Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cockatrice is good but the people are terrible, much like paper magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

LifeLynx posted:

Yeah I don't know why either, I thought they were for finance and business stuff but it seems they hired a token millenial to write articles you can't even find from the site's front page because they would confuse the boomers who want to work on developing their yacht envy.

Forbes lets a bunch of randoms write for their site now. There's still financial and business, but loads of offtopic random stuff that's written by basically anyone.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It's madness and we should discard the other thread

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I hope they print fetches into historic. 2 wildcards to fetch would be hilarious

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tainen posted:

They just mentioned on stream some of the historic exclusive cards they are currently testing

Brainstorm
Fire bolt
Ethereal armor
Wormcoil engine
Dark Confidant

reserved list on arena when

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Fetchless modern would be pretty tough for mana fixing though right? Like there would have to be some viable mana rocks as fetches are pretty drat versatile

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

TheKingofSprings posted:

That’s essentially the point of not including fetches

Are 2-3 colour decks a huge problem compared to monocolour decks? I thought it had more to do with shuffling.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

Fetches + Shocks let you easily play 4-5 colours. If you have fetches that get Plains in your deck you can, for example, put one each of a WB, WR, and WG shockland in your deck and make any colour of mana you want. Aside from a few life there's no deckbuilding cost and it aggressively homogenises deck construction when you can play All The Good Cards

I think we're saying the same thing from different sides. Fetch + shock lets multicolour decks run smoothly. Anything 5c is going to run vials or caverns anyway, why is making jund viable a bad thing? Without the fetch + shock combo wouldn't Tron just dominate everyone?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

"We are experimenting with mycosinth lattice in historic. Also, the tron lands"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I would love for one set to not have any spoilers and to walk into the prerelease completely blind. Could you imagine someone cracking a pack and screaming "They reprinted jace tms!!!"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is a 4/4 lifelinker attached to a 0/0 token really that dangerous? it can be pushed easily, and batterskull costs 5 to replay with stoneforge

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bonus posted:

Don't think Hexdrinker panned out as well as people thought it would. Just needs too much mana to be better than a savannah lions.

Man, whirza looks really strong in this new modern, maybe even the best deck. Traditionally, midrange decks that had quick combo potential (twin, phoenix, etc.) have been really good, and this is the only one that can do something like that I think. On top of that, it has a prison/tutor element.

Vizier combo seemed pretty drat fast too.
Trying to use rhythm of the wild in modern, however, really sucks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Welcome. Magic: the Gathering is a fun game even if there's a lot of BS that surrounds it.

Seconding Limited events as a good way to get into the game and build up a little paper collection. You might also want to look out for a pre-release event for the new set coming out this fall, those are always fun and not super-competitive because everyone is seeing the cards for the first time.

Prerelease is super chill. If you find a store with flat prize structure it's the best. My lgs for all its flaws does 2 packs for every regardless of position so everyone brews the most ridiculous thing they can think of.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Food token

sac food token, put two +1/+1 counters on target creature. It becomes fed until end of turn. You gain 1 life.

When a creature is fed, remove all damage that has been done to it this turn.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wishful merfolk is good flavour. Does the 5/5 lovestruck guy get to attack if there's an intangible virtue on the field? Seems to me like 1/1 tokens are still 1/1, but get +1/+1 afterward.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Doubling season + bitterblossom. Blossom has to be in a faerie set yeah?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jabor posted:

Maybe they'll do a functional reprint without that nonsense, and then we can run 8blossom in Modern.

(It still won't be good)

Tokens is already poo poo, so why not?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

InterrupterJones posted:

Wonder how many modern playable (relatively speaking) knight cards are going to spike now.

Time to buy the history of benalias I wanted before they spike I guess.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sickening posted:

Ummm what?

That's purely for precons yeah?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That trailer owns, except for garruk eating the gingerbread dude. Would've preferred it be a rando knight

set flavour looking great though. Hopefully we get a card that refers to spicing things up with flavour text that refers to flavour

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

flatluigi posted:

On reflection that'd be basically identical to a creature just having an activated ability

Or it could get exiled, then recastable from exile so it doesn't go into the hand?
Like I summon a dude, send him off to get me a forest, then summon him back

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Can Karn get back a wormcoil that's been exiled?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah the card frame is pretty confusing, especially as split cards normally had two arts. I can see adventure cards getting played completely wrong on kitchen tables. Not that it's a bad thing as long as kitchen table magic is for fun.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm curious what happens if they want to bring back removed from the game completely. Something gets banished to the shadow realm or maybe whenever bolas is now

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Quick, tell me all of the reasons I should stick to BW tokens and not play this ridiculous 14 anthem deck I've just come up with at FNM tomorrow:

3 Force of Virtue
4 Intangible Virtue
3 Honor of the Pure
4 Leyline of the Meek
4 Auriok Champion
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Spectral Procession
4 Lingering Souls
2 Path to Exile
2 Secure the Wastes
2 Generous Gift
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

2 Silent Clearing
4 Marsh Flats
3 Godless Shrine
1 Swamp
2 Westvale Abbey
10 Plains

side:
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
1 Disenchant
1 Nature's Chant
1 Runed Halo
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Wrath of God
1 Settle the Wreckage
1 Rule of Law
2 Beckon Apparition
2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Do I jam a few legion's landings in? or find a place for elspeth tirel?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Silent Clearing
Marsh Flats
Path to Exile
Secure the Wastes
Force of Virtue
Intangible Virtue
Leyline of the Meek

Keep or mull?

