Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

FZeroRacer posted:

I'm...slightly disappointed? I really loved Amplitude's world building and design with the Endless series. Them going the Civ route and essentially sticking to just human history is kind of bland, considering how many games have gone over the broad strokes in various forms.

I agree, it seems like they're just forcing themselves to be less creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Basically nothing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It seems to be following the EL thing where regions are pre-defined by the world generator and you can only have one city per region. I'd imagine an outpost is something like a pre-city where the city is in a vulnerable state before it becomes a city proper. Since that's exactly what they were in ES2.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The world ends before airplanes are invented.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Jeza posted:

In fairness, my memory of it in EL was terrible, but in ES I would autoresolve constantly without feeling cheated, so hopefully that's something they've learned to iron out.

The auto-resolve in ES2 is specifically designed to always give you the exact same result as watching the battle, although they did that by removing your ability to control the battle in any way. Personally I liked that since I don't play 4X games for tactical combat, but obviously a lot of other people hated it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Ideally in a 4x game I still think wars should be abstracted in a way that, rather than having individual units, you have a frontline and you can commit resources like manpower or production every turn to make it shift if you commit more of it than your enemy. With shifting the frontline over a river or across an ocean requiring many more resources committed, and the deeper you go into enemy territory the more costly committing becomes whereas you get bonuses the closer the frontline moves to your capital.

And then when all is said and done you sign a peace treaty where you negotiate who gets to keep what.

It would avoid endless shuffling of troop types around while also simulating the idea that it gets progressively harder to hold territory the further you go beyond your own established frontier. The downside is that people will accuse me of wanting to play a spreadsheet, as if having a spreadsheet simulator for economy and science is somehow acceptable but war needs to be this intricate 4D chess board because reasons.

I like the way you think.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean having dozens of immortal soldier chess pieces on another continent with no supply lines anything is also incredibly abstracted, just in a different way.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Once again, my reaction is "okay, so what? what do they do?"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The way I see it, the thematic point of this is to emphasize that cultures are not static: you don't have one unified American empire that lasts from the neolithic to modern times. So, like, ancient Egypt is not the same culture as modern Egypt, even if the people are their descendants, and choosing a new culture to evolve into (while keeping some of your old bonuses) represents that. Perhaps an even easier example to understand would be all the different dynasties of China. Or the way Rome fell in the West and left behind a bunch of states heavily influenced by Rome. So in that sense I am all in favor of this system.

That said, I'm not sure there's going to be a good reason not to just start with the food culture and always pick the new food culture so that you are the best at food and win a food victory.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

They are addressing that, though to what effect I'm unsure.

I can't remember the exact numbers, but you basically get X growth if you're pulling in more than 10 surplus food. You only get Y growth if you pull in more than 50 surplus food. So 40 surplus food is just as good as 15 surplus food when it comes to growth.

Now that has two issues as i see it. First it might not address the problem you describe anyway, you might still have an incentive to stack food cultures. And secondly there will be an intense incentive to micromanage if any of your yields are going to waste. Hopefully the city governor is smart enough to not let waste happen.

There might be another mechanism to prevent what you're describing though. It might be the case that food cultures are generally poorly suited to advancing to further eras (after all, it's not all about science) so by the time you get to the next era there might not be any food cultures left for you to pick. It might be that stacking cultures of the same flavourn turns out to be an awful way to play, and mixing it up is optimal.

Time will tell though

Well, I didn't mean food specifically, I just meant pick the bonuses that stacks with your current bonuses in order to snowball harder. Which is more or less how Factions have functioned in their previous games.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

We traditionally call that state "losing."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I like cosmopolitan.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The problem with the word "globalism" is that it is being applied to civilizations that are not yet able to circumnavigate the globe, or even know for certain that the world is round (yes I'm aware that it was determined indirectly quite early in history but still). The idea of anything at all being "global" in the early stages of history sounds kind of absurd to me. Presumably it just means "cares about their neighbors" which is almost always going to be much more local than "global".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

True.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

These temple temples, also commonly known as temples, were temples where they worshipped stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, this is directly after the era of local warlords, when someone finally managed to unify the nation.

Still pretty feudal though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Aerdan posted:

...no, the Tokugawa Shogunate was the birth of the samurai class and, more importantly and relevantly, the genesis of the Shinto religion. What it ended was centuries of feuding...and the Meiji restoration in the late 19th century is what ended the samurai.

Which still makes it weird that their unique building is a Buddhist temple of the sort that had already existed for hundreds of years.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Danann posted:

Fun fact: it looks like you can scale normally impassible terrain if city districts are connected to each other. What this means is that on one hand you can shift defenders to higher elevations but likewise the attacker can also just ignore all that annoying terrain if they breach the walls and have a foothold.

