Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
August thread off to a highbrow start, then :coffeepal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Julio Cruz posted:

Philosophical Cat-Sitting Question of the Day:

if you were going to eat tinned cat food, would you prefer it room temperature or cold out of the fridge?

Don't eat the cat's food, OP :catstare:

Tacit rule of cat sitting. It shouldn't need to be said.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
And now on BBC1, Cooking with Meth! With Phil Mitchell.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I miss Tudor Specials.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Miftan posted:

If we're doing a podcast I demand a 2 minute segment on chocolate oranges. :colbert:

I'd be up for it if we need more people or if there's a topic within my vague area of knowledge, but I'm not sure what I'd add otherwise. We could do an all jew episode about labour antisemitism! :jewish:

You grew up in Israel, didn't you? I for one would have a lot of questions about your thoughts on anti-semitism and "anti-semitism".

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

AceClown posted:

I like that bit in the middle you get at the end, my brain knows it's exactly the same chocolate as the segments but its the nicest bit.

There's definitely something in that. Like how twirls are nicer than solid dairy milk, even though it's probably the same chocolate.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Jose posted:

It's gross imo that job centre workers refer to us as customers

Was talking to someone last night who a few weeks ago had to sign on for the first time in years. He said his advisor was a man of around 60 years old who signed the "job seeker agreement" as Dr. Turned out he had a PhD in philosophy. My friend singing on has a PhD in history. Apparently a lovely man who was upfront about the fact that he just needed a job to survive and set out everything in a way that gave a definite impression that he knew perfectly well how ridiculous it all had become.

crispix fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 2, 2019

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

HopperUK posted:

I think we can do better than to insult a woman's looks, can't we? Like insulting her repulsive politics.

Yeah, you're right. Anger got the better of me.

crispix fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 2, 2019

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

winegums posted:

Bit of a yes, and ho! post, but....

I just learnt about the West Brom FC boiler mascot who came about after the club got sponsored by a boiler company.

Corbyn should put "football clubs will be returned to the hands of their members" as a manifesto pledge. The general corporatisation of football and gentrification of some teams is quite interesting to me as an outsider who doesn't really watch football; but the low-level complaints fans have about disenfranchisement from their teams seems like an easy way to get lots of people who are ostensibly non-political on-board.

That's actually my dream man, OP.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

It would appear the second one there is the Grover mezzanine bathroom design. The inset where the bathtub is actually overhangs the building on the outside so you just pull the plug out of the tub when you're done and the water gushes onto the ground outside. Really saves money on waste pipes :coffeepal:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I really don't think the internet is an appropriate medium for humour/silliness :mad:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Sanford posted:

Good to see my neighbourhood getting the priorities right when it comes to a local noise nuisance.

So presumably blasting Chaz and Dave and The Wurzels all night long is fine? :banjo:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

WhatEvil posted:

Thing is though he can be funny if he wants to be... it's just that the American evening viewing audience doesn't want that.

Like seriously have you watched any of the "late night" shows? Colbert, Conan, Jimmy Fallon? It's all just the lamest kind of humour. All the 'jokes' are just stating really obvious stuff or saying something and then showing a picture of a photoshop or something for the punchline.

"Trump did a thing today, he's an idiot"
*HAHAHAHAHAHA*

I went to see some stand-up nights over there with my ex mostly in Cincinnati and it's a very different thing as well. It felt like people were there to get their money's worth of laughs for the night and they just laughed at any lovely old observation or joke. The first time I might have been suspicious that the venue had had stuffed the place with people paid to laugh but my ex was joining in too. Seems Americans are a lot more kind to stand-ups

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I will never forget the one bloke who had people in stitches almost entirely because he was from Minnesota and had a thick accent. I am jealous of people who so easily find and exploit their niche in this world.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

CGI Stardust posted:

Ah yes, they were absolutely going to start attacking the Tories this summer, absolutely, that's when they were going to start attacking the Tories, yes indeed. If only, if only, they'd had a chance to start doing that earlier, but alas! Might have thought a little introspection was in order about precisely why a left-leaning membership didn't like them and why they hadn't engaged with their CLP earlier, if they're that worried.

Also, isn't Thangam Debbonaire quite popular locally or am I misremembering?

That ~20 years ago Afroman song comes to mind. Ah wuz gonna fite the tories, but ah got haaigh :sax: (on my own farts)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Peter Manion really hit the hard stuff eh?

That's my one.

Some men seem to hit a certain age and they suddenly take on the appearance of tired upholstery.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

radmonger posted:

Most working class people are not really that racist; the claim that they are is one made by liberals in an attempt to avoid addressing their concerns.

There are a lot of really racist people out there, OP.

