Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ungulateman posted:

i love this. it even interacts favourably with saffi eriksdotter

So the creature attacks a player but also fights Hans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Boxes just got ten bux more expensive :negative:

You can’t fool me, that’s just former Yugioh staple Mystical Space Typhoon

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If someone had a combo for infinite life I would make them do the combo for each point of life, as a punishment. I have the patience to just sit around as the tap and untap, forever

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So what’s the deal with Uro? It just does too much and comes back to easily?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

flatluigi posted:

kargan intimidator is a warrior because it's a card built in reference to a card from future sight

What is up with the cards that have the mana cost on the side of the art. They look terrible

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s a manga called Destroy All Humankind. It Can’t Be Regenerated about playing 1998 Magic the Gathering in Japan. (Read right to left)

The 1998 meta was very dumb

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jiro posted:

Yeah they really are, I tend to prefer how the etched foils on the English Mystical Archive cards look than regular foil. Just nice subtle highlights on the border that give it that old inlaid gold on medieval books quality.

The only medieval quality I want to see is doodles of knights fighting giant snails

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I like when Seth says Ray Bugler and does a “doot-dootle-doo!” The mispronunciations are charming whether they’re an affectation or not.

Paper draft is pretty much dead, right? Probably won’t be coming back post-pandemic?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I find Magic art pretty bland a boring most of the time, although the Mystical Archives were neat

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
People will always try to game the system, especially in a gambling environment like buying booster packs

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Wizards understands FOMO makes money, that’s the whole point of Secret Lairs. Now, I don’t know if that has anything to do with MH2 sale weirdness, but it’s definitely something they know to manipulate

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://youtu.be/YePGqncCx8U

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Arivia posted:

The signature wizard of that setting. Meanwhile we're skipping the signature wizards of the Forgotten Realms, most notably Elminster! (The Blackstaff is essentially Khelben, and Westgate Regent is Orlak II aka Vampire Manshoon.)

This is probably for the best. Wizards of the Coast as they are currently probably would prefer that people not remember that Elminster exists

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ferrinus posted:

I want more liches that are Creature - Skeleton Wizard. The demilich is a good start but I'm not satisfied.

Be the Skeleton Wizard you wish to see in the world

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
D20s are absolutely iconic to D&D, the problem is that most of the things iconic to D&D are kind of bad

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The payoff for a 4 mana 0/4 and two other monsters with different power only being able to draw a card seems pretty weak. I guess the idea is to have lots of monsters with coven and have them all give you little bits of value?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/choffercbus/status/1419642703084670981?s=21

WotC’s making a lot of money

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’ve been reading up on the Magic characters and stories and this Sorin guy seems like a real jerk.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TheKingofSprings posted:

He’s actually one of the nicer people that we know of

Characters in Magic are assholes

Oh dear

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

AngryBooch posted:

Maybe she shouldn't have fallen asleep for a thousand years and let her people begin to worship the Eldrazi then blame Sorin for not picking up the phone because he's in a dead zone instead of walking over to tell him in person when he lives next door. Nahiri is a genocidal maniac with only herself to blame.

Sorin could have at least apologized for not showing up. He seems like a guy who never thinks anything is his fault

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So how do you folks handle playing the meta? I’m a contrarian with big need to feel unique so I try to play off-meta decks but also I like winning, so I feel the temptation to play meta decks for those sweet sweet victories.

It’s in a different card game but mtg is basically the only tcg really talked about on the forums and I figure the struggle for self-expression versus high winrate is still there

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

coelomate posted:

Crypto booms boosted MTG prices as nerds got magic internet money rich and bought cardboard with the earnings, and FAB/MetaZoo feel like they're trying to follow the crypto playbook. (1) Create something deliberately, verifiably scarce and then (2) convince enough other people that it's Real and Good and Valuable. It's just so top down - "let's create a collectible" vs. "let's create a game and hope it becomes popular."

20 years from now FAB and MetaZoo will be worthless footnotes. Meanwhile, whatever middle school students are actually interested in today will be valuable... because they will be nerds with the disposable income, and they're not buying stuff by the pallet full from youtubers with All The Answers.

It does seem like FAB and MZ are genuinely trying to make fun games though. Aren’t almost all of the expensive cards from FAB just rare foil versions of other cards?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
AFR drafts seem to be doing well, just on Arena. Wizards wants you to play digital

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
My problem with the crossovers is that they are largely the most boring, obvious ones, except Street Fighter, which is hilarious.

I’ll say this about the Fortnite crossover: at least it isn’t meant specifically for men in their forties, unlike the bulk of the previous crossovers

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Saga, Read the Silmarillion:

Step one, Lots of Elves in This, Huh: Make two white 1/1 Elf tokens

Step two, No, Seriously, How Many Elves Are In This: For each Elf you have in play, make a 1/1 white Elf token.

Step three, Oh Wow These Elves Are Assholes: All elves you control gain deathtouch. Every elf you control fights one other monster

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m kind of grumpy about Cyberpunk Kamigawa because the it feels like every western Japanese-inspired setting is either samurais and ninjas or cyberpunk, and Magic just mashed the two together. That said, I’m not sure what I was expecting, Magic pretty much always goes for the obvious themes

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
BREAD stands for the colors. Black, Red, grEen, whAit, and blueD

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So how has Historic been after a bunch of Modern cards got added? The videos/streams I’ve watched made it look like it it’s pretty much just mono-white with the occasional infinite combo now

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I think making the opponent have to sit through a 45 minute match is very funny, ngl. Just because you can’t win doesn’t mean that you have lost the game.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Can someone explain what an angle shoot is? I’ve never heard the term

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Is attacking with a monster that would die to a block, saying “oops”, then buffing it with an instant when it gets blocked an angle shoot or is it just bluffing?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Sinteres posted:

It's insane how complicated Magic releases are these days.

https://twitter.com/jeremynoell/status/1433473332742086663

This is hilariously scummy

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 3, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Does the enchantment at least slow down Soul Sisters? It makes Righteous Valkyrie’s threshold harder to get to

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How did companions work originally?

They essentially had their own commander zone that you could cast them from, rather than having to pay three to put them into your hand

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Holy poo poo that flavor text

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Is it me or are the majority of the disturb cards pretty wholesome. Like, people die but then they come back as pillars of the community

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If you want a game where the higher rarity cards are still available and accessible I recommend the Final Fantasy tcg. It plays pretty similarly to Magic but the main way you get mana is through discarding your cards. It’s neat

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Elblanco posted:

Wizards just bring back duel masters outside of japan!

Duel Masters is incredibly influential and basically every Japanese card game released after it is inspired by it in one way or another, so it’s kinda wild to me that it’s never taken off in the States. Somehow, Cardfight Vanguard has stuck around but Duel Masters canon hack it, it’s weird

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Strong Sauce posted:

The guy who painted the Rotten Reunion card accidentally ended up at the American Gothic house thinking it was a Frank Lloyd Wright house and ended up taking pictures in front of it and using that as the basis of the card art.

That’s fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gramps posted:

I'm pretty new to the thread since I just started playing again but I would LOVE to actually talk about magic.

What's your favorite deck you ever played? This probably won't paint me in the best light but I played magnivore in Kami/Rav standard. That poo poo was not nice at all.

ShineGreymon control

…I don’t actually play MtG