Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Someone reopen the last thread to out a link to this one at the bottom please and thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does Antimatter Dimensions ever become more than reset to make number bigger faster?

Why can't more games be like Mine Defense where there's more progression than number = bigger?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So I've pretty much seen every mechanic and it's just different ways to reset and go faster?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I reinstalled the app Idle Kingdom Clicker. It's a hex based civ building Android game. I quit playing last year because all there was to do was reset for bigger numbers.

Well there's a tech tree now and you can actually unlock tech to get on new tiles you couldn't before and new buildings etc

The cheapest tech is literal days before it unlocks. So I bounce over to the discord and ask about if I'm doing something wrong and I'm not. The mechanic is just based around having been continually resetting for the last year when there was no other content. The discord crew over there doesn't understand that's bad, dumb, and needs rebalanced. Coming in from only haveing 200k prestige points it's going to still be multiple real life days to get the cheapest upgrade. But it's fine. This is a good mechanic and doesn't need rebalanced at all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

pixaal posted:

That's how a lot of idle games are, devs with h a vision and a small community with a few gently caress you got mine people being in control.

I mean it's kind of games in general, but idle games are the most likely to have a dev that will just keep releasing new content for a year with players actually sticking around the entire time tracking up resources.

It's fine, you just reset every five minutes until you get to a couple million prestige points and then you start researching new things.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

I thought it was a simple Idle game, the kind you play once and then move on as soon as you close the tab.

That's because that's what it is

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just skimmed through 20 pages of thread and it was 95% NGU chat. This genre is pretty much exhausted isn't it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

something posted:

Just hang on til later this year when you can talk nonstop about NGU Industries instead :shepface:

Is it going to be a sequel with an ending? I like the ones that have something to work for and then an end. I've been working on Suicidle but will probably drop it because it feels balanced to take forever/my money

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Eldercain posted:

Most people are trying to extract dollars out of the genre now instead of developing interesting new ideas. The few that aren't so far fall into the short category, but yeah it's kind of going the way of most mobile game development where hoovering money seems to be on the forefront of every system

I don't blame them because it's 2020 and everyone needs a side grift

But I miss when things like Mine Defense or Candy Box were still made

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

shs posted:

It turns out I don't really understand how google play beta stuff works. I'm going to attempt to fix it and try again later today or tomorrow.

Link works for me now

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lufia posted:

It's just a really slow game. There's a chart to know what factor boost to be at before doing a challenge here. But it still takes ~10 hours to get to the next factor boost. Oh and also the booster upgrade that multiplies Tier 1 and 2 works with unspent boosters, so there's some upgrades you don't need when just trying to reach the next FB.

So protip about this game,

This chart is absolutely not the one that come up when you google Ordinal Markup and end up on the wiki for it. Apparently because it's 2020 wikis don't get updated anymore and you're expected to go to a discord and check the pins.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Also if you do to the Discord they're pretty unhelpful and actively tell you incorrect information, I've been on a challenge that's "only supposed to take a day" for a week. I stupidly keep resetting whenever someone there goes "oh actually you need to do X before that"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Fool posted:

Armory and Machine 2 is out on iOS and got a big patch on Android

Only about 20 minutes into it now so haven’t formed any real opinions yet.

Am I missing a mechanic or is this grindy as gently caress?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

skull mask mcgee posted:

I stopped playing once I finished the repair drone(ship?) research because it appeared to get far worse from there in terms of grind.

A shame because the sustain mechanic was kinda interesting.

I think that's where I am. In order to go on explorations I need 500k power and I make a little under 600 a second. To increase that I have to funnel power into a research that's 800k total

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oodles posted:

You’re implying that’s a bad thing?

It's an active grindy as gently caress

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lufia posted:

Ugh Discord. 30 years of internet and we've looped back to AOL chatrooms.

