Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Clarste posted:

Always be at city cap. More cities is better than bigger cities. You do want to make sure each city has a few territories they can grab though.

I think you can go slightly over the cap without much issue, but I don't know the exact penalties - I didn't find them with a casual glance at the encyclopedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I like keeping each city to three territories, initial, and then two add ons. I've never started making them smaller though, is that actually worth it?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

victrix posted:

I think you can go slightly over the cap without much issue, but I don't know the exact penalties - I didn't find them with a casual glance at the encyclopedia.

There's only an influence penalty listed in the tooltip when you're over the cap. It's 10/turn for one, ~100 for two, ~300 for three. Never been more than three over cap but I assume it keeps scaling superlinearly.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

I have a different gripe, but I guess your answer works for that too.

I assume I am producing too much influence. Now I automatically get a million gripes towards all the empires in the game. gently caress. How do I unfuck this, conquer them all, and join the conquered cities to one big megalopolis?

The notification bar can't stretch wide enough. I have to scroll down a list of grievances with every civ. I can't cancell them all with one button, and they come back nearly instantly. :sigh:

You get 10 turns to decide what to do with each grievance--you can just X out of that dialogue and not choose now. That will probably keep them from popping up every turn, but they'll be around when you're ready to air them. If you turn a grievance into a demand, then you start building war support. If you renounce them or just let them time out then nothing happens.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I made a nice big religion that slowly took over my AI opponent, who then promptly became the head of my religion and chose my tenet because it's based on who has more holy sites and not faith generation or anything like that. And I can't build anymore arghh

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

victrix posted:

Small power bonuses matter. Grab those combat boosts from faith (or nations, obv) or special events.

To add to this, the event that adds the ferocious trait to your units for ten turns? Uh, Ferocious is +7 strength, which is.... not small. It's basically the "Win your next war" button, as near as I can tell.

Ihmemies posted:

I have a different gripe, but I guess your answer works for that too.

I assume I am producing too much influence. Now I automatically get a million gripes towards all the empires in the game. gently caress. How do I unfuck this, conquer them all, and join the conquered cities to one big megalopolis?

The notification bar can't stretch wide enough. I have to scroll down a list of grievances with every civ. I can't cancell them all with one button, and they come back nearly instantly. :sigh:

Don't cancel them. I'm not sure there's a benefit to cancelling them. If there is, someone let me know.

As the game stands, there's not really a penalty for having war support against someone and then not going to war with them---there is, however, a penalty for having a low war support. If you hover over your relationship status with another player, it'll show you a comparison of strength, and one of the things the game uses to determine this comparative strength is the strength of your war support.

Having a ton of available grievances is good, because if the AI makes a demand of you, you can just go to your big list of demands and pick whatever you feel like, and they won't gain any war support over time. Having so many grievances basically means "no matter what you do to piss off the AI, you have many more buttons you can press to quash their support."

At this point, if you don't want a war, then great! You probably won't get into one, because anyone who attacks you will be doing so from a position of weakness. And if you DO want a war, then also great, just trigger all your grievances and annex 90% of their country.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

victrix posted:

Couple kinda not-obvious things in combat I ran into - you can block reinforcements by moving onto their reinforcement spot (be careful not to block your own when you pull them in by attacking on the reinforcement space!).

Potentially you can actually block the initial deployment of enemy troops, if you manage to surround them against water/mountains with your armies.

When you move external armies into an existing war, the exact tile you move in does matter, it determines where you deploy the reinforcements, so pay attention if you're moving onto crappy terrain. It also matters if you're stacked up or not - you can't "add" more reinforcements to a single tile in a battle, so if you have straggling troops joining a big fight, take the time to stack them to your unit cap before joining, otherwise you'll 'use up' reinforcement tiles at the edge of the fight.

