Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is this the first time a sequel has shown the original movies as...an actual movie in the movie!? The new trailer shows clips from the OG Matrix on like a projector or something lmfao what is going on?

Also there had BETTER be a scene with Cipher in the background as a famous actor or the movie is trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I thought it was petty cool! The detailed mocap of Neo and Trinity’s faces while shooting (on rails) was still overall impressive.

It makes more sense than those loving power aid tie-in commercials for Reloaded at least.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A ton of actual film development uses unreal 5 now.

I imagine this is movie assets with a bunch of sliders turned down more than stuff they put lots of work into for a game.

It apparently took a team an entire year to make the demo, I wonder what was custom developed and what could be done as a ‘regular’ professional with these tools…

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Archer666 posted:

The soundtrack for the first movie is getting a vinyl reissue with a new Don Davis interview:

https://www.kerrang.com/the-complete-matrix-soundtrack-to-get-deluxe-vinyl-reissue

Very cool! Definitely ordering.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Keanu was on Colbert promoting resurrections and the only thing Colbert said about it was it was entertaining :geno:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
looking forward to the scene where Morpheus tells Neo to hurry up and take the pill, theyre running out of time! for Neo to respond with ‘yeah…bullet time’ and then wink at the camera

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Did it look like a YouTube original series in the theater, or is that just the trailers?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Mister Chief posted:

The production quality is not consistent I would say.

I may be reading too much into it but it felt like it got better as the story went on and there does appear to be a distinction between different parts of the movie after certain events in terms of how they are shot.

The early half seemed to favour CGI massively and then the later half seemed mostly practical where possible. Again, might be my imagination.

That is really disappointing to hear :saddowns:

It’s weird how they made a point of really jumping off a tall building!! but then used an iPhone to film other parts?

This is starting to feel too meta since I felt the same way watching promotional material for Reloaded…like people would be arguing online that the burly brawl only looked horrible since the ‘cg team was still working on it until the very end!’

Anyway. At least this time I’m expecting something very different going in. I appreciate all the early reviews.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lmfao

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I’m gonna see this in the theater tonight because it’s the MATRIX and I’m an idiot, but I’m guessing this should have been a 4 part HBO mini series or something from the cheapness of the trailers.

What was the budget on this one anyway?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

checkplease posted:

Just got out of seeing it in IMAX. Loved it.

Some thoughts:
-A lot of talk about the action scenes, but I enjoyed the intro scenes and subway fight at least. These were better in the original, but thats kind of the point.

ah yes its lovely on purpose

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
He was easily one of the best and most memorable characters of the original trilogy

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I'm glad they spent all that money doing 13 takes of Neo and Trinity actually jumping off a real building!! when it looked like poo poo anyway and made zero sense outside of GIRL POWER. lmfao that ratm all girl cover band

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Shiroc posted:

They literally took a leap of faith together which is what freed Trinity to save Neo and become his equal as far as 'powers'.

Wouldn’t the one with muscle memory be better at it then someone who just started to believe 5 minutes ago?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Remember when they introduce a robot character side kick right out of transformers 2? What the gently caress lmao

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Butternubs posted:

The tagline should have been "we made the film wrong, as a joke"

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

TTBF posted:

Do you think what The Analyst was doing with Neo was a genuine attempt at therapy? Do you think he was seeing patients other than Neo?

Lol I love this idea.

Sorry, Thomas, can we reschedule? I built this world for you buuut I’m about to hit a breakthrough with Becky and I need to see this through.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Loved the bots turning evil by running a matrix code windows screen saver over their pupils.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Neo and Trinity are in special pods that are close to each other because the Analyst discovered 1.) keeping them close together increased their energy output and 2.) by torturing them both by making them unhappy on purpose they output even more energy. They are absolutely in the same matrix as the rest of society, though.

I can't remember what happens to Smith. Neo punches him through a wall and then we never see him again I think?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ImpAtom posted:

The opening of the movie literally involves the protagonist dealing with the fact that a sequel is being made to a personal passion project of theirs without their say or consent and their only choice is to come back or let something personal and private to them be picked to death by focust testers and marketing people who try to narrow it down to specific popularity points. It's not exactly subtle about the fact that Warner Brothers is demanding they retread already finished ground considering they literally say that in the film.

