Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Cynic Jester posted:

This is some next level trolling.

This is even worse than mismatched art, mismatched language Tron lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I remember InQuest trying to push blitzkrieg as the term for "unaffected by summoning sickness."

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

axeil posted:

Oh. That makes so much sense

I imagine it's also why Type 4 died off and that makes me sad. That was a fun format.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The thing that helped me with card organization the most was realizing that it was more of a chore to hoard than to let go. I didn't need a bookshelf full of 800ct longboxes full of uncommons and commons just in case one of them spiked in price. Same for bulk rares. They just take up space. In the best case, I find out a $0.25 card is now worth $10 and is something I later want for a deck (which is honestly pretty uncommon). So.. I'm out a few bucks. In practice, I find I'm usually just buying singles for edh or pauper and getting rid of anything that's not an actual deckbuilding staple. It saves so much room, makes cleaning and sorting easier, and I don't miss the piles of bulk at all.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
A month or two ago, I actually boxed up all my bulk commons/uncommons/rares into a flat rate box and mailed it to someone I saw asking about building intro decks for some kids in boy scouts. I figured they'd get more use out of it than a dusty closest or the garbage.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I said Imperial Seal, Mana Crypt, enemy fetches, Cavern of Souls, and "the reserve list" as my five answers in that survey.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Deck names have gone downhill since they quit being named after breakfast foods.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
"The hobbies you weirdos enjoy are so dumb," says a person posting in a Magic thread on Something Awful.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Another option for a casual group are the Battle Decks from Card Kingdom. I actually just bought 9 of these to essentially use as a boxed boardgame for folks without their own decks or just for chill game nights with my wife. https://www.cardkingdom.com/catalog/shop/battle-decks

They're mostly built around draft archetypes that aren't quite strong enough for constructed, but they're all about the same power level and there are over 70 decks so you can get a lot of variety. $10 a pop means you can get a few without breaking the bank, and they're a lot more consistent and fun to play than Planeswalker decks.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Arivia posted:

I feel like you just made a big mistake with Unsanctioned coming up

The first two Un-sets were only good to read the spoilers of. You chuckle at the jokes, then move on. Actually playing was garbage. I was around then and did draft/sealed with both of them. The last one was at least focused on trying to have good gameplay, but like Cactrot said it really wears thin very fast.

It was a fun draft set once, started losing its appeal the second time, and I have zero interest in doing anything related to it again in the near future.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My wife and I have been dating/married for 15 years and I still haven't told her. I'd hate for her to think I'm some kind of nerd.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > You're ugly, terrible in bed, and play Magic

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Shandalar never made my computer run slow, and that was back when desktops came with turbo buttons.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I've shipped bulk out to a teacher doing a Magic club at their school and to a boy scout leader doing the same for his group. I've also just dumped longboxes full of bulk into recycling. These are all better than keeping piles of garbage commons in the off chance that you "may need it some day". Just rebuy a playset if whatever it is if you do and save yourself from being a step away from being featured on an episode of Hoarders.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Feeling overwhelmed by the different formats. What do you guys like to play?

I play Commander (at both casual and competitive levels), Draft, Pauper, and I'm eyeing Pioneer to see if it's something I'll be interested in getting in on. Mostly depends on whether or not the LGSs near me run with it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'd enjoy some non-foil Fyndhorn Elves with new art for sure.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Hyper efficient multiplayer Legacy Highlander is super fun when everyone is on board. It's also nice in that there's no worrying about the power level of your deck or trying to match a playgroup if everyone agrees to go all out for cEDH. You just go as hard as possible with the most degenerate poo poo you can and it's a blast.

I also find myself rather enjoying casual games lately, usually with the same group if people that I jam cEDH with.

The key, like any game or social interaction, is to make sure everyone is on the same page. Thanksgiving flag football with the extended family can be ruined by a drunk uncle spear tackling kids. It's the same in Magic.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's one of the only formats not dominated by elks right now, too :v:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Maelstrom Wanderer good stuff with a 2000 dollar manabase

2016 called and wants its Boogeyman back. :smug:

For real though, Commander is just like any other format. Playing with tools isn't fun. Playing with friends is. Playing with strangers is a toss up.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Can we all stop making GBS threads on different formats and just agree that the best format is Kamigawa Block Pauper Tiny Leaders?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My Amazon brand camera bag is fantastic for being a magic transport device. I can fit 6 100 card boulders deck boxes, a small binder, my playmat in the tripod area, and still have three pouches for tokens, snacks, phone charger, notepad, dice, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CDS9HTM/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_OqUXDbD11Z79J

Been using it for two years and it has held up very well. Great size for a carry on, too.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 9, 2019

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Tubgoat posted:

For gaming bags, I recommend checking out your local Goodwill or Salvation Army stores to see what sort of packs and bags they have available and if any of those will suit your needs, as you will pay multiple orders of magnitude less there than you would for a new one and they sometimes have some real treasures lurking.

