Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ah gently caress I know I'm going to buy this eventually, may as well do it now rather than log 3 hours of watching twitch for the free versioin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Is there a good wiki or a guide somewhere? I know it's early days but like how do I get more stars (influence)? Why are my neighbours getting control of the territories before I am? I have played Endless Legend/Space so I know what I need I guess, I just don't really know how to get it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'm feeling very called out when the AI doesn't like me because I have the attributes cruel and vindictive

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Also, I seem to have forgotten how to build wonders? I got an alert even, "a wonder can be claimed", but I cannot for the life of me remember where the UI for claiming them is.

There's a button on the screen that lists your cities and outposts that shows the unclaimed wonders. You claim a wonder with influence and then it will show up as a shared project to build.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I left the difficulty at the default level for my second playthrough and I should have gone up a tick. The AI seems happy with 2 or maybe 3 medium-small cities and a bunch of territories. Then the small armies like the poster above said. I'll be interested to see where the pressure comes from at the higher levels, I think it will be the influence stars--all the territories will get gobbled up and I'll lose the early expansion opportunity.

I can never figure out what territories I'm demanding in the crisis screen, are their names on the map somewhere? Also, how can I generate grievances? I was able to grab a bunch of land early and when my neighbours finally took the leftovers I could make demands and then get the war support fired up. Is there any way I can initiate it or is that in a later tech?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

That was pretty fun and Firaxis are going to have to make some big loving changes to stay relevant, especially once updates, expansions and mods start coming out for this.

This was probably already said after the first OpenDev, but the terrain and the battles are so much more interesting than in Civ. I also like the war support mechanic in the build up although I wish there was a way to just wind them up directly like just demanding gold or calling them backwards inbred or something like that. It felt like I was always waiting for them to claim a territory or found a religion so I could get a grievance against them, I just want to make poo poo up. I also wish there was a way to end the war before war support equals zero, just a payoff basically any option at all. I was winning wars 100-5 and the only option to end it was for me to surrender if I just wanted to end it then. Somebody got vassalized out from underneath me too which was really surprising since I had been at war with them for longer so that's another reason you should be able to get something even if their war support isn't zero, you can get something rather than nothing and the punching bag gets one last chance to fight just one enemy instead of all of them. Gives an incentive to settle these big wars faster if you don't want to end up with nothing too.

The only complaint I have is the same with most games in this genre. It seems like if you want a challenging mid or late game, you have to survive a really tough early game. It's either game over for everyone but me after the middle ages or I get boxed in or quadruple teamed in the classical era. I suppose there are more ways to play this than Civ, so the variety could keep it fun for a bit longer but I felt myself already drawn to a couple of cultures in the first 2 era for their bonuses and I can see it being difficult to change to something suboptimal in the future.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The only time I found it distracting was with the other players. I got used to Babylon being brown, Maya being black, Hittites being magenta, etc. But now Egypt and Persia are declaring war on me wtf? Oh right, brown and pink. And since the leaders are just random names it's hard to remember who's who. Maybe having the leader's picture next to the crest would make it easier.

Overall I didn't mind it with my own civ at all. In fact, I liked having a unique unit and district for each age plus the stacking culture bonuses. There's a lot of flexibility about how you're going to exploit your environment and your neighbours that I think will keep it interesting. You have to look around a bit first before you can even choose your first culture so you shouldn't have a situation like in civ where you choose someone with great cavalry units but there are no horses.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

All of the Endless stuff is on sale in Steam this weekend! I haven't played Endless Legend in a long time because I didn't have any of the DLC and I remember having gotten a bit bored with the basic classes--now they're 77% off so I can get a little bit of the Humankind colonization and battle feeling and I don't have to go back to Civ.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Buller posted:

EU:

Party civilisation

Emblatic building: Discotheque.

-20% production in the summer but the emblematic building music festival appears and adds +1 influence per population per turn

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Really cool of them to do this during the week of 9000 international football matches and also without addressing the wtf is the name of this territory issue

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Anyone else see the bug where when you load up the game again, it's showing a previous version of your avatar and then it appears in yesterday's saved game as well? I swear my game has also changed the avatars I picked for my opponents, I think also after loading a save the next day. Aanother thing that makes it really difficult to remember who you hate and why!

