Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
how many ~100 plasmid runs do you do in evolve before it's a good idea to hunker down and aim for space

i've done like 7 runs by now and it seems like crispr mods are paling in comparison to hoarding plasmid to crank up the production bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
in evolve, is it possible to stack a good mutation by taking the same species twice or three times in a row and using fanaticism or deification? i ask because i learned about the octigoran's 8% boost to all productivity today and it seems like the first mutation i've seen that's worth using fanaticism for

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i gave up on evolve when i reached a technology roadblock that im pretty sure required either the dyson net or the stellar engine to be completed, but i didnt know which one, and guessing wrong would mean multiple days of wasted effort due to how slow adamantite mining is

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

something posted:

finally added that in-inventory menu setting thing people liked

edit: yep VV

this is cool but i would be happier with an option to auto-convert boosts to an appropriate color when you a-click an item with multiple uncapped stats

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
lazy itopod floor shitter

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
you're probably not reading the fine print on challenge 13's description. once you understand the gimmick it should be pretty clear what to do one challenge 9 clear to unlock talisman fragment drops, then straight to challenge 10

i had the same problem

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Red Minjo posted:

In Matter Dimensions, I seem to have broken my ability to auto-buy Neutronic resets? When I check the box now, things just kind of stop, and I'm stuck with a single Matter dimension bought, 0 matter, and 1 antimatter. I haven't seen any other auto-buyers turned off that should be affecting it, and I'm way past the point where earning a single one should be any sort of challenge.

to elaborate a bit on nibble's answer, once you have enough production, neutronic resets will be available on the first tick of a reset. thats whats causing the interface to be locked to the first tick of progress. setting the reset threshold higher lets the game progress enough ticks for neutronic rewards to hit their plateau

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Trimps

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the three way split on the vacuumic tree has 1e40 resource limit on the left, 1e80 resource limit in the middle, and 1e120 resource limit on the right side. with ten space theorems you have just enough to reset your tree and get the 1e120 resource limit upgrade, which will give you just enough resource cap to get your 10th dimension and start the dimensional layer.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

One thing that's very important is the idea of photonic resetting to purge matter to allow for more matter. Everything above photonic can build up while you spam-reset photonic, which gets you benefits from upper layer dimensions.

turn off the photonic upgrade that protects antimatter too, that'll force the photonic reset to be almost immediate

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

pixaal posted:

When is the expansion to NGU: NGD where you have to save the universe from yourself by going back to zero in stats coming out?

ah, universal paperclips

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
you should remove the net positive/negative UI options, since the red text is clearly causing people anxiety. the lesson that can be learned from other factory games like factorio or DSP is that it's somehow more satisfying for the first indication of production failure being a crucial material running out due to bad planning and causing the entire factory to grind to a screeching halt. like, that's actually what factory game players (myself included) want. when i can see the exact production and consumption with no effort, that just pushes me toward making annoying finnicky little changes, instead of the panicked sweeping overhauls that really give this genre its play value

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I think I hosed up my ngui upgrades lol. One t4 farts building makes 14.7/m, and with 6 efficiency buildings requires 96 supporting structures to maintain blue. And to support one flesh rocket structure, also with 6 beacons, requires 9 farts buildings. I guess I should stick to upgrades that don't require pink heart juice for a while then.

the good news is you dont need to fully support anything. as long as you have at least one of each intermediate resource required to make something complicated, the resources will eventually trickle up to their intended goal. your UI is going to look like poo poo for a while, but you'll progress just as quickly as if you didnt have any tier 4 upgrades

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

packetmantis posted:

I really like games like a dark room/Crank/Armory & Machine 1 and 2, where there's sort of a sense of mystery that you discover as you progress and everything is mysterious and cool. Does anyone have recs for more like that?

trimps

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
any trepidation i had with ngu industries' mechanics when i started playing has been replaced with the grim certainty that im going to be playing it for at least the next few months

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the work order page warns you ahead of time about bad math, so i dont see why anyone is complaining

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

Am I misunderstanding what the colors mean in NGU:I? I thought orange was "in a deficit, will run out in less than the amount of time set in your settings but more than 30 seconds" but I've left it at the default (8 hours) and definitely come back to the game and not bottomed out on an orange resource. I'm not running up against the 24 hour cap because it's set at 8 hours, and I'm checking against the progress readout when I load my save. Anyone else encounter this?

there's an oddity with how offline time is calculated, where resource earnings from the ITOPOD are calculated and given to you at the start of your online session rather than distributed throughout the offline time. This makes sense for making it easier to process offline time, but it means you'll always come back to a small stockpile of every resource rather than having any 0's immediately visible

that's my guess based on what you're describing at least, if you have considerably more stockpile than you're expecting then i dunno

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
military and espionage get way less involved as you gain plasmids and mastery. if i'm not doing gold star runs the only interaction i need with that panel is buying enough spies to purchase the territories outright, no espionage necessary

the bigger issue i'm having now is research, since it's tedious to queue up all of the technologies in each run when they're down to a few hours long each. a building autobuyer would probably break the game, but i would at least like a research autoqueue to spare my poor arthritic hands some unnecessary clicking

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i lost my U2 save recently, and i'm starting over fresh. it's still weirdly engaging even though i've seen it all before

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
you receive nature tokens from completing each block of five zones with each empowerment of nature. i don't use autotrimps, so i can't speak to why it's not using the nature empowerments correctly, but you should be able to open the nature tab yourself and spend tokens. Upgrading ice empowerment power/transfer will reduce damage you take from enemies in ice zones to effectively zero, which is how builds with much less helium are able to clear it anyway.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
that seems like it should be good enough, although transfer rate is much better on ice than power. try to hit the transfer rate cap as soon as possible, since it causes enemies to gain less of their power back after each kill. where are you dying in the spire?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

transfer rate cap?

