Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Omi no Kami posted:

While we're talking Evolve, is there a rule of thumb for rebirthing? I unlocked it for the first time, but I've been spending one last stretch trying to bump Knowledge up high enough to grab Shotgun Sequencing in case it gives me another plasmid. I suppose I'm spending too long grinding, but if I'd restarted at 130pop I'd be going out with 1 plasmid instead of like 5.

Spent knowledge (on research) only has a minor effect on plasmid gain compared to population and barracks. For your first MAD reset you want to use it as soon as you'll get ~100 plasmids and ~125 afterwards.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Eldercain posted:

As far as I can tell for the pre-space portion yeah it's all about just getting the most population you possibly can and then nuking. I'm still not super clear on when to spend on crispr but I think 500+phage is where I'm at now? so hopefully I can pick up everything but the cost reductions on this run. Still haven't seen hide nor hair of fancy species or have any idea how to unlock them

You should start getting the first storage and cost reduction upgrades when it won't put you under 250 and keep doing runs until you get 500 and most of the early upgrades and second tier religion before the first space run. The 'secret' species are after the first space reset and another requirement for hell.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
And evolve will substantially increase in speed after the first reset as it unlocks temples.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

nessin posted:

I didn't even realize there were challenges in Evolve so I looked up how to get them, which also showed me the achievements. Holy hell, how are you supposed to unlock everything? I'm only on my 3rd reset and despite people saying it gets quicker it's a barely negligible quicker unless you're paying hyper attention to the game. I can't imagine resetting 30+ times, let alone the special conditions like one race after another or two in a row.

With the basic automation script and some minor attention it's not hard to get 2-3 MAD runs a day once you're a few space resets (and many crispr upgrades) in. Though I actually really don't like the bonus modifier that achievements give and hope it gets completely reworked eventually.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

ok well knowledge sure is a bottleneck

For the first few runs, yeah.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I remember trying bitburner then realizing I can't do coding or logic nearly well enough to figure it out.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Half-wit posted:

What do 'Luxury Goods' made in Factories do in Evolve? As far as I can tell...nothing?

They just give money which might as well be nothing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

pixaal posted:

They have a reduced benefit after 250(+Phage?)

Yes. The exact math in the code is 250+Phage for the start of the reduction.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

something posted:

i don't get it.

should i be able to get it?

1488 is a common neo-nazi thing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Aurora posted:

i don't understand the star thing, is it if i complete an achievement with x amount of challenges i get that tier of star?

Yes. And each extra challenge is ,25% extra multiplier. It's honestly my least favourite part of evolve and I wish it would be rebalanced around it not existing. The challenges for bonus traits are far more entertaining and better for the game, imo.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Magres posted:

Why are Antids after Ents considered so strong in Evolve?

Antid's bonus is that the more working a job the better its bonuses get. Ents remove wood requirements. So you stack everything that would have been on wood on stone which makes everything much faster.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It's one of those things that's not really worth doing unless you're going for a challenge like the 99 supercolliders. Getting 3 challenge for all the other species will give a much bigger bonus than the slightly faster space runs.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 25, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The most recent alkahistorian one is a bit insane with its links but does pull together nicely at the end and is definitely one worth sticking through.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

I'm still in The First Alkahistorian

Ah, the first two are pretty fast and do help explain the third which is where it gets crazy.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

idk i'm stuck at trying to generate void

I don't remember void being in the first two. If it looks something like this:

Then you're on stage three and eventually it'll become a self-feeding loop.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

<screenshot>
:confused:

Yeah that's the most recent version aka stage three. The early game is all about hyper focusing single productions so turning off anything not needed in your specific building loop is essential. Later on you'll get upgrades and be able to create loops that are better at self-feeding.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

i can't even figure out the building loop to get both sand and steam sustainable, or more annoyingly, how to upgrade the things that would help!

e- or when what i need to do is idle rather than tweak

e2 - well now i'm sustaining successfully and i have no idea what happened

So one thing that took me far too long to figure out in stage three was how the white bars you unlock work and they're absolutely essential.
So for many producers/consumers there are two white bars that can appear. The bottom one controls maximum output and for primary outputs can be left at max while secondaries and latter should be controlled to stop overproduction. The top one though is far more nuanced in that it controls the minimum amount of resources required to start a reaction. If you turn this too low without a high enough production base then that reaction will eat the entirety of your production of the resource until its output is capped and can starve secondary production loops into making them non-functional so carefully tinkering this bar is good to make sure you cap each production to leave enough to feed all of your essential consumers.

Once you get those sorted it's mostly about integrating more and better loops into the system.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Alkahest

Links, you say? Not really spoilery but never know.
Also the last upgrade is truly worth it:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah GPS sats are hilariously bad. You do want normal science sats though as they give a bunch of cap.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Merijn posted:

OK, so why is this one not making more steam?

Because it has a max output of 1.2

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

Evolve idle

Im doing a space run.

Ive got 2 research left, Helium attractor and Elerium reactor.

Both of which im never going to be able to do.

Ive got 325k research, but its going to be a slog to get enough elerium storage.

How close am i to getting phage?

