Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Been playing Evolve after getting bored of Theresmore. Are there some scripts or something that can automate some of this? I like the concept but manually doing 50 MAD runs or whatever will probably burn me out.

I've done several MAD runs and working on my 2nd Bioseed run currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Can you explain how to use this?

Edit: Tampermonkey, got it.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 28, 2022

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I started Evolve after running out of things to do in Theresmore and it's pretty good. Especially with the auto script, which is really effective even when you're playing actively, because it will redirect resources to hasten whatever you put into the building/research queue, and try to prevent anything from sitting at a resource cap. Theresmore is basically if Evolve only had one prestige level and one species.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

That's definitely fair, but when I was playing this manually, it was consuming my life, and straining my eyes to boot (no matter the UI theme).

My route through Evolve so far was: A few MAD resets with No Free Trade, then Bioseed, then more MAD resets and 3 more Bioseeds, then finally Black Hole into Antimatter. Accumulated a bunch of Anti-Plasmids and and then did 4* MADs after getting Bleed 1, then Black Holed out into Heavy, ended up with 1900 Anti-Plasmids. Did more 4* MADs, a Valdi run, and now I did a Shroomi -> Troll (for 4* Toxic Trolls) -> Tortoise run for a 4* Joyless + Steelen run. Troll regeneration + Tortoise buffs should make getting resources from combat much easier. I got for production bonuses 43.5% Mastery (60%/60%), 27.19% from Anti-Plasmids, and 15.92% Storage from Phage. Picked up Governor and Negotiator recently as well, as well as buying Content and Tactical with Phage in order to make this run go smoother.

After doing this double challenge, my plan is to do more 4* MADs to bolster Plasmids and Mastery, and then do a 0* Ascendance finally. Or maybe another one/two Bioseeds so I have that 6 unique planet achievement and maybe shop around for a very good planet for an Ascendance run. I don't have Transcendence (don't have Devotion yet either) but that would take so many more MADs and probably not required to get through Ascension in a timely manner.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 21, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

4* runs that early are just boring. It's better to just experience the game at a pace you're comfortable with than worrying about being "optimal". So you'll eventually do a 4* run with that species later. So what? It'll be faster when you get around to it. Faster plasmids have more value than mastery that early. I didn't start doing 4* MAD runs until I left the Standard universe, in order to get double bonuses. Until then, I just had No Free Trade checked, maybe a couple more stars if I'm doing an easy species. To me, the best thing to do in order to not burn out is to do as much repeatable content as you can stomach, then just go for the next level. You'll have a better idea of what you want to do in the game when you have seen all the possibilities.

I would also never recommend 4* for your first Blackhole unless you don't mind it taking forever. I 0* Blackholed out of Antimatter because it took 2-3x longer than doing it out of Standard.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 22, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

I didn't install the tampermonkey script, maybe it makes this into a genuine idle game you can fidget with rarely rather than somehow being both a years-long treadmill and a baby that needs constant attention.

The script makes it an actual idle game. And you can choose how much of your will you want to exert over it. Think of it this way: Likely, once you have all the build queues unlocked and they're fairly sizable, you use it so that you're not super active in the game. The script will allocate resources to complete those tasks as fast as it can, whether it's be powering/depowering buildings, buying resources, setting trade routes, allocating citizens, and whatnot.

By controlling the weightings in the script, you can plan out essentially a much larger build queue. Even if you aren't a fan of using scripts for idle games, the level of customization means you can be as active or idle as you choose. There are individual toggles for all the settings (autoBuild, autoPower, autoAllocate, etc) that you can set on and off, including a master toggle as well, so when you get to new content you can switch it off if you want.

Edit: The above post shows it. Each of those toggles has more detailed customization in the Settings menu.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Evolve chat: I could use some advice on what to do next. I did my first 0* Ascension recently in Heavy and made a decent custom race (Plant Genus, Chameleon, Kindling Kindred, Musical, Compact, Slaver, Smart, and a bunch of negative traits to compensate). I got nearly 7k plasmids and was going to wait until I had enough to get Transcendence (7500), hadn't spent any yet towards the path because the 3 required Mutation upgrades don't really do much, and wanted to leave myself the option of getting other upgrades instead.

