Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was on the fence about this game until I saw that you could vassalize your enemies after a war; that's a feature I loved from Civ 4 BtS and I've been missing it in every game since. I always thought that war in these games was so boring since total victory meant you just erased a player from the board, turning them into a subject while keeping them in play was always much more interesting to me. I haven't looked too deeply into how all the casus belli/war weariness stuff works, but I really like the idea of that, as well, injecting a little more diplomacy and political strategy into the decision/resources to declare a war sounds good to me too, at least on paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

There's definitively a large jump in bonuses for AI going from Nation to Empire; I've been able to dominate pretty easily on Nation but in Empire I keep getting overrun by AI that by all rights would have needed to start making units on Turn 1.

Fair warning, you *can*, but only if they are basically already defeated. To vassalize someone you need the kind of warscore that you rarely get before they surrender unless you really blitz your way across.

Honestly that's fine, I don't mind warring an enemy into submission, I just like having the option to keep them in play afterward instead of just taking all their stuff and never seeing them again. You can sort of achieve the same result in civ I guess by just leaving them with one backwater city but I like the idea of formally subjugating them instead, flavorwise.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Does anyone have any recommendation for a good beginner's guide for this game? I tried googling but it's all SEO garbage that's probably not very useful.

I don't really have specific questions, I'm just kind of overwhelmed by all the choices you have to make and could use a guide that lays out some helpful rules of thumb to keep in mind

also i really wish there was a "randomize avatar" button and that I could use it for AI leaders, i don't really like that there's only a handful of stock personalities for every game

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

thanks for the tips all--it's a good start, I'll jump back in and give it a go!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm still pretty new to this game but it seems very different from civ in that regard, yeah. AFAICT, districts are your bread and butter "make city better" projects, with the catch that they cost stability to build. So if your city is stable enough, you should be building new districts, unless you already have enough district output that an infratructure's multiplier will give a substantial bonus to it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just played a game where every civ apparently spawned in a territory adjacent to each other, including me (that's where they chose to build their capitals, anyway). absolute chaos. I settled in a corner like a dumbass and got immediately boxed in

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hope eventually there’s a mod or patch that lets you go full chaos mode and play with a group of randomly generated avatars. And by this I mean appearance, too, I want to go to war with the monster factory

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

We keep going down this path and we're going to end up with a sequel to spore

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

I don't think I've ever seen the AI raze unprotected territory and am honestly glad it doesn't, because in harder diffs it already has a stupidly unfair field advantage in terms of raw combat strength and unit count

I've definitely had the AI raze my outposts in a war (on hard, whatever the difficulty a tick above normal is, i forget what it's called) but I can't remember if they've ever razed districts or extraction sites or anything like that.

I've also finally finished a game (not the hard difficulty one, that was too hard it turns out) and it was fun, but it definitely suffers from the civ thing of everything being more or less sorted out in the first 2/3 of the game, and the rest of it just kinda going through the motions, it feels like. Hopefully they can address this in patches or DLC, but if not, it wouldn't be the first 4x game to have this problem. It's also sort of my fault because I went crazy with warmongering and ended the game via vassalage before I could even build an airplane, so I'll have to try a more peaceful strategy next time to see what the late game is really like I guess. It's also kind of funny that even though I conquered the world, I still only technically got second place, because somewhere early on one of the AI ran away with fame points and I could never touch them. Hell I only just barely beat a civ that got annihilated before the end of the game (and became a vassal of the #1 civ well before that). The fame thing is kind of weird, I have to get used to it still.

I'm also still conflicted about the whole "choose whatever culture you want every era" thing. From a cold logical gameplay point of view, I do like it quite a lot; it's a great way to make unique units relevant throughout the entire game, which I always felt was a shortcoming of civ, and opens up a lot of interesting strategic options for how you want to shape your civ that makes the game really different from the competition. But from a, for lack of a better word, storytelling perspective, I hate it, because it made it hard for me to identify and form attachments with my rivals, which is always a lot of the fun of civ games for me. When the perfidious English suddenly become the perfidious Zulu or whatever, it makes it hard to keep track of who I hate and why. Obviously the avatars stay the same, but they don't really come off as very memorable to me, so it always just becomes "the green nation" which makes me very aware that I'm playing a video game and kind of takes me out of the empire-building power fantasy. I guess the good parts of the system make it all worth it so whatever, i'll deal

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

happier about this than any balance change tbh

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've only had a few minutes to play with it, but it seems like all it does is randomly select from the AI personas that you have downloaded; so it won't create a host of randomly-generated AIs, and I don't think it randomizes the traits of the existing AIs, it just randomly selects from whichever ones you have available.