Anyway, anybody else gave Level 13 a try? It's pretty obviously inspired by the exploration element of A Dark Room and I wish I liked it more. As it is, it's really slow paced while also requiring active play, so a swing and a miss for me. I wanna say if Armory and Machine on mobile was your pace, this may be for you. Too grindy for me.

It gets worse because now instead of doing things like writing FAQs or updating wikis people just go "oh there's pins in the discord" because that's findable on search engines.

It's dumb as hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

I've been playing around with Ordinal Markup for the last few days but it is a very slow game and also extremely obtuse

https://www.kongregate.com/games/Patcail/ordinal-markup

I was coming in to post about this

I think i've hit a standstill and i don't know where to go next. The wiki is worthless because it's 2020 and apparently Discord pins are where the most up to date order for doing challenges are

And the discord has a million loving channels and you're supposed to switch channels the second you pass whatever arbitrary point

But according to the pins i should be doing challenge 6x3 right now and i can't seem to get my number above 4.814e50. And the discord community answered my question with, no joke,

quote:

Then 1e100

Which doesn't help in any way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

cum calamity posted:

i am too dumb for this game

yeah i don't understand what i'm doing at all

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samuringa I assume that's you in the Ordinal Markup discord? That boo person is no help at all ever

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Slickdrac posted:

It eventually boils down to that same routine ultimately, but several of the boss fights along the way are interesting to come up with strategy for.

Also, you can use Cheat Engine and speedhack through the grind parts once those lose their luster and start taking an hour or 2.

The upgrade that speeds up gameplay really doesn't speed things up enough. I "beat" the mobile version last night and it's still just okay

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

shs posted:

XXMQ7FQM5EY64SQ3DKCS2ML

Took this guy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone else playing Ordinal Markup still? I've hit a point where i don't know what the best way to proceed is and their discord is garbage.

I've been following the pinned chart in the channel (because apparently the wiki is out of date?) and it's helpful until you hit trying to do an SM20 run where it stops telling you how to spend factor boosts

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tyMz4CLZNoJB3WMGBITmFlI4NpoPV8U4G6Zvkj5-6D8/edit#gid=0

Anyone know how to get through this thing?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

for SM20 you really should be reading the collapse channel chat and it has some good guides on how to tackle the sluggish milestones

This is one of the things that really irks me about their server. Technically I shouldn't be there anymore because I have darkness unlocked. They've got everything out down into these channels but it's actually meaningless because *gasp* you can do things in different orders!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GrossMurpel posted:

These idle game Discord servers with 500 channels are poo poo, who knew. Even kongregate chat is much better for simple beginner questions.
For the sluggish milestones, you pretty much just need to get one or two more aleph upgrades than you had for the last one and then simply go up to the max amount of boosts you're allowed for the milestone and do as many challenges as possible there.
I think they're pretty well balanced but then again I'm still amazed how the booster upgrades and challenges work together. I think the longest SM took me like 6 hours?

For example challenges/incrementy/manifolds are all the same goddamn section

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So according to the helpful ON discord I should have no problems hitting sm15

Somehow I think they're wrong again?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vil posted:

OM has a lot of potential factors that can gently caress you over. This includes giving advice if someone misremembers how high something should be for it to be good enough.

The biggest ones for preparing before going for a SM are:

- aleph upgrades, which in turn require
- aleph power (0-1-2, and if you've got aleph upgrade (AU) 7, aleph omega as well)
- whether you're skipping any previous SMs (SM20 in particular is notably impactful)

And within a run:

- challenge completions of course, with the SM objective limiting which ones are even possible
- challenge 8 decrementy / dark manifold farming
- incrementy / manifold farming (can be done during the final push to BHO; will have some pronounced breakpoints of really speeding up progress)
- booster upgrades used during the final push to BHO (1/2/3 as usual, until your SM target is so low you can't get that)