You can set the order you join reinforcements to the fight by dragging them on the reinforcements tab in the combat display (top right, second tab). This can matter in some situations if you're deploying a mix of melee/ranged/cav and need to get a specific attack off first, or if your available deployment area is limited and you can only get some of the reinforcements onto the field.

Another oddity - the 'angle' you attack from determines the 'angle' of the battlefield, ie, where nearby armies get pulled in from. I tried to attack an enemy from behind and wound up not pulling my nearby armies in because they were on the other side, which sucked. You can see a preview of this from various tiles by holding right click and dragging the army around to see how it will deploy (this also works for moving to different tiles to attack an enemy unit in combat, it'll adjust the preview as you drag).

You can cancel enemy ZoC by having a unit occupying one angle, allowing you to move past them - relevant because flank/rear attacks get a bonus (definitely rear, can't remember if flank does - I know nearby friends helps power).

Small power bonuses matter. Grab those combat boosts from faith (or nations, obv) or special events.

There's probably some more subtleties there, combat's pretty good!

Useful stuff, thanks!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

TjyvTompa posted:

Not true. The bug where the game freezes and hangs on "pending turn" can happen at any time. I've fired several nukes without issue but I've also had the "pending turn" issue before I even got to nukes. There is something else causing it. You can "solve" it by making a save after the turn has processed (you know when you receive notifications or see the turn counter drop 1 turn if your cities are building something) then going back to the main menu and load that save. The game will continue except I noticed that influence for minor cities or whatever they are called is not calculated so I bet the bug has something to do with that.

whatever you say, but there's a lot of people saying it's happening when they fire a nuke, and no matter which turn i fired the nuke on (before it was hanging the first time, well after the turn on which it hanged, whatever) the turn was forever pending. in my case, going back to the main menu and loading the save didn't work, the game wouldn't load past halfway and you had to load the turn before firing it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So doing some testing on Empire for a few turns, I can confirm that the food required per population to sustain them does go up, but it does so pretty slowly. Calculating off of the amount they eat without any positive bonuses:

3 pop: 8.3 food/turn
4: 8.5
5: 8.6
6: 8.66
7: 8.7

Which, I'll be damned, does actually make farmers not worth employing aside from slowing the descent into losing the pop. In fact, it's not until the industrial era that you can get improvements that make the farmers produce more than they consume. The best you can ask for is to either get some sort of perk to boost them to 9/turn or more.

That being said, exploitation is still only okay. I still disagree with 14+ food being common; it might be for the first couple of tiles, but after that unless you are spending half the game making giant circles of crops you're still going to be barely breaking even. Especially at the start, that's a handicap. So using farmers to stave off starvation and then using other things like harbors or improvements to build is good.

Also in terms of exploitation, looks like harbors are actually not a bad choice, since they can pull from two tiles away for exploitation, although you can only build one of them per area.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do wonders disappears if you detroy the outpost/city they're attached to?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Clarste posted:

Always be at city cap. More cities is better than bigger cities. You do want to make sure each city has a few territories they can grab though.

Early game it is very useful to attach more territories. The bump in food/production is substantial and you don't have a big city cap anyway. I think the important thing mid-to-late-game is whether your cities have enough space to spam the districts they need. Base tile yields are eventually outclassed by the raw power of urban sprawl.

One thing they've gotta change is how Independent Cities work. Right now its just a race to 100 Relations so you can buy them out, because there's no way to guarantee their independence like in Civ. I wanted a nice buffer between me and the Huns, so I settled a tribe there and maxed out our relations...then the Huns bought them out from under me. Ungrateful bastards. At least give me a chance to match their offer! :argh:

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
With all the districts and especially the emblematic districts, I am feeling a little overwhelmed about city planning. Reminds me of vanilla Civ 6 and Germany. I just can’t help but fixate on the perfect layouts with the most adjacencies I can find.

I know I can overwrite districts later or pillage my own to rebuild, but I still get bogged down trying to figure out the best octagon placement for unique districts and the generic ones that give adjacency bonuses. And that gets even more compounded by things like the Khmer Baray that are both Farmers Quarters and Makers Quarters.

So I feel paralyzed on like turn 21 thinking: If I place my Harappan Canal Network here for food, I can later place a Mayan K’Uh Nah here for industry, and then a Khmer Baray here to take care of both. But how do I link those together? How do I plan the adjacencies before I have the districts? What yields will I be missing out on? How do I build out efficiently to the places to maximize adjacencies? And then I haven’t actually played the game in a half hour and my head hurts.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just build loads of science districts around your Strats, money districts around your Luxuries, and food and industry districts around good tiles. Tile exploitation is nice in the early game, but adjacency bonuses eventually become overwhelming.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ccubed posted:

With all the districts and especially the emblematic districts, I am feeling a little overwhelmed about city planning. Reminds me of vanilla Civ 6 and Germany. I just can’t help but fixate on the perfect layouts with the most adjacencies I can find.

I know I can overwrite districts later or pillage my own to rebuild, but I still get bogged down trying to figure out the best octagon placement for unique districts and the generic ones that give adjacency bonuses. And that gets even more compounded by things like the Khmer Baray that are both Farmers Quarters and Makers Quarters.

So I feel paralyzed on like turn 21 thinking: If I place my Harappan Canal Network here for food, I can later place a Mayan K’Uh Nah here for industry, and then a Khmer Baray here to take care of both. But how do I link those together? How do I plan the adjacencies before I have the districts? What yields will I be missing out on? How do I build out efficiently to the places to maximize adjacencies? And then I haven’t actually played the game in a half hour and my head hurts.

I'm playing on the highest difficulty and I don't even bother with that much planning :shobon:

'game recommends a high yield district spot? looks good to me!' *slams tile*

I'll do some basic planning for high yield national districts or defensive structures, but otherwise just taking advantage of the terrain and stacking mods seems to work fine

One thing I haven't sussed out is if it's better to focus on infrastructure, districts, or a blend (not counting mandatory stuff like dealing with stability) - anyone know if/how district costs scale?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Vengarr posted:

Early game it is very useful to attach more territories. The bump in food/production is substantial and you don't have a big city cap anyway. I think the important thing mid-to-late-game is whether your cities have enough space to spam the districts they need. Base tile yields are eventually outclassed by the raw power of urban sprawl.

One thing they've gotta change is how Independent Cities work. Right now its just a race to 100 Relations so you can buy them out, because there's no way to guarantee their independence like in Civ. I wanted a nice buffer between me and the Huns, so I settled a tribe there and maxed out our relations...then the Huns bought them out from under me. Ungrateful bastards. At least give me a chance to match their offer! :argh:

If the city cap is 2, then be at 2 cities. To be fair, the jump to 3 is a little costly, which can happen early if you choose City Councils.

In other news, I'm finding it funny how easy it is to bully people into alliances.

"Hey, want to be allies?"
"Nah."
"How dare you!"
"Okay, okay, we're allies, calm down!"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

Also in terms of exploitation, looks like harbors are actually not a bad choice, since they can pull from two tiles away for exploitation, although you can only build one of them per area.

You can even buy them out with influence when the territory is still an outpost!

A cheeky way of doing this is looking for the recommended spot for harbors while the outpost is still attached to a city, detaching the outpost to buy the harbor with influence on the recommended spot, and then finally reattaching the outpost to the city.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Your Computer posted:

yeah, it's taking some getting used to for me because i always prefer building tall empires to wide empires. i just like hanging out in my little corner of the world doing trade and influence and stuff, winning with money and science rather than military might or amount of land. in humankind it doesn't really feel like tall empires are even a "thing" but at least it's a lot easier and more intuitive (at least to me) to expand in this game. i always hated having to drag settlers around the map in civ but in humankind you can both explore and settle with the same units, you can assimilate independent peoples are you can even demand other cultures to give you their territories if you're culturally dominant.