The folly of roads.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

does this one have a randomized map or is it like the last one where it was a premade one?

I didn't play last time, but this one seems to be premade. In that I started a second game and the map was exactly the same.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was any reason not to merge all of your cities into one giant mega-city? Because honestly I really, really want to do that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

I mean, you can, but it wouldn't be in any way efficient, not the least of which because a city can only ever grow by 1 population per turn.

Huh, I never noticed the population growth thing. Honestly, given that it takes a tech and a huge pile of Influence to merge cities, not to mention the stability penalties for having so many territories under one city, I would have expected it to be more efficient, as a sort of bonus thing you can do.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Buller posted:

I dont like this build it feels so slow. Everything is just so incredible slow compared to before.

Also Ive been just slamming next turn for like 40 turns because im boxed in and all thats left is war.

Maybe I am playing wrong but I feel like you get way too little Influence early on and you need it for everything, especially expansion, and then by the end you are generating 3000 a turn but you're boxed in with nothing to spend it on.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The goal of game AI is to make the game fun, not to make it challenging. There's some overlap but it's not at all the same thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Wouldn't you be able to train AI by giving it skill based matchmaking of sorts?

Have the very easy AI trained by the lowest 20th percentile of players, easy the 20-40th percentile, and so on, so if you play against very hard AI it will emulate moves done by the top 20th percentile of players and if you think you want an easier time, it adopts the strategies of players who lose more often?

and honestly I don't mind a "play to win" toggle. Some games that err more on the simulationalist side than the boardgame side, could use with AI that wants to just survive and faff about in a populated world instead of being cutthroat warlords. It should be up to the player whether they want to play an actual competitive game or a more simulationalist experience of tinkering with societies and tools and discovering the emergent sotrytelling.

I think you are probably misunderstanding what "training an AI" means. A "trained" AI (as opposed to one that is programmed manually to follow certain rules) doesn't try to copy players of any skill level, it runs millions of simulations against different iterations of itself to determine optimal strategies. There's no simple way to scale that up and down.

And even if it did work the way you imagined, how could they possibly get enough player data to emulate before the game is even released?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 13, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

skeleton warrior posted:

Advice from the beta, which may have changed:

There's a cap on cities, where you pay a bunch of influence extra for going over the cap. That's dealable later when influence is easy, but during the early game influence is hard so you probably want to keep to your limit.

Eventually, you can disconnect territories from cities back into outputs, and then build new cities in them - they lose their access to anything built in the original city, but keep any hexes they developed.

I generally found two territories per city felt right - more than that was too high an influence cost for tool little value, and one territory and the city just fell behind.

Just have one giant city per continent, imo. Not because this is efficient but because it's funny.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I was thinking about trying this game but when I tried to buy it I found out that it was already in my Steam library. I don't remember pre-ordering it though. Is there any sort of weird event that would let me play it on Steam?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

is there a way to downgrade a city back to an outpost? I got a bunch of bullshit cities from one of the minor AI factions and I'd like to turn them into one megacity

I don't believe you can downgrade, but there is a mid-game tech that allows one city to absorb another.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Creating outposts doesn't cost stability, at least not by any significant amount comparing to attaching them to cities. Anyway, there's no downside and if you're playing a culture civ of any kind you definitely want to claim as much territory as possible as fast as possible. It's better value than creating more, bigger cities you can't afford at least. Spending culture to exploit resources is also often cheaper and simpler than building them manually and I wish you could just down that for territories that are attached to cities.

Also I wish building a single giant mega-city was actually good, but it seems like they've stacked a billion penalties on it for launch. Like, only being able to grow 1 pop a turn is already pretty awful, but whenever I merge two big cities I find that they somehow don't have enough food to feed themselves anymore?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

victrix posted:

... wait, which game? I just finished a game of OW the other night and didn't see that, just a timeline thing

Humankind does a thing where it has some ending narration mix-and-matched from the stuff you did well at in the game. It's pretty vague though, like "you built a wonder... you had a lot of allies..."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You can spend huge amounts of it to merge your cities but it just makes them worse so I'm not sure why.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Your Computer posted:

not sure i'm a fan of the new world setting, it feels like whoever gets there first and starts settling has already won the game
and i say this because that's exactly how i won my last few games :v:

I think more generally the person who has the most territory will always win, which is a little sad.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

You can edit AI flags/colors/etc. Not sure offhand if that fixes it or not, or if its tied to the AI slot.

I changed the color and it still happened so yeah.

