Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

InterrupterJones posted:

Most recent list of Modern 5-0 decks

Lots of interesting stuff, including but not limited to:

~29 instances of decks with SFM.
This is the league with h0lydiver's pretty spicy Temur Delver list.
Cool 4/5 color Elementals deck.
Someone played Mono Red Prowess to success with Abbot of Keral Keep in place of Faithless Looting.
No one made it 5-0 with an Arclight Phoenix, which was to be expected.
ONE Humans 5-0 list.
Shout outs to the one brave soul running Seismic Swans.

They actively curate 5-0 lists so it's harder for people to tell when they've completely boned formats.

This choice was made during the Kaladesh-having Standards, before they finally had to throw their hands up and ban a Lay of the Land with upside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AnEdgelord posted:

To be clear there was one hell of an upside on that lay of the land

SOI has Traverse the Ulvenwald, which is Lay of the Land without delirium and a tutor for any creature or land with.

And yet they screwed up energy so hard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

the real culprit isn't EDH so much as #mtgfinance, considering that godsire is probably garbage even if you build around the theme.

Rishadan Brigand is still $3 lmao.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Food will be like Treasure and have its attributes defined by the rules of the game rather than the card. That makes it kind of annoying because I can't tell what Food does.

It's probably an artifact to work with Oko's other two abilities. Or it could be a creature.

How rude of WOTC to change how creating Treasure works so they can use the technology on cards without reminder text.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The +1 can target any creature or artifact and has an unlimited duration, so you can elk your opponent's darksteel citadel or whatever, as well as making your tiny dudes or mana rocks into emergency elks.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
MAgic the GATHERING is a normal game that makes me holler WHAT IS FOOD WHAT DOES FOOD DO

I'm SCREAMING because I just do not know the properties of fFOOD

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tulul posted:

Also, does Oko's blue left arm make him Dack's evil twin?

No, because Dack was caught once and that placed marked his hands as punishment.

He was caught, red-handed.

I'm glad he's dead.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

neaden posted:

I'm unreasonably mad about the flavor of this. The art shows her having killed 3 bears, but as a 1/2 she is incapable of killing any! And her ability let's her kill enchantments and artifacts, but according to our latest science bears are neither of those.

that's why she dies to destroy an artifact, which is what food probably is.

She died for that porridge.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Witch's Cottage is a swamp. Before this there has been one cycle of nonbasics with single basic land types, from Shadowmoor. Eldraine is Lorwyn 2 confirmed.

Witch's Cottage doesn't care if the 3 other swamps are basic, though, Blood Crypts and Watery Graves satisfy it just fine.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Food so far has been on a planeswalker that elks it and a goose that uses it for mana.

Seems alternate uses are the order of the day.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Like, the goose and Oko can work together to make an army of elks, do that with clues, nerds.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AnEdgelord posted:

clues also turn into elks

Where's the goose that makes that many clues turn after turn???? :smug:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
A man keeps eating food because an elk is mauling him, the endless stalemate.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

whydirt posted:

That triggered ability text on Syr Konrad seems awkwardly templated in terms of remembering what makes it trigger or not without rereading it every time.

Everything ever all the time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Galaxy brain move to make the round table itself a card.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Warlock is the stupidest type because they already have enough stupid magician types they don't support enough.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kurtofan posted:

Mystic spellshaper warlock

Shaman Druid Cleric Monk Warlock.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Tell us more about your threshold for "hard working" mechanics in Magic

bootstraps -

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sampatrick posted:

like literally how can you look at these mechanics and not think they're lazy af?

They work mandatory weekends and 12 hour days, ok.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Magic Underwear posted:

When do they reveal the good cards? This is vastly worse than unbreakable formation.

Unbreakable Formation was a rare designed to make Addendum not be completely boring. Silverflame Ritual is a common meant to support white weenie strategies with a way to get past stalled boards and spike a ton of damage. It's more kin to Inspired Charge.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sampatrick posted:

On the plus side, the knights deck looks like it's shaping up to be pretty decent. Also, lots of artifact matters cards but only really the Golden Egg in terms of support so far. Maybe Witching Well will be playable? Not entirely confident about that one.

Food's artifacts.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sampatrick posted:

how on earth is adventure not kicker

There are three mechanics, kicker, split cards, and creature abilities.

Adventure is a split card that enables a creature ability.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Really when you think about it, every spell is just a card you tap lands for

Not Hogaak.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

please shut up about kicker

What did they call him before he started kicking Ironhide, then?!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

80s James Hetfield posted:

Zendikar Rising in Q4?

Why are we going back for a 3rd round so soon?

It'll be four years old. The gap between Innistrad and Shadows was four and a half.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Modern's power comes from Core Set 2020Modern HorizonsWar of the SparkRavnica AllegianceGuilds of RavnicaCore Set 2019DominariaRivals of IxalanIxalanHour of DevastationAmonkhetAether RevoltKaladeshEldritch MoonShadows over InnistradOath of the GatewatchBattle for ZendikarMagic OriginsDragons of TarkirFate ReforgedKhans of TarkirMagic 2015Journey into NyxBorn of the GodsTherosMagic 2014Dragon's MazeGatecrashReturn to RavnicaMagic 2013Avacyn RestoredDark AscensionInnistrad
Magic 2012New PhyrexiaMirrodin BesiegedScars of MirrodinMagic 2011Rise of the EldraziWorldwakeZendikarMagic 2010 Alara Reborn Conflux Shards of Alara Eventide Shadowmoor MorningtideLorwyn Tenth EditionFuture SightPlanar ChaosTime SpiralColdsnapDissensionGuildpactRavnica: City of GuildsNinth EditionSaviors of KamigawaEighth EditionBetrayers of KamigawaChampions of KamigawaFifth DawnDarksteelMirrodin.

