.be/tPfzN6B3nj8

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I've added acoustic versions of I Miss You and Dear Maria Count Me In to my setlist, this weekend is gonna be a banger

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Everybody wants to be Paxman and get famous for asking tough questions, but since they don't know why they're asking them or how to follow them up we just have this weird political landscape where interviewers are hostile and interviewees are prepped to be evasive and loving nothing ever gets answered.

E: Having interviewers just ask normal questions and call people out for lying would be a huge improvement, I agree. If loving QI can do realtime fact checking, the news has absolutely no excuse.

I was gonna say this, with the added reminder of that time a BBC host accused a wheelchair ridden guy who'd been knocked out of his wheelchair by the polis at a protest of lying. I can't find the footage but it's been posted itt before so if anyone has it available please do the needful.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I think it was during the big student protests back in what, 2012? The ones where cop agitators threw bricks through bank windows and then accused the students of doing it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

I'm assuming that's a mistake, as it makes no political sense whatsoever for the SNP to stop a GE from happening.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I've deliberately kept a few years of lag on my video game purchases, so I end up choosing what to play with the benefit of hindsight and it's all cheaper. I got the Witcher 3 last year with all the expansions for 15 quid and it's given me like 500 hours worth of gameplay so far, and will probably give me more- still haven't done my new game plus run.

Every now and then I'll just pop into cex and pick up something 3 or 4 years old I wanted to play when it came out but never did for like a fiver. Am I gently caress paying 60 quid for the latest asscreed when I get pretty much the same game for a fraction of the price, just two years older.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Daily reminder that ALAB and Mao was right

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10219980726974469&id=1411683483

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Niric posted:

This seems unlikely :scotland:

My partner is taking me to the Glenfiddich festival next weekend and has asked me to please not tell anyone my favourite whiskey is Green Spot.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Guavanaut posted:

John Major #dictatorship under HM Ruth would be the most surreal result.

Green Spot isn't a Jamesons though?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

Stop by the Glen Grant distillery in Rothes on the way to Dufftown, look at the garden, leave a positive review about it on Trip Advisor coz it's my dad who maintains it.

Will try! Looking forward to getting hammered free whiskey and seeing Franz Ferdinand and *checks notes* Twin Atlantic play live.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

tagesschau posted:

He also misspelled Giuseppe. :sad:

Tbf that's something literally 99% of Americans will do

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Igotadigbick posted:

I have a mighty need to play some wow classic, but my mac died and I am too poor to fix it or get a new, better, not-a-loving-mac PC.

My mac screen needed replacing, I dropped 550 on a new screen, and in the worst luck I've had all year, that somehow cracked 2 weeks later. The guys in the shop were really sympathetic, tried to get the supplier to send a new one, but no dice. Then one of them sold me his gaming laptop for 500 quid off a 1500 retail price. Nice dudes. Cost me all my savings, but hey.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

quote:

The legal case against suspension of parliament in the Scottish courts today. Amused to learn it rests on the 1689 Claim of Right, which makes clear that in Scots law the Queen is subordinate to the people, and lists prorogation as an example of a tyrannical abuse by Charles II.

Keep pointing out that the civil wars / glorious revolution are right at the heart of modern Britain!

Full details https://twitter.com/GrayInGlasgow

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Glad you like it guys, I certainly had a lot of fun doing it!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'd like to point out that in the lost episode, I got 4/4 on comment or commentariat, and I'm mostly sad about my great success never making the light of day.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The only ska band I like is Ska-P

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Btw guys good news, I was chatting to the DJ at my local last night and apparently pop punk is coming back in a big way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
lol i'm watching the awful tom cruise mummy movie, imagining the producers being like "yeah so archaeologists are cool, but you know what else is cool? SOLDIERS" so they made the two grave robbing guys into... archaeology soldiers.