Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hobo Erotica posted:

I think the goal here is to defeat Trump, not necessarily to deliver a nuanced analysis of the economic matrix of the Obama administration

The Obama economy directly led to Trump, so holding it up as some gold standard seems kinda self-defeating if your goal is to beat him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It doesn't even matter because "the Obama economy" is meaningless to the vast majority of voters. Most people who vote based on economic factors are often basing their assessment on the handful of months immediately leading up to the election and their personal experience and anecdotes about people around them are going to be far more powerful than a focus grouped zinger about moving unemployment rates.

Powerful economic messages are presented as storylines, typically with lots of heroes and villains, and with a focus on issues that are viscerally meaningful to regular people. So you talk about communities growing or dying, you talk about getting a job or getting fired, you talk about people denied compensation for their injuries, you invoke classic moral maxims about how hard work deserves fair pay, etc. You craft messages that adhere to the old advertising principle that "facts tell and stories sell".

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Buttigieg elected mayor of turtle island in a landslide, ousting incumbent Master Roshi in a 6-1 vote

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Someone tell this non-us oblivious dude what it would take for Andrew Yang to win? I like him.

First, he'd have to become a much better speaker. Second, he'd have to become a much better politician. Third, he'd have to come up with some much better policies and positions.

It's not like he's a normal politician whose only unusual idea is the Freedom Dividend. His issues page reads like a libertarian fever dream, it's just that no one cares enough to draw attention to it as long as he's just a joke candidate.

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.

Main Paineframe posted:

First, he'd have to become a much better speaker. Second, he'd have to become a much better politician. Third, he'd have to come up with some much better policies and positions.

It's not like he's a normal politician whose only unusual idea is the Freedom Dividend. His issues page reads like a libertarian fever dream, it's just that no one cares enough to draw attention to it as long as he's just a joke candidate.

Also, hiring an advisor smart enough to tell him "I'm an Asian guy who is good at math! That's the opposite of Donald Trump! AN ASIAN GUY WHO IS GOOD AT MATH!" is _not_ the slam dunk "vote for me" argument he thinks it is.
Like seriously he will not stop saying that over and over like it's this amazing idea. It's getting concerning.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1160549831812759552

In which the punditry completely glosses over the fact that the most frequent second choice for Bernie voters is Biden (and for Warren voters is Harris).

It's because polling is still useless name recognition, but also because neither candidate's voter base is nearly as progressive as the narrative (and/or wishful thinking) holds it out to be.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Got video from someone I know in Austin through my Indivisible days. Looks like Mayor Pete spent yesterday marching in their Pride event.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Bernie: peddling votes, eating at diners with fat old white Iowans

Buttogieg: marching in a Pride event in Austin with no fanfare or media presence

Really speaks to their priorities

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Calibanibal posted:

Bernie: peddling votes, eating at diners with fat old white Iowans

Buttogieg: marching in a Pride event in Austin with no fanfare or media presence

Really speaks to their priorities

I feel like you want me to think Sanders is doing the better thing here but I just can’t. Standing with a marginalized group even in the absence of publicity is cool and good, better than going to a diner to court the “economically anxious” with cameras all around.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PT6A posted:

I feel like you want me to think Sanders is doing the better thing here but I just can’t. Standing with a marginalized group even in the absence of publicity is cool and good, better than going to a diner to court the “economically anxious” with cameras all around.

Love the scare quotes to imply that millions of people aren't on the edge of poverty every day and that what Bernie is really courting is the people who voted for trump for no reason other than racism

Even better job falling for calibanabal

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Not sure it was "without fanfare" anyway, didn't mean to suggest that. More that my friend wasn't aware he was going to be there until pow, there he was.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/l...05-fd2c46fcae3b

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also a cis white gay dude who happens to be a member of the ruling class marching in pride isn't something to cheer, motherfuckers will throw everyone else under the bus in a pico second

Like drat he did the thing that required the least amount of effort, at an event that has largely been coopted by corporations and politicians to make themselves look woke

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also a cis white gay dude who happens to be a member of the ruling class marching in pride isn't something to cheer, motherfuckers will throw everyone else under the bus in a pico second

Like drat he did the thing that required the least amount of effort, at an event that has largely been coopted by corporations and politicians to make themselves look woke

It's the only thing masking his sociopathic careerism so the bare minimum has to be played up as actually incredibly important, certainly much more so than giving a poo poo about most Americans who are being ground into the loving dirt on a daily basis.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Did Stalin drop out of the race?

The architect of the human soul and the engineer of civilizations won the race that mattered, friend

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Also lol at talking up marching at a Pride event for a dude who wants a trans woman imprisoned and tortured indefinitely at best, executed at worst.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Oh Snapple! posted:

Also lol at talking up marching at a Pride event for a dude who wants a trans woman imprisoned and tortured indefinitely at best, executed at worst.