When in doubt, push to the next aleph upgrade (or however many past that, if they don't seem too far off) and get enough of a stock of aleph power that the multipliers visibly start moving again when you assign it out.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the problem is I'm not at 1e7 on each aleph thing which is what the pinned guide says to be at, but the smug posters in that discord seemed to think I should be significantly farther along than I am. If would be great if you could bulk boost BHO

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Man Ordinal Markup locking better distribution rates for cardinals behind SM10 is lovely. I have 1.23e6 and I can either put them into the three different options one at a time or dump the whole bunch into one tier. And that's bad and lame

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vil posted:

Agreed, the UI should either allow better in-between amounts for manual distribution or unlock the auto distribution much earlier (around 1e4 cardinals tops).

In that light, I have no qualms in letting you know that if you pop into your browser's console (e.g. F12 on Chrome), you can fire it off even without unlocking it by inputting distributeCard()

You're a saint. I have been using an auto clicker to smash the Assign 1 button over and over

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GrossMurpel posted:

Why didn't you click it once and then hold enter? Or just do 3 15 minute collapses where you assign all every time.
E: Don't tell me you clicked a 100 times to get your first markup before you had passive OP gain, too.

BECAUSE I WANTED THE NUMBERS TO BE EQUAL and because of that the thought literally didn't cross my mind presumably as a result of me having the Dumb

And also I used an autoclicker at any point where clicking was needed. For faster cardinal grinding I found a script that mashes S 7 times and then B and just had that repeat while I was asleep

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Speaking of Android idle games, Home Quest recently popped up and I'm having fun with it. Sort of a remixed take on A Dark Room.

Been working through this myself, I just got to where I need to fight trolls and for some reason every time I hit fight my troops immediately retreat. Am I missing a mechanic?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It's not stated anywhere but yes, if your health/attack drop or start below a certain % of the enemy group's, your army automatically retreats. Basically a TPK prevention measure.

Weird, it still does damage to the trolls too

So you can slowly murder them and take no damage back

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Somewhere around there is a group that unlocks a new settlement target when you kill them. It's a bit expensive but completely worth your while to snatch that up; all the structure costs start from base value in the new settlement and I do mean all of them.

Neat, I've got two and a half hours left on that process

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah the idle genre has mostly stalled out to just make the biggest IAP laden hell you can. Pincremental is one that came out recently where the dev took existing public use code and slapped predatory IAP on it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Randalor posted:

It reminds me of some phone idle games, but with less options than those. I stopped playing before I hit the prestige layer, so unless something drastically changes when you prestige for the first time, I'll pass.

I got three layers of resets deep and dropped it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ineptitude posted:

Seen several games in this «sub-genre» lately, e.g. Idle Merge, whose entire gameplay consisted of mashing the merge button (or hold down enter), at least for the hour i played it. Not sure why «idle» was in the name.

As you smash merge you eventually start getting energy and between that and prestige you can automate merging and upgrade buying

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DariusLikewise posted:

Yeah I couldn't really get into the sequel/prequel The Ensign because of the exploration/combat

A Dark Room is worth a second play through if

Basically ignore the villagers and don't force them to do any jobs, you get another ending this way

The Ensign was made by the guy who did the ports of A Dark Room. He got real pissy when it tanked in comparison and he had to go get a job again

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

please knock Mom! posted:

Man, the idle games on iOS are such disgusting cash grabs. I really hate mobile games.

Honestly that's a lot of the genre now, everyone trying to get that sweet sweet whale money

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

dis astranagant posted:

The discord is basically required past mt4 or so. The mechanics get pretty convoluted and undiscoverable after a while and there's very little ingame documentation.

Whoever decided discord pins were the future of incremental help is a monster

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

dis astranagant posted:

You wish it was in pins.

jesus christ

what was wrong with poorly written wikis?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Omi no Kami posted:

Yep- I've changed planets a few times, I just wasn't sure if that was it or I was missing another layer of progression. ^^

It's from the weird spot between games having endings and games lasting forever so that the creator can make money