Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Magic: the Gathering is cool and good. Too bad about everything else surrounding it.

The magiccards.info link in the OP should be changed to scryfall.com. Also, we have an MtG goon Discord now! https://discord.gg/2M9HSa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Booooo you dumbasses

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tainen posted:

They just mentioned on stream some of the historic exclusive cards they are currently testing

Brainstorm
Fire bolt
Ethereal armor
Wormcoil engine
Dark Confidant

:psyduck:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sampatrick posted:

Fetch lands officially never getting a reprint

Like ever, or into Standard? One sucks big time and the other is no surprise at all.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sampatrick posted:

I mean probably never in standard but we'll see a paper reprint soon enough. If historic has brainstorm tho we're never going to see fetches in standard.

No fetches in Standard doesn't surprise me, I think if Wizards could wave a magic wand and get rid of them in every format they would. Evolving Wilds is probably mostly harmless for Standard/Historic though. Maybe even Prismatic Vista someday?

Actually this Historic cards concept is proof of my theory that Wizards wants Historic to eventually just be Modern without fetchlands, except they're going about it in the most rear end-backwards way imaginable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

smertrioslol posted:

What’s everyone playing tonight for modern FNM?

Mill because I'm a dork and also I plan on running stuff that's familiar to me while everyone else scrambles to figure out what the hell is going on. Plus with fast Faithless Looting decks gone and everyone searching off of their Stoneforge Mystics I feel maybe even some slight optimism about the deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

smertrioslol posted:

I think mill is probably pretty strong right now. Doesn’t seem like a meme deck anymore, and the field of ruin + archive trap interaction will be fantastic without the GY decks and the assumed prevalence of tron.

I don't think the deck has gotten a lot better in a vacuum (though Scheming Symmetry has shown a little bit of promise) but if the meta moves the way that people expect it to then I think those moves will be good for Mill. Fewer decks that use the graveyard as a resource and more decks that want to drag the game out, though Izzet Phoenix was a good matchup for Mill and I'll be sad to see it go.

The deck needs another playable 1-mana mill spell to be truly viable though. Would it have killed them to make Stream of Thought a little bit better?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

smertrioslol posted:

FNM trip report with grixis control

Dumpstered 2-0 by merfolk
Dumpstered 2-0 by mardu shadow
Beat my girlfriend’s $50 budget deck with my wallet 2-0
Dropped in utter shame

We didn't have enough people for FNM to fire and the only person who wanted to throw down for practice was running a deck with Emrakul, versus me on Mill :negative: I can't catch a break.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Light and Shadow is good in grindy matchups since you can get back creatures from your graveyard and gain life. Plus it's pseudo protection from red if the creature you equip it to have at least 2 toughness.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i was hoping we’d get at least a couple of teaser spoilers this weekend. come on WOTC!!! Feed the maw!!!

Isn't it PAX this weekend? We should get a few spoilers when Wizards does their PAX panel.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Did they say never or is this some weird guess? Arena is the easiest place to do fetch lands mechanically. It’s fast as hell.

They're easy to do on Arena but people will still raise complaints about how much shuffling they create in paper. They have to be tolerable on both platforms.

Honestly I think the biggest roadblock right now for fetches in Standard is that people still remember BFZ Standard and the 4c piles that fetches + typed duals allowed for. We won't get that combination in Standard for a long time if ever, so at the very least we'll have to wait until the shocklands are out of Standard again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

M20 has more cards with shuffling than khans. War of the spark does as well. Shuffling in paper isn’t going away. Just make a format where every deck doesn’t want to include 8 fetches and everyone wins.

Shuffling isn't going away, but fetchlands have such a low deckbuilding cost and a high enough upside that they'd only be "just OK" in a format without typed duals. And honestly I think Wizards wants to have the "typed dual" design space to play around in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Eej posted:

They're gonna push all the big 'uns into Historic and never print fetches again and silently replace Modern with it

I thought this as well but I want to see what form they use to grandfather older cards into the format, otherwise it seems like it' s going to be mad difficult to keep track of what is and isn't legal. You basically need to print some sort of Historic Horizons set.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

cheetah7071 posted:

The format "historic" uses significantly more recent cards than the format "modern"

Not for long it sounds like

Tainen posted:

They just mentioned on stream some of the historic exclusive cards they are currently testing

Brainstorm
Fire bolt
Ethereal armor
Wormcoil engine
Dark Confidant

That's four Modern-legal cards and one Legacy-legal card. If this is their pattern for cards to include in Historic then it's going to get really confusing really fast unless they do some sort of reprint set specifically branded for Historic. "Historic Masters" does have a nice ring to it...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sampatrick posted:

Four best performing decks are Burn, Whirza, Tron, and Titanshift in that order

Mill beats up on 3/4 of those, let's go bay-beeeeeeeeee

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Aniodia posted:

Holy poo poo, what? Why?

The latest set of EDH pre-cons includes a Naya deck centered around the Populate mechanic.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

bessantj posted:

Played my first ever game of M:tG tonight. I quite enjoyed it, not as complicated as I thought it would be. I played two games in total and managed to win one, I had a couple of lucky draws. Think I'm going to try and build a deck.

Welcome. Magic: the Gathering is a fun game even if there's a lot of BS that surrounds it.

Seconding Limited events as a good way to get into the game and build up a little paper collection. You might also want to look out for a pre-release event for the new set coming out this fall, those are always fun and not super-competitive because everyone is seeing the cards for the first time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

Prerelease is super chill. If you find a store with flat prize structure it's the best. My lgs for all its flaws does 2 packs for every regardless of position so everyone brews the most ridiculous thing they can think of.

RIP in peace my UR Treasure deck from the Ixalan pre-release, far and away the best Limited deck I ever put together.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

evilweasel posted:

also apparently they've got a new euphemism for "not tanking the price of the secondary market"

Where is this quote from because lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I kind of wish Historic wasn't stillborn because I would give BW Knights a fair shot in that format.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

Kinda weird that they wrote that as a 0/3 instead of a */3. Or is that a screenshot from it being in play in Arena?

I think a * in a creature's power or toughness means that the value is always being checked based on the card's rules text. Since Arena is digital that number can just be updated in real-time instead of requiring players to remember the value as it changes. In print it'll probably read as a */3.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've had more than one person claim that Lovestruck Beast is a Sorcery Creature :shrug: I've been telling people that Adventure is a fancy version of cards that have an activated ability you can use from your hand, like Simian Spirit Guide or Faerie Macabre.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

fadam posted:

I get that there are different strokes for different folks, and I understand that Magic is a game that appeals to a broad spectrum of interests, but I will never understand why people like singleton lmfao. What is the appeal of Magic with the worst part (variance) cranked up? I guess I've only played it during arena events, so maybe its a lot better with a tuned deck.

Some people like having a wider variety of cards to play with? :shrug: Plus only needing one of each card like Sickening said. For my part though, when I did play EDH I was the rear end in a top hat with a Commander that cod tutor for a lot of the cards in the deck, so variance was less of an issue for me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I suddenly recall the Legacy deck flowchart from 2014 and its Burn sequence:

"Why do you want to play Legacy?"
|
V
"I just got enough money to play!"
|
V
"Did you really?"
|
V
"No"
|
V
[[Burn]]

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The American Dream posted:

Does anyone have any experience with blue black mill in their playgroups?

I’ve watched some videos on YouTube and found some decks online, it looks like a lot of fun and now that graveyards aren’t an extension of the hand you can safely put things in your opponents graveyard.

It’s basically a burn deck with a mission briefing - archive trap/glimpse the unthinkable combo for the big mills. Schieming symmetry seems prefect for this because I can just mill the card away or wait for them to Untap with mesmeric orb in play the next turn

Hello.

I haven't had a ton of time to play it lately but people are excited about Mill for the first time in a while, due to fast GY decks getting kneecapped and the format skewing a little slower/midrangey as a result (plus everyone tutoring up cards with SFM). I do think the deck is still one good 1 or 2 CMC mill spell away from being truly viable, but you can definitely steal matches at FNM or MTGO leagues. What would you like to know?

E: This is my current list but I am giving strong consideration to going -1 Bridge -1 Ashiok -2 Collective Brutality and +1 Mesmeric Orb +3 Manic Scribe next time I make it out. Would like to get a second CoBru in the board to make up for it but I keep running into Dreadhorde Arcanist locally.

Time posted:

I can hear the furious typing now from the mill guy (who owns)

Thank you for your support friend!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 8, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The American Dream posted:

Does scheming symmetry work?

Any mill spells not seeing play that could work like the blue 5 for 1 or 7 for 2?

Does Mind Funeral work? How often do you get less then 10 cards?

Is extirpate a good budget alternative for surgical extraction?

Should I run 4 shelldock isles?

Do I run war Ashiok in the sideboard?

1. It's promising. It's inherent card disadvantage but having several ways to get rid of whatever your opponent tutored is handy. Trap + Symmetry in your opener lets you ding them for 13 and get another Trap for their turn 2/3/whatever fetchland. Some people are running 4 copies and doing a tutor package but I don't think I want more than 3.

2. There's a few borderline mill spells but Fraying Sanity and Mind Funeral are the closest to playable right now. Unfortunately they're too slow and too inconsistent respectively. Please don't run Tome Scour or Mind Sculpt except for budget reasons.

3. Related to the above, a Mind Funeral for >15 cards might win you the game, but a Mind Funeral for 8 or 9 will definitely lose you the game. There was a time when it might have been good where a lot of the top decks were running 18-20 lands (Izzet Phoenix, Tron, GDS, Hardened Scales etc.) but that meta has sadly passed.

3. Extirpate is a good sub for Surgical and is especially good if you see a lot of UW Control. Surgical is still better and will hopefully go down a bit in price.

4. God no. The fact that Shelldock always comes into play tapped can slow your clock down a lot and it's a nice target for land destruction. Most people run 2 but I've been running 1 for a while as I don't like to see it in my opening hand.

5. WAR Ashiok is a good closer, I've been running 1 maindeck for a little while. The fact that it exiles your opponent's GY each time you activate it is a huge bummer as your "reach" cards like Crypt Incursion and Visions of Beyond use the opponent's GY as a resource, so you typically don't want to start activating it until you've already cast a big Incursion or gotten a draw-3 with Visions (note that Visions becomes a draw-3 if ANY graveyard has 20+ cards, so keep an eye on your yard too!). The "opponents can't search" clause is handy too as this shut offs closers like Scapeshift and Nahiri the Harbinger, while still making them search from your own Scheming Symmetry and Field of Ruin.

E: If you want to get extra spicy some people are playing around with splashing a third color, either green for Assassin's Trophy or white for Path + more SB options.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 8, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My removal right now it
3 Fatal Push
2 Collective Brutality
1 Murderous Cut
but the Brutalities haven't been great for me lately and might get cut soon. CoBru takes a huge steamy dump on Burn so if there's a lot of that around I'd keep them. I was running 3 Inquisition for a while but dropped them for Scheming Symmetry, though some amount of SB discard makes sense (IoK, CoBru, Thoughtseize)

I think Orb is a little tricky to sell as a reprint, it has some weird timing quirks due to happening on the untap step and it's not really a card that's fondly remembered by many players. But it's really good and borderline required for the deck even if it's a non-bo with Scheming Symmetry (and a sort of non-bo with Mission Briefing). You'll find in general that the static mill effects like Orb and Hedron Crab will take over games if left alone, which is why I'm curious to try out Manic Scribe which to me has always felt like a "bubble" card for the deck.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 8, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TIL that we also have a :crab: emote

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AnEdgelord posted:

My first thought with Once Upon a Time is amulet titan. Finding your Azusas and Prime Times as well as lands seems amazing.

I had a similar thought for Valakut, which already has a couple of ramp spell flex spots. But it seems like it should be run as a four-of even though it might be worse than a ramp spell after turn 1.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

jassi007 posted:

Thinking the same thing. T1 suspend Search and this, or T2 this then explore. Probably cut farseeks?

Explore has always felt like more a flex than Farseek but I agree that any potential cuts will be to those two cards.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Hellsau posted:

I could be talked into Valakut running Once Upon A Time over Summoner's Pact, but it might just not be worth it in Modern.

Pact is really important for tutoring up SB creatures like Rec Sage, I don't think it'll ever go away. The fact that you can dig for a Valakut is pretty nice though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Can't wait for my Revolutionary Europe plane coming early 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally, a finisher for BW Tokens :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

Food Golem.

Lmao you can't catch him unless you're just as fart. Genius.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

Two neat things about this:
I think this is the first card with both a creature type and an artifact type
I think you should be able to sac this to things which let you sac food

I think you can sac this to stuff like Gilded Goose which cares about Food specifically, or at least it seems logical that you should be able to.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Oh

OH

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

At least people have heard of those things.

What I'm saying is that Arthurian legend is obscure outside of the UK and maybe France. Your average mass media consuming nerd might know that Lancelot was one of the Knights of the Round Table, but nothing else. No one's going to understand a card that's a reference to the Green Knight.

Uhhhhhhh maybe you've heard a little indie film called The Sword in the Stone, thanks there is actually very little of the Arthurian myth in that movie

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Buy your Eternal Scourges now :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I could see this following Kiora, Behemoth Beckoner in some sort of Big Boys deck.

I've been wanting a deck for that card ever since it was first spoiled, so yeah I'm on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The Mill Discord rn
https://youtu.be/co6WMzDOh1o