Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Here's someone explaining how the combat works. It can take place over multiple game turns, with three battle turns happening per game turn.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/21/humankind-makes-multiculturalism-its-killer-feature-gamescom-2019

quote:

Each turn of the campaign allows you to engage in three rounds of combat. Battles can span over numerous turns, and thanks to being fought on the campaign map itself rather than in a separate mode akin to the Total War games, it means you can reinforce your army simply by moving other units into the battle tile. This system brings a taste of grand strategy to Humankind, and further defines its identity as a game that’s not just Civilization from a different developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

This sounds like a very boring combat system that will instantly get bogged down by the AI making 40 single unit "armies" and the player being forced to spend multiple turns dealing with each one. Kind of like total war, but worse.

You would probably just kill that one unit army in one turn. They aren't going to force battle to take 9 turns.

Also, they will likely have an auto resolve button that you can use for one-side fights. That's what they did in Endless Legend, which has a similar overall system to what is being described for Humankind.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Panzeh posted:

Nah, fantasy/sci-fi is a lame copout to go for novelty over actual game design.

Yep. Give me a good game. Restriction breeds creativity.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I don't think any 4x game has gotten military right, and it's for good reason. War is a difficult thing to implement unless you are making a purely war focused game.

When one is playing an empire builder, we may not want to concentrate on the minutiae of whether or not we need a spearman because our enemy has horses, but it seems unavoidable if we want to have military in the game at all. The alternative would make military just another bucket that you dump production into, and reduce it to nothing but a number.

We can certainly make the case that production equals military strength, but there is so much more to it. Alexander and Napoleon certainly had the means to make weapons and get men to the front, but battlefields were chosen based on the most innocuous of terrain, and by what the opposing army was equipped with.

My point is that many empires were created based solely on attention to military detail, and we need that aspect in 4x games. The problem is that it's seemingly impossible to do correctly because players either want to concentrate on military or infrastructure. When I'm building I don't want to choose which helmet my men will wear, and when I'm leading a campaign I don't want to break my concentration to build a grain silo back at home. I think we need to accept that military will always be a nuisance in 4x games until some genius comes up with another way.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Another thing I read: It's first come first serve when it comes to picking your culture in each age. No duplicates. So you won't be able to "solve" the best combination and pick it every game unless you are also the fist to advance in each age. That's probably also why they have a neolithic age: won't be able to choose the same starting culture every game unless you settle first.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm not sure if i like this, it makes technology even more important so you can get first pick

I don't think technology decides how you advance ages. I think fame does that.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I only have two concerns so far. They are both pretty small though.

The first is the way your nation changes cultures throughout the game. I think it will be great for any individual game, but I have my doubts how it will hold up as a set of iterative games. Sometimes I choose a faction in Civ or EL because I feel like playing the science aspect of the game, or trade, or war. The way Humankind is set up seems like one won't really be able to do that. Maybe the game is so much fun in ways I can't anticipate that I won't miss choosing a faction to experience a specific part of the game.

Fintilgin posted:

Psyched for this game, but I wonder how this will work with getting a feeling for other civilizations around you.

Like, in Civ, the Blue Player to my west is India, led by Ghandi, and I kinda know they'll be puttering around with culture and fairly peaceful. The Green Player to my east are the Aztecs, led by Montazuma, and I know I should probably reinforce that border.

In this game the Blue Player is the uh... Egypto-Roman-Incan-Franco-Chinese, and the Green Player is the Babylonian-Celtic-Arab-Korean-Germans. :confused:

I wonder if there will be some sort of Great Leader figure to give different countries some form of personality/predictablity/prefered cultures to grab? Like, if Etruscan Caesar is next door, you know he's going to be aggressive across the course of the game and that he's going to try to grab the Romans next era, and the Byzantines and Italians later, so if you want those cultures you better beat him to the next era?

This is my other concern. Who am I fighting against, exactly? Am I going to have a game long competitoin against Blue? When Blue changes its culture am I still enemies with Blue, or do I recognize that Blue likes painting more than raping now?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cythereal posted:

Maybe. The risk of trying to avoid a boring endgame is that they might make the endgame come shockingly early.

I'm not sure if we are on the same page here. Do you think that hitting a certain fame rating wins the game? Because I'm seeing that you must play out all eras, and then the winner is tallied up.

That brings its own problems though. Going to need a lot of balancing to keep the game fun through all ages in every playthrough. Good news is that this is not Firaxis so the developers will actually try to balance upon customer request.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I didn't like the trailer because we didn't really see anything new.

And the narrator was stupid.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I have to say that this roll-out of information is stupid. We have no idea how anything works so every new culture is meaningless.

What does the Zhou add to the game? A zhanche and a Confucian school. What do those do? I don't know. I don't know how units work, and I don't know how buildings work.

They are clearly behind schedule, which is fine. Just hold back a month or so on the announcements, and actually release the information in a form that can actually pass as information.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I started playing a bit of Endless Legend again and i cannot wait to see them demonstrate combat with non-fantasy units.

