Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh hey, a new thread. Someday we'll get a new game I want to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Shark Game still exists
I know, I said "new" :shobon:

something posted:

I'll make it for you in 2020 dw

(joking but also totally not joking)
Your style and mine don't seem to mesh but I am glad you have made a shitload of money off doing what you're doing because you're real good at it!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GrossMurpel posted:

So clearly I was very, very wrong about more healers being useful. Therefore, I tried to get rid of heals altogether:
1 tank, 4 dps
- 5 min: 1368
- 10 min: 2309 //evil DPS hacking
- 15 min: 3012 //what the gently caress?
is this a parody of carmack's comments on the fast inverse square root code

loving goooooons

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GrossMurpel posted:

E: Also I don't know how clear it is now with all the info the dev added, but the most important part is your level; 100 levels allows you to get a prestige point and 100 prestige points allows you to get the next prestige layer. The max floor getting higher kind of happens on its own as you go along.
it's totally opaque that 100 is the next prestige layer, so thanks for that since I just started

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah there we go I got to 50 prestige points and it told me I was 50% to layer 2, looking forward to autobuyers because I am real lazy and hate manual resets etc

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
ugh, I reset with one PP2 and instantly slammed the "+1 team member" button and it's definitely not a fast enough increase from the extra body that I was correct to pick it over a separate XP multiplier, I feel dumb

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
When's the correct time to switch from HP tank to armor tank? I suspect it's earlier than I think it is, I have only one autobuyer and it feels like it already might be right. Dying faster means faster overall XP at some point and I just don't know when.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Slickdrac posted:

I just reached Prestige level 2, so I don't even have a 5th yet. But full armor tank has been more consistent in getting higher floors/more XP per run. If something is strong enough to break the armor and kill, it was going to kill anyway with HP tank. If I can get to a point where I'm able to hit level 1000 in reasonable time, I'm already planning to compare a couple variations of setups
Well, this is enough endorsement for me, I'll try it.

(also the reason I don't go full dps is beacuse you need some kind of tank, in case that wasn't really sarcasm)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GrossMurpel posted:

E: For some hosed up reasons the first floors are as slow as the last ones now.
huh, not happening for me, although I'm at a whopping 2 PP3 so it's not exactly, uh, endgame for me

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How could IA not be a real game, the ninth party member actively runs off the bottom of the screen and covers half the combat log :eng99:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GrossMurpel posted:

lmao there was an update to IA and the offline progress I got from it instantly pushed me to floor 81 and prestige layer 12.
Maybe I'll play the game with a new save again in a few weeks, given how often the dev updates :v:
Yeah, holy poo poo, I came back and went from PP4 to PP6 in literally under a minute.

...also the autobuyers really don't like trying to spend like a hundred thousand points. They just refuse to do anything instead.

edit: yep autobuyers totally normal here nothing to see here folks

(I don't even have the healing and health autobuyers on!)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 23, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
whoop, my separate Firefox window with IA in it exploded

yeah I'll just leave that one until the dev actually fixes it all

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Finally decided to bite the bullet and play Evolve. I just unlocked Electricity and it's taking me forever to grind enough Aluminum for Sheet Metal to raise my Knowledge cap high enough to start poking around. What can I do other than, you know, sell everything in the marketplace for cash for aluminum? Am I missing something that creates lots of resources I can sell? Should I be pumping steel production or something?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So I restarted Cookie Clicker, figured I'd give it a shot with no autoclicker or auto-golden-cookie clicker.

Turns out golden cookies are still insane and having the spellbook from day 2 of a fresh run just makes it even worse.

I'm at like, one billion CPS, unbuffed. Let's pretend that I have, for no reason, 84 trillion unspent cookies. I could spend that! Get my CPS up to 1.3 billion. That's 300 million per second!

...Or I can pay attention long enough to click golden cookies until I Frenzy up to 7 billion CPS, then cast Conjure Baked Goods for 12.6 trillion cookies. (which is where the 84 trillion came from, obviously.) And at level 1 wizard towers, I still have enough mana in my grimoire to cast it twice, so it's 25.2 trillion cookies (well, okay, each is only 85% to succeed, work with me here) as a payoff for not engaging with the fundamental gameplay mechanic of "buying buildings and upgrades".

It's the worst parts of the Lucky Frenzy bank, but guaranteed to start on day 1 (rather than demanding you wait to buy the 77 trillion golden cookie duration upgrade) by the sole existence of the golden cookies mechanic.