I get to cell 80ish with the first squad, then i get oneshot and keep getting oneshot until i have 10 deaths and spire ends.

Where do i see my stacks?

transfer rate cap is 80% by default, and for ice empowerment it means you'll always have at least 8 or so stacks on enemies even if you're one-shotting.

You can see stacks in the status bar next to the number of trimps you have in battle, along with anticipation stacks and challenge specific effects.

As roflex mentioned, ice stacks carry over from maps, so use bionic wasteland to build up stacks on a single enemy and then carry them back to the spire.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Lilli posted:

I remember some folks enjoyed the original Cavernous when I posted it last night, so I figured I'd mention that Cavernous 2 came out, same general idea more mechanics.

https://nucaranlaeg.github.io/incremental/CavernousII/

this is fun. feels more like a zachtronics game than an idle game

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
well the driving thesis of most of these games is that the compulsion to raise numbers at the expense of all else is evil at its core, and indulging in these compulsions as a player constitutes a fall from grace, so the metanarrative of these games tends to follow that arc of beginning with something simple or innocent yet engaging, and then steadily corrupting it and making it about doing whatever it takes to make number go up. it's not really criticizing the player so much as it's trying to warn them about the perils of obsession if they try to extend it to other parts of their life

as novel as it would be, a game in which raising numbers is portrayed as fundamentally good or saintly would essentially be a blatant defense of capitalism, which would probably end up rubbing people the wrong way. case in point: ADventure Capitalist, in which the central prestige currency is angels

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
ascending the spire felt intolerably slow to me on my first attempt at it. I think the intention is to attempt demonic infusion over the course of a few ascensions, using the perk that carries blood stones between runs in order to accumulate enough for a complete waygate. I stopped at floor 13 on my first run, currently doing more ascensions to try to make the trip to the spire a bit quicker before i try that again

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
that's per temple. the total bonus is called "Faith" and can be seen in the list of production multipliers on any resource. If you have fanaticism on a 4 star antimatter run, each temple is a bonus of 0.5% + 0.01% per university iirc to all production

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

In Evolve, I don't understand what the icons of different sorts to the right of the perks/feats/achievements correspond to.

it's tracking the different universes you've completed achievements in. perks earned from achievements improve in effect based on the number of challenge genes you completed the achievement with, and endgame perks will also improve in effect for each universe you complete the achievement in.

universe icons are Star (marking achievements completed in any universe including standard), Pentagram (evil universe), arcane symbol (magic universe), dumbbell (heavy universe), atomic symbol (antimatter universe), and uhhh one more icon for micro which i dont know since i havent actually been there yet. Each universe-specific achievement icon counts toward Mastery at half the rate of a standard star, so once you have all the crispr Mastery upgrades it'll be 1% mastery per gold star and 0.5% mastery for each gold universe icon

there's also a bunch of silly icons on the feats screen for the various holiday events. those don't do anything

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i returned to Standard for 4* technophobe and ascension farming. it has a better dark matter bonus than the other universes

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
do you have the crispr perk that lets you take both anthropology and fanaticism? if you dont have that you'll probably be well out of range for the knowledge caps necessary for ascension

alternatively you might not be building enough supercolliders. they're one of the only sources of knowledge that doesn't have oppressive scaling knowledge costs, so they're an important part of hitting the caps you need

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

is there any reasonable progress in alterhistorian once you get to steam engine? seems like the only thing left to do is the essence purifier but rounding up hundreds of energy 10 at a time is some bullshit.

buying a steam engine should unlock the pulverizer for purchase, which is the next big step

and if you're not already, you should be using input mergers as storage so you dont have to sit around with poo poo on your cursor waiting for bars to fill

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

How do I sever a pipe connection once I've made it?

click on the input and it'll cancel outputs leading to it

i dunno what's after the purifier, haven't played that far yet

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Also that tubes are nothing like flasks whatsoever.

i've always been saying this

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Cinara posted:

Which are not at all like flasks.

this part is key

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i like theresmore. it's got weird poo poo to it but the combat and prestige systems are pretty well implemented and the emphasis on lots of segmented buildings with major effects when completed is something i like more than evolve's. there's also a lot of different forms of progression as you approach the endgame, with some portions coming from combat, others coming from diplomacy or buildings, etc.

the version number says 0.43, so if you don't like it i would recommend coming back in a few months to see if the dev keeps at it. i think it'll be really good with a few more balance passes and some quality of life fixes

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

American Dad posted:

Time to try complaining about things online. Playing evolve, going for my first black hole reset. I've been waiting hours for a dang soul gem drop. Just finished the dyson net and I've been running 4 patrols with 3 attractor beacons. Drop dammit I can't progress without one.

E: yay it worked. Finally dropped.

patrols can be a lot smaller than you think. You need patrol size of 10-20 to clear the original 10,000 demons down to ~1000 or so, but once you've done that you can reduce patrol size to 5-10 and increase the number of patrols significantly. soul gem drop rate scales directly on number of patrols sent out, so that'll be a much better rate than you're getting now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

lmao

lmfao