You're about to get to the longest/slowest part of the run. Sorry.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

It ends when i do all 1859 segments of the world collider?

World Collider isn't required for phage though it is required for invasions. You'll need to build a shipyard and 100 segments of a ship for the space reset.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

Ouch.

Just did supercollider to 1 and new research opened up ><.

stockmarket is 9. Will i really need monolith to 10 too?

After ~3 of each there aren't going to be any new technologies though you still want the bonuses from them. Monolith levels help for the happiness cap which in turn increases the multiplier to production.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Ughhhh. The constant need to re-design your house is probably the most annoying thing about this game.

Also when the gently caress do I get to automate scroll production?

When you get a ghost writer! I'm not kidding.

So I've been tinkering with this for a bit and stalling before going to T1 to see what I can find to unlock and so far the classes I've found are: Prestige/Magician, Craft/Witchcraft, Arcane Trickster, Elementalist, and Oracle. Running out of things to research now though I'm pretty sure I'm still missing one or two.

Also the Temple (house) has 200 floor space, and -shadow

E: Also for stamina: Research water asap for fount/minor fount (spells). 0.8 stamina per second combined.
E2: For skill points: Whisper(spell) in the spirit branch gives .001 skill points per second while active. Keep it going forever

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 25, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Shadowstar posted:

This comment is peak this thread and has me hooked on this game before even starting it.

The best part of this is that you can become more efficient at eating books.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Something I just noticed that's important: Make sure to hit up every possible home you get because some have unique actions/furniture that carry over to other houses but only unlock at that specific site.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Some of these buildings are getting crazy on the space.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
After more testing: For T1 at least you shouldn't pick anything besides Magician or Witch right now. The others are very barebones and don't seem to have anything special like those do.

Notably: Magician has upgrades for money and a special academy that has 300 floor space. Witch has two special islands that require 2000 research but have 400 and 420 space and a bunch of minion slots.

The T2 I've seen so far are Enchanter and Seer

E: Note that I haven't gotten the evil variants so can't comment on those.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 25, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
So before I thought some furniture was locked to specific houses - which after talking to others/the dev I've found out isn't strictly true. Some specific house furniture has some specific requirement flags that certain houses have but aren't the only source of.

E: Here's the class flowchart updated from today: Spoiler for all classes. From the discord.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 25, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Vil posted:

I don't understand that flowchart, because it looks like every class/group on one tier can link to every class/group on the next tier.

Yeah the person who made it doesn't seem to understand the idea of a legend but it's: Green is Easy, Orange is Hard(er), Purple requires Elementalist, and Black is Impossible.

Omi no Kami posted:

Where the Witchcraft class purchase says "Locks: [macbeth quote]", is that just a flavorful way of going "You can only pick one T1 class"?

Yes

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

Wait, so looking at the chart elementalist seems like the obvious T1 choice because it's the only one that unlocks things you can't get otherwise, but I guess that's not worth it compared to the magician/witch's houses and stuff?

If you want to become a Sorcerer then T3 High Elementalist can get to it without needing to take T1 Elementalist

E: The dev has also mentioned a big shake-up and balancing of class tiers soon.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 26, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I'm having a hard time with two things:

First, Adventuring is very hit or miss, sometimes literally. My Mana doesn't last long enough for my spells to carry me very far and equipment seem sparse. Do I just keep running the same one again and again hoping to get a new trinket?

Second, Codices are a pain in the rear end to craft, is there any way to automatize that?

1)Explore the various branches for spells, they'll help with your mana problem and provide tons of other essential buffs.
2)Yes. Ghost Writers.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I don't remember stam/sec being a limiter for unlocks. Unless that's something brand new.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Timesplit is such an incredible QoL upgrade. Though it's feeling like content is running out for now. A really fun idle and one to see how the dev takes it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

xiw posted:

I could use a hint for direction for tier 4 as right now I just have a metric shitload of training to do and I'm not sure which to start with i'm a stormcaller, no tier 4 class is visible, my lore is 13 and i can train to 33, I have 32 skills all at 5+ and a lot of them have 10-17 caps now - otherwise its just going to be training about 50 levels at random.

Oh god get your Lore up immediately. Max out your bookcases and library for codices to speed it up and take it to at least 25.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I unquit Arcanum, how do I see the requirements for stuff in-game (like, I don't want to be a Magician because Elementalist will exist) or is it all Discord-only

also how do I get more drat skill points, Pace will take forever

Discord has all the spoiler stuff and it's pretty well documented. Skill points can be easily gotten from leveling and whisper spell.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah bookcases got capped to 20 while Libraries gained tome capacity, lower size, and a massive codices buff.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

My favorite update is the removal of the changelog so you can't track what changes the dev could even be bothered to document. :v:

If you join the discord you'll very quickly learn that the dev instantly pushes most changes live as they're suggested/finished unless it's a big shake-up. Pretty sure there's no design doc, change log, or other documentation at all for any of it outside of what others compile by looking through the code.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The largest 'houses' I've seen so far have 420 space and it's still not enough to fit everything. Though it's not that important to fit everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
You just drag and drop the file onto the page and it'll automatically load it.