(also all the gods suck in different and exciting ways, since half of them fight against golden cookies and the other half are weird poo poo like "sugar lumps are an hour faster" and "buildings are cheaper but heavenly chips suck more than twice as hard", which at least is good on a no-chips first run I guess)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Carados posted:

The man could've made infinity dollars but he kinda just vanished when he was at the top of the world.
which makes him the exact opposite of Notch and I salute him for that if nothing else

and yeah he keeps doing stuff and it's just... like, not good? which is a rude thing to say? it's a bunch of stuff that's just the same framework, but more so, with no paradigm shifts or anything

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghostlight posted:

No, those are all features that haven't been ported to the mobile.
I assume golden cookies are on mobile so at some point building a frenzy bank is still optimal? But the rest are not on mobile, no.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Seems fun, but I'm stuck at 95 research at the Falconer/Herbalist fork that needs 100, with two maxed skills and maxed scrolls, so I don't see how to proceed?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cinara posted:

Some furniture increase max research or max scrolls.
The correct answer was "the button to move houses under the Home tab, then buy furniture", yeah.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

xiw posted:

Big hint: you can assign focus to multiple shortcut keys to make it much easier to dump your mana into it.

Wish I'd noticed this ages ago.
yeah I had been using "click once, then hold enter" but that's even easier

also I quit the game because gently caress the sheer amount of stuff to juggle

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I unquit Arcanum, how do I see the requirements for stuff in-game (like, I don't want to be a Magician because Elementalist will exist) or is it all Discord-only

also how do I get more drat skill points, Pace will take forever

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rynoto posted:

Discord has all the spoiler stuff and it's pretty well documented. Skill points can be easily gotten from leveling and whisper spell.
oh poo poo, I have that spell showing up as something I can unlock (also I forgot Adventure existed, lmao)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dis astranagant posted:

lol arcanum dev doubled down on focus being ridiculous. It now improves so now I get 30 xp every click.
jesus, I had it at 4.3 this afternoon I bet I can get it to 10+ easy if they buffed it again

I'm sad there's no house with more than 400 storage (420 for two specific classes, and yes, one's a giant tree so it might be deliberate) because I want one of all the special buffing buildings and even with voidlore there's no room

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nessin posted:

Yeah, I just picked a T1 class and the rest are still options for me to choose.
That's a bug, refreshing might fix it (or alternatively you're misreading and they're the T2 options)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ineptitude posted:

Everyone complained about Evolve having such low storage limits and needing constant attention and having the same problems as Kittensgame but none of you dumbasses have noticed that Arcanum IS essentially Evolve/Kittensgame :eng101:

(I play it aswell, its great)
I actually have and that's why I quit before I unquit out of boredom

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Buzkashi posted:

Is there a prestige mechanic yet in Arcanum? I haven't seen anything about one
Wasn't one as of a few days ago, no idea if one's been added right now - there's void mana that has no use and some drops like Ichor that have no use and chronomancy only does the one thing, so probably eventually

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

explosivo posted:

Is there an easier way to manage/compare gear in Arcanum? I wish there was a tooltip showing how the item compares to what you have equipped currently but I don't think there is?
There is not, but there are so few items that you can just kinda memorize what you don't have.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Meskhenet posted:

Whats the URL for Arcanum. all im getting are steam games ><
don't be mad because that Arcanum owns too

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rynoto posted:

Yeah being good only makes sure you continue to have access to the Light spells which are okay for adventuring but nothing special compared to all the perks evil gets.
This explains why it felt like there is no actual postgame for me (and also why I was like "what the gently caress is codex annihilus") - I hit dhrunic wizard, mono-good, out of space in the 400 space house, and aside from a few adventure zones where I basically get insta-deleted despite having the best gear I can find (are there tier two enchants for anything other than quick boots? does better-than-bronze-leather-and-iron gear drop anywhere) I've done everything except raise Lore above 30 because fuuuuck that grind

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Arcanum tip: there's a loving upgrade for having like 5 or maybe 10 Birdcages, just jam that poo poo out instantly it's a free max point of Nature Lore

(real Arcanum tip, the bug where you mouse over an item to bring its tooltip up, then hit Shift+# to assign it to a number hotkey, then spam that hotkey to make 1 of that item every time, yes this works on research and arcana and gems and everything)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dis astranagant posted:

You must be on an old version because that doesn't work for me.
yeah I think it got fixed today when it went up to 115

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

magicalblender posted:

I bought this and trained it up to level seven.

It does nothing at all, as far as I can tell. Maybe the actual content is coming in a later update?
level seven? where's the +2 from, I didn't find that

...but I did maximally improve every spell and every action, yes including Sublimate Lore, that I have access to

Still can't get to the dungeon that requires 30 planar lore and I still inevitably lose fights to, among other things, Archons and Ancient Vampires, but that seems unavoidable

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cinara posted:

This doesn't even seem remotely possible, I can't get above 21 unless there's some stuff locked away that I have not found. I guess I could re-run all the dungeons I ran before and see if they unlock anything? The lack of a real changelog makes me not care too much about trying to progress, I just refresh the page every so often and see what it auto unlocks for me. Skills take days to level up at this point unless I am using focus, and none of them seem to reward anything at the 20/25 breakpoints.

Also as for level 7 of the new skill, you get +2 from Thaumaturge
I have no idea either, I don't know if there are class bonuses? I have 23 from uh, some furniture or some poo poo, plus a loving shitload of Starcharts.

is Nature Lore the only truly uncapped skill because you can Travel for more of it veeeeeery slowly or are there others I'm missing?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cinara posted:

If you're a witch then demonology and spirit lore are both infinite from Witch's Sabbat, but it doesn't raise their exp gain rate so good luck.
oh sick

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

craft gems to grind max crafting
That does that? Explains why my max crafting is 37, I was genuinely curious.

(also the new memorized spell mechanic is real drat good, I can actually win fights now that I have this new Drain Life spell and also six other memorized spells)

(still no real endgame though)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arcanuse posted:

Arcanum, Build#175: We have four elemental ring enchantments now. Recharge your fire/earth/air/water faster and get a boosted lorecap while you have 'em on. Handy.
sure, but that means you're not wearing +1 mana which is never leaving my fingers because gotta focus fast

(also there's a spellcraft mechanic which uh... doesn't really do anything you can't do manually?)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Meskhenet posted:

In arcanum. I still have The Craft and Oracle open as a t1 job. Will it add to what i have or does it replace my t1 job i took?
based on when it was previously bugged, it just lets you get multiple and adds, but I don't know if that's been fixed by nerfing the outcomes even if the bugs still exist

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Jesus, Grimstalks got buffed?! They were already awful compared to everything within like, eight levels of them - they were lich lord/ancient vampire tier because regen is the only combat stat that even matters because it consumes infinite IRL time versus finite.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Omi no Kami posted:

Is there a list of skill caps anywhere? I'm getting to the end-of-t4 annoying phase where most skills are somewhere around 10-20, and training them past that will either take hours of holding enter or days of idling one specific thing, so it'd be nice to know what if anything (besides lore 30) is worth taking over 20.
hours of holding enter is the way to go for sure, Focus owns

I checked the guide for you:
a dungeon at Planar Lore 30, which lmao at the concept of ever having
Shadow Lore 24 for one of the top tier classes
Demonology 20 for another
Nature Lore 20 for a Tier 4 class
upgrade at Planar Lore 20
upgrade at 20 Light (mana not skill) which I'm noting because I didn't even know that could get that high [this one's a pegasus mount so I'm pretty sure it's completely useless unless no other mount can reach the planar lore 30 dungeon which would be really funny and kind of flavor appropriate]
upgrade at 25 Earth (mana not skill)
upgrade at 31 Fire Lore or 30 Light Lore (holy poo poo light can go that high? I should delete my previous note but hell no)
two actions at 20 Crafting 30 Necromancy

So the real answer to your question is, take necromancy to 30, take fire lore to 31 and earth lore to like 20+enchantments to get to 25 earth mana, and then it's planar lore or go home

I don't think all this stuff is mutually exclusive, but I also don't know if any of it's worth it - I'd try for 30 Necromancy if you haven't locked yourself out of it by your paths so far because they have names that implies you're turning yourself into a lich, "Rite of Undeath" and "Craft Phylactery" but whatever floats your boat

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh cool, that's exactly what I was looking for- thank you!! Man, this game owns but I wish it was either easier to idle, or better-documented.
when I said "went through the guide" I did in fact literally mean clicking every spoiler tag on the discord, the documentation is awful (but I excuse the creator because they're just updating the game instead, so)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KazigluBey posted:

Something happened in Arcanum again, this time it's like my dude isn't auto-attacking any more? It feels like it's taking ages to kill even trivial enemies.
...which does mean that weapon enchantments matter at least :eng99:

(seriously though, those don't carry buffs over to spells, right?)

Also, I think it's possible to meet the requirements to unlock all four top-tier classes and am doing a run to prove it, even though you then get nothing to show for it

Anyways, what I came to post: what's the point of spellcraft, does it just let you slam tiny buffs together into one autocast spell? And are there better boots than level 1, cause Quick Boots II exists but I'm rocking the Leather Boots, despite two complete runs of the old-size Catacrypts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RoboCicero posted:

The leather charm from the halloween area (Leather Hestia's Charm) seems to have a really high enchantment cap. I'm at 30 life pool enchantments and 23 sturdy armor enchantments and I'm still going.
this is obviously a bug because it has no "level"

...but neither do the Necrotic Dagger or the Vorpal Blade you can get from the combat area, and those enchant for bonuses to hit and bonuses to do damage, you're welcome in advance

also my guy can wear 3 rings and 3 necklaces, so try that if you haven't, it seems to be the secret cap for some reason, cock ring maybe?