And a hell of a lot more who don't really think the racists are bad enough to kick up a fuss.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Firos posted:

What do we think is a more terrible/incurable ailment, brain spiders or brain worms?

To me there is an important distinction between the conditions. Brain worms are present in the terminally hard of thinking; they generally feast on the brains of those who long ago gave up reasoning because slogans and platitudes are so much easier to produce and what more do you need when you are convinced that you are right because you are you. I see brain spiders as a much more dangerous and malignant condition because they energetically weave in the infected brain complex webs of utter nonsense that defy reason but that the afflicted person takes to be sage wisdom that must be shared with lesser beings.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Civil activist is an inappropriate term for Nazi imo.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
You want to be careful you don't go and get fat ankles, whatever you do. Nothing worse than going and getting fat ankles.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

I still chuckle that someone from my old workplace thought it was a good idea to put up a 'HAVE YOU SEEN MADDIE' in our work canteen back when she disappeared.
In a business estate in Dublin.

Imagine if she'd shown up in a stationery cupboard, though. If the person going into the cupboard hadn't seen the poster they would not have known the child in there was her and would have just gone about their day instead, with their box of staples that they need and also the highlighter that they don't need but that they really fancy a sniff of in private.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Bardeh posted:

:chloe:

https://twitter.com/marcus44/status/1161320184185012224

There are actually people out there who think like this? :wtc:

Angelos Epithemiou has aged like poo poo.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Necrothatcher posted:

I uh, walked into the wrong off licence on holiday.

Entschuldigung, bitte, aber wo sind die Hitlerchips? :confused:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Digby Chicken Caesar has bottomed out :(

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Josef bugman posted:

Could I ask something, why does this particular set of ideas depress me than all the others? Why is Anti-Semitism being used to attack someone who has, at the very least, been apologetic and kind about loving up so much more depressing than anything else flung at Corbyn?

Smear campaigns are nothing new. It's just the duration and persistence of this one that's unusual.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I live in fear of having my life ruined by the Board of Deputies because in Civ 4 I never adopted Judaism as my state religion :(

It was only because I didn't like the little tune that played every time it spread in one of my cities. It was too loud, it did my head in.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I'm not happy with Ken Clarke being caretaker PM because he is a rabid capitalist, a Tory MP and (almost goes without saying) rumoured nonce.

And Harriet Harmon is a sleazebag of just the same loving magnitude.

gently caress these people.

crispix fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 17, 2019

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah so I think "being a nazi war criminal" isn't necessarily like, a "bannable offense" or whatever, but lying on a visa application definitely is.

In other news, my friend's facebook post:

I can remember when I was wee there being tokens on marmalade jars that you collected to get... one of those things. I brought this up last year with someone around the same age as me and I don't think he believed me. I'm sure I can remember it, though.

Every bloody Christmas without fail my ma gets a few sherries in her and talks about how she always wanted a darkie doll when she was wee but never got one. This was apparently just a doll with dark skin that was actually sold with that name :/

I once made the mistake of asking why exactly she wanted such a doll and this lead to her telling me she would have loved me to have been a little black boy. Still haven't made sense of that tbh.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

WhatEvil posted:

Scrolled through all the replies. There was one who posted a gif of somebody yawning, and another with somebody posting the crying-laughing emoji 4 times, other than that they're all supportive, including one from Diane Abbott.

Old people for some reason seem to think the crying-laughing emojicon-smiley is just crying, though :/

It's possible it was well intentioned.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

My nan would steam off labels for the tokens thinking it was like the smoking tokens you used to get in packs of Regal.
For things you could then get from a catalog. I think she ditched them when she found out they were worthless.
Still kept collecting the cigarette ones though.

I'll bet she kicked off. Old people take coupons/tokens extremely seriously in my experience. What on earth did one get for collecting feg packet tokens, though?

Besides respiratory problems, i mean

crispix fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 17, 2019

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Josef bugman posted:

I have grown to hate the buskers that play near me. Mainly because I have now had to listen to Motherfucking WONDERWALL AND HALLELUJAH being butchered for hours on end. It's always the same songs too. It's driving me loving insane and I can't wait till winter comes and they stop being able to play music.

Grumpy :sissies:

I lived in Edinburgh for ~5 years. Bagpipe buskers were the loving worst. It's kinda funny the first time you hear the theme from Star Wars played on them but after a few hours it becomes a form of torture.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
There is an old man in Belfast who has played Hava Nagila and two other tunes that I can't name (but know every note of now) on the fiddle all day at the same spot for about 15 years. There were videos uploaded of the old Primark building burning down last year and in some of them you could hear him fiddling away in the distance.

He does a full bow when you put money in his case without breaking stride at all. I think that's an art form in itself tbh, especially given his age

crispix fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 17, 2019

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

Omagh used to have two great buskers.