Your Computer posted:

you can even demand other cultures to give you their territories if you're culturally dominant.

Is there actually a point to that other than pissing them off and cutting off all trade? I've never seen one actually give in to the demand so I'm not sure why you'd want to. I guess to build up war score before you conquer them? But I don't want to conquer them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

Too easy maybe? You have to actually move the settlers into the new territory and that means they can be killed. Technically speaking you can get more slots by building hamlets, though.

You don't have to use settlers to take advantage of the free infrastructure techs. You also get all the free buildings for founding any city normally. Settlers just give them a boosted starting population and saves you the influence cost.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, I know, settlers are amazing, I'm just saying that the "risk" of physically moving settlers across the map justifying not giving older cities all the free infrastructure doesn't make any sense because the mechanics aren't even attached to each other.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't even know what their abilities are because I don't know how to check when someone else has already selected them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kazzah posted:

A converted outpost also gets the benefits of whatever colony techs you’ve researched.

My current gripe is with the pollution mechanic. It has no effect on the game til you hit Low (global) pollution, at which point it’s -50 stability worldwide. So, it’s a pro-snowball mechanic, designed to prevent catch-up, as the techs that let you power through stability are all in the Contemporary. A city’s individual pollution is also crazy; when it goes from Very Low to Low, you get hit with -15 Stab per district. Stability itself seems busted, as it includes a fake variable that is there to prevent the number from going below 0 or above 100 - which means it hides crucial info from the player. So in my last game, when pollution kicked in and my cities got hit by -100 stability (double the intended pollution hit, for some reason), I was building Commons Quarters without effect, because whenever I added 20 stability, the “base stability” would go down by 20.

And on the flip side of that, it would be incredibly useful to know how much of a stability buffer you have before you do anything that could lower it.

Ihmemies posted:

Settlers follow, as said they can turn an outpost to a city with full buildings.

For the like the third time, the Settlers don't create the buildings. You get that effect for free just from researching the tech. The Settlers only save you influence cost (which is significant).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

Pangaea feels a lot better. Altough my builder/farmer strat never works, the AI just wants to stomp on me so I always have to go Huns/Mongols because it is the cheapest/easiest way to deal with overaggressive AI. Just let me build and turtle in peace goddamnit! Also these huge plains are sweet in pangaea.

I play on peaceful AI when I just want to build. Although it's sort of funny how eventually everyone hates you but just can't declare war no matter how much they want to.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

I forgot the exact wording of the tooltip, but from the tooltip and explanation I expected that the secularism option would make my cities and holy sites stop exerting religious pressure (as opposed to, my population? So I expected them to keep their religion if they already had one?) so my religion would start mingling with other religions that exerted pressure on me. Kind of like how France going secular didn't flip them from 100% Catholic to 100% Protestant overnight on 9 December 1905. But instead everybody immediately converted to Harappan polytheism, from halfway across the globe, and all of my neighbors started demanding reparations because I oppressed people from their religion. That kind of catastrophic implosion doesn't seem to be working as intended.

Secularism should make you immune to all religious demands, so if that's what happened I think it's a bug.

State Atheism definitely does that though, because it effectively makes your state religion one which exactly 0 people in your empire follow. It slowly converts them to Atheism, but in the short-medium term everyone will hate you. Honestly I don't see the point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Always be at city cap. More cities is better than bigger cities. You do want to make sure each city has a few territories they can grab though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Early game it is very useful to attach more territories. The bump in food/production is substantial and you don't have a big city cap anyway. I think the important thing mid-to-late-game is whether your cities have enough space to spam the districts they need. Base tile yields are eventually outclassed by the raw power of urban sprawl.

One thing they've gotta change is how Independent Cities work. Right now its just a race to 100 Relations so you can buy them out, because there's no way to guarantee their independence like in Civ. I wanted a nice buffer between me and the Huns, so I settled a tribe there and maxed out our relations...then the Huns bought them out from under me. Ungrateful bastards. At least give me a chance to match their offer! :argh:

If the city cap is 2, then be at 2 cities. To be fair, the jump to 3 is a little costly, which can happen early if you choose City Councils.

In other news, I'm finding it funny how easy it is to bully people into alliances.

"Hey, want to be allies?"
"Nah."
"How dare you!"
"Okay, okay, we're allies, calm down!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Borsche69 posted:

That's ignoring the fact that there is no getting around the production node concept for 4x games - an empire with 2 cities can potentially build twice as many things per turn when compared to an empire with a single city, which is always going to be capped at 1 thing at a time.

Why does it have to be capped at one thing at a time? That's a totally arbitrary limitation that a new game could easily remove if they wanted to.