Like I said

Cis white gay dudes with money will throw the rest of us under the bus without a moment's hesitation

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Oh Snapple! posted:

A funnier poster than me should make a joke about the Raytheon "we need more lgbt engineers" recruiting program in colleges.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Why did they pick the most Asian-looking picture of Musk I've ever seen in my loving life?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

You’re absolutely right, he needs to go much, much further. But that road goes further away from Iowan diners, not back to them.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Chilichimp posted:

Why did they pick the most Asian-looking picture of Musk I've ever seen in my loving life?

Angle and lighting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PT6A posted:

You’re absolutely right, he needs to go much, much further. But that road goes further away from Iowan diners, not back to them.

Why are you refusing to admit that addressing the issues normal human beings face every day is good

Why is it bad to talk to people and say, hey, your poo poo? It sucks. I know. Im going to make it better

Is it because you assume those people are all racist because you should probably stop repeating hillbot talking points

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

PT6A posted:

That’s idiotic. There are plenty of lgbt+ people in the rural Midwest.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

PT6A posted:

You know how elections and campaigns work, right.

To say nothing of this dead-end philosophy of saying 'gently caress you' to poor people and letting the right be the only ones talking to them.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

The architect of the human soul and the engineer of civilizations won the race that mattered, friend

That stage in CoD was hella fun.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also absolutely lol at admitting that Pete was pandering but Bernie talking to the people whose votes he needs, who would be helped by his policies, that's loving bullshit they're probably all racist and don't deserve to not be ground into a fine powder by our idiot assed system

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Oh Snapple! posted:

You know how elections and campaigns work, right.

To say nothing of this dead-end philosophy of saying 'gently caress you' to poor people and letting the right be the only ones talking to them.

I was about to say, it's not like a lot of the racial tension in America comes from our ruling class' dogged refusal to address economic concerns and letting the right push the blame onto brown people

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1160318908978515968

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I was about to say, it's not like a lot of the racial tension in America comes from our ruling class' dogged refusal to address economic concerns and letting the right push the blame onto brown people

It really can't be stated enough how literally everyone wins by pointing these folks at the people actually destroying them instead of oppressed communities suffering right along with (and in very many cases, actually worse than) them.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Cis white gay dudes are the cis white straight dudes of the LGBT+ community.

That Chelsea Manning answer was appalling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Like I said

Cis white gay dudes with money will throw the rest of us under the bus without a moment's hesitation

Accurate, but the 'with money' part is really the most important one here. They'll roast us alive to protect their privilege and blame it on any and every scapegoat.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Accurate, but the 'with money' part is really the most important one here. They'll roast us alive to protect their privilege and blame it on any and every scapegoat.

ehhhhh i know plenty of cis white gay guys who dont have money and are still incredibly lovely about everyone else in the quiltbag

i mean money is obviously a much broader and obvious thing but cis gay dudes are wildly lovely to other queer folks

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

You do understand that Obama won Iowa in 2008 and 2012 and that Clinton lost it in 2016, right?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It seems that there's some subspecies of liberal brain spiders that makes the victim divide the US into Good States and Bad States and also makes them assume that the Bad States are populated entirely by some subhuman redneck troglodyte stereotypes and hence they deserve to be collectively punished.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1160588422165274624

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cerebral Bore posted:

It seems that there's some subspecies of liberal brain spiders that makes the victim divide the US into Good States and Bad States and also makes them assume that the Bad States are populated entirely by some subhuman redneck troglodyte stereotypes and hence they deserve to be collectively punished.

no its literally "filthy rural poors i bet they're all astonishingly racist how dare bernie court the racists"

which a) how did ignoring the working class go in 2016

b) lol do you think "Moderate republicans" arent racist, and the party has no problem courting them

c) the whole thing about racial tensions being stoked by the ruling class to stop the proles from building solidarity and standing against them

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

hahaha

https://twitter.com/cornpuddy/status/1160588679825559552?s=20

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

You do understand that Obama won Iowa in 2008 and 2012 and that Clinton lost it in 2016, right?

Yes, I remember those happy days back before evangelical Christian white supremacy, emboldened by a supportive administration, became clearly the greatest existential threat to the United States in our lifetimes. Those days before 2016, when we were shown that white people would sell out their own economic interests in favour of supporting those same white supremacists. I pray we don't make the same mistakes again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Moviebob is pretty much the end result of when you don't hear the loud part and say the quiet part loud.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

ehhhhh i know plenty of cis white gay guys who dont have money and are still incredibly lovely about everyone else in the quiltbag

i mean money is obviously a much broader and obvious thing but cis gay dudes are wildly lovely to other queer folks

I can also believe that. Kind of the whole deal of Republicans is convincing people they'll be spared based on one keyword of their label. (they won't)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PT6A posted:

Yes, I remember those happy days back before evangelical Christian white supremacy, emboldened by a supportive administration, became clearly the greatest existential threat to the United States in our lifetimes. Those days before 2016, when we were shown that white people would sell out their own economic interests in favour of supporting those same white supremacists. I pray we don't make the same mistakes again.

well we had the bush years.

getting sick of these reboots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

Do you understand how the electoral college works?