None of this excuses winking at the camera and making a bad film, though. Maybe lana should have hosed off and let someone who actually had passion and desire to do something...anything...that wasn't a vehicle to tell the world how lovely her previous finance partners are.

Ultimately the whole thing feels like a slap in the face to anyone invested in the original material.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SUNKOS posted:

He returns to help Neo and Trinity in the coffee shop at the end. When the Analyst has frozen time and is on his way to shoot Trinity, Smith appears and is somehow immune to the time fuckery that the Analyst pulls and proceeds to attack the visibly confused Analyst (which unfreezes everyone) and messes up some agents/cops as well. After the fight is over and Neo & Trinity are reunited, the Analyst then activates the swarm before getting shot apart by Smith who then states that their alliance ends there and disappears, revealing the body he was inhabiting at the time was the barista who acts visibly confused. I'm guessing that Smith essentially being a beta for the swarm (Revolutions) meant that he knew what was up and noped out to save himself.

Don't have a clue why he came to save Neo & Trinity after trying to kill him earlier however. Still really wish Weaving had been there for that final Smith scene because him interrupting and scaring the poo poo out of the Analyst would have been so much better. After the film ended my first thoughts were a reconstruction of that scene with Weaving and his particular way of speaking and mannerisms, it would have been excellent. Still would have made no sense (unless I'm dumb and missed why he suddenly wanted Neo alive rather than dead) but would have been much more entertaining, imo.

I think the franchise is dead now so we'll likely never see it explored further but it felt oddly wholesome to have Smith come and save for day for Neo & Trinity.

Ah yeah, completely forgot about that part! I liked the idea of Smith teaming up because he's just an agent of chaos at that point. I think that was the first time we've seen someone recover from being infected by an agent.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

HorseLord posted:

smartphones claim another victim

I saw it in a theater but forgot some of the later details because of the student band screaming wake up! at the end while trinity smirks at the camera holding hands with her boyfriend

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The last jedi was a real movie so it's not really analogous.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

HorseLord posted:

it doesn't matter where you saw it. you were looking at your phone

You watched it on your phone :agesilaus:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I loved niobes point about how war was ultimately another form of control and distraction. Without it the humans bounced back incredibly well, and now can pinch to zoom on matrix code terminals lol.

The move away from hard lined old phones into moving through mirrors made for some great imagery.

Regarding Weaving and Fishborne not being in the films…I bet they’re glad they dodged this bullet :cool:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

DaveKap posted:

Y'know... I totally understand Lana trying to take back the franchise, prevent WB from running it into the ground, and pushing forward the messages she wants to push forward...

...but there is something to be said for the hundreds of other people who worked on that first film (and maybe the other two) and contributed to its greatness and how they might feel about its continuation being what it is. I'd be interested in what Bill Pope thinks, for example.

So for fun, I decided to see if he expressed any opinions. Here's an interview where he talks about how filming for the Matrix sequels sucked rear end because the Wachowskis were trusting in Stanley Kubrick's style of filming of doing 90 takes:
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/07/the-matrix-cinematographer-sequels-mind-numbing-1234573077/
This kinda kills the argument (for me, anyway) that filming taking 4 months was a detriment to the film.

This is really interesting, I had no idea the wachowskis fell into that Kubrick trap. I think Bill Pope is right about filming too much poo poo at once, ultimately 2 & 3 felt sort of soulless to me, but again, were at least an honest to god attempt and making good movies.

