Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I’m surprised at the reaction, I thought Achilles was a super cool design and potentially pretty powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Plain Walkers (2WW)
Enchantment
All Planeswalkers lose all abilities and are white Human creatures with base power and toughness 1/1

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Samael posted:

Dryad of Ilysian Grove
2G
Enchantment Creature - Nymph
You may play an additional land on each of your turns.

Lands you control have all basic land types in addition to other types.

Welp, guess I’m buying a ton of these. You win this round WOTC.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

i'm surprised uro didn't leak

Lmao this was way under appreciated

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

fadam posted:

I feel like this thread and maybe Magic players in general overstate how badly “feelbads” affect new players (see: bouncing Oring effects, protection, hexproof). I don’t think WotC should be designing the game to appeal to the incredibly small minority of crybabies who have a bad/annoying thing happen to them in game then quit forever over it.

Agreed. Designing around that sort of stuff seems like it has made Magic more shallow over time. One of my favorite things about the game is all the interesting lines of play that open up as you learn like Oringing your own permanent to dodge a wrath or flickering it to permanently remove something. Now all those effects are designed to only target opponents and don’t let you pull any instant speed bounce shenanigans which is boring and lame.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Commander rules. There’s a ton of variety in decks and lots of interesting interactions since the card pool is so deep. There can be balance issues but if everyone has at least some answers the table can keep the more powerful decks (or whoever lucks into a T1 Sol Ring) in check. With commander you really have to be in it for the experience of the game not the end result. That makes it both the best and worst format depending on if you can find people that want the same experience as you (cEDH, Mid-Power, Battlecruisers, drink beer and talk to your buddy when you’re supposed to be taking your turn, etc).

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

C-Euro posted:

What am I supposed to be seeing here?

I had to look it up. There’s a faded IGN logo on the Wii box art.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/2008/04/20/uh-ohkami-capcom-botches-okami-wii-box-art-inadvertently-adver/

E:fb

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Drewjitsu posted:

Gary is cool, and good, but for the life of me, I have not gotten the deck to work.

Once again, Dance Manse Revolution rises from the ashes with that list posted above, and it feels very very well situated for the current format. The new sagas help out the deck a ton, and Birth of Meletis t2 + Teferi T3 is backbreaking for most aggro decks, as it gives you the breathing room necessary to start setting up the woodchipper that is Doom Foretold. I'm very happy with the deck in a format where I've been aimlessly bouncing around a bunch of decks.

(then something like cat oven or other recursion based deck will become a t1 deck, and this will have to slink back into dust :negative:)

I love me some Dance. Do you have a list? I scrolled back a bit I’m not seeing one posted.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

drat, thanks for the quick turnaround Bust!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

You want me to post my prescriptions or my psychiatry bills so you can throughly vet that I’m allowed to say that? Calm the gently caress down Star Man

Odd Burst

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

fadam posted:

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr4qr3?new_post=true

Thought on this? Obviously the first guy is a dickhead, but I’m not sure where I fall on the dice roll stuff. I would be kind of pissed and assume my opponent is trying to pull one over on me if I rolled well and they tried to get me to reroll, especially if they started crying and refused to play after. But also Tania had a lovely weekend and had a bunch of reasons to be suspicious of her opponents so idk.

I wish competitive REL had codified rules for determining who goes first the same way they dictate how you have to keep track of life/mana pool with a pen and paper. I prefer odds/evens to high roll and I hate having to explain to brainlets that it actually works out to a 50/50.

She chose a really strange hill to die on. If I were her opponent I’d have appealed the ruling too and would have been pretty indignant about her accusation. I know she just chose a bad spot to push back after feeling like she’d be taken advantage of previously and was embarrassed about it after the fact but it sounds like she just isn’t really in a good place emotionally to be playing competitively. People can be huge dicks in competitive play and I’m sure it’s even worse if you’re a lady.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

odiv posted:

I mean that attitude would just probably result in fewer women participating because they often get treated poorly and aren't "in a good place emotionally to be playing competitively".

That first guy does sound like a douche.

I mean the ideal solution would be to only have friendly and honest players in tournaments but I doubt that will ever happen. Personally I do not play games I don’t enjoy so if I were her I’d either stick to my guns and keep pushing back at people or just play more casual events.

