Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

It's just monstrous but you cast a spell yall, dont get excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

2) they don't do single-use activated abilities without some kind of counter to solve the memory problem

I mean, the counter is the token these are creating.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

These are fun commons. I actually really like Witching Well for standard control decks, but it'll depend on the speed of the format.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

MikeCrotch posted:

Treasure and Zendikar constructed were way worse

Treasure owned because thousand year storm was incredibly good

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lmao you dont have to choose until resolution how miserable

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sampatrick posted:

we have reached peak set evaluation hysteria

Idk about modern but this will be a standard staple.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Considering that I think rosewater loving hates Song of the Dryads I imagine he should hate this card too, but probably doesn't for some reason he definitely didn't just make up.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tainen posted:

This seems super strong

Yeah this seems just really good. Cryptic your spell, bounce my land, play my land, get my cryptic. I have demonstrated a lööp

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

evilweasel posted:

this post reads virtually identically to MLM marks trying to say that you should ignore all of the statistics about how the marks in the MLM lose money

LGS are not harder than any other business to keep afloat, the issue is mainly that people who want to open them also want to be the Cool LGS Owner instead of a person running a business. I am saying this from experience knowing and interacting with numerous owners and retailers of both successful and unsuccessful stores.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

TheKingofSprings posted:

A one shot Paradise is a really good card and late-game Goose has a ton of utility to top it off in ways Bird doesn't, it is a very good card and as good as BoP in eternal formats right now

Lmao what the gently caress is this take

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lol wotc just announced they're going to do the first pioneer bans on Monday (instead of waiting for the next B&R), love to have a pissing contest between hasbro and scg

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

rkajdi posted:

Has Autumn Burchet put the original gurus they altered up for auction yet? Money could be going to a trans charity obviously. Because I'd figure you could strike while the iron is hot and getting some cash for a good cause is a huge win, even if it comes out of the art of an awful person.

They were borrowed

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lol the pioneer shown on camera at the SCG Invi looks absolutely miserable. seems like a totally trash format

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

fadam posted:

Why? I think it looks great. I also enjoy playing it.

it's a format comprised entirely of the best mindless linear aggro deck from the past few standards. entirely uninteresting.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ilmucche posted:

Is Dylan really pronounced die-lann or are the commentators loving around?

It's how he pronounces it specifically, it's not the usual pronunciation.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

They're not going to touch modern while Pioneer is in flux, because Pioneer is meant to kill Modern not Legacy

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Panzeh posted:

Standard still sucks, it's just esper piles being the thing now, because wotc is rewarding greed way too much and they gave esper an easy way to deal with any kind of problem permanent.

A lot of people are trying esper again because it was unplayable before. Still not convinced it's good tbh, but it is fun to not be at an immediate disadvantage vs oko.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

Ross believes that China is doing the right thing with their concentration camps. He believes that the Uighurs genocide is their right.

Ross Merriam is a complete piece of poo poo. Anyone with his insane beliefs are too, complete pieces of poo poo.

sorry my browser was still on this page and i had to publicly lol at this post

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Owlbear Camus posted:

We're gonna need a Vraska's Contempt reprint for sure.

Engineered Plague

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ilmucche posted:

This might be a real dumb question but what exactly is a stax deck?

Originally named for the card Smokestacks, and you can guess the rest from that

(Also named for "the $4k solution" or $t4ks in vintage, for the cost of a shops deck)

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 22, 2020

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They might do a 'khans or dragons' style cycle where you choose which colour it is when it enters the battlefield. Like fetchlands without the shuffling and the thing that makes then good

Impossible due to memory issues imo

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Whoever came up with the ability counters idea should be fired immediately. Whoever designed this card should also be fired, but out of a cannon and in to the sun.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Kurieg posted:

So this is just an auto include in every single red/blue commander deck since it has literally no opportunity cost.

yup

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

LifeLynx posted:

At Regular REL, the current fix is to remove any cards that shouldn't be there and replace them with basic lands if the deck is under legal size for the format. If the companion hasn't been cast yet, that's easy - remove it from the player's sideboard and replace it with a basic. But if the companion rule is a deckbuilding rule, then the card that breaks the companion rule is illegal, not the companion card itself, so we'd remove the offending card (and probably replace it with a basic, and I'd assume for the purposes of having this fix around that there are no companion rules that disallow basic lands) and keep playing. At Comp level and higher it's a Decklist Problem which is a Game Loss.

You can still have the companion in the sideboard, you just can't cast it from there once per game.

e; additionally, this is checked on a per game basis. So, with the CMC>=3 companion, if you had a CMC2 card in your maindeck but sided it out after game 1, you could cast the companion game 2.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yeah if this isn't "each other" doesnt this force everything to be a creature ooze?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The only reason Hour is better than the companion is because hour hits walkers. They'll print some RB/RW spell at some point that does a similar thing and then niv too will play a commander

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Bust Rodd posted:

Here’s the expose’ on insider trading before the announcement of Pioneer:

https://twitter.com/cecianasta/status/1253307228876046338?s=21

This is an incredibly dumb article lmao. I would caution anyone reading this against believing any of it or taking it seriously.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mandatory lesbian posted:

The guy who complained about it in this thread must be one of the predators cause why else would you whine about it

I don't give a poo poo about puff, and I'm not in cardboard stocks. The reason it's dumb as hell is because they're trying to make it seem like some legitimate and not just a bunch of loving morons buying poo poo out then losing all their money on speculations. It isn't a small successful cadre of people making bank, it's a very, very few moderately successful people, and a vast majority breaking even if you ignore time spent, while making the hobby worse for everyone else.