Got:
428 Phage (with storage upgrade)
1901 Anti-Plasmid (with storage upgrade)
3.356 Dark Energy
1.2 Harmony Crystal
88.75% General Mastery, 42.9% Heavy-specific and 96.15% currently active (60%/60%).

Among my options are:
1. 4* Bioseeds to get Heavyweight Champ and upgrade Verrazano
2. 0-4* Black Hole (currently only 0* completed) out of Heavy into Standard, then 4* Black Hole out of Standard (into Evil maybe, to get the angel races and Eden planet), so that my planet selection + geology options aren't terrible, in order to find a good Ascension spam target.
3. My current planet is a Forest planet with Oil and Iridium bonus with one Ascension. Could use the custom race to do a "pillar run", not sure what this is yet but I assume it requires either the ascension route or the hell route.
4. 0-4* Demonic Infusion run from my current planet
5. Currently I have completed Steelen, Joyless, and Genetic Dead End. I could try to tackle one of the other challenge modes.
6. 0-4* Ascension run again.
7. ???

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i have nearly pumped enough elerium and infernite into the black hole to do my first black hole reset

possibly i should have done more than 2 bioseeding resets and 7 MAD runs before this bc it has been quite slow getting enough exotic matter throughput

That's about as many MADs/Bioseeds I did before my first BH reset as well. I think it's worth it to get out of Standard. I don't know what your plan is, but I went to Antimatter for a while, since the Weak Mastery challenge gene had a negligible effect on my runs since my Mastery was still very low.

quote:

After 1 and 2 are done coming back to heavy and working on challenges and acquiring as many feats at 4* as possible will set you up for 4* ascensions and the offshoot challenges like True Path.

This sounds good. It sets me up to have good planets for the rest of the game, especially if I'm universe hopping after doing these two steps before settling back in Heavy.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Core Auto Upgrade should be #1. It's the most clicking for sure.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I've unlocked Tier 2 for my cores so they don't all max out instantly anymore. And when you have a salvage+ loadout going, the Upgrade All does something pretty often. I agree that it depends on your level of idle, and I did prioritize the research auto-select, but for me personally not having to look at the core upgrades screen anymore is pretty nice.

I regret that I wasted so many AI points on nonsense QoL stuff because I didn't read what the other things did.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

If you are doing a big push to upgrade your reactor, the challenge's forced retreat sets your energy to full really fast. Enjoy.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Evolve chat: what universe is the fastest to do a 4* EM Field run? I'm finally getting around to the challenges after doing a 0* Ascension, 3* Pillar Ascension, and 3* Demonic Infusion (all in Heavy, which has most of my universe-specific mastery). Doing a 4* Decay run now with custom race.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Vil posted:

It's worth noting that EMF's rewards will themselves make EMF easier in the form of not needing as many thermal collectors. It's certainly not a requirement, but a 4* EMF will be easier at the very end, if you do a 3* EMF first. (Probably take less time overall to just do a 4* EMF, of course, but worth noting.)

Side note, when you get around to your requisite tour of universe-hopping to get 4* Ascended and 4* EMF everywhere, it's worth noting that Ascended's cost creep reduction only kicks in once you've done an ascension in that universe. So consider a pattern of Any* Black Hole -> 3* or 4* Pillar Ascension -> 4* EMF -> clean up universe-specific achievements for general mastery -> repeat.

Gotcha. I think after after this 4* Decay I'll stay in Heavy (will lose planet and ascended buff on it, but not a big deal), do a 3* EM with my custom, so it's not too long, then start hopping around universes and do 3* Ascension Pillar with a genus I haven't done it yet with (I assume pillars don't care about challenge genes), then 4* EM with custom. I'll do AM last since I'll have built up a ton of plasmids doing this and will benefit a lot from the 2.5% plasmids work in AM bonus, which I assume still works with the Weak Mastery challenge gene.

quote:

Re: Evolve Idle, I'm trying to 1* (Junk Gene) blackhole out of Antimatter. I've finally built the World Collider, but now I'm being bottlenecked by Adamantite and the script doesn't seem to be interested in helping me get more. Are there any tweaks I can do to help this go faster?