I used to play MOBAs pretty often until I realized I only had fun 50% of the time at most so now I either just play with a few friends who want to goof around or I choose a different game. It sucks that some communities are so toxic they ruin the experience but it is what it is.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

fadam posted:

She should absolutely push back at people who are being awful, and SCG/WotC should back her up 100% (for example: banning the guy who kept flaming her on Twitter after their game), but I think in a competitive environment there should be a reasonable expectation that you can keep your emotions in check until the game is over. I can only imagine how I’d feel if someone implied I was cheating, demanded a reroll, and then burst into tears and conceded after I appealed a judge call.

This isn’t the sort of thing that there’s a reasonable solution for, and obviously if you just had a miserable experience and you legitimately thought some guy was pulling one over on you and the peanut gallery started roasting you it’s understandable to get upset, so WotC should do their best to eradicate feel bad moments like this and just standardize a method of determining who goes first in competitive REL.

I completely agree, that dude harassing her on twitter should have been DQed for that if not suspended as well.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Cheen posted:

Whats the difference between EDH and cEDH? Sorry if this was answered upthread but I have half of a brain.

cEDH is competitive EDH

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

ShaneB posted:

Today I beat Tom Ross to make day 2 at the GP AMA including "how are you so good at magic, Shane?"

Which do you think is more important, hard work or sticktoitiveness?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Are you guys on the RC??

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

The point was that Hasbro were happy to put out a garbage program for years until their golden boy kicked up a fuss (when it personally inconvenienced him) . I don't actually blame Kibler himself for killing the payouts, but I guess that serves me right for trying to make light of the incident on a comedy website forum.

Maybe if your posts were at all funny they’d have been construed as jokes :shrug:

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

They posted a list with their thoughts about it and no one responded.

Well he did post in the middle of the US work day and gave the thread less than an hour and a half before his snarky follow up so...

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Lmao oh my god I’m dying

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Mystery booster foil list is up. Some solid EDH cards but not super exciting to me overall. I don’t really get why they chose Marrow Gnawer and Reaper King when they were just released as Secret Lairs.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/mystery-booster-foil-card-list-2020-03-06

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2820094#paper

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 6, 2020

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Time posted:

What’s your favorite card to cast, but least favorite to see cast?

Mine is daze

Number Crunch

I played my high school physics teacher in a casual game once and he got super butt hurt and quit after I dumpstered him with Number Crunch. His deck had multiple moxen.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Huxley posted:

It was wild last week, I had him on because he was playing Historic. He's doing his thing when his pregnant wife brings their youngest kid in the room. The little one hops in his lap, and he and his wife talk about their plan for pulling their oldest kid out of school because of the virus.

And that whole persona just melted away, just a guy talking sweet to his kid, discussing family matters with his wife. Normal voice, human interaction, and I was like, HERE IS the guy I would watch stream.

But they left the room and he went back to talking to chat in that exaggerated voice and that was it.

Why why why would you use such an awfully annoying persona. I've tried to watch his videos but I can't get past it.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

odiv posted:

Do these Mystery Booster cards smell like BO to anyone else? I picked one up because I'm not going to be drafting in person or anything and opened it just now at work.

Is it trying to give me the LGS experience at home?

Haha I thought the same thing

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

been playing this nonsense when not playing lurrus nonsense

Companion
1 Yorion, Sky Nomad (IKO) 232

Deck
4 Archon of Sun's Grace (THB) 3
4 Dream Trawler (THB) 214
4 Dance of the Manse (ELD) 186
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
4 Elspeth Conquers Death (THB) 13
4 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
4 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
4 Omen of the Sea (THB) 58
4 Medomai's Prophecy (THB) 53
4 The Birth of Meletis (THB) 5
1 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
1 Island (IKO) 265
3 Plains (IKO) 262
1 Swamp (IKO) 268
4 Temple of Deceit (THB) 245
4 Temple of Enlightenment (THB) 246
4 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Extinction Event (IKO) 88
2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186

Kaya owns and Event owns but the mana base is literal garbage

Thanks for this. I eschewed Kaya and Event for some tweaks like Spark Double and my lord this is a spicy list.

e: just got pooped on by Gyryda, adding extinction

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 22, 2020

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

It sucks that people abuse inside info and buy out online stock to jack up prices but I feel like it was so much worse in the pre-smartphone days when MTG Finance was just ripping off children. Of course back then the hottest card in a set was $20.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Mox Hombre posted:

It always feels disingenuous when they say they don't test for older formats but at the same time make good bucks from people playing those formats. I guess what I'm trying to say is ban lurrus