Treating it as some shrewd business world is just wrong

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AlphaKeny1 posted:

bolt would be fine right now in standard

yeah why do we need creatures with less than 4 toughness anyway

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There are levels to Caw-Blade I didn't even know about.

The one defense of the format I saw was that, unlike Yorion Fires, Caw-Blade mirrors were some incredible skill-testers. If you could stand playing against the same thing forever it was some real poo poo.

Turns out brainstorming every turn was skill intensive. And yes, bouncing your own hawk, putting the two you found back next turn, recasting to shuffle away other stuff, etc. It was a crazy matchup.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tainen posted:

hexproof
when it attacks scry 1

Lol this thing is going to be as unfun in this limited as every fat hexproof thing is in every limited!

This design paradigm loving sucks

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Silhouette posted:

Getting Big Treasure Map Energy off of this one, it'll get played a lot.

Treasure Map saw play because it also ramped, but if the format is slow enough this may have a spot in some decks.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

"See the Truth" {1}{U}
Sorcery

Look at the top three cards of your library. Put one of those cards into your hand, and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order. If you cast this spell from anywhere besides your hand, instead put all three cards into your hand.

This feels like a modern viable Accumulated Knowledge. Works with Underworld Breach, also Snapcaster? Sign me up.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 8, 2020

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Kurtofan posted:

dino elves

Found the legacy playable card

e; jesus lmao this card is so good for elves how on earth? uncounterable, makes your deck work through chalice, lethal craterhoof effect that dodges force? lmao lmao lmao.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Willeh posted:

Imagine getting upset over Historic lol

It's like, the best available format that doesn't involve playing mtgo

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I wanna see more of people's collection. Show me your swag.

I sold off my collection years ago, I miss owning really cool mtg poo poo.. Nowadays I'm only sitting on a box of ikoria collector's boosters.

Here's a build of Lands that's a few years old, plus a few of my collection of forests

https://imgur.com/a/HBXVM

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The 1U "Counter target spell unless its controller pays 1" that's also the ETBT U land card.

Everything has changed.

This card is going to see so much play lol

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

dragon enthusiast posted:

Is that the first time an effect like that has been used?

Yep

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

This is the first time since my return to magic that i don't feel even a little excitement about a set, most cards feel so bland/underpowered. At least there's the giant crab i guess.

What? These MDFC lands are probably some of the strongest cards to be printed in years (outside of obvious mistakes). Don't remotely underestimate them.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ungulateman posted:

Honestly the only MDFCs that look playable to me are Agadeem's Awakening because it's Rally the Ancestors and a big maybe for Ondu Inversion because a planar cleansing that's also a tapland is miles better than most 'x but it's also a tapland' because planar cleansing goes into decks willing to play taplands. Bala Ged Recovery and Silundi Vision are in a similar maybe position. The 3/3 mammoth could get played solely for its front face because nobody wants to play a tapland in mono-green aggro.

As an aside the card names in this set loving suck because way too many of them specifically mention some location with a dumb zendikar fantasy name due to the 'also a land' gimmick. what the gently caress is a 'silundi vision'

You're really, REALLY underestimating the power of these cards. I have to assume you haven't actually looked at the spoilers

https://scryfall.com/search?q=is%3Amdfc&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

This is a ETBT forest that becomes your most powerful card if you topdeck it late game
Censor was a fantastic card that you tended to cycle to make land drops. This just gives you that land drop at will for free.
Planar cleansing that lets you make land drops

I could go on like this for ages. It lets you take a card like Act of Treason, which is something that as a red deck you'd absolutely put in your sideboard if it didn't take up a slot. Except now you can cut lands for it and have it maindeck if you want.

This card would see play even if it wasn't also your turn 1 land drop, or a land drop instead of a dork if you had another 2 drop to play on turn 3 or whatever.

Oh look, a land drop that also deals with the hardest threat for red decks to beat!

In fact, for every single one of them, they're better than top decking a land lategame. Sure this card isn't great (Arashin Cleric saw sideboard play, so maybe this would have too anyway), but you know what on turn 20 I'll take it over a plains.

This doesn't even get in to the mythics and some of the others that are legitimately good on their front face. The best way to evaluate these is imagining either side with Cycling 0 that always draws the other face. Oh, you always hit your land drop when you cycle to do that. Oh, you always hit a spell when you cycle a land. They're insane as a concept, and you're going to see them all over the place for the rest of time in standard/historic/pioneer, and probably in modern as well somewhere.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Chamale posted:

I've been treating them as spells with a small upside, not as a major part of a manabase.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if standard decks are all playing 7 or more of these. Better deckbuilders than me are rough estimating you can cut ~4 lands at ~7 MDFCs. Look at them from the other side, they're land drops with extremely powerful upside. I'm not saying Historic Goblins is going to play a shitload of them, but every 2/3 color deck is going to be running some number of these across the newest 3 formats.