There is a Buildings section of the script where you can adjust the weightings. Set the mining droid up to like 200. The production section also sets the ratios of things to produce from it, but you can also just turn off autoMiningDroid and crank Adamantite up.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I tried the former. The script mostly seems to be just cycling and burning resources back and forth, but it doesn't seem to actually be... building anything.

Can you take a screenshot with your automation tab open? How many of them are actually on?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Weird. It should be building those Mining Droids if they have a high weighting. I would also drive up Starport weighting. The script might not even bother building supported structures if there's not enough support.

Other than that, you can just manually queue them up and the script will divert resources to make them go faster. I do that for a lot of things because there's a few things I want faster but don't want the script to prioritize them long term. Disable the 'build things in order' thing in the regular settings.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

You get your second retrofit pretty quickly after unlocking the second base.

Though I always felt that the retrofit is not that useful. I might have gotten the wrong impression but I feel that if you can beat sector 27 with an optimized build, you can beat sector 25 with the worst build just from stats alone.

Retrofit becomes far more relevant once you unlock more utility cores. And more slots on your ship in general.

quote:

is there some way of speeding that up that I missed, or do you have to just take the hit of wasted runtime once you have enough plasmids saved up?

As the other person said, Bioscience labs reduce Sequencing/Mutation time.

I finished my first 3* EM run last night. It took a while, because by the time I unlocked the ability to hurl stuff into the Stellar Engine, I was sitting at a -700MW deficit. I'm gonna 3* BH out of here into other universes and do the 3* Pillar Ascension -> 4* EM for each one. I imagine 4* EM is going to be the longest run I have ever done, due to the lack of plasmids and lack of mastery in those universes. The biggest hit is losing the storage bonus from plasmids. My... 15.2% from anti-plasmids and 114.32% from phage just doesn't cut it. I almost feel like doing it in AM first would be faster, just from the storage + dark energy power boosts. But that's probably not true. Doing the other universes then doing AM when I have a huge chunk of plasmids for the 2.5% bonus is probably more efficient. I got 7593 Plasmids and 1429 Phage for reference.

Maybe for my sanity I just do 3* EM in those universes and call it a day. Circle back to 4* EM once I have more Spire-related bonuses and storage boosts. I would only be missing the 10% Soul Gem drop rate, but my custom race is really good at combat at this point, and even the 1 soul gem I get for free can go into a predator drone and accelerate the early parts of it.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 5, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I know about the negative traits stuff. I was able to add 2 more positive traits due to the 3* EMF, mostly production and combat rating.

I will stick to the plan of 3* Pillar Ascension -> 4* EMF per universe then. My only question is, do you think this will be faster in AM due to the storage/power boosts? At my current plasmid level I can get... maybe 150 plasmids (2.5%) active in AM. I don't know if the Micro/Magic universe mechanics make this go any faster.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Evolve: I'm Year 136 on Micro 4* EMF (Previously did 3* EMF in Heavy so Micro will upgrade it). Supposedly this is the fastest universe to do it in, with the cost creep reductions, but yikes does it still take a long time. I feel like the Andromeda phase is gonna be like 9/10 of the run. Just barely started Orichalcum. I wish the script toggle on the buildings on whether or not to auto power them, instead of having to hunt for the buildings in Settings, because its prioritization is a bit off.

For my sanity, after this I'm gonna 4* BH back into Heavy and do Cataclysm + Failed History runs. The extra power generation from those perks would make a big difference for the rest of the 4* EMF runs. Once you enter Andromeda in EM, you have a massive power deficit that you basically never get out of.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 12, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

It's not so bad, I'm currently year 143 and 13 segments into the Space Elevator portion. Just wondering if I could mix things up before continuing to do 4* EMFs. Any suggestions? Or which universe to do the next 4* EMF? Maybe with my 1517 phage, I could go to Antimatter and get more Anti-Plasmids (currently 1901) because I can support a much larger bonus. Then go somewhere else and do something else. I just want a break from this specific challenge.

