Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

Twoferi and Fourferi along with a Threeferi reprint.

Hear me out, mythic rarity Tefer1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dumb rules question that came up at fnm yesterday:

Player A attacks with champ of dusk (4/4) into player B's board of 2x merfolk trickster (2/2)

B double blocks with the mt's then divedowns one of them to "save it", sending one of them to the graveyard.

This is hideously wrong, as mtga tells me that when they declare blockers, attacking player orders blockers, and then player B has the opportunity to dive down the first blocker, saving both 1 and 2, as champ now puts 4 damage onto the 2/5 trickster.

There's no ability to 'save' one of the tricksters, because damage doesn't go on the stack.

I'm right, right?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

You can choose to put the dive down on the second trickster if you want. What they did was legal, if a little silly.

Right, player b said that the attacking creature would put 2 damage on each creature and then he would dive down one of them to prevent it from being destroyed. Which is impermissible via the rules, due to damage not going on the stack. If you're letting damage happen, the creatures die.

And if you dive down the second mt, instead of the first, that's just a straight up misplay, because you know how order of blockers work.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 7, 2019

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pontius Pilate posted:

Yes, along with the recent tezzeret and tireless tracker for landfall before it, plus others I’m forgetting I’m sure. They’re understandably hesitant to use a keyword for a single card or two in a set.

Tenth district legionnaire has heroic, but not keyworded as such.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

fadam posted:

I’m tired of using my Ultrapro bald Teferi playmat like a normie, where can I get a sick playmat to fool people into thinking I have a personality?

Have your tried the coloring placemats from your local pizzeria? They seem like your speed.

Failing that, https://www.inkedgaming.com

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Someone with more time than me should make a website for goons that lets them rate cards from 1-10 that locks before prerelease weekend because I bet every set would be 1-2 cards with 9 ratings and every other card a 1-3 rating

We used to do this in the hearthstone thread for every expansion, and it was great.

Nothing like seeing everyone poo poo all over a card for it to turn out to be good and vice versa.

Turns out evaluating cards in a vacuum is hard to do, unless they are incredibly broken.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

I’m a huge fan of this esper doom foretold deck that I saw on twitter

80s James Hetfield posted:

What's the sideboard?

There isn't a provided sideboard, but have a look at this https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2293421#arena thanks to Bryan Gottlieb.

Doom fortold + wishclaw talisman is pretty great, I've had many a player try to get cute, use the talisman on their turn with the doom trigger on the stack, pass me back the tailsman, and then having the doom trigger and make them discard the card they searched for.

:v:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

I was goofing around on arena and I just figured out gilded goose is rare.

Yikes.

So was birds of paradise and utopia tree?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

Birds is way better than this card.

Goose is way better with Oko.

I think that birds being "way better" is overplaying (:v:) your position. Slightly better? Situationally better? Maybe.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

The monoblack deck is called Unlucky Fried Kitten, end of.

It's called, "the aristocats!" duh!

E:F, B.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Look Around You posted:

I tried esper dance/manse/stax(where did this nickname come from?) in the play any deck event and it’s absolutely hilarious.

"Stax" was a deck that featured Smokestack and centered around resource denial in a prison style deck.

Speaking of, I'm in love with the deck, and I saw a bo1 version that featured fae of wishes. Naturally, I wanted to adapt it to bo3. Any suggestions?

Wishes Stax:
4 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
2 Island (ANA) 57
3 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
3 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
3 Swamp (ANA) 58
2 Plains (ANA) 56
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
4 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
4 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
4 Golden Egg (ELD) 220
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Disfigure (M20) 95
3 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
2 Dance of the Manse (ELD) 186
4 Guild Globe (WAR) 239
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
1 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193
4 Fae of Wishes (ELD) 44
1 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70

1 Enter the God-Eternals (WAR) 196
1 Time Wipe (WAR) 223
1 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212
1 Despark (WAR) 190
1 Thought Distortion (M20) 117
1 Legion's End (M20) 106
1 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228
1 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
1 Planar Cleansing (M20) 33
1 Command the Dreadhorde (WAR) 82
1 Ethereal Absolution (RNA) 170
1 Dance of the Manse (ELD) 186
1 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42
1 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

little munchkin posted:

Legions End is probably better than cry in the maindeck.

Are you using fae of wishes primarily as a turn 2 blocker or something because otherwise it seems far too slow for a deck that already has tempo problems and is trying to play catch-up in the mid game. If you really want to use them i'd trim a copy and replace some of your top-end wishboard stuff with discard spells or countermagic that you can actually sideboard in for games 2 and 3. The main engine of the deck is good enough that you don't really need dedicated win conditions, you just want to make sure you're the one that snowballs an early advantage and not your opponent.

