Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sampatrick posted:

Why is it necessary for historic cards to be more expensive than other cards

Because they think the only reason players touch standard instead of Modern is because Modern decks cost twice as much, so they're trying to replicate it here, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So do I go sink wildcards today into the checklands I don't have, or do I commit myself to not playing the format?

This sure is a decision point that gets me excited about Historic!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

80s James Hetfield posted:

Weren't Throne spoilers supposed to start Monday? (I assumed today due to the holiday)

Maro column made it sound like next Monday.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My guess is +1/+1 end of turn at instant speed, 1 generic to use.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That card is very ugly.

The artwork is great, the frame is really nice.

That version of split is horrendous.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

Everything is loving kicker

Hey, SOME things are Flashback.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

She's a gallery artist now. She legit has better things to do now.

Her insta is NSFW but man alive, she is good.

If she's in this set, it'll be because she wants to be and because they showed her the money she deserves. I'd love for them to give her a real showcase card like they do Seb. There's no way, though.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WOTC this afternoon posted:

We talked Rebecca Guay out of retirement and paid her a million dollars to do the food token.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely a flashback mechanic, though a much more interesting one than the Retrace/Jump Start.

It's not kicker, since you don't have to do both at the same time.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So to answer your question:

mossyfisk posted:

Can we get a thread consensus on whether Adventures are "basically just Kicker" or "basically just Flashback"?

No.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When it started I assumed it was a countdown to an actual thing.

I'm growing increasingly unsure.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
E: actually the Brawl stuff seems more likely.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 4, 2019

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
lol Maro is a whole lot

this is a LOT of Maro

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

Extremely looking forward to the MTGA auto tapper loving up adamant, constantly

Are there any in the precon Brawl decks? I bet they use the same interface as split cards/spectacle, at the very least.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I need them to show me the extremely good red 1- and/or 2-drop they feel safe printing since the entire red deck is about to rotate.

I want to craft them and continue to play broken-rear end red aggro nonsense in Historic.

I can't play truly love a deck unless it gives me a chance of outright winning on T4.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

This is phenomenal.

If blue is "Counter target spell" can you make it 1UU? It's free cost is narrow for Standard and we've seen strictly better Cancel be playable a hundred times.

It probably has to be a 1UU negate, though. Catching aggro's one-drop from the draw for no mana is probably too good even for Standard.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

resistentialism posted:

Someone find the edge case where the draw player being able to play it on their opponent's first turn somehow matters.

It probably has to do with finding Spirit Guide.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

I know that Maro likes to be build himself up as the hero who gave us what we wanted, but who are these goofs who kept shooting down Fairy Tale Plane but thought Arthurian legend was actually loving interesting, and when are they all going to be fired?

I always assumed MaRo gets whatever he wants eventually. Who in the pitch room was going to like, off-handedly slide HIS entire premise into the trash can based on a 2-3 minute presentation.

"What if we just knock off a bunch of Disney movies but with names like, Alsa, the Frigid Queen or whatever," is pretty much all any sensible room should have needed to hear.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what shenanigans bottoming it is there to prevent.

I guess just casually regrowing a strong 2-for-1 is reason enough.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

Raise Dead effects.

Yeah, OK

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

What’s the deal with the templating on Joust, I can’t double check right now but it’s different than normal fight cards, right?

Savage Smash does basically the same thing with different wording.

Savage Smash {1}{R}{G}
Sorcery
Target creature you control gets +2/+2 until end of turn. It fights target creature you don’t control. (Each deals damage equal to its power to the other.)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

drainpipe posted:

What are some mono black ways to shuffle your deck?

I so badly want mono b to be a thing.

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=oracle%3Asearch+color%3DB+legal%3Afuture

Plus Evolving Wilds and Pattern Matcher.

e: In future standard, at least. There are tons of ways in Modern, fetches being the most obvious and useful.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 9, 2019

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How much strictly better than Murder does Murder need to be to make up for it costing too much mana?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Well, I take everything back.

A pushed card added at the last minute is probably going to be insane.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

lol this explains everything.

Wasn't it like, Skullclamp or something where the design story was, "we cut a card at the last minute and the Christmas party was starting up downstairs. I had to throw something in its spot, so I made an OK equipment, gave it a downside, then went to the party. The set started printing the next week."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vaah posted:

So based off the wording of Wicked Wolf, you can't activate that ability if you've tapped to attack, correct? Having "Tap it." on a separate line of its own has me confused.

The opposite. Everything to the left of the : is cost, everything to the right is effect. So tapping him is not a cost of the ability, but a result.

You can attack with him, then eat to put on counters. During combat (or after). It's already tapped, so the "Tap it." doesn't do anything.

You can respond to his EtB effect with his pump, as well, which will tap him.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yes, exactly.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Can you only choose because both halves are <4? Or can you Bloodbraid into the Goldilocks card and choose to cast the three bears?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

What a beautiful, diaphanous ... wait how many toes are on that lady's foot?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think it's just not very pushed. Very much a card where you can see the levers and each one is in the "this is not meant to be actually good" position.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tibalt posted:

Yeah but having an acceptable creature that can be a narrow counter spell (and later a creature) might be better than the sum of its parts.

Could be. I keep evaluating them in terms of casting both sides sequentially or over back-to-back turns, but until we see them in play and the rest of how Standard turns out, there's no way of knowing how valuable it will be.

Like anything, it wouldn't be hard to make a busted card out of the mechanic, but right now they've all looked like, "unplayable spell into unplayable creature," and honestly maybe slapping a built-in 2-for-1 makes that good enough (or making either side of the card remotely OK turns out to be absurd).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It just feels like they're being really careful, because of all the ones we've seen there's been only one side of the split that would be a constructed playable on its own, and even that wouldn't be a guaranteed windmill 4-of.

Maybe careful is exactly right, or maybe they've got something up their sleeves.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

not to pick on you but this is exactly the opposite of the right way to evaluate split cards. If one half is constructed playable then the card is strictly better than a constructed playable card, which usually means it’s bonkers. Choice is super valuable. Nobody would play just Fire or just Ice (welllllll maybe on that latter as a one-of) but Fire//Ice is an all-timer. This goes double for Adventures because you get BOTH halves.

Yeah, what I need to stop doing is evaluating them like split cards. These are all really bad split cards.

But these aren't Thrash/Threat. They're Thrash that draws you a Threat.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

He left us as a Phelddagrif and returned a king.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hey, here's a good card.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Blink bear is gross with Bellhaunt and Elite Guardmage in standard.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

this set is remarkably wordy

Ohhhhhhhhhh.

Robber of the Rich is Robin Hood, that's why he has reach. Because archery.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Obscil posted:

Stolen by the Fae XUU

Sorcery

Return target creature with converted mana cost X to it's owner's hand. Create X blue 1/1 faerie creature tokens with flying.

X, not X or less, is notable.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To date Snow White you must first battle her seven evil ex dwarf-friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

THEY FORGOT!