Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Anno posted:

Looks like all the contemporary Civs have been data mined from this too.

USA
Australia
Brazil
China
Egypt
India
Japan
Sweden
Turkey
USSR

Turkey is an interesting choice, though they're having a sustained period of relevance for the last few years thanks to their military adventurism and Ottoman Revanchism so perhaps its more warranted than it has been in a while.

Egypt and Sweden are strange choices to me, since Egypt seems to be occupying the slot that "should" go to Iran or Saudi Arabia while Sweden could easily be replaced with a lot of other more geopolitically relevant European countries like the UK, France, or Germany. Still though, hardly a deal breaker and there is always space in future DLC for these things.

There was some speculation that the EU itself would be one of the civs but its seems like they're not going in that direction. I never had strong feelings on that one way or the other but know we know.

Overall kinda boilerplate aside from a few curveballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
been playing some of the Victor Open Dev and I don't know how else to put this but the UI feels sluggish

also is there a way to increase my scroll speed?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I have no idea what I'm doing but so far I've found out that horse archers are exactly as broken in game as they were in real life. I basically don't need to build any military units besides these Hunnic/Mongol hordes

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Was about to fully occupy an enemy civ but right before that could happen they somehow got vassalized by an unrelated third civ which freed all their cities and ended the war.

Wtf?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
tbh if I was gonna suggest any solution it would be that you can't be vassalized while you're in a war except through a peace treaty

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

China as Merchant? Shouldnt they be builder with their big infrastructure projects and huge industrial manufacturing sector? If anything the USA should be merchant due to the US being the seat of the global financial system.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1392147588602810368

But their video says their emblematic district's the archaeological dig…

The splash image before they show the unit and building is of a movie set

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I just wish they tried harder to find a more interesting name than "research institute" which is so generic that it could literally be the generic science building in the contemporary period and I wouldnt notice.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
does this one have a randomized map or is it like the last one where it was a premade one?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Soylent Pudding posted:

My first experience with a pollution system was Civ 3 where it added a bunch of pointless busywork and felt tedious and unfun. I like the environmental impact system of Civ 6 GS and how it plays with the natural disaster system though.

I really wish there was a slider to make the disasters in civ 6 way harsher because right now they feel so toothless compared to what will actually happen irl.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

HappyCamperGL posted:

There is a disaster intensity slider in civ 6. You can also turn on apocalypse mode.

Doesn't go high enough and apocalypse mode completely abandons the "climate change" conceit in favor of raining meteors from the sky.

Sea levels should go way higher, desertification should be more wide spread and storms should be both more intense and more frequent.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Thom12255 posted:

Like I think most reviews have been clear that they didn't make a Civ clone - just that it isn't as good as Civ right now.

to clarify, what i've been hearing from reviewers hasn't been that its not as good as Civ right now but that its exactly as good as a launch Civ before it gets its expansions

and put me in the camp of "didn't click with civ 6 but loved the Humankind opendevs"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ccubed posted:

So nukes don't mess around in this game. Spoiler here as Marbozir launches his first nukes on stream.

Ngl I'm glad to see a 4x game actually represent how destructive nukes are IRL

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Looking forward to engaging in nuclear brinksmanship in all my multiplayer games

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
is there a way to downgrade a city back to an outpost? I got a bunch of bullshit cities from one of the minor AI factions and I'd like to turn them into one megacity

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
This is the second night in a row ive sat down to play after work and it was time to go to bed when I next looked at the clock, so clearly its doing something right.

A game hasnt gotten its hooks into me like this since civ5 in college.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tom Tucker posted:

Playing on Nation got greedy and built a bunch of pyramids and made two three-territory cities I was making GBS threads out districts so fast my capital was near rebellion and then the Huns came and conquered one of my cities in one turn whoops! Should probably respect my opponents.

Also this super annoyed me:

"I can't wait to climb the many mountains here and map the stars!"
"No. Just this mountain."
"But the other three...?"
"NO."

Did I do something wrong? If not then adjacency only applying to a specific territory is not intuitive. I went Zhou just for this!

I believe that territory that holds the other mountains needs to be connected to the territory with the school in order for it to benefit from those adjacency bonuses.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So are there any civs that people think outright suck? So far there have been a lot of people talking about whats good but very little talking about which ones are almost never worth taking.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Back Hack posted:

Really don't like how you lose access to culture specific districts when you advance to a later stage culture. I also don't like how the prefab research that make cities start with all tier I &II logistic building doesn't worked retro-actively.

This is especially annoying when you take a city from an independent people in the new world and you have to build all the bullshit buildings.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Thom12255 posted:

loving Mongols ruined my endless game in 5 turns flat.

Something needs to be done about the huns and mongols. They are the only civs that get free units and the fact that those free units are by far the best in their era is just adding insult to injury. Ive had two games in a row now where I was next to the huns and they declared war and basically ended my game right there.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

KirbyKhan posted:

As someone who has played the Huns... Just build walls lol

Not only can they shoot over the walls but they can just siege for a turn or three to build some ballista and knock holes in the wall for their horses to pass through

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I've been enjoying the game a lot but I think I'm gonna hold off on continuing to play until most of these bugs are fixed

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
use the Ai name but have the civ they currently are be in parentheses behind it

one of the AIs is Beowulf so throughout the game he would be Beowulf (egyptians), Beowulf (huns) etc.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Hanging Gardens if you have a lot of one luxury, Pyramids if you dont. Pyramids might be slightly higher priority if you're Egyptians though since it dovetails extremely well with their bonuses.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
which civs are good in the early modern period? I've got the ancient, classical and medieval ones mostly figured out but compared to earlier choices the early modern ones seem very lackluster and its making it hard to understand which ones are worth gunning for

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Just started a new game on the beta patch and there are SIGNIFICANTLY more resources on the map, both strategic and luxury.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is a anyone else having problems with their civics not unlocking?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I dont even know why finishing the tech tree ends the game. You would think that the space race would fulfill largely the same role.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

yeah myceneans are extremely OP because of their perfectly effective makers quarters. oh and +15 stability as well, per district

you've just got to micro the hell out of the neolithic era and slam that choose civ button immediately

Just use auto explore lol

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah the second half of the game, starting with the early modern, seems much less refined than the first three eras

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

H13 posted:

Has anybody managed to get to Mars within the current time limit? At this stage it seems vaguely impossible. I guess if you bee-line all the science civs it might work, but that'll make your civ useless with really poo poo production so how would you manage to complete those tasks in time?

I find that it usually takes less time to just finish the tech tree than it does to complete the space victory

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I just want to experience the industrial and contemporary eras properly without them lasting a cumulative total of 20 turns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Vengarr posted:

There has never been a good Espionage system. But I thought ES2s was "okay". At least the AI could use it.

EU4 and both Crusader Kings have always had good espionage systems.