Also I see that 1 of dovin's veto in every decklist but after playing the deck a bunch, i refuse to believe that anyone has actually cast it in game one. I swapped it out for a duress which is good against all the same cards and is much easier to find a window to cast. Why everyone only runs 3 doom fortolds is another thing i don't understand.

Aside from Oko, there aren't really a ton of decks that kill you before wrath hits the board, and you are also running 4x oath of kaya for creature clean up (and the lifegain helps a ton).

As for only running 3x doom in the main, drawing multiples is clunky. It's a very good card, but you have to set it up properly. It's not that good if you're behind without oaths/globes/eggs on the board to feed to it. People call it esper stax, but in reality (as per gottlieb) it's really esper dance, as the dance of the manse is the real star of the deck (and your win condition).

Regarding the SB should look more like:
4x duress
1 Enter the God-Eternals (WAR) 196
1 Time Wipe (WAR) 223
1 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212
1 Despark (WAR) 190
1 Legion's End (M20) 106
1 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228
1 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
1 Planar Cleansing (M20) 33
1 Dance of the Manse (ELD) 186
1 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
(and some amount of Mystic Dispute?)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

little munchkin posted:

i just played the mirror and my opponent lucksacked into turn 3 unmoored ego nabbing all four of my fields, but they still ended up losing to turn 2 oko + beanstalk giant beatdowns. cast off killing all non-giants means that you can get your giant in for damage through a big army of zombies. owned bitch

Counterpoint: I, as golos fields, Fae of wishes + unmoored ego on T7 to get rid of their dance of the manse (and to check if they had a wishboard, they did not), and then a few turns later plane wide celebration for 12 life + getting a krasis back.

They planar cleansing'd twice for little to no effect, and in the final turn, I wished for a veil of Summer to keep my teferi alive.

It felt really good to resolve ego and basically win the game on the spot.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

little munchkin posted:

that matchup is almost unlosable for you but gj

Yeah, it is what pushes dance manse revolution out of the meta and relegates it to gatekeeper status.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hastey zombies out of nowhere for the win is a pretty compelling reason to run Kenny.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

So does my baby boy dance manse revolution become a tier 1 deck? Hell yeah!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Only if you promise to shut the gently caress up about it and not Murdergoats it into the ground

Settle down, sport. Christ, a little levity never hurt anyone.

Esper manse will probably feel as punishing to play against as golos does now. That was the implication, but go off, King.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Multiple copies of Fry in the sideboard.

Fry doesn't deal with the Oko cleanly. Usually he hits the board makes a food, and then sits at 6 loyalty. Noxious grasp on the other hand... :getin:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Framboise posted:

Hey, there was some list folks were calling "unlucky grilled cat" or whatever-- can someone point me to it? Kinda want to try it in Arena because iirc it doesn't really have any rares or something

You're looking for rakdos aristocrats aka rakdos aristocats aka rakdos cat-astrophe:

https://twitter.com/The____R/status/1183432258989912065?s=19

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Unlucky Fried Kitten

Never. :colbert:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

moush posted:

Isn't Hearthstone made in Unity?

It is. They also have a decent dev team with a proven company that can make video games.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

fadam posted:

When/how did you guys break to people you’re dating that you play Magic?

When she showed me her Phelddagrif.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Entropic posted:

Does Standard fire at any of your LGSs? At mine, FNM is always draft with 8-16 people, Modern is lucky to get 8, and Standard never fires as a sanctioned event but sometimes they get 4 people and do 3 rounds round-robin.
Saturday mornings they do a free-entry Standard event for promo-pack only prizes that gets like 6 people usually.

Ours does, only because we bring 3 people, and the place runs it with 4-6 people. It loving feels horrible compared to the "good old days" where we would have 20+.

I'm old. :smith:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

I am about to be a mod on the new Pioneer subreddit. Who else wants in?

:bisonyes:

I do! Send me a PM?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

axeil posted:

:downs:

You're right, it can't be a food token. In my defense, I'm still learning how the deck works, but I feel like an idiot right now. :shobon:

I want to give the deck another try tonight because I held back Doom Foretold against Oko since I didn't realize you couldn't sac tokens in response to it. It might be even better than I thought.

We've all made that mistake. Doom Foretold is very good.

As always, RTFC.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

it's never dead.

at the absolute minimum it can kill an oko elk.

