Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Perestroika posted:

Civ VI, for all its other weaknesses, does that part rather well. Your borders not only expand, but they fill up with buildings, wonders, improvements, districts.

Firaxis stealing this from EL is like the only redeemable part of Civ 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Tree Bucket posted:

If nothing else, they'd be really solid board game rules.

Thinking of Civ as a not-at-all-balanced board game seems correct to me.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

It won't be. The optimal path of cultures to take will be solved pretty quickly, I think.

I hope not. One of the benefits to this not being made by the Civ folks is the hope that actual balance passes and effort will be put into this.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

Getting liberalism first is like the opposite of "small bonuses"

Civ4 really was the last of the 90s games, even though it came out after 9/11.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Japan in 1600 was just as technologically advanced as western Europe, and despite the Shogunate closing of the country underwent tremendous economic growth over the next two centuries which positioned the country well for industrialization in a way that it's neighbors did not.

O..okay? Was anyone arguing anything else?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Aerdan posted:

I believe they were justifying Edo-period Japan's positioning in the Early Modern period.

Charlz Guybon posted:

The White Dragon said they didn't feel that Tokugawa Japan was not early modern.

Yep, my bad!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

yegods posted:

What a lousy system is G2G. It wouldn't even let me register, saying my email address (that i've used for 10-15 years with every other site), is invalid. Good show! Hope they don't require that to play the game later.

Heads up, GMail had a major outage yesterday that was bouncing a ton of e-mails from gmail addresses, might be worth a new shot.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

F-35 for a choice is beyond stupid.

How about a Nimitz class supercarrier? B-2 stealth bombers? Cruise missiles? You know, the things that have actually projected American power across the globe for decades?

have you met 2021 america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

That's realistic. If human civilization would have focused on science and technology for the last 3000 years instead of only the last 300 years, we would have got nuclear weapons (and all the rest of modern stuff) way before. In our world, civilizations spent too much % of resources in wars and religion.
If humankind would have set the science slider to 20% like people do in Civilization games, at this point we would have colonies on Saturn moons and poo poo.

goons lmfao