Speaking of filming multiple projects at once, Avatar 2 should be out dec. ‘22. James Cameron has been filming like 3 movies at once lol, but he’s had like 10 years to do it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Keanu had to train for 6 months, stretching for 8 hours a day, to do his own stunts in Reloaded and Revolutions. I can forgive the actor for not wanting to gently caress with that, but there’s no excuse for NPH and Geoff not going hog wild king fu-ing each other. Make the fuckers work for it!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Wherever the series goes from here, Neo should end up being the next architect.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The machines “rebuilt” Neo and Trinity by recreating their fleshy bits. That’s why it was expensive, as it probably hadn’t been done before? That’s my read anyway, I didn’t come away thinking they’re now made of nano bots or something…

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean… machine’s entire energy source is manufacturing humans (from birth). Sure there’s probably extra steps to rebuilding an already existing human but we (as batteries) are their bread and butter.

good point! Although iirc the only mention of that was in the og film when Morpheus says humans are grown, not born. So maybe fixing broken humans physically is something they never bothered trying before.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I figured it was a play on the first machine city called 01. I think that’s only mentioned in the animatrix.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Colonel Whitey posted:

My one big knock on the movie is that it lacked any kind of distinctive visual flair or language. Other than that I think I liked it and can’t wait to see it again on HBO Max, a Warner Brothers product

Gotta give it credit where it’s due. It looked distinctively amateur.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MJeff posted:

The dock fight in Revolutions doesn't do a ton for me because Mifune and Kid and Link's wife all feel pretty undercooked as characters, but the Hammer's run through the mechanical (NOBODY CAN FLY MECHANICAL) tunnel was really great, I thought.

It was supposed to hinge on people learning about these characters in the animatrix and video game tie ins. I saw all of that and I still did not care about a single person inside Zion.

I think it’s because the og movie showed one ship, one captain, and the stakes were life or death. Then we find out oh there are a bunch of ships, humans are not rare, and most of them think Morpheus is a religious zealot. Then it turns out Zion isn’t even special, neo is a calculation and nothing really matters since the matrix is a better loving world to be in anyway!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The way the squiddies moved like a flock of birds was really loving cool. Lol at those mechs not having any sort of protection for the pilots faces tho.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
In the original movie Neo reminisces about a good noodle shop, and asks what those memories mean, to which Trinity replies ‘the matrix cannot tell you who you are.’

My read from that was this virtual life is ultimately meaningless and it was worth the casualties of innocents to break free because otherwise everyone is a casualty.

Resurrections complicates that with the bot thing and honestly I don’t think Lana really gave a poo poo. Even the analyst at the end of his explanation says ‘and swarm mode is wicked cool’ or something dismissive.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Horizon Burning posted:

this was not a good film. like, the audio mixing, the fight choreography, the general plot, the weird smith 2.0 guy, merovingian showing up to rant about video games, the entirely ridiculous meta creation movie director stuff. did they make this film wrong as a joke?

it’s high tech Freddy got fingered, yeah.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
That would kick rear end. Also loled at John Gaetea’s cameo in resurrections, he even got a speaking part! He should have worked on the vfx instead.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

DaveKap posted:

Has there been any discussion about "The Kid" from The Animatrix/Revolutions who was awoken by throwing himself off a building? While watching the movie I expected his 75-year-old rear end to show up as the head Neologist but we got nothin.

He was the worst *character by far in 2 & 3 so thankfully no!

*the actor played it so annoyingly I couldn’t help but hate him. His origin story wasn’t bad, though.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
https://screenrant.com/matrix-4-resurrections-cast-story-confused-response/

quote:

While speaking with EW's Around the Table, the new Matrix cast members admitted that they had trouble understanding their characters during off-set conversations with Lana Wachowski.

Priyanka Chopra Jonas told a story about asking Lana to describe her character Sati before a BTS interview and coming out "so much more confused than when I walked in."

Abdul-Mateen II expressed a similar sentiment, saying that sometimes after asking a question he'd say "Golly, I wish I didn't go ask because now I'm more confused than before I went in." Jessica Henwick, who plays Bugs, quickly realized that “Every time I ask she's going to talk about life instead,” and that Wachowski didn't want the actors prepping their characters at home, but rather finding them while filming on set.

Turns out writing a script based on a stress dream doesn’t result in your best work. This, combined with telling actors to just improvise the action sequences, clearly shows Lana simply cared more about her personal vendetta against wb or is incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
That’s because they went through the effort of filming on a real building with real helicopters, and then directed them to hover still and shoot at one spot. They put so much effort into these practical stunts and they have absolutely zero weight to them. What a waste of…everything?