Artyg, a true legend. Once played with Deep Purple, spent his time busking full drunk outside Wellworths. There's now a plaque where he used to be, hes dead now. He was that well known.
His death was in the Irish Times too: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/busker-with-a-free-spirit-and-heart-of-gold-1.987735

And Pink Panther man. He played the flute, and only knew one tune that gave him his name. He would play for HOURS.

I remember Wellworths :)

In my memory, everything in Wellworths was beige. The checkout ladies in the one in my town were that proper old school breed of checkout lady that is very rare to find these days. They would deliberately scan most other ladies' items (and also those of Peter Pansy, the town's only openly 1990s homosexual) at snail's pace so they could have a good, long gossip. People they had no interest in would on the other hand see their items pass through a blur of flailing arms onto the other side of the checkout at a speed that seemed to defy the laws of physics, and usually wouldn't even get eye contact, and would definitely get sighs and eye rolls if they dared do something so inconsiderate as start counting out change or getting out a cheque book. I remember one lady in particular who had a bowl cut hairdo dyed in that really much too black shade of black that hair dye used to be and for some reason she had decided to do away with her eyebrows and draw on pencil lines instead. To this day I'm not sure if she really was a perpetually angry woman or if it was just the way she drew on her eyebrows that gave that impression.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Shuht thee meuth, Cyaspugh.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Ms Adequate posted:

Realtalk the idea of telling the people of Belfast that they've got to let Harland and Wolff shut down is the wildest and most dangerous thing ever done. I'm shocked it hasn't produced an alliance between the 'ra and UVF to use whatever means necessary to save it. If Dublin put something out in the morning saying "We'd nationalize it and run it indefinitely" the island would be reunited before you could finish your Ulster fry for breakfast.

I am genuinely surprised that the DUP has been so openly callous about it. The ship yard is such a massive part of what the city is. The big yella cranes have always been the first thing I think of when I think of Belfast. I have hoped it countless times before but I really hope this might be a turning point wrt the DUP's polling invincibility.

Chuka Umana posted:

I think Boris is hoping that no one in NI will actually do anything in reaction to a hard border.

That or Boris will suspend Stormont and let the RUC (I know they’re not called that but they’re basically the same thing) sort it all out.

They really loving aren't. This really isn't an okay thing to say :/

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

As far as I can extract from the garbage of the replies she doesn't like that he was protesting with a communist anti apartheid group, or something.

What Harry Potter analogy did she use to explain her reasoning? :shrek:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Can anyone give me the loan of a periwig? I think a photo of me wearing one would add gravitas to my posts online.

I promise I'll powder it before I send it back.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

Can't get any free holidays from H&W.

The DUP are the party of FYGM when it comes to helping.

I just meant that I thought they would at least make an effort to be seen to be on the side of the workers. I was honestly surprised to see that fat, useless gently caress Robinson stand on a street with the cranes in the background basically telling people commerce is cruel, suck it up lol :nyd:

Every election I think they surely have to pay for what they've done but they just start making scary pope noises and so many morons go and vote for them :(

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Really just out of Sunday boredom here that I ask this question. So, centrists/melts as we identify them now - the people who get on our tits by being sufficiently privileged to be able to refuse to recognise the inevitable necessity of ideology in politics and who in most cases are so terminally sheltered and cosseted in their lives that they demand others accept this. Where have all these fuckers come from? :stare:

Like were these people identifiable as a group say 10 years ago in UKMT discussion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

10 years ago they were running the country. Now they are quite unhappy that nobody wants them doing it again.

I know it feels like forever but it's a very short time since the neolib consensus started to show obvious cracks.

I wasn't so much referring to the people who'd been in government. I meant all these hangers-on on the social medias there, pining for a return to everything as it was in 2012 because their consensus is that this was the best everything ever was. It's bizarre. I spent three months in 2012 with excruciating toothache because I was so loving skint it took me that long to get the money together for a root canal. These people always remind me of the spoilt child whose birthday party I went to when I was maybe 7 or 8 years old. He invited the whole class at school. His parents had a big fuckoff marquee up in their massive garden. He opened so many presents, any one of which most of the rest of us would have known better than to ask Santa for because of his budget constraints and having so many kids to give presents to and that.

The little bastard threw the mother of all tantrums about an hour in, because "IT'S NOT THE SAME AS LAST YEAR :mad:". He kept saying it over and over but he couldn't articulate what exactly it was about his last birthday that was better than this one. He got so mad he threw up everywhere and I remember the sick looked like Aquafresh toothpaste because of all the birthday cake he had eaten.

https://i.imgur.com/CFtl2fi.mp4

crispix fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 18, 2019