Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

congressmen being in the reserves is the dumbest poo poo

And if you get deployed while in office do you go? Do you get a waiver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

facialimpediment posted:

You haven't lived until you've shared with the world the extremely important and vital message that THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

That poo poo threw me for a loop when I was doing Information Assurance in 2008 having never done DoD work before.

Still don’t understand the point but when in Rome...

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Vasudus posted:

My solution to dealing with my MENA colleagues has been to just take note of wherever they're from and use that unless I get very specific guidance otherwise. One of the women I mentor is from Sudan and she spent like 20 minutes explaining the political dynamics over there and I was like '...so is it cool to just say Sudanese or do you have a better term' and she was like 'most people can't even point to it on a map, so yes that's fine'. This method however is not foolproof, as one of my teammates is from Iran but uses Persian as their identifier and got kinda salty about it.

edit: and yes, this topic comes up very frequently in my office. We're mega diverse (four white people out of a team of 23) so people talk about their backgrounds all the time.

Did they go into why?

In my experience the friend who’s family left pre-revolution preferred Persian. The friend who’s family left post-revolution preferred Iranian but didn’t think too much about it either way.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

And they’ll be replaced by those “rehabilitation through work” programs.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

psydude posted:

Because someone launched the Fallout mod for the simulation and apparently nuclear-powered-everything is now all the rage.

Project Plowshare is back on boys! Way to juice the economy!!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Dunno about Canada but here in the good ol US of A she had a catchy summer tune a few years ago and then kinda disappeared.

Did she have a better go of it up there?

Typical. King Robot is just dropping his kids off all over the place.

One day he’ll become more responsible. I hope.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

EBB posted:

NPR news reporting has been hot garbage for years, and I used to be a daily listener. It happened over time.

What’s better and gives me news in a podcast form at about 10 minutes every weekday morning?

And the politics podcast seems to be pretty good diving into the issues and causes.

Haven’t listened to the radio broadcasts in years though.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

At the same time, it's worth remembering that both papers have always been conservative establishment bulwarks. Yes, most of their reporting is grounded in facts, but there is a definite slant towards the powers that be and no serious criticism of capital is tolerated - and not just in the editorials, this taints their news coverage. Part of that is that newspapers like that are reliant on access that they're unwilling to risk.

It's just that Fox and OANN are straight up white nationalist propaganda and CNN has lowered the bar for inanity so far that the functional adults still in the room come off like rock stars.

Ok. Who’s the best source for news in 2019?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Crakkerjakk posted:

It's also that Florida has one of the shittiest safety nets in the country, so you get a lot more people with substance abuse or mental health issues basically being left to die on the street than in some other states.

Coupled with extremely liberal records release laws make finding and reporting these stories a fair bit easier then say Wisconsin.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Hexyflexy posted:

He doesn't understand how buying things works does he.

I read somewhere that he acts as if he has a 7th grade understanding of economics.

I’m starting to think that was exceedingly generous.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

sharknado slashfic posted:

I gotta stop reading this thread daily.

I admire you not checking it multiple times a day.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

In fact, a lot of chinese owners of american megafarms benefited more than american farmers from the subsidies to counteract the president's tariffs.

Source? I want to use this for an argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

SimonCat posted:

Possible test balloon for a Primary challenge?

God I hope not. Military Generals seem to have had a rough go of it post Ike.

Vasudus posted:

It's image rehabilitation. He's checking off all the boxes so he won't end up like every other Trump political appointee and get blacklisted from every future administration for all eternity.

He can come back as NSA, DNI, etc. since he was seen as the one reasonable man in the room.

And he’s probably the one that I’d have a the least problem with serving in a future capacity. Too bad Haley and Pence are probably going to avoid being ostracized like the rest of the Trump team after this administration ends.