I also really prefer the way war and expansion is handled in this as opposed to Civ. I feel like camping on your opponent's reinforcement tile is pretty cheap but I guess I'm cheap. My opponent got me back for that by initiating battles and then hiding back in a mountainous river delta zone and tying up 3 of my armies for several turns at a time while I tried to find him. I had to move armies away from the city because they kept getting sucked in as reinforcements and I couldn't move them to the other city where an attack was happening.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

My current game of all 10 civs has me as the Harappans finishing the era first and I can't decide on who to pick next. Celts to continue the food growth? Mayans to turn this early pop growth into industry? Or Persians to take advantage of the city cap to further expand? I have no strat resources at all anywhere near me, so I'm thinking of playing this game peacefully, and am trying not to science rush (did Zhou start last game).

Persians are fun because you can trespass at will so you can spy everyone else's territory. They're pretty good IMO if you want a big empire.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Eimi posted:

Is there any way to claim a city? Before or after a war has started? A neighbor declared war on me and I don't see any option in the diplo screen. I'd love to actually get something out of this stupid war.

You can simply claim territories on the surrender screen but you have to be actually occupying a city at the end of the war to get that option. It makes taking cities a much more involved process, for me at least, cos I can never tell what my war score will be when theirs gets to zero. I think empire size plays a role in the final point tally? No idea why sometimes I have 138 points and others I have 217.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

I think you are only supposed to take either of these if you don't have your own religion? Because if you have a religion both of these are super bad, unless I misunderstood something.

This seems right, I nuked my religion once with this and then I decided to actually read all of the text on the screen and not just the pop ups. It's not always clear even then though

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

I have a different gripe, but I guess your answer works for that too.

I assume I am producing too much influence. Now I automatically get a million gripes towards all the empires in the game. gently caress. How do I unfuck this, conquer them all, and join the conquered cities to one big megalopolis?

The notification bar can't stretch wide enough. I have to scroll down a list of grievances with every civ. I can't cancell them all with one button, and they come back nearly instantly. :sigh:

You get 10 turns to decide what to do with each grievance--you can just X out of that dialogue and not choose now. That will probably keep them from popping up every turn, but they'll be around when you're ready to air them. If you turn a grievance into a demand, then you start building war support. If you renounce them or just let them time out then nothing happens.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The only thing people need to be careful with when spamming demands is territories. If you demand a territory, when you go to war it will be auto-ticked in the surrender list and it will still cost war score. This can make it harder to get vasselage from them and leave you with some land you maybe didn't really want.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I gotta say the Noresemen are a great pick if you're going for that New World continent. Their special unit is really OP for that time period, your land units can now enter ocean tiles and they've got better attack than the strictly neval units of that era. Someone else is closer to the new world than I am and already got a city set up, all I have to do is take it away and then pick them off as they sail across the water, it's like ripping through wet Kleenex. This also keeps them busy while I claim the rest of the continent for my glorious Haudenosaunee empire, which gives my gunner units stealth on top of being able to move and shoot in the same turn plus their unique building is a massive food bomb that will help my cities catch up after centuries of warfare.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Eimi posted:

I am starting to loathe the simultaneous turns. It feels like a horrid micro/attention tax frustratingly biased in favor of the AI. I've been in many situations where I could've run away...if I had the micro of a god and could click on and move my unit. It doesn't really feel like it fits in a 4x game.

In conflict situations I try to assign the moves for the next turn and then keep the mouse in the corner after clicking "end turn", the "complete unit moves" will always be the first icon in the circle and it's clickable even if there's some other notification that pops up.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Megazver posted:

I swear that War Support numbers go down if you reload the turn that the enemy offers you a Surrender. I just finished beating up Babylon and the Surrender they offered was enough to take the two regions that they had, so I took everything... but then the game froze and I had to reload the same turn and now I don't have enough to take both.

This is kinda bullshit, tbh.