Also I don't know if this is new with the patch, or if it's always been a feature and i'm just oblivious, but it looks like they tweaked the unit art to reflect the ethnicity of your civ? I noticed when I switched the Zhou, my scout icon had an Asian face, and then I tested it with the Nubians and sure enough they looked African. I wonder if they changed all the unit art in the game, and if it reflects whichever culture you currently happen to be playing as, or if your ancient age pick governs the whole thing?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gort posted:

Pretty sure there's a randomise all button at the top of the screen

There is, yeah

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I could have sworn I took a city with nothing but ranged naval units, I think all you have to do is kill all the defenders.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Failboattootoot posted:

I played 30 hours of Humankind which is absolutely dwarfed by my time spent in other games like this. But 30 hours of playtime for 50 bucks is pretty good imo.

Yeah, I agree with the criticism that every game of Humankind is sort of the same; however that game was pretty fun and I got a few dozen hours out of it before I got bored, I don't regret it.

And if the game gets better with patches or expansions and it become fun enough that I want to spend infinite time on it then hey, bonus

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Looks like the game got a decent-sized balance patch. I haven't played the game in so long that I don't really have a sense of how game-changing the changes are, but one of the cosmetic changes stuck out to me--AI empires will now primarily be referred to by the name of the leader rather than the culture, which will help you feel more connected to who your rivals are throughout the game, rather than trying to remember who's who from era to era. They will also receive titles (queen, president, supreme ruler, etc) based on the evolution of their civics, which is a neat bit of flavor.

Forum post about that: https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/blogs/823-empire-names-in-the-ibn-battuta-update

Might check it out again, that was always one of the low-key annoying things about this game to me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The idea of a roided up black ops run where you destabilize your political enemies is pulling me back in

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

drat that’s so true. Still nothing topping Civ IV though.

I was thinking the same thing. The industrial and modern ages specifically were so good, I’ll just listen to them on YouTube still sometimes

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

If I genuinely enjoy the Endless games, and Civ V and Civ VI, is this game a solid pick? I've been eyeballing it for a while.

I found that it didn't have the staying power of any of the Civ games, I think I've only actually finished one game of Humankind, but I enjoyed doing that, I just haven't really had the itch to replay it.

Worth giving a shot if you can find it cheap, it's definitely a very competent 4x game, it's just....missing something I can't quite put my finger on. I haven't tried the expansion yet though, maybe that fixes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

LLSix posted:

It's... fine? I guess? I enjoyed the games I played with it, but it's got enough annoying parts that I don't think I'll come back to it. (e.g. AI getting to siphon off your pops with no ability to respond is infuriating - even going to war isn't effective since you are usually forced to peace out before you can raze all their adjacent cities and they just rebuild them anyways. They imported Paradox style war goals and war score in the worst way possible). It's "historical" so it's missing the flair and originality of other Endless games. If you're looking for a civlike, maybe check out Old World too.

Even the "historical" part doesn't really hit for me; the fact that you can change to any other civ in the world every time you rank up to the next era really takes me out of it, makes it difficult to attach identities to any of your rivals. Or yourself, for that matter. From a pure cold gameplay perspective the mechanic is pretty good, but it kinda taints the flavor of the game for me, if that makes sense

There was a patch which changed it so that a faction's primary identifier is now their leader rather than their culture, which I guess is an improvement, but I'm not really attached to any of these leaders, either

compare to Civ, where a lot of the leaders/cultures had more memorable and distinct personalities. For example, if you discovered that Montezuma was your neighbor, it gave you a certain feeling