I can't imagine they're making even 1% of their revenue from Legacy and Vintage.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I meant a real reprint, not in Duel Decks: Idiots vs Morons

I laughed way too hard at this

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Limited is fun to play but most of the creatures involved are loving boring and very unexciting to the uninitiated

Yeah but who cares about the perspective of the uninitiated when it comes to MTG E-Sports? It's not like anyone who doesn't already play would ever watch it.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

I have bad news for you about who they want to be watching those streams and what they might be willing to do to get it

Hopefully it's not something they alter the game to try and accommodate. FPS games and Moba's at least make some sense in that you're watching things happen but for someone that doesn't already know the game and cards Magic is possibly the worst spectator sport I can imagine.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I really want to know how they come up with these numbers. It would be very interesting to know how they define a player in this case, how they get the data for these players without them ever going to an event, how they know that these people are still playing/purchasing, and how they avoid duplication. Like if I go buy a fat pack from Target because I got a gift card there, then buy a couple packs off the rack at Walgreens because they're on sale and I found $5 on the ground, then go play at FNM at my LGS, am I getting counted as a player three times? And if so, does only one of these count as "player who makes it to organized play" since it's just the one purchase tied to my name? Or are they just making some extremely broad assumptions about purchases made at X store over Y store and extrapolating from volume?

I don't doubt that there's a statistically significant contingent of people who never go to any sort of sanctioned play for whatever reason(s), but I would love to know how they reach the numbers that they report.

I assume they can tell based on how many lovely precons and core set theme booster packs they sell at Walmart.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I very much believe that they completely missed Winota + Agent. Winota is templated in a way that SHOULD get you a pair of 2 drops in it's best case. There is just no way they signed off on Winota + Agent as reasonable gameplay.

If they test cards even a little they surely did a Ctrl+F for Human to see what Winota can grab.

Jabor posted:

There are plenty of reasonable instant speed removal spells in the format, the only thing stopping you from playing them is yourself.

I'm furious Wizards would allow my opponents to use such an unfair deck!! No, I will not adjust my deck to deal with it.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Just lol if you thought you were getting a whole box of collectors boosters as compensation for a product shipping late during a global pandemic.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That vampire seems great regardless of P/T. Reasonable mana cost, solid static ability and a nice synergistic activated ability.

Mat Cauthon posted:

If an opponent has hexproof they can dodge the effect right? Since it says "target" and not "each"?

Aye

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

I think we can all agree on compromising with Acabradabracadabra

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I just did, and it does. U R bad @ linguistics

:wrong:

"Ack" Abracadabra sounds way more like the original word than "Ack" Abradabra

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Interrupting the secret lair sale for today is the only thing that makes them seem legit.

I don’t get why everyone jumped on them for featuring black community members on Twitter but delaying a video game patch is some grand gesture. Entropic may well be right considering they pushed the MTGO patch a day early while the Arena one is still TBD.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Nobody is saying it’s a grand gesture.

True, I was too hyperbolic. I suppose anything that keeps the tide rising is valuable.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

My god this is the spiciest core set ever. How am I supposed to feed my family with this, Jumpstart, Commander Legends, Double Masters and Zendikar all coming out??

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

I get banning Invoke Prejudice because wtf how is that card even real but banning a bunch of other cards for being potentially problematic to someone somewhere is moronic (especially in lieu of WotC doing anything real to combat racism).

Reene posted:

Except it's not, and incorporating real-life prejudices into cards is actually pretty lovely, particularly for players who might be subjected to those prejudices.

I still want to see WOTC do something substantial about their hiring practices and how they treat POC players but removing cards that invoke actual bigotries or incorporate that kind of imagery is still a good move.

White being good and black being evil absolutely is a core part of the game and a wide spread fantasy trope. If people are bringing their own prejudices into the game and associating the color pie with IRL races that says more about them than it does Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

fadam posted:

Not a lore guy, but wasn’t the bad guy in Theros white?

I’m not really into lore either so I’ve got no idea but that rings a bell. Over time they’ve expanded the design space for white and black so that it’s not always a moral dichotomy. It would be boring to make white the lawful good paladin every time.

Maybe I'm just biased because I started playing as a kid and at the time white was healers, soldiers, unicorns, pegasi, rebels etc. and black was necomancers, skeletons, ghouls, demons and similar traditionally evil stuff. It's more nuanced in some sets nowadays.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 11, 2020