:effort:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mossyfisk posted:

Terrible gimmick format idea:

Standard, but Planeswalker Deck walkers cost 2 less to cast.

Gideon the Oathsworn would almost be playable except for Gideon Blackblade still being better, even after the discount.

Ral, Caller of Storms has a draw as a +1 and Arc Lightning as -2, which might make him better than Storm Conduit for certain lists at the same CMC.

Dovin, Architect of Law would be actually good at 4 cmc because that + is a hell of a stabilization thing and he'd follow up Time Raveler really well.

Liliana, the Necromancer at 3 cmc would be a worse Last Hope but that's still way above most things.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Framboise posted:

How much are the brawl decks supposed to cost anyway? Kind of want two of them.

Magic products don't have an MSRP anymore, after all the intentionally low-print products went way over MSRP.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Crumbelina is actually really powerful, and smdh that only 19% of people are not fools and can sense its overwhelming spiritual pressure.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Framboise posted:

Oh, I read it as "there's something wrong/bad".

There is, they don't do effects that draw then do something based on cards in hand as a nested triggered ability. Heartwarming Redemption and Commence the Endgame in WAR just have it as part of the ability. Hell, this ability as a sorcery, Master the Way, just has it happen immediately. As written, would give the opponent a chance to respond between the draw 4 and the burn for... some reason. Perhaps because the person making this fake doesn't know how to template things properly.

Also the typeline looks stupid.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tulul posted:

It's all one ability, so drawing and dealing damage are separate events, but your opponent has no chance to respond to them. They template cards that way all the time.

None of those are abilities like Master the Way, or the two cards in WAR that draw and do something based on the number of cards in your hand, which don't use the "when you do" phrase.

This change in templating would be sudden and increase the length of the text and not really clarify anything, so why would they do it?

ELD already has a change in template that is there to clarify that Enchantment Artifacts aren't counted twice, Champion of the Flame didn't get +4/+4 from Aura Equipment attached to it, this just makes it clearer. Sorta like the change in tribal pumps that make Immerwolf and Howlpack Resurgence have different printed text despite doing the same thing.

What does the "when you do" clarify?

quote:

Also, it was confirmed to be real at some point a few days ago.

Who confirmed it? Where? How? I can say Foegod, Master of Iron was confirmed to be real, but what's the source of that?

I mean, it's a real .jpg, not a phantom of a .jpg.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

It's so you can see what cards you draw before choosing what you target. See also: Dream Eater, Hypothesizzle. This isn't hard to figure out :shrug:

My research completely missed Hypothesizzle.

gently caress.

The WAR examples wouldn't need to because they don't target anything.

Goddamn.

I still think it looks stupid but this company did change how colorless mana worked in the middle of a block once so looking stupid doesn't mean much.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

Lol are you okay?

I thought I kept up with this poo poo but it turns out it's been mostly on limited removal with one decent card, and now I've made a fool of myself in public!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tainen posted:

It hasn’t been officially previewed but in the pre-recorded video WOTC streamed on Wednesday MaRo said that Will and Rowan were going to be the first dual character planeswalker card and even named dropped “The Royal Scions”. The card was posted two or so hours before he stream.

Well, I still think it looks stupid, and its veracity will never change that. :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I don't have to like it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

The reason seems to be because.

Seriously. You can't cascade into other split cards with BBE because it sees them as the combination of their costs. These ones are different because.

Murderous Rider is not Swift End anywhere but the stack. Hit & Run is always Hit & Run unless on the stack.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
They're split cards in how you should evaluate and strategize with them, but in rules terms they are creature cards with an odd alternate mode that uses a different card type. It's not an alternative casting cost like Bestow or Overload, perhaps so a creature without flash can be paired with an Instant, so Cascade can snare it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Morophon is a peasant serf now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sinteres posted:

Choose one at random?

The card pumps out 2-3 damage a turn, sometimes as a ping and sometimes with lifelink.

The tokens are incredibly pushed for a 4 mana enchantment with no further investment. Once Merriment is on the battlefield it goes to work for you.

Compare, say, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar or Garruk Relentless who make vanilla 2/2s, or Ajani, Strength of the Pride who makes Ajani's Pridemates as a - ability. This makes much more offensively-minded tokens, as they all have haste and another little bonus to go with it. And it lacks a Planeswalker body which means it can't be killed by Questing Beast in its neverending quest to kill all Teferi.

Sarkhan's +1 is already a better wincon for Jeskai PW decks but this is certainly up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

No Wave posted:

it's an enchantment thats bad vs aggro and gets bounced by teferi.

Its biggest strength and weakness is teferi. He enables the deck type it wants and hates it out.