This happened to me once too. Vasselized my neighbour, game crashed between turns, on restart I had 100 lower war score and couldn't get anything good. I even tried reloading earlier anutosaves and could never get the score up high enough again (until the next war).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

How do you "win a battle on Imperialist Empire" or "win a battle on Relations"? Does "on" mean "against" or "as"?

from https://humankind.fandom.com/wiki/Civic (btw is this the best resource for the game atm?)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Chamale posted:

The grammar this game uses to describe bonuses is really weird and unintuitive. "On" means completely different things depending on context. These two civics are actually:

"Anti-Imperialists: +20 war support when winning a battle against an empire with the Imperialist civic"
"Imperialist: +10 war support when winning a battle against any empire."

Is there any way to know who's chosen the Imperialist civic though? This card seems to be the only hit for that word on the wiki so I can check my opponents' biases maybe and guess if they've gotten it and what they picked? The choice seems to be: be an imperialist to get +10 war support against everybody (but they could get +20 against you) or be an anti-imperialist and possibly get +20 against somebody but nobody gets extra bonuses against you. It's an interesting choice to make right before the new world gets carved up.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Your Computer posted:

the gold penalties also seem hilariously low - like if you pick this option you will lose fifty gold

meanwhile i'm at +5000 per turn

Good thing you had that gold or your cities would have lost 10 production for 10 turns!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Eimi posted:

I ran into some bugs as well, I went Siam and Carthage because I had a ton of coast, but I ran into a bug where despite having coast lowlands next to coastal waters, and the ability to build their districts lit up, I couldn't place it. It wouldn't highlight any valid tile despite saying I could build the drat thing. Very annoying.

I think the locations may not be visible when zoomed out into the grey zone? I noticed a similar problem with Siam and never really figured it out. Later, with the Statue of Liberty, I was getting the same error about the terrain and had to zoom in to the colour level to see the little preview and be able to build it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Beta_1.2.132 came out four days ago but I haven't seen it mentioned here: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/forums/215-bug-reports/threads/44221-humankind-patch-beta-1-0-2-132

It includes the following:

:siren::siren: Fixed an issue where the third Empire (also known as the infamous Magenta empire 3) seems to have vision on other Empires and Independent Peoples when it should not. :siren::siren:

As well as: Fixed an issue where the initial War Desire isn't added in the War Score calculation when the save has been loaded during the war, which was an issue a couple of us reported in here so that's good.

This plus the resources fix from the first beta looks pretty good!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

incuus posted:

I’m sure there were some other factors at play but I tried reloading a save 5 turns back and razing a bunch of outposts before they surrendered and I somehow ended up with even less war points.

This is a bug that is fixed in the beta I posted earlier. When you load a save it wasn't keeping your starting war score or something like that.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Goodpancakes posted:

How do you solve stability and still district spam before Commons quarters?

I've also slammed them late in big groups to push back civic influence

Zhao or Roman unique buildings help early on

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I've noticed my opponent's avatars change when I load saved games so who knows what the gently caress their personality is like now

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's good enough now that I'll probably never play civ 6 again and civ 7 will have to really change some poo poo for me to even think about it and I've played thousands of hours of civ.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Man when are they going to fix the bug where the civics don't unlock on huge maps?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

You're not playing worse than the AI until you build 4 commons quarters for each other quarter you build.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

LLSix posted:

The Lunar Festival Event is underwhelming. Much like the bonuses for the Ming culture it wants me to play :( I haven't taken a food boosting culture yet and feel like I really need to take the Haudenosaunee.

If you play with the New World option in the map settings, the Norsemen are so loving good and their unique building is a food bomb on the coast. Early ocean faring troop transports that can mop the floor with previous era's naval units, plus food bombs that also give gold bonuses to ransacking and extra fame for militarist stars means the Medieval era is huge for me.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Baron Porkface posted:

How is that possible? the game makes me choose a new civ when I get enough stars.

It makes you check the civs, and it reminds you every 10 turns, but you can just X out of that until you pick up all the stars you think you can before someone nabs the next era civ you want. You get bonus fame for getting builder stars if you're a builder civ (similar for other civ types too). That's how you rack up the fame points.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

That is a nice QOL upgrade, it says it in all the dialogues like who bought something from you or forgave a grievance or whatever. Now I just wish I could give my own names to the AI personas I downloaded. It also seems to be more stable, I used to have these looooooong pauses where it just wouldn't respond and task manager showed no activity. I'm only up to turn 120 now but there haven't been as many of those moments so far.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Some of the Latin American DLC cultures have really fun emblematic districts. I stick to the tried and true through most of the early game but the Argentinians in the Industrial Era got my attention because their building produces salted beef, each of which gets you -2% on army upkeep. Extremely fun if you have 40+ territories.