I don't think I'd have that much trouble with Cata if I gear a custom race towards it. And do the Valdi reset + regular MAD for sundial stuff... do an ascension first as well.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 12, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

It gets cluttered very quickly and the research system is incredibly clunky. When the storage of that particular research building is capped, it stops researching. And there's more clutter with the little research thing storage enhancers. So you'll feel your research grind to a half like halfway to the cap, and almost not move at all near the cap, like it's some Calculus function of finding the limit. I feel like you're meant to just completely redo your entire base layouts after certain researches to optimize the research stations, but also the buildings have a limit in how far down the road they can go. So redoing the layout means somehow getting all the construction materials to them while also having the pops to build them without them dying of thirst/starvation/etc. And then it introduces 'supply' buildings that have a bit more range. And then it lets you route to more islands.... but you need population to use the buildings on those islands, and they want their needs met and you need the construction materials so you make it on those islands too. And there's like a million building types.

It's just way too annoying to me for an "idle game".

edit: The memory stone attachments to the research buildings also need a road connection for some awful reason. edit3: Once you make an attachment, you don't need the road anymore.

edit2: I tried to convert all my roads to stone roads and everyone died.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 28, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I'm a fan of Antimatter as 2nd universe, since the Weak Mastery gene wouldn't affect you as much, and you can pick up some Anti-Plasmids (1500-3000), get the first level of Bleed, and get out of there and then have the permanent buffs.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

https://lloyd-delacroix.github.io/omsi-loops/

Been playing this lately. Not sure if it was linked before. Well, I was going to drop it because of how slow it was getting, but I decided to just open the console and put in the cheat commands to give myself infinite Bonus Seconds and set the rate to 50x. There is still an element of overnight progress and at least when I'm actively looking at it, I'll be able to see the result of a loop in 1-2 mins. There are also multiple branches of this including one with a pet.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

EvilElmo posted:

Also request sent.. EvilElmo

Sent a request under.... rhnsrjns

Because apparently that's the name I tied to my email address months ago last time I opened this.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Ironwood RPG Guild - currently the Guild tab is a 500 error but when it's back just go ahead and kick off an event? Someone asked in guild chat which one to do but I don't think anybody cares and also I have no way to respond to that.

Also, is the market a good way to make money early game? I have just been doing everything myself, and upgrading house whenever the guild quests reset and I get that huge influx of money from them.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 3, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Ironwood RPG: Is there any early game good time/money sinks for if you're trying to get some gold off the market? I'm getting to the point, with food and potions especially, that I really just want to buy them rather than spend time leveling those areas.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Ironwood RPG: How do the XP potions work? Feels like they do nothing?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I don't like the entire Horde section. It feels way too active with the super short cooldown clickies.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I'm up to 9 equipment slots in Horde and this section is increasingly becoming more and more unfun. It's not interesting to roll my face across 9 buttons every 3 seconds. Or make barely any progress when I'm not actively doing that. It's not as 'set and forget' as the other ones.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 3, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

If anyone knows what the Night Hunt's potion combinations are, please let me know. After getting the 2 ingredients upgrade, I just save scummed and tried out various combinations and got nothing except for a potion from a single Charred skull.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

You input the same ingredient combination that got you the potion, they will require more of them than before.

I just tried savescumming like 20 times to upgrade a potion at 30% and it didn't work. Not sure what's going on.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I'm not sure how it is on mobile, but on desktop you click on the crop then click on the field.

Re: Potions - while you can't save scum an upgrade, you can savescum different combinations until you get one that works and then load that save. It may not work on the first try but at least you'll know that's a viable combination for a potion.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Since you can look at the potion combinations apparently, there is no way way to save scum that I can think of. Just using up all your materials to upgrade potions and if nothing upgrades then reload and try again later.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Gooboo: How do I know what is the maximum number of times I can overgrowth a crop?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Sayara posted:

How mining prestige works is that it starts to accumulate slowly, and you'll gain next amount of prestige currency every time you reach a full meter, with max being your highest mining level divided by 10. E.g. you've reached depth of 55m, so maximum mining prestige depth is 5.5m, and you''ll reach max amount of currency at 5m. It slows down the higher it gets, but you also get bigger amount of currency if you wait.

The more I play, the more I feel like prestiges do practically nothing to change or enhance the gameplay loop. Maybe it's the pacing of the game, and it's obviously new, but now it's just 4 bad idlers in one to me.