Whatever you do, don't buy one of those "dedicated gaming bags" because they're literally just camera bags but marked up to be $99 to $199. It's ridiculous.

[edit] Here are some photos of what I keep in my bag. Playmat not pictured because I just forgot, but I roll it up and put it in the tripod holder on the front. 6 EDH decks, notepad, pens, dice, card binder, dice not pictured but also go in there.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 9, 2019

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Tubgoat posted:

Agreed, but were you to find a dedicated "gaming" bag at Goodwill, it would be unlikely to excees $20, tops, and you can get a 50% off coupon by donating any old junk to the place, applicable to your purchase that very day.

I found a Grey Ghost satchel at my local for $10, it's supposed to be "tactical," the website suggests strongly it's a chud brand but it's got assloads of compartments and looks dapper as all hell, and is an attractive color. The cheapest I could find it on Amazon was around $150 which is obviously not worth it but at $10, it was a Good Buy.

Oh yeah, I meant don't buy any of that stuff new. Obviously getting stuff for dirt cheap at a thrift shop is dope. But failing that, the camera bag I use is $25 brand new so either way don't break the bank finding a way to transport your wizard poker.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

ScottyJSno posted:

"gently caress I thought had stolen an expensive camera. But all I got were these worthless expensive pieces of cardboard."

I guess that's a risk you have to take. Same for someone stealing a backpack and thinking they're getting a laptop or something. But in reality just keep your bag with you. Mine's either in my office closet, being carried, in my lap on an airplane, or between my feet at an LGS.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

bitprophet posted:

I'm not seeing where the tripod holder is on here (nor on the actual store page, though it does mention it has to do with the straps somehow).

Just for you:

Bonus cameo of my dog's nose in the background while he's very loudly snoring.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 10, 2019

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

It's breathtakingly stupid to debut a product at an event and then not make the product be that actual thing

At least they have the sense to let all the hype die down before it's even available in stores. Isn't the retail release like March 2020?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Yeah, and I can't believe they let a TERF who was caught on camera exploring twice off the same trigger write magic books.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Beanie Babies are directly responsible for the reserve list.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Oko is fine in commander.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Animetou

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Wow. gently caress. Quareen.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I grew up in a pretty rural area and the idea that you'd have to drive a whopping 25 minutes to find a good game store would have been amazing. It was nearly an hour to the closest one for me for like 10 years.

Now that I'm in actual civilization, I have probably 5 within a half hour drive and I basically never go to any because finding time and motivation to spend it on card games is rough.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It is both a cool way to do a top down Achilles and also a bad card.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
This is the first time I actually clicked on a garbage Twitter thread to see how bad it was.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ILMAGG/status/1215354154182414336

This is the last time I actually clicked on a garbage Twitter thread to see how bad it was.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
All satyrs are Catholic, even the lady satyrs.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The fact that we have Pangolin as a creature type is pretty weird.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

StabMasterArson posted:

I did a prerelease and a draft with some friends from a booster box. The casual draft game took 2 hours before we just switched to our standard decks. Why the gently caress are there no normal cards in this set that dont require per turn calcuations

What are "per turn calculations"? And are you saying that playing a game with your draft decks was taking everyone 2 hours to complete?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
"I challenge you to advertise our game for 12 hours straight. Can you do it?!"

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It works fine in paper as long as you mana weave beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Silhouette posted:

Re: sleeves

The galaxy brain move was to buy a case of Ultra Pro Metallics in 2002 when they were worth a poo poo, like me

Those things are indestructible

Same but the old, original KMC Hypermattes. I got like 4 "kits" worth off of massdrop so many years ago and I'm just now starting to run low, and that's with something like 6-7 EDH decks, 5 pauper decks, and a handful of other random cards double sleeved in perfect fits and the hypers.

Sadly, the new formula is garbage so I'm starting to slowly transition over to Katanas. They shuffle quite well so far.