Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Those of you reading this for the first time, what do you think Johnny's power is going to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

I forgot how hilarious the lead up to the Dio fight is. The dumb snake jokes, the horse acrobatics, the panel where he flips his head around at Johnny and his coffee blindness absolutely slayed me.

I love it when Araki draws weirdos doing weird things.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, I was surprised at how Johnny just figures the whole thing out the moment someone goes for the arm.

First-timers, make a wild guess about who the corpse is.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Seriously though, what is the original joke supposed to be here? I assume it's some kind of untranslatable Japanese wordplay?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

I hate that Ringo Roadagain is a creepy rear end in a top hat with a suicide fetish and the story paints him as some enlightened loner pursuing a greater destiny that's above social norms.
I hate that he gets a flashback to his traumatic past as if it's supposed to make him sympathetic when more interesting characters don't get the same treatment.
I hate that the moral of the story is Gyro trying to be a good person is actually a bad thing and he needs to be more of a cold blooded rear end in a top hat like everyone else.
I hate that Gyro actually kills Ringo like he wants instead of just knocking him out and leaving him behind.
I hate that Gyro is inspired by Ringo's words to the point they magically let him catch up to Diego.

Very cool fight though. I like it even more upon rereading. Shame about the rest but at least that's behind now.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Ringo either. He's kinda presented as being more "noble" than the other terrorists, but I don't think killing someone in a fair duel is any better if you're forcing them into it in the first place. Hot Pants had the right idea, he's a total nutjob.

Also after Ringo explained his ability they could have all just left the orchard by keeping their eye on a watch. I know I'm just nitpicking with this and they don't realize this because then there would be no plot, but it kinda bothers me that there was such an obvious solution to their situation.

With regards to Gyro catching up to Diego: he does in fact do it magically. The corpse parts are moving together. That is how Gyro and Johnny can make up for hours of disadvantage.
While they are focusing on Diego, they can not get past him, because their corpse parts are drawn to his. Once Gyro starts focusing on the goal ahead instead (the spine, which is also Diego's goal), he appears at the same position as Diego.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Bonus non-serious take: Ringo believes he's an rpg character, which is why he thinks he can achieve personal growth by killing people.

Araki is telling us that D&D is the work of the devil.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

Really though, I wouldn't have minded that happening again, what sat unwell with me was that Gyro pulling it off was directly inspired by the lunatic gunman who forced people into duels teaching him a valuable life lesson about going his own way. And that part is still there, in-universe explanation aside so... Oh well. Moving on.

I mean, it's not like he fully adapted Ringo's philosophy. He just managed to find a nugget of gold in a heap of trash.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Arist posted:

Like, Gyro applying the Spin to his skin so it deflects a bullet impact: That's bullshit, but I believe it.

The flattening thing is just hilarious nonsense.

It's like when you spin pizza dough, it gets flat. This makes perfect sense, because Gyro is from Naples.

YggiDee posted:

until they find a Stand user whose Stand power is 'is a Walkman'

I mean, the guy they fight right after that has the ability to store sounds.

Dragonwagon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 2, 2019

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Nah. Diego had no reason to kill Nicholas, he just happened to be around at the time.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

On my first reading I didn't even notice Gyro doing his 4 2 0 gag here.

Johnny Joestar posted:

for the record like everything involving scarlet is some of my least-favorite poo poo in the part. if i had my way i'd find a means to excise it from the story, tbh

Lucy hatching a plan to infiltrate the president's home to harvest his organs, and actually succeeding at it, despite not having any of the magic powers that he and everyone around him does is pretty badass though. I'd say it's on par with Hayato blowing himself up to defuse Okuyasu.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

So why did Valentine need to guide Lucy to the ship with Jesus eye telepathy instead of just having his men take her there?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

part of the idea was so that no one would know where she went

Kinda dumb of him to get his own guys killed for that when he could have just taken her there through a different reality and nobody would be any wiser in this one.

dancingbears posted:

Sandman/Soundman theory

I consider this canon from now on.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

MachuPikacchu posted:

Let's not forget that he's the President of the United States of America, and elections aren't won by chance.

The United States of Valentine, you mean.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

This showdown is going to look so dope when it gets animated five years from now.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Zyla posted:

i think im just a simple person

when there's dio in a story

i love the dio

give me a dio spinoff

gimme into the dioverse

edit : a dozen dios doing dastardly deeds

a diorama

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, come to think of it, what reason would the Johnny and Lucy of the corpseless worlds have to end up where they were in the base world? Did Johnny need the diamonds really badly for some super expensive spine surgery or robot legs or something? Did Lucy eat the diamonds?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

The meteorite made the Devil's Palm, and then the arm started moving it around, I guess.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Jesus is actually Kars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

There are probably countless worlds where things are radically different, but Valentine always goes to one that is fairly similar, since that's where he can find himself nearby.

In worlds that are similar, but Gyro lives, Valentine is most likely already dead.