Mull, because I know if I keep that I get turn 1 thoughtseized.
Point taken.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

If you are going to do token strats, why aren't you running Gideon, Ally of Zendikar? Make it an 18 anthem deck if you gonna be dumb.

Edit: Also, realize that Leyline pumps your opponent's poo poo if they are running Young Peezy or Urza.

Don't have gideons. I run sorins and a Kaya orzhov usurper in bw. Only have 3 forces and 3 honor of the pures

Toshimo posted:

Swap your bad leylines for the good leylines and that's a snap keep.

What are the good leylines?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Alright, regular BW tokens it is. I'll run that one out in casual play at the lgs for fun.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

I'm going to guess you don't have Bitterblossoms, either?

Off the top of my head because I made a few changes earlier:
2 inquisition of kozilek
3 thoughtseize
2 path
1 push
4 auriok champion
3 bitterblossom
4 intagible virtue
2 hidden stockpile
1 zealous persecution
1 generous gift
4 lingering souls
4 spectral procession
1 Kaya, orzhov usurper
3 Sorin, solemn visitor
2 secure the wastes

4 Marsh flats
1 white fetch
2 shambling vent
2 silent clearing
3 godless shrine
3 concealed courtyard
1 fetid heath
1 vault of the archangel
1 BLAST ZONE
1 swamp
4 plains

Side
2 rip
2 stony
1 runed halo
1/1 disen/nature's chant
1 path to exile
1 sorcerous spyglass
1 generous gift
1 ashiok
1 of that black creature that gives -1/-1
1 wrath o' god
1 burrenton forgetender
1 other card that I can't remember

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

mossyfisk posted:

Terrible gimmick format idea:

Standard, but Planeswalker Deck walkers cost 2 less to cast.

This makes me wonder what modern would be like without planeswalkers.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

resistentialism posted:

either initiative or celerite is haste but I doubt they both are

Célérité is haste, initiative is first strike.

Working in france was worth it I guess, though the french tend to call shock lands "rav lands"

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 7, 2019

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Turn one thoughtseized a guy yesterday and saw a bitterblossom and two assassin's trophies. I had two bitterblossoms in my hand.

It was a hilarious and fun game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It's fun. I eat poo poo against Tron, humans and spirits, but with a good hand it's surprisingly resilient against hardened scales and give jund and burn a decent matchup. Control is a really fun matchup. Hidden stockpile as a fun bit of tech can be really useful. I've had people destroy it in place of blossoms or intangible virtues.

Meddling mage and mantis riders demolished me last night, but 2 wins a draw and a loss seems to be where I end up quite often.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is this how it's supposed to happen? I'm bad at the rules:
1) Player A attacks with a 4/4 attacks
2) Player B blocks with 2 2/2s
3) Player A orders the blockers as "I'll hit creature 1, then 2" but doesn't assign damage yet
4) Player B gives +0/+3 to creature 1
5) Player A has to assign lethal damage to creature 1 (4 damage) before they can assign any to creature 2, so both creatures survive?

And 1 (declare attackers), 2 (declare blockers) and 5 (damage) are all combat steps which have a round of priority, but 3 (ordering blockers) is a part of the declare blockers step so there's no ability to cast spells between 2 and 3?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the reason someone like that is infecting your playgroup is that since wrenn and six legacy is now like 90% fair incremental value delver decks with four colors

Does that mean it's a bad time to build super budget legacy burn? My friends said to just take a modified modern deck, but my modern decks are barely worth it for modern.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This seems crazy strong

Looking forward to screwing myself trying to jam this in modern

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Still really wish this worked with tokens. Bitterblossom + this would be amazing.

suicidesteve posted:

It's no Plague Engineer, that's for sure.
Why is it worse? -3/-3 seems like it would wipe tribal decks, and most would have decent difficulty rebuilding.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

fadam posted:

It’s not necessarily worse, it’s just different. PE is cool because you can just plop it down whenever and get value from it, this card is more punishing but can be situationally less effective. The guy earlier in the thread who said that some decks will likely want one copy of both instead of two of either is right, I think.

Ah that makes sense. Guess I'll have to look for one when the set releases

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Still looking at some legacy stuff. Wouldn't be worth trying to convert my token list into legacy? I found this list which I have most of the modern pieces for. Maybe out in some vindicates and humility instead of land tax? Land tax looks like it's thee just to offset the pegasus token buyback.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1883300#paper

It doesn't seem like it does a lot of weird legacy stuff, which I think might be missing the point of legacy?

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kurtofan posted:

have some goats

It's goatnapping time! Goatnap your own goat tokens lol