I know not everyone's that hot on EL combat but I'm proper well excited for that.

I really like EL combat at the beginning of the game, but it fades when the number of units gets insane. It doesn't scale well.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cythereal posted:

What killed EL's combat for me was the design-your-own-units-from-templates thing.

I really, really hate that kind of thing, which plagues sci-fi 4Xes in particular. I don't want to design my own units or customize them to ridiculous levels. I want a premade list of units that each have a role and place in the game.

Yeah, I agree with that. It's what usually what stops me from playing any space 4X game.

What makes this kind of thing even worse than having to take the time to design your own units is that you can never learn your opponents units. You can't simply look at a chariot and know that it moves 5 places, and does 10 damage from memory. Instead you must inspect each individual unit your opponent is fielding, and it takes forever.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 13, 2020

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cythereal posted:

This sounds like something that cannot possibly be balanced, at all.

It won't be. The optimal path of cultures to take will be solved pretty quickly, I think.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The region system in EL never bothered me much. It's a decent answer to many AI problems.

And it allows for armies in the field instead of 100% of battles being sieges.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

If I wanted to try one of their games, would people recommend Space or Legends as a better jumping in point?

I'd say Legends. The opponents hit you in the face a bit faster and force you to learn the mechanics a bit. Space let's you dick around for so long before anything matters that you can't be sure if you're playing the game correctly or not.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Davincie posted:

all these contextless civs do nothing for me

Me too. I'm kind of burnt out on this game already. I'd rather they not release any kind of teasers than this. I'm losing trust in it now.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

That is always a problem in game design. If you give the player too many choices, it makes each individual choice less impactful. I could easily see human kind falling into the trap of cultures just being a set of modifiers. Carthage give +5% to Navy's, whereas Phoenicians gives +5% to Army's. Meanwhile, England gives +20% to navy's and Germany give +20% to Industry!

By the time you hit the modern era all your cultures are just a list of insignificant modifier's while you are battling with Giant Death Robots that benefit from nothing.

That's the path I see this taking. It's either going to be a bunch of tiny changes that eventually make all civilizations the same by mid game, or they will each have unique abilities. In the case of the later, I'm not looking forward to memorizing or looking up which 9 unique abilities the Germans currently have for just this one game.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Edit: sorry i misread the above post. Yeah, if they give each civ several unique abilities i will not be best pleased. Remembering all those in Endless Legend was a pain in the rear end.

The situation I'm describing above is a bit different than that. I chose the Germans because they are probably a late game civ, and by the time you've seen them, their abilities probably consist of the 7-8 civs that player has chosen before them.

So even each civ only getting one ability is an issue because of the nature of each civ being composed of multiple civs through time.

Now imagine 8 players in the 8th era. That's 64 abilities floating around. No way I'm going to be able to remember which 1 of those opponents has which 8 abilities.

That's the advantage that Civilization or Amplitudes own Endless games have over this. If you like the game you start to memorize it and you can have a pretty good idea of what the Zulu or Sophons are capable of when you see them. But with this new system, it appears your in for some studying in every era for every opponent.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I just tried Through the Ages. I think I might like it if I put the work into it, but I'm having a lot of trouble understanding it. I think it's the kind of game I'd understand immediately if I played it in board game form, but as a digital game, it confuses me.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Call it the Colonization Era. That's what it was, and it did affect the entire globe.

But, that's what they were trying to avoid though, by copping out and calling it the Early Modern Era. That's what everybody is trying to do by calling the it the Early Modern Era.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 13, 2020

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

(i've decided I hate William Dyce, he looks like he's been on a body-language-for-managers course)

He looks like he's auditioning for the part of the sexy betrayer, who convinces a college girl to hide drugs in her backpack for her trip to Malaysia.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Super Jay Mann posted:

Why are they so hesitant on giving us any useful information on how the game actually plays?

Even if it was just one sentence saying "it's literally Endless Legend but irl" that still provides more clarity than what we've seen so far.

I have a feeling that it's because they know it's a convoluted mess.

So just like EndlessLegend but irl.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

They're usually a really good company at communicating. It's clear that they are way behind on this game, and I don't know what force it is that is preventing them from just telling us that.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Anno posted:

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1271871255038263299

Also, to probably no ones surprise, a delay until 2021.

Looks like Civilization VII just got permission to be poo poo again.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

kloa posted:

Has anyone played Old World? I've been jonesing for some 4X game to play lately that isn't Civ 6 or ES2, and this isn't coming out for a bit :saddowns:

It's pretty good mechanically, and would probably be an excellent game except for the event system injected into it that completely ruins all of the other well thought out mechanics. Every turn you will have to answer multiple questions about what book your granddaughter should read, and you don't even remember that you had a granddaughter.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Krazyface posted:

IGN's short gameplay demo went up a day early:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azcnslbGBYc

There's some new stuff in it. We get a good look at a bunch of the dilemmas, and how they feed into the civics system. There's a bunch of ~~SLIDERS~~ that reflect your national ideals and customs. We see a little of how the culture-choosing system actually looks and feels, and a look at the natural wonders.