I'm having to work hard to keep my fame up in the higher difficulties so I got beat to the Turks in the Contemporary Era. I've been using the double points for Aesthete stars civic and the Cubans are an Aesthete culture but their special building is a pharmaceutical plant so now I'm building pill mills that each give +1 to every worker, trader and researcher, it's incredible. I'm just getting started but you can see the description and the effect here:

They also give +1 food when you reach overpopulation. Not sure exactly what Settled city means, but the pills work on the ones I built myself and the city-states I conquered early game plus the one I just assimilated 10 turns ago. My people are gonna be so jacked on these fuckin pills lmao

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Also the Cubans get +1 combat strength per alliance, +10% influence per alliance and their emblematic unit is a guerilla that has stealth and gives a stability penalty when in a hostile city's territory. I've got seven allies at the moment and just got a foothold on the enemy continent so poo poo's about to get real bad for the guy who isn't my ally. Pill power!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Veryslightlymad posted:

Ugh. They'll be harder to get though, since you will be spending resources on another system..

I just want the influence stars to be discounted. I don't know if I every got 3 in anything but the final era.

Mind the city cap! Getting the aesthete stars with the 100% fame bonus is a big part of how I keep up at the higher difficulty levels.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Yeah there's never really a lot to do in the contemporary era in either game, but it does seem a little more empty in Humankind. Science is super snowballing by that point, space race production is pretty trivial and the fame points are basically wrapped up too.

Maybe you have to make a lone city somewhere to get aluminium or uranium but those are easy to claim in the previous era anyway. There's not much else to do except start pointless wars just out of spite or because you want to roll some tanks in your last 10 turns. Hopefully the new spies and UN system will add something, but the science rush is still going to be the easy win unless they nerf it hard and then the end game will just be a longer slog.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Humankind is free to play on Steam this weekend if anyone reading this thread still hasn't tried it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

If I genuinely enjoy the Endless games, and Civ V and Civ VI, is this game a solid pick? I've been eyeballing it for a while.

It's fun, get it for the weekend especially if it's on sale somewhere. The start of the game is a lot better than Civ: you can't found a city on your first turn, you have to explore a little bit and get some influence and then find the right spot. Combat is more fun: the terrain actually means something instead of +25% defense, there are cliffs and canyons and actual bottlenecks to manage. It looks so much nicer than Civ too. On the whole, it's not hugely different (especially the end--you should be snowballing hard in the late eras), but it does have some nice tweaks to the formula and I haven't wanted to play Civ again in a long time. This is just about the standard version though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ragnar34 posted:

Having played exactly one game of this, so far I like the jumping between cultures. A civ in a given game is a product of its history in the form of accumulated mechanical bonuses, territory, diplo relationships, and resources, and this is piloted by an NPC with a set of tendencies and goals. This is already how I view everybody in Civilization 5 and 6 after a couple thousand hours of play, except I have nothing but hate in my heart for the Civ civs. Humankind NPCs will be interchangeable in a few games but for now I just like the unpredictability.

Man, I really stalled out in the industrial era and I never found a way to leave second place in the contemporary. In hindsight I forgot that I could spend pop to make units and farm agrarian stars until it was too late, but then I would have had to use those units for something, and late game war looks like a pain in the rear end. This is a euro style board game through and through, and I'm definitely in the stage where I'm building basic system familiarity. It feels good!

I still have no idea what to do with influence after a certain point. To gain enough to gain points out of it, you have to have more than I could figure out how to spend.

Territories and cities are the most important influence uses, then civics. Some of them are quite useful: -50% create outpost cost is a big help early on, +1 City Cap is good then too when being 2 over the cap really hurts, +1 combat strength is pretty much a must have in harder difficulties, religious hostility is an easy way to make some demands/start a war, +100% Fame points for cultural stars is another help on harder difficulties, etc. You also need influence to declare war, make demands or do other diplomatic actions.