The Depth Dweller accumulates quickly but slows down over time, but its speed is based on your current maximum depth (boosted by upgrades), so diving deeper makes it go faster since it is going faster when you're 25% of the way compared to 50%. It also gives you bonus prestige currency every half meter, not just full meter.

quote:

The more I play, the more I feel like prestiges do practically nothing to change or enhance the gameplay loop. Maybe it's the pacing of the game, and it's obviously new, but now it's just 4 bad idlers in one to me.

They definitely feel like incremental improvements most of the time, especially in the Horde mode. I actually appreciate the more 'set and forget' style of it with slight adjustments when you tab back to it, compared to Evolve/Trimps/Theresmore which are absolutely frantic. Those three I ended up sucking all the fun out of with automation scripts that played the game for me.

Ultimately, once you know what all the unlocks are, the idle game is basically done for most people. It's not a bad idea to just export a save and come back later, rather than endlessly grinding the endgame. With how each mode seems to be giving you 'permanent' upgrades the further along in achievements you are, it's reducing the early game to get you to your current point quicker every time, but the pacing is all over the place. Horde mode is the worst about this I feel. Due to souls luck, I did a prestige that wasn't enough for the main time-reducing upgrades (Ash Circle and Decimate). So at a certain point it feels like I can't make a Horde run get any more value so I'm sorta forced to just prestige for the same amount I did last time, or less... but all the upgrades cost way more. At least I know Horde is undergoing a major rework so we'll see.

The green gems for cards also compete with another mechanic you get later that also costs green gems a pop... and I barely get enough gems to support slotting in cards every run.

It's inefficient but I just let runs go much longer just so the upgrades are more impactful and I'll have some extra stuff like the cards and school upgrades. If you just go for fast runs I can see how you would burn out or feel that the upgrades are not meaningful.

Also, it's a new game, it took years for Evolve to reach its current depth.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 11, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Zotix posted:

Village knowledge isn't terrible though. I'm in T4 buildings now and getting another 10% knowledge is great. It's one of the biggest limiting factors at this point.

It's just 1.1x knowledge gain, though? If it was knowledge cap sure, but knowledge gain I just max out my librarians for a bit and I quickly run out of things to spend knowledge on due to cap.

I'm saving up for the 1.15x grain thing, seems to be the only good thing in there that isn't random like the cards and.... whatever the Autumn forest thing is.

Also I was wrong before, depth dweller doesn't seem to go any faster regardless of your maximum current depth except for the speed upgrade during the run.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

The most useless prestige upgrade by far is the tax rate for Village. They need to rework the food system so you're not just running out as soon as you build a few Treasuries.

I'll be fine with this game as soon as the rework Horde and get rid of all the clickies, or at least make it so you only do it once in a while but it's more impactful. Also, some of the abilities are just useless for both passive and active purposes.

The semi-randomness of the Night Hunt and Pickaxe Crafting is also annoying, I would almost prefer just pure random to this. Save scumming to manipulate the semi-RNG to get potion upgrades because otherwise I would have only gotten like 1 upgrade this entire time, and possibly finished the event without even getting the good reward.

The farm game is fine, I just do one type of crop at a time so whenever I check back I can refresh all at once. I assume at high overgrowth levels, the +fertilizer effects crop level bonus is going to be good.

Village game is fine, but you need to use gold to increase gold generation, and there's nothing that I see so far (level 4 building) that will help increase gold generation in early game other than increasing workstations for a minor amount of grain/food.

Treasures are much better than the card packs, so I'm not sure what they were thinking there. I have bought a ton of card packs and still no closer to completing a set, and I don't even know if the remaining cards are in the current set or if they're in a different set. It should really tell you on the empty slots what set the card could be in.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 14, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It does though?

You are correct. Not sure how I missed that. But at such a low chance to get that card... treasures are a much better green gem investment.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Yes, for unique cards. Once you have most of a set however, and the remaining cards are like 1-3% chance per pack, filling out treasures still seems like the better investment to me.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Jackpot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I forget the number, but it's the unlock spot to the right of Event. I would slow down on prestige card usage and just save up to fill out your treasure slots when you unlock it. Then go back to cards after that, since upgrading treasures only provides minor adjustments. This screenshot shows everything involved:

The upgrades are fairly minor (x1.3 to x1.36 for tier 1 and x1.5 to 1.6 for tier 2 for a couple of treasures I moused over. Aside from Smeltery speed, pretty much everything you roll has a good benefit.