Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The King of Siam offered Abraham Lincoln a squadron of war elephants as a sign of support in the Civil War. Abe declined the offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Tree Bucket posted:

My grandparent's farm is buried under a spoil heap from a genuine Australian strip mining complex. Feeling very emblematic rn

:australia:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Popete posted:

I hope Russias modern day district is a krokodil factory.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Swedish emblematic district better be Ikea.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

My first experience with a pollution system was Civ 3 where it added a bunch of pointless busywork and felt tedious and unfun. I like the environmental impact system of Civ 6 GS and how it plays with the natural disaster system though.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Wrr posted:

Turning off the narrator is all but mandatory. I don't know why they thought that their game (supposedly) about the wonder, beauty, dignity, and tragedy of humankind throughout the ages really needed a smarmy dipshit who won't shut the gently caress up

I think it's because they're french?

Has anyone tried to do a historical run through for roleplay purposes? As in choosing an area like India or China or central America and choosing the closest people geographically each era? So doing something like Olmecs, Mayans, Aztecs, Spain, Mexico, Brazil I guess?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Staltran posted:

Ransack the main plaza, build outpost, attach to another city. If there are any other territories attached to the razed city they just detach and keep their outposts.

Do you have to conquer the city before you can raze it? I've never been able to raze a foreign city by attacking it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I like the Achaeminid Persians. The extra two cities feels like a huge boost to my empires overall production, especially because with immortals you can get those two cities "for free" by gobbling up juicy cities on the map.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Xarbala posted:

The dia de los muertos event is buggy as hell.

I suspect that the game being a memory hog and also having a bit of a leak is making it hard for it to phone home to amplitude's games2gether servers. So people who've been playing a ton in one sitting trying to get their challenges done are getting stymied when the game's running at it's chunkiest.

It took closing the game and reopening it to get it to start recognizing civics again.

I had this happen to me and had to reboot my computer and reload the save.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I would feel more immersed if opponents were tracked by leader avatar.

I also find I'm up picking the same cultures all the time to best fit my play style and not really branching out and trying different ones. Each playthrough feels the same.

I liked the day of the dead event because it pushed me to try different combinations than I usually tried.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I wish there was an easy way to tell which district is which when not zoomed all the way in on the map. That would help me a ton with district placement.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

skeleton warrior posted:

One of the overlays selectable in the lower right color codes districts to their output - green for farming, orange for industry, yellow for gold, etc.

Somehow I missed this completely. Welp guess I'm doing another playthrough once my vacation starts.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm wondering if part of why every game feels the same is that the choice of cultures means I always play the game the same way and I just change the order of my culture picks to keep the same strategy and play style working instead of adapting to the culture I chose to play.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I feel like the AI is much more aggressive since the latest patch.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I like the events because it encourages me to try different cultures, but trying ones I normally pass over usually just reenforces their uselessness in the current game balance. The Chinese are nice if I need an extra oil or aluminum for the space project and one of the AIs is behind on tech. The rest is very underwhelming. Same with the ming, by that point I usually feel like I don't need the extra influence because everything has been claimed.

On the other hand the Zhou are actually kinda nice. The early research district does help me from falling too far behind in tech in the early game and the bonus stability let's me build more districts which is nice. Not sure I'd consistently pick them over the Harrapans or Olmecs or Egyptians though.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Gort posted:

My biggest problems in this game are knowing when to build makers districts and when not to, and when a territory should have a city and when it should be an attachment.

Anyone got hard-and-fast rules for those?

I find it's usually best to stay at or just over your city cap.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Wait, Stellaris has spies?! When were those added?

You can now task your envoys to spy stuff. It works basically the same as assigning a diplomat to building a covert network in EU4

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Clarste posted:

Well, I actually downloaded the expansion and tried it out. The main difference seems to be the changes to Independents. Basically it is slightly more complicated to recruit them, but also they are annoyingly more aggressive than they used to be. My first game I almost immediately lost because an Independent decided to run around destroying all of my outposts at once before I'd even built a military unit. I don't think that's necessarily wrong of them, but I'm used to playing on Pacifist Mode because I can't be bothered, and now I am forced to be bothered.

The Embassy and Council of Humanity stuff seems insanely pointless and not worth interacting with. You can force other people to change their Civics (kinda-sorta not really) but it is extremely unclear why you should care.

I guess changing civics would be nice if it meant cutting down on those cultural osmosis events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Chamale posted:

Can't buy resources when there are four oil wells in the world, three belong to your enemy, and the owner of the fourth won't talk to me.

At least there's a way to avoid this problem using the game setup, but as it stands they really should have made abundant resources the default. In our world, each one of the five largest countries produces at least a billion barrels of oil per year.

I feel 4x games make it harder than it should be to buy resources and don't make it profitable enough to sell resources. One thing is love to see in a lot of games is that if you have a resource unlocked but another player doesn't, you can still buy it and you both get the benefit of it.