Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just picked this up since it was on sale. Any advice on when I should pick the Customary Laws (half cost outpost setup) vs Codified Laws (-20% cost for Attach Outpost and Absorb City)? The fluff doesn't move me either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Thanks for all the advice.

I see what people are complaining about vis-a-vis the AI. I feel like I've played my first game very sloppily. I even stumbled into and won a war because the AI let me siege one of their cities with a scout for 4 rounds. They kept "attacking" but never actually did any damage to my scout. It was very wierd.

Despite that, I'm somehow in the lead by half an era. Next closest civ was at 2 stars when I hit 7 in the most recent era so I stuck around an extra 5 turns or so to farm fame.

Is it just me, or is the Khmer unique district all kinds of buggy?

It's supposed to count as both a farmer's district and a maker district and get +4 industry from adjacent rivers in addition to a base +5 food. I can't get the math to add up anywhere I've placed it though.

Edit: Oh, I think the bottom flag counts the resources you are already getting, and the math on the larger flag only counts the new resources you are getting. Huh, I kind of wish they'd done that the other way around. I don't really care about the existing resources when picking new district locations.

District behavior in general has been unintuitive, even though I've played Endless Legends and so am semi-familiar with their city sprawl concepts.

I really, really like the decision calculus between high value districts that provide a big benefit but also have an ongoing cost vs the minor benefits from the non-district improvements that don't have any kind of upkeep once you've built them.

The festivals that (I think) provide a permanent bonus are interesting too, but I haven't built one yet.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 28, 2021

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

On the higher difficulties, how are the AI getting so many fame points? Or better, how do I maximize my fame points while still not falling behind everyone else in territory? I thought I was a pretty average player, getting through the eras either first or second compared to the AI, and keeping ahead/on par with tech, but I'll end an era with like 500 score while the first place person has something stupid like 3000 and I don't even get how it's possible sometimes.

I get part of it is switching mindsets from a Civ-style play, but I guess I still don't get the fame-hunting meta?

You get double fame from actions that match your civic affinity. So picking an easy affinity like expansion probably helps. I'm really new so there's bound to be other tricks.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I just picked France for my new Culture. Even before that I was a full era ahead of the next closest AI. At this point I feel like I'm mostly trying to grind out a win. I wish there was a way to automate exploring unclaimed territories to pick up the curiosities. I've got to slog through this era and then one more to end the game I think.

This is my first game with default settings and I've been playing blind.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Vengarr posted:

The limiting factor to the culture swap is that the cultures themselves are limited. It creates a real incentive to drive hard towards the next era, which is counter-balanced by the desire to get as many fame stars as possible.

Really my only complaint is that it’s tough to get a feel for your opponents when they’re constantly shifting names. You should choose one name for your people and keep it for the whole game, instead of “Harappans? Who are they again?”

Yes, please. Keeping the same name or a name and a note about the current culture, would be a very nice QoL improvement.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

This game has been very disappointing to me, I ended up playing multiple Civ 6 games alongside this and finished them all while I fell off every single Humankind game I've started. I don't know why but even when Civ has always been oriented towards getting Bigger Number, I feel like I'm making more impactful decisions in district placement with Civ than in Humankind, where I'm just repeatedly spamming production and food quarters endlessly since I never get a feel for when I have "enough" food and production.

I'd rather play the Endless games again, at least they have that strong narrative and aesthetic carrying them.

Civ lets you build fewer districts, so they have a bigger impact.

Civ’s districts also have impacts outside their city. They usually either add to a global pool like trade routes, or impact multiple cities. Humankind missed a trick by not giving most districts a strategic impact outside the primary city.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

How do you defend your cities? The AI gets free defenders in all their cities, but it feels like my cities never get any. I've researched the city defender tech a few times, but I don't always keep up with it and have never been attacked during an era while I had it researched. So I don't know if it goes away at the end of the era it was researched in or what, but I've definitely had cities captured from me without getting a battle notice.

Eldoop posted:

I feel like one thing that would help the culture swapping feel better would be if the legacy bonuses were more substantial than just +1 to whatever. Even just have most/all of each culture's stuff be permanent. I think each game would feel less same-y if it was more like speccing out a build than just going through this mostly-unconnected series of cultures.

For me, the real legacy advantage is the unique districts. But then I spend at least the first half of every era building one of the unique districts in each territory in each city. The +1 is kind of whatever.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 19, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The Lunar Festival Event is underwhelming. Much like the bonuses for the Ming culture it wants me to play :( I haven't taken a food boosting culture yet and feel like I really need to take the Haudenosaunee.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Any suggestions for getting good research?

I picked French as my most recent culture, and have finished their unique buildings, but I'm still 1-2 generations behind the current era on tech, and I've mostly been focused on production and science techs. I still haven't discovered saltpeter but I'll have coal soon.

I'm the fame leader with more than twice as much fame as the next closest NPC. All my cities have 4+ territories and I run them in city builder mode until I hit max pop on food and production then switch them to science > food > production > money.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Runa posted:

The French are a sufficiently late research culture that if you get them you probably already had an industry advantage, and it sounds like you do. Just turn on science mode (Collective Minds) on a couple of your most productive cities and watch the tech tumble in.

Thank you! This did the trick. I was so far behind in tech that I was researching multiple techs for the first few turns after turning collective mind on in my two most productive cities. I even lingered an extra 5 turns as French just so I could keep using it. I'm not quite caught up on tech, but I can at least see the border of the next era's techs now.

On a related topic, the Chinese culture is really underwhelming. 10% gold would be nice if gold was worth anything, but their unique Congress district is only marginally less awful than the generic market districts. The only good thing about it is that it provides 1 extra population slot for each FIDS, and that's only useful because my oldest cities are pop capped. It's pretty useless for my other cities. The first unique district I've ever been tempted to not build.

I'm going to use their power investor special to build up all the resource deposits my vassal has been ignoring. Very useful for that use case.

Edit: Oh wow. The AI on the other continent is even further behind in tech than I am. I'm playing on Normal, but that's kind of sad.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 2, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Very frustrated by how warscore works. Had two wars in a row end early because the other side gave up, but then refused to either be my vassal or give me the one city I actually care about even though I was only one turn away from capturing it because I'm not literally sitting on top of it yet. If they aren't willing to give me anything I want then they haven't surrendered :(

Look stupid, the only thing I want from you is your oil fields so I can build my spaceship and leave.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

One city over cap usually provides more influence than it costs. Two over is brutal and three over is so crippling you are better off razing than trying to get the next cap expansion. It is very easy to accidentally go over your city cap in a war.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

EU4 and both Crusader Kings have always had good espionage systems.

What's espionage like in EU4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

If I genuinely enjoy the Endless games, and Civ V and Civ VI, is this game a solid pick? I've been eyeballing it for a while.

It's... fine? I guess? I enjoyed the games I played with it, but it's got enough annoying parts that I don't think I'll come back to it. (e.g. AI getting to siphon off your pops with no ability to respond is infuriating - even going to war isn't effective since you are usually forced to peace out before you can raze all their adjacent cities and they just rebuild them anyways. They imported Paradox style war goals and war score in the worst way possible). It's "historical" so it's missing the flair and originality of other Endless games. If you're looking for a civlike, maybe check out Old World too.