Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

little munchkin posted:

arena decklists (formerly the GAM podcast) is the best constructed podcast by a mile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yeah. But on the other hand I'm a little more willing to look past it than usual given that it's an actual apology and mea culpa, which is rare enough

If you only apologize months after the issues crop up and only when you get called out on it while trying to move into a new business, it undermines the idea that you are remotely authentic in your apology. Owen didn't apologize and come clean when he was first called out for being a sex pest. He only 'apologized' and came clean when he realized that people still remembered that he was a sex pest. This is not a real apology.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
They really do just want everyone to play standard

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Why is it necessary for historic cards to be more expensive than other cards

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Fetch lands officially never getting a reprint

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Like ever, or into Standard? One sucks big time and the other is no surprise at all.

I mean probably never in standard but we'll see a paper reprint soon enough. If historic has brainstorm tho we're never going to see fetches in standard.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Energy was a broken mechanic

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Burn is owning the Open lmao

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Four best performing decks are Burn, Whirza, Tron, and Titanshift in that order

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
To be fair, Whirza gets more or less completely bodied by UW control

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
It's better for whirza than it was for the older prison decks because sometimes you just thopter sword them and that's good enough but it's definitely not favorable

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Whirza winning makes me so happy. Deck is sick af.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Tomescour lmao

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
It's going to be like forecast

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
It can't be an activated ability because that would be stupid and if it's a split card than the card is beauty or the beast which is clearly a flavor fail

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
It's not going to be literally a split card because we just had split cards so it's got to be something along the lines of forecast or a one time activated ability or something. It probably can't be forecast because then you could do it multiple times and the one Mana card would be a mythic uncommon that's almost unbeatable.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I find it extremely unlikely for them to do time counters again when people apparently hated that back in TSP standard

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I can tell you right away that this mechanic will be either good or it will be bad. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
If witching well was 2u to activate it would be a constructed card. As it stands, it's just too expensive.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Kalli posted:

Design feels real good, hope it's more of a Lorwyn or Innistrad then a uh... I dunno, Avacyn's Restored.

Strongly agree with this

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Food is a clue token except you always draw a free healing salve

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
that 4 mana faerie is the most disappointing card i've ever read

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

A 3/3 with flying and haste is disappointing to you?

It has more text than that

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
But also yes a 3/3 for 4 is not fantastic

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

It's all optional text, so it certainly can't be worse than if it didn't have that text at all.

Well it can certainly be more disappointing

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Now that's a good card

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
That Garruk is very good. It's a six Mana Planeswalker that is almost always going to be a three for one at minimum.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

It is basically 6-drop Vraska only less flexible.

It's much stronger. You get two cards on the minus and two tokens on the psuedo plus.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Irencrag not ironcrag

Wtf

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Adventure cards don't have their second type while in any other zone. If you cast the adventure half, you put the card in exile and then can cast the creature half at a later time.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
These have got to be the laziest set mechanics wotc has ever done

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Hellsau posted:

what were the set mechanics in Born of the Gods?

The same as the ones from Theros but also Inspired and the other one

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Tell us more about your threshold for "hard working" mechanics in Magic

idk when its not literally investigate but worse or slightly different devotion or kicker with memory and gameplay issues

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tell us more about your threshold for "hard working" mechanics in Magic

like literally how can you look at these mechanics and not think they're lazy af?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Uh Adventure is something they haven't done before, and Food is tweaking an already existing mechanic that worked well, which is a tried and true formula for the game.

Delve, Manifest, and Energy were all brand new "non-lazy" mechanics and they all sucked poo poo. It turns out that the amount of "effort" put into a mechanic has no relation to how good or fun it is.

You know what the least lazy mechanics of all time were? Banding and Rampage. poo poo, maybe I need to rethink my views about complex mechanics being "good"

Adventure is literally kicker with a bunch of weird timing and gameplay issues that's going to be really annoying at FNM and probably also annoying at other levels of gameplay. Food is Investigate except you have to build a deck specifically around it for it to do anything which makes it a very parasitic mechanic which is obviously bad.

Delve and Manifest are both lazy mechanics. Energy is a bad mechanic because it's parasitic and only interacts with other cards that have Energy. Like, this set is lazy because you have adamant, which is boring and going to be annoying to use online, you have food, which is boring and is extremely bad unless you are building the food deck, and you have adventure, which is kicker, except you need to remember if it's been exiled from a spell or if it's been exiled from adventuring and also you need to remember which card type it is at all times because it changes and etc. There are three mechanics in this set and not one of them is actually interesting. Compare this to like the last four standard sets that all had interesting mechanics with good interplay. We have Food, which is by itself, and Adamant, which is by itself, and Adventure, which is by itself. It's just a bunch of boring mechanics that sit by themselves and don't meaningfully interact with each other. I don't understand how you can look at this set of mechanics and not think that they're boring.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

whydirt posted:

Thanks for the input, sam-“there’s too much removal in War of the Spark”-patrick

I literally said that the format was going to be super slow and come down to who has more bombs because there's so much removal and lo and behold, that's exactly how war of the spark played out

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
On the plus side, the knights deck looks like it's shaping up to be pretty decent. Also, lots of artifact matters cards but only really the Golden Egg in terms of support so far. Maybe Witching Well will be playable? Not entirely confident about that one.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

lmao this guy doesn't even know what kicker is

how on earth is adventure not kicker. it's like the worst kicker variant because it's kicker but with memory issues.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 4, 2019

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The three mechanics are kicker, cantrip, and split card, c'mon guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
You need to include cantrip in order to include stuff like flashback or investigate