Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Drunkboxer posted:

I recently downloaded Arena after not playing MTG since about 1998. Feeling like Rip Van Winkle here what with all the planeswalkers and sagas and dungeons and what have you. Where the gently caress are my beloved Erhnam Djinn?

I'm at the same point, but I at least had played a box league during the Dragon's Maze block ( Whatever that block was called I forget ) and some during Innistrad ( Holy poo poo this set was cool ). I knew that creatures got way better, but even after that ( 2012'13'ish ) but poo poo some of this stuff is ridiculous.

I'm playing some Arena, but I have that hankering for in person paper magic, so I'm updating a REAL poo poo Oona deck I made even before the box league. The deck was terrible and was made from taking some stuff from the Mimeoplasm deck ( Artifacts mostly ).

Hell, last time I was reading these threads a lot, 2 of the top posters had Elesh Norn avatars. No idea who they were, but that's how I knew who they were... I assume they both have new avatars at this point. ( One of them bought my Dark set from me, pretty much only for Blood Moon ;) if I recall correctly ).

Ordered a bundle of Modern Horizon's 2 since I'm a sucker, but bought my first fetch land finally. I feel like a real magic player now ( As I'm waiting on 1 Zendikar Exploration Polluted Delta ).

God drat fetch lands are so much more expansive than the shock lands!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
This reminds me, so I just got back into Magic with AFR and the whole concept of one and done sets blew my mind vs blocks, but that isn't my question, just a large change to me.

Colorless mana now has a graphic? Is it mechanically changed at all? Does anything legitimately require colorless mana be spent instead of a colored mana?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Chamale posted:

9 Eldrazi cards, also some activated abilities.

It broke Modern for a while because the new cheap Eldrazi made an incredible aggro deck with Eye of Ugin.

Thanks for the info and the link. Interesting, but what is the logic of having each set have a gimmick and then kill it?

At least with block, we had flip cards in the original Innistrad, and the guilds of Ravnica, etc.

Dungeons are in AFR, but it likely won't be explored more in the next Innistrad set, and the Learn mechanic is done with Strixhaven ