Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

tinaun posted:

yeah bc then the magic players who play as human male warriors in RPGs wouldn't feel connected to him and sales would plummet, apparently

personally I'd just assume he's too queer coded for them to care anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I like the two loadingreadyrun mtg podcasts

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hellsau posted:

it would cost me literally thousands of dollars to play Arena instead

how exactly are you calculating that

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hellsau posted:

Yeah it's this. I've made about 2000 tix since the London Mulligan was reimplemented on MTGO on July 2nd. If I were to have played Arena, I wouldn't have a cash-out option, and I likely would have had to buy a couple hundred bucks in packs since I hate bot drafts and my Arena account hasn't seen use since just after WAR came out.

yeah I can't really argue with "I don't play arena because I literally profit off of playing mtgo" so good on you I guess

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
They want it as a secondary format to standard, they don't want it dead.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

The current card pool but with random-rear end power cards inserted sounds like a much worse format than just Kaladesh forward

i imagine the idea is "let's get stuff arena-only players would never otherwise get to touch" plus "let's introduce stuff that curbs things in the historic meta that would otherwise be too strong"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that's the 'showcase' version, the regular version was shared a few weeks back and is on the left here

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't know if it was discord, here, or the other thread but I think I'm liking the idea of needing to tap it as an additional cost to activate it the most

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rinkles posted:

it's called heart's desire, which in this case i don't think is adam

don't judge

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
five more cards from LRR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJuYXkuW8Q4

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cynic Jester posted:

Fireborn Knight is hella 'spensive.

double strike on a 2/3 is very strong, especially with how much knight synergy we've already seen

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mike N Eich posted:

The only surprise about the mechanic to me is that it happens in reverse order - I really thought the Adventure mechanic would open up once the creature was in play.

On reflection that'd be basically identical to a creature just having an activated ability

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SalTheBard posted:

There are Instant speed adventures as well. This might be a dumb question but could you then cast the creature right after you are done with the adventure at instant speed? Sort of like Flash?

No, the creature follows normal creature restrictions

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
put the adventure exiled cards in the spot where you'd put revealed from hand cards in friendly play, except sideways

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

I hope there is a ridiculously-on-theme planeswalker like a gnome or a peter pan clone.

Snow White 2WW

+1 create a food token (gooseberry pie)
-1 create a 1/1 bird creature token with flying
-7 create 7 1/1 gnome tokens. You get an emblem with "whenever you sacrifice a food token, put 2 +1/+1 counters on each creature you control"
{3}

we've already seen the three planeswalkers in the set

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Silhouette posted:

The Arena brawl event is super fun, y'all need to stop complaining and go play.

The esper faerie deck is really cool, and whoever designed it should get a raise. The mardu knights deck is kinda fun, even though the commander is lame as hell. The jund dragon man aristocrats deck is kinda spicy, and Chulane is just kinda okay.

I feel like Chulane wants a deck that isn't what the precon is, really

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hellsau posted:

I think they're taking the opportunity to revive Brawl with new spoilers on Arena, so we got a whole bunch of cards today. Which is silly because the left hand at WotC that was promoting Brawl should have told the right hand at WotC that was developing Arena that they should loving program Brawl into their flagship digital product, but whatever.

yeah I can't believe they didn't add Brawl to Arena in any playable form. what a fuckup!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Star Man posted:

You know those people that never bring tokens they need? Have fun!

if someone like the dude upthread desperately needs a token to say when a card is on adventure or not i imagine it'll never leave their wallet between games

everyone else will just, like, remember or use an unofficial marker

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

moush posted:

Think WotC made a mistake waiting this long between the initial trailer and spoiler season. Their video got a ton of buzz and now people are just sitting around waiting.

it came out yesterday

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

President Ark posted:

am i crazy or are there more "turn creatures who are probably sapient into a food token" cards (or ones that imply something similar happen, see bartered cow's flavor text) than cards that just make regular-rear end food

how common is cannibalism on eldraine

the fae probably figure tricking people to eat other people is hilarious

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
aren't there no 1 mana dorks in standard after this rotation

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
who casts creatures in a green deck?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

resistentialism posted:

Adventure cards are treated as creatures in most cases, so you couldn't target it.

"most cases" being everywhere other than the stack

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Magic Underwear posted:

Still struggling to envision what a good food deck looks like. I didn't play during energy but as a redesigned energy it seems both more expensive than energy and with pretty mediocre payoffs. Oko is by far the strongest synergy but that's not even food specific.

it's worth remembering at the end of the day food is also straight-up just a bunch of artifact tokens and there's already a bunch of ways in today's standard to make use of that

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
given that that post is from 2014 he's probably softened on it?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

InterrupterJones posted:

I like the flavor for Return of the Wildspeaker, but it seems like a bad rare. That common looks pretty hot for limited though.

instant speed overrun and a monogreen draw a bunch card stapled together is pretty sweet

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sphinx of the guildpact is still legal in standard

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

sit on my Facebook posted:

Well that's loving stupid. At ~$20 they probably would've been a fine deal

in the announcement post they said 20-25 a pack so I guess we'll see when they're actually out

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they're going to be in nondraft boosters I thought

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

dragon enthusiast posted:

wasn't there some kind of theory that magic was getting run into the ground to make up for the rest of hasbro underperforming? sure seems like it with the way they're trying to extract money from people recently.

that theory is exactly what you'd expect someone to come up with after they complained magic is obviously dying and were told it wasn't in the slightest

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oko plus Shitterblossom is a 4/4 every turn starting turn 3

sure, if you get the exact right manabase to cast a 1B and a 1UG on t2 and 3 respectively in this standard

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Owlbear Camus posted:

And whenever I resolve the Murder taped to the Rider under clover, it GTG instead of exiling to adventure. Is there some interaction I'm missing, or is Arena hosed in spite of all the fanfare about leaving Beta?

the original cast of murderous rider's adventure needs a target to be valid, and you're doing something with the clover copy to make the original target invalid, causing it to fizzle and not resolve -- which includes the 'go-on-an-adventure exiling' part of resolving.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also there's nothing really stopping you from feeding the same cat to a series of ovens you have on the board

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sometimes a thing is really clearly not meant to be for you, and my advice is to not get upset or confused by it not being for you

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

little munchkin posted:

every single answer to field of the dead rotated out lol

between assassin's trophy and casualties of war being viable land destruction and the general quality of both colors in eldraine i'm surprised there hasn't been a golgari ramp deck going around or something

probably because people are still trying to wedge in blue to run oko as well tbh

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tubgoat posted:

Wait, so when I slam down Unlucky Fried Kitten vs. Turn 2 'Walker.dec, the client has loaded Hazoret, the Fervent on each side already? :stare:

please don't take armchair developers at their word, especially when it comes to hating on the black sheep engine of the moment

the only people who actually know how the game is structured and programmed work for wizards

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Noob back in the motherfucking thread. What is Pioneer? Did my mom's 1991-1995 cards just gain a bunch of value?

pioneer starts with a 2012 set, but those cards might actually genuinely be valuable anyway

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
blue can in fact do things other than counterspell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ShadeofBlue posted:

I thought you couldn't until November?

nah, you just make a deck with your rotated cards and queue up with it in play mode like you would with a standard deck