Tall vs Wide is such a weird false dichotomy. Empires that expand 'wide' can and should also be growing their cities 'tall'. Countries with a lot of land still have really big and developed cities. De-emphasizing expansion in a 4x game feels weird, and Civ5 in particular would swing wildly between REXing as hard as possible and capping all your cities at size 4, and settling only 4 cities for the whole game based on whatever patch was most recent because of how weird it is to try and balance both playstyles.

That's ignoring the fact that there is no getting around the production node concept for 4x games - an empire with 2 cities can potentially build twice as many things per turn when compared to an empire with a single city, which is always going to be capped at 1 thing at a time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Borsche69 posted:

That's ignoring the fact that there is no getting around the production node concept for 4x games - an empire with 2 cities can potentially build twice as many things per turn when compared to an empire with a single city, which is always going to be capped at 1 thing at a time.

Why does it have to be capped at one thing at a time? That's a totally arbitrary limitation that a new game could easily remove if they wanted to.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ccubed posted:

You really can not plan the adjacencies to that extent because you can never guarantee you are going to get a specific culture.

The nice thing about that is that it relieves you from some of that pressure to plan out your empire from Turn 1. Circumstances can change wildly, so best to be flexible.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Clarste posted:

Why does it have to be capped at one thing at a time? That's a totally arbitrary limitation that a new game could easily remove if they wanted to.

Even good old Medieval Total War had seperate unit and building queues.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

Even good old Medieval Total War had seperate unit and building queues.

You know bringing that up, that's a good point. Given units cost population, a separate queue for them wouldn't be that overpowered as you're sacrificing pop.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Eimi posted:

You know bringing that up, that's a good point. Given units cost population, a separate queue for them wouldn't be that overpowered as you're sacrificing pop.

Could make garrisons a separate build queue to give a reason to build them. Just extend the time it takes to train units unless you buy them out.

"You have six garrisons and can field an army in a single turn? Sure if you want to devastate your economy and population"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Depending on the amount of production or gold you have, a big city can pop multiple high veterancy units out in one turn fwiw.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Clarste posted:

If they do then multiple cities will get that same bonus and you'll get an exponential increase in production nodes instead of multiplicative. Unless you had some weird balance thing where an empire with X number of cities loses that abilitiy on every city after Y which is just really convoluted anyway. I guess you could also enact heavy production penalties on empires with X number of cities to make sure that the smaller empires can match production but that doesn't seem like good game design - its like how Civ5 would punish larger empires by making tech costs more or whatever it was. Not really fun.

MOO allows for multiple things to be produced from a single node per turn but this didn't stop you from expanding.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Danann posted:

Depending on the amount of production or gold you have, a big city can pop multiple high veterancy units out in one turn fwiw.

This is true too. Production overflow is huge and I've had multiple districts finish in a turn because of it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Has anyone tried to use the "Under One Banner" expansionist ability? When targeted at peaceful civs it says you need to be at war, but when I targeted it at someone I was at war with it said I needed to change diplomatic status..

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Has anyone tried to use the "Under One Banner" expansionist ability? When targeted at peaceful civs it says you need to be at war, but when I targeted it at someone I was at war with it said I needed to change diplomatic status..

I think it only works on unattached outposts? I dunno it seems of limited utility.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Yeah, you have to use it on Outposts/admin centers of civs you are at peace with. I'm not sure if you can do it if you have a non-aggression treaty, but I'd guess no.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Splash Attack posted:

honestly i’d like to see a civ type game go beyond the contemporary era and into true sci fi future eras. i’ve always hated how in civ when you hit the modern era, the game is essentially “well that’s it we had gandhi launching nukes but it’s impossible to imagine him in space or a cyborg”

The argument i keep hearing for decades against this is "people will be confused about what is what".

Also how the hell do AI civs always advance to the first age within 20 turns? How are they killing that many animals so quickly.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They can see through the Fog of War, and therefore see where the goody hoards are spawning.
Your tribes can do the same thing, if you enable auto-exploration.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

twistedmentat posted:

The argument i keep hearing for decades against this is "people will be confused about what is what".

Also how the hell do AI civs always advance to the first age within 20 turns? How are they killing that many animals so quickly.

You only need to finish 1 goal to advance. So the population or science is usually the fastest star to get. If you get 10 science you get a legacy trait which is pretty useful, so generally I try to aim for that and any star, and then if I'm super close to another I'll consider waiting unless I really want a specific culture.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

If you're expansionist you should be able to trespass freely and there are generic land units like guerillas that should be invisible on the strategic map and capable of sneaking up on admin centers.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Since Zhou is probably my favorite ancient civ, I am happy waiting since the AI doesn't really go for them. Harrpans are gone insanely fast though.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

i never go for the animal killing star unless i'm going for a low-pick civ like zhou. you don't NEED all three stars, its honestly a bit of a trap considering the piddling amount of fame a three star neolithic era gets you compared to how much fame you stack later in the game

put your first tribe on auto explore always, it will collect everything quickly. then once you've got your first star decide if you really want to grab harappans or mycenians, or if you'd rather just bumble around building up cheap pop. remember that all of the scouts you start with in the ancient era can be IMMEDIATELY converted back into city pop, giving your first city a huge head start. nothing starts a snowball like ending neolithic with a dozen scouts that get packed into your first city as soon as the districts are laid down to feed them

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you have a lot of food near you, it's worth it to spend a few extra turns spreading out to collect it all so you can generate a small horde of scouts. Take that horde to your nearest neighbor and conquer them right away. That accelerated my second campaign so much more quickly than my first.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you have a lot of food near you, it's worth it to spend a few extra turns spreading out to collect it all so you can generate a small horde of scouts. Take that horde to your nearest neighbor and conquer them right away. That accelerated my second campaign so much more quickly than my first.
yeah it's so rude but you can just absolutely stunt a culture if you end up as their neighbor, and it makes the game so much easier.

it's such a bully move but there is no penalty (and does not declare war) to just ransacking and replacing their new outposts with your own, so in one game i followed around my neighbor and took all his land before the game had even really started.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I won on the highest difficulty. Babylonians -> Achaemenid Persians -> Teutons -> Mughals -> Persians -> Turkey. They need to do something about Turkey's Public School, it is so good and you can use it to end the game whenever you want to. They may not have intended for it to add up the bonus from as many as six Research Quarters surrounding it. My science output grew exponentially until I finished the entire tech tree, and the game, on turn 139. A lot of cultures feel fun and powerful, like the Harappans and the Huns, but I think only Turkey is outright game-breaking.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Chamale posted:

A lot of cultures feel fun and powerful, like the Harappans and the Huns, but I think only Turkey is outright game-breaking.

They've openly stated they don't expect balance to be perfect, and they kinda want poo poo to be broken from patch to patch (in a fun way)

I'm really enjoying the mixing of nation powers over eras, it has a strong board game feel

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Chamale posted:

I won on the highest difficulty. Babylonians -> Achaemenid Persians -> Teutons -> Mughals -> Persians -> Turkey. They need to do something about Turkey's Public School, it is so good and you can use it to end the game whenever you want to. They may not have intended for it to add up the bonus from as many as six Research Quarters surrounding it. My science output grew exponentially until I finished the entire tech tree, and the game, on turn 139. A lot of cultures feel fun and powerful, like the Harappans and the Huns, but I think only Turkey is outright game-breaking.

I can hear this picture. A kind of vvvvvrrrrrrPING-!!

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The only thing people need to be careful with when spamming demands is territories. If you demand a territory, when you go to war it will be auto-ticked in the surrender list and it will still cost war score. This can make it harder to get vasselage from them and leave you with some land you maybe didn't really want.