Oh, look. Events.

I didn't want to play to the map and mechanics of the game anyway. I want random popups where I have to pick one of three prechosen options.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Flavius Aetass posted:

I think those events were mostly in relation to founding your first civilization and your first city. Could be wrong but my impression isn't that every turn is full of pop-up events.

The video also shows popups for choosing how to react to a new board game sweeping the nation, and how much your people should like music. You're probably not going to get popups every turn, but you will be forced to stop planning for war or building your empire to decide how a hot new board game will affect your empire.

Exciting.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

4X events are a scourge and need to be eliminated. They are the 4x equivalent of morality systems or exposition through audio diaries.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cythereal posted:

As long as they don't have a unit designer I can live with that.

Same. EL had a pretty good (but opaque) combat system. I just don't want to design each unit's helmet.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

All I see is the :thunk: when I see these ads anymore. A constant stream of :thunk:s every week forever.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Has there ever been anything good at the end of countdown?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I think the game is good, but also kind of boring.

The good is that I like the information. I can find almost everything I need relatively easily. This would probably change as I got better at the game and needed more exact information, but for the state the game is in and how long I've played it, I'd say that the UI is good.

I also liked how influencing other civs worked. I didn't put a lot of points into influence, so other civs were influencing me to change my culture to be closer to theirs. Similar things happened with science. When too many of my neighbors had a tech I didn't have, then I would be able to purchase that science at a low rate. Religion was a bit confusing to me, but I like the mechanic I see so far where civs can compete to control a religion and only the leader can assign the tenets. So pretty good mechanics. I'm happy with them.

Changing civilizations during the game is bad. Being able to change your advantage makes every game the same. Instead of having to play the game in some sly way to fit my advantage, I can now just adjust to whatever is happening in the game. The result is that you can go with the flow so well that every game will play out similar to the last. I found choosing my opening culture to be mostly irrelevant because it required no commitment.

Because of the civilization changing, I think the game will hit a ceiling pretty quickly with me. I'll probably play the game every once in a while because it's a good game, but I'm not going to get excited about exploiting certain aspects of the mechanics or getting to learn the game really well because the best way to win the game is just play boring.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 18, 2020

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I didn't even get to the last era. Is there a "new world" mechanic?

I agree with pretty much everything you said here. Some of your criticisms can eventually be fixed because they are math and AI based, but some of the others will persist no matter how the formulas change.

The changing of civilizations sucks hard, and unfortunately the game is designed around it. I found the entire experience to be nebulous and unmemorable. Like you, I identified opponents by color, but never really found them to have any form. I just knew that my color should be more prominent than any other color. I couldn't even learn the other color's abilities because those abilities would just loving change.

I think this game maxes out at a C grade.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Contemporary culture
Emblematic unit : soldier
Emblematic building : house

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 2, 2021

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

This is going to sound stupid but am I just missing a button to turn on a minimap in the corner of the screen or something? really enjoying the game but it would be nice to have a better sense of where I am whenever it's time to go to give orders to a new unit without having to zoom out and back in.

I don't think any of the Amplitude games had minimaps, so there probably isn't one.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Allowing the player to change cultures mid game is what makes this game so boring. You never have to adjust your strategy. If you fall into a mistake, all you have to do is choose a culture that turns that mistake into an advantage. If you gain an advantage, you never have to risk losing it. You never have to suffer when your horselords have to cross an ocean to expand your empire. You just tell your horselords that they are all boat people now, they instantly become experienced seamen, and you still have all of the steppes you conquered in past turns.

The game will never be good because of this.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Which is why the game will never be good. Bad foundation. Bad bones.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Lady Radia posted:

you're wrong, it's one of the best and most fun features and isn't this hugely limiting feature you're characterizing it as.

It's not limiting. The problem is that it's unlimiting. If it were limiting then it would be fun. Humankind has no rules constraining you to the game, which makes the game samey and generic. No amount of other well planned mechanics can change the fact that the main mechanic allows you to step outside the game and circumvent all other mechanics.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve not really kept up with this game since it was originally announced. That said, I do love Civilization 6, and think the Endless games are all quite good. How does this hold up as a game inbetween those franchises?

It's fun in that it is essentially an endless game. The problem is that every game of Humankind is exactly the same as the last game of Humankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm wondering if part of why every game feels the same is that the choice of cultures means I always play the game the same way and I just change the order of my culture picks to keep the same strategy and play style working instead of adapting to the culture I chose to play.

Yes, that is the problem. It's not going to go away though. Part of the reason you will probably never choose a culture that you want to play is because it won't be fun if you in a current position that would disadvantage you by choosing that culture. And even if you did choose a culture that would disadvantage you because you want to play as them, you'd still just have to make the same decision again in the next era.

So you can't even choose a culture you want to play as with the idea of toughing it out and making some epic comeback because you're only going to be that culture for one era and then any work you did to adapt your empire to that culture will be mostly muted by choosing a new culture in the next era. I guess you could choose not to change cultures in the new era, but that's a losing strategy.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 15, 2022