Dance Manse Revolution runs 2x grasp in the main, and 2x in the SB. This is basically the 4x disdainful stroke in the main we say pre-field ban. :smith:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Someone got a quick recap or link I can read about this Sheldon fellow? Is he a mtgfiance dork?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Star Man posted:

Don't worry, Andrew Scheer will be prime minister before too long and you'll get another taste of hell soon.

Doubtful. The knives are out for milktoast (:v:) Scheer, and it's likely he's going to get replaced by Peter McKay. However, that's like going from sorrows path to one with nothing in terms of card quality (to make this relevant to this thread).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

Post the knights list.

2 Steelclaw Lance (ELD) 202
4 Blacklance Paragon (ELD) 79
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
4 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
4 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
4 Stormfist Crusader (ELD) 203
4 Smitten Swordmaster (ELD) 105
3 Embercleave (ELD) 120
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
4 Tournament Grounds (ELD) 248
7 Swamp (XLN) 269
6 Mountain (XLN) 273
4 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
4 Foulmire Knight (ELD) 90
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241

Playing Mardu Knights, I know the following:
Embercleave is a 4x, you want to see that card every game, full stop.
Steelclaw lance is surprisingly good. T1 Feverent Champion, T2 Lance, hook up the Champ isn't the world's worst thing to do (and you get to utilize the oft forgotten last paragraph of text on the Champ).
I'm also pretty medium on Stormfist Crusader.

This is what I've mocked up, but I have no idea how correct it is:
Deck
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
6 Swamp (ANA) 58
4 Blacklance Paragon (ELD) 79
8 Mountain (ANA) 59
4 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
4 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
4 Steelclaw Lance (ELD) 202
4 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
4 Tournament Grounds (ELD) 248
4 Embercleave (ELD) 120
4 Rotting Regisaur (M20) 111
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
4 Smitten Swordmaster (ELD) 105
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241

Sideboard
4 Angrath's Rampage (WAR) 185
4 Legion's End (M20) 106
4 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
3 Drill Bit (RNA) 73

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

You're right on Embercleave and it bears investigation but I'm just concerned I'll have a couple and not enough board to cast them. Dunno what Regisaur is for though?

T1 or 2 dork + Reggie on T3 sets up for a T4 Embersaur, I mean embercleave on the Dino for lethal.

It's pretty great when it happens, and by itself embercleave is a very problematic card once it hits the table (even if you don't get in with the big Dino).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The metagame of Rock-Paper-Elk is bullshit. You'd think that Rock would beat Elk, but it only does 2 damage. Paper? Elk just eats that.

Bullshit the whole way down.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

While I am a broken man for liking the rebel mechanic during when masques was in standard, rashidian port was a terrible loving card, full stop. Absolute garbage and just served to draw out games and color screw multicolored decks.

You would randomly win and lose games due to how many of the 4 ports you drew, vs. How many your opponent drew.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

“Can I get Oracle text for this card. It’s in karate.”

Judges, let me know what infraction you would recommend to be handed out.

DQ for unironic racism - he should have used the comedy term "moon language." :colbert:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Entropic posted:

LOL it's "stickered" on top of a blue-white card. :perfect:

Just to refresh my memory, this was the designer search question which posited what colours should a flying vigilance 4/4 gold creature be? And the correct answer was g/b, because flying was secondary in black, as was vigilance in green. And that there was some reasoning as to it not being w/u, because each of those abilities are primary in those colours, which means it could also be a blue card or a white card (but not a w/u card, apparently)?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Huxley posted:

Are they actual stickers on cards, or are they just printed to look that way?

Printed to look like stickers.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

Why do people have to inject their activism into absolutely everything? It's a card game. Let it be a card game.

The best way I heard it said recently is that if you say you want to keep politics out of something, it means that you're unaffected by those political policies and have that luxury. Other's don't have that option and everything is political.

So yeah, stop being a clown.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Arivia posted:

the cat deck getting off an impossible lock on t3 is really frustrating, with the sacrifice 2 priest and then elemental maker chandra

Then all your key pieces get fought by wolves or turned into elks, including the witches oven.

Seems fair to me.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Flametongue Kavu is a good card in Standard, repeatedly invincible Flametongue Kavu with no ceiling is, in the words of Vegeta, mondo cool

Just to assist in visualizing the above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh3Y2Y8uz-4

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

To answer the query of the red pen, Jace is the big spoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I hate to sound like a broken record, but now is finally Esper Dance's time to shine. This time for sure!

:negative: