Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mat Cauthon posted:

I thought they said passive abilities on Planeswalkers was specific to War of the Spark and not something they want to make an evergreen design thing?

They literally said the exact opposite of that.

Well, I guess not the exact opposite. It's a deciduous mechanic that will keep coming back where it makes sense, even without being a big theme of a particular set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ilmucche posted:

I would love for one set to not have any spoilers and to walk into the prerelease completely blind. Could you imagine someone cracking a pack and screaming "They reprinted jace tms!!!"

In practice what this really means is everything still gets spoiled, but instead of using spoilers to build hype and encourage small-time content creators, all the spoilers come from stores that are unscrupulous enough to open product early.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

InterrupterJones posted:

This is true, but I feel like I've seen lists in the past with multiple iterations of some archetypes. I mostly skimmed through this list and did a Ctrl+F to find which decks were more represented than others, such as SFM decks.

All this really tells you is that the Stoneforge package fits into more different decks. There could have been more Seismic Swans 5-0s than Stoneforge Mystic ones, and the data would be the same.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Farseek was a cool ramp spell in OG ravnica that wouldn't have been as cool if the shocklands weren't typed.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
this looks like good fun magic as richard garfield intended it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's really good and shows that the looting ban was warranted and not excessive - graveyard decks can still exist, and still win, but they're not so dominant that people have to dedicate half their sideboard to hate cards just to stand a chance.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Goose isn't great but is still a better 1-mana accelerant than that 0/3 that lets you make another land drop.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A 3/3 with flying and haste is disappointing to you?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sampatrick posted:

It has more text than that

It's all optional text, so it certainly can't be worse than if it didn't have that text at all.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In any case, if fairies follow their usual theme of having crappy bodies with powerful etb effects, "each player sacrifices a creature" is going to feel pretty close to "your opponent sacrifices a creature", which is very nice on a hasty evasive thing. The discard mode being optional is especially nice (you only need to use it when you're hellbent or have a card you don't mind discarding - while your opponent needs to choose whether they answer it before they find out whether you intend to use it or not), and the draw mode doubles as a secret +1 damage mode to help close out the game if you think you can answer whatever your opponent draws.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kurtofan posted:

Look at Rankle's card number. It says 356... Is that like a card from the brawl decks/ pw decks ?

The "M" is still exactly where you'd expect it to be if it read "356/XXX", so I think it's that they're not wanting to spoil what the actual number is yet.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You should probably treat that more as a mana rock with late-game upside than trying to build around the draw-7. And a 3-mana rock that doesn't even fix your colours is a bit dubious.

But boy, that's a lot of upside when it does go off.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Maybe they'll do a functional reprint without that nonsense, and then we can run 8blossom in Modern.

(It still won't be good)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GoutPatrol posted:

Did you forget about the one 4 months ago?

Dreadhorde Invasion doesn't really count, since 3 evasive 1/1s over 3 turns is better than a 3/3 that can never productively attack against anything.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tibalt posted:

It's a five mana do nothing enchantment if you play it into an empty board, and a 5 mana Anthem if you don't have a critical mass of Knights. The floor is way too low to call it absolutely loving bonkers.

a card that churns out 3/3s every turn is absolutely loving bonkers in limited, even if it's not good to enough to instantly win the game when you have an empty board and are facing down lethal

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I still remember that time I got blown out by my opponent using Devour Flesh to answer my Akroan Horse. Good times.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Kinda weird that they wrote that as a 0/3 instead of a */3. Or is that a screenshot from it being in play in Arena?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i guess getting to cast Repulse on turn 3 is just too much for the format to bear

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also, since the removed-from-the-freaking-game-forever zone counts as "outside the game", you're now allowed to Wish for those cards just like you used to be able to.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The whole point of templating it that way is so that your opponent can't kill whatever you're targeting in order to deny you your card draw.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eej posted:

All you gotta say is you can cast Dive Down after declaring how damage is assigned but before damage is dealt. Dive Down cannot be cast in response to damage.

No you can't? You can cast Dive Down after blocking order is chosen, but assigning damage happens at the same time it's actually dealt with no room to respond in between.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

There's no priority round in between ordering blockers and assigning damage. So step-by-step:

1) Player A declares attackers.
1a) Player A gets priority.
1b) Player B gets priority.
2) Player B declares blockers.
2a) Player A gets priority.
2b) Player B gets priority.
3) Player A declares the damage order for their attackers ("I will deal 2 damage to this one, and 2 damage to that one"). They have to assign lethal to one blocker before they can assign damage to any other blockers.
4) Player B does the same thing for their blockers.
5) First strike damage is resolved and all dealt simultaneously.
5a) Player A gets priority.
5b) Player B gets priority.
6) Regular damage is resolved for any creatures still alive, and all dealt simultaneously.
6a) Player A gets priority.
6b) Player B gets priority.
7) End of combat step.
7a) Player A gets priority.
7b) Player B gets priority.

In your above example, Player B would have to give that +0/+3 to a creature in step 2B, before Player A has assigned damage. So Player A could just choose to assign 2 damage to the 2/2 instead, and 2 damage to the 2/5.

This is wrong.

You do not assign damage numbers when you choose the blocking order. You just choose the order.

When assigning damage at the start of the combat damage step, you have to respect the order you chose, but you can assign the damage any way you like as long as that order is respected.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Good point, updated my above comment to distinguish between blocking order and damage assignment.

It's still wrong. Your headline statement is inconsistent with your detailed outline, and neither of them are correct!

ilmucche's understanding was completely correct. Here it is again, broken out into steps with players getting priority added:

-- Declare Attackers step:
Player A attacks with a 4/4
Each player gets priority
-- Declare Blockers step:
Player B blocks with 2 2/2s
Player A orders the blockers as "I'll hit creature 1, then 2" but doesn't assign damage yet
Each player gets priority. Player B gives +0/+3 to creature 1.
-- Combat Damage step:
Player A has to assign lethal damage to creature 1 before they can assign any to creature 2, so they assign and deal 4 damage to creature 1 and both defenders survive.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That is a very good Mana Leak.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Nobody is drafting on mtgo, so there's basically zero supply of these cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Desecration Demon was, in fact, Quite Good, and this seems even better in many matchups.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a solid limited card, easy two-for-one early and still an evasive creature later. There's a bit of tension if you draw it late in whether you just want to play the creature and start poking in, or hang on to try and get value from the counter.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Huxley posted:

It just feels like they're being really careful, because of all the ones we've seen there's been only one side of the split that would be a constructed playable on its own, and even that wouldn't be a guaranteed windmill 4-of.

Maybe careful is exactly right, or maybe they've got something up their sleeves.

If one side of the split is constructed playable on it's own, then the card is really good because it's constructed playable with even more good stuff tacked on.

Like, having a powerful constructed-playable spell and then letting you also play a middling creature afterwards as a bonus doesn't make the spell worse, it makes it better.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Schneider Heim posted:

I was wondering why I don't really see MtG fan merch in my local cons when I read up that WotC straight-up disallows it? It's still true, right?

They make money from licensing the brand.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
An incredibly practical lance, with attachments that stab your own horse in the head.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Voyager I posted:

The card has the potential to do powerful things for 1 mana, but the fact that it doesn't do anything without support is a very serious drawback. Good decks want to be made of cards that are individually strong in addition to having synergy with the rest of their game plan and are leery of cards that require payoffs to contribute.

It's better than a bunch of the dorky 1-drops that Cavalcade is already playing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

This is something good to do with your Food tokens, even if you don't have any explicit food synergy.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sickening posted:

I feel like haggle is unique at 1 cmc right?

Depending on how unique you want to be, Insolent Neonate can do the same 1-mana discard-and-draw.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
what does it do that's particularly good against tokens?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
They've spent a card (and a turn, if it's early on) not putting any pressure on you in order to play it though, so it doesn't really seem like the hugest deal if you're playing a deck that only draws one card a turn? You still get to advance the board on your turn and Path/Push the opponent's creature on their turn.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
One of the lands in this cycle is probably gonna be a good toolbox land for Modern, that you can find with one of your fetches when you need it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That ritual is basically made for Dragonstorm.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's like an escher painting. The visual cues of the arc tell you that the flying dino is in front of the one on the ground, but where they actually overlap the one on the ground is drawn in front.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Kinda funny how Dimir's theme this set is "cards that you don't put in the same deck as Ashiok".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think the 2-mana counter/removal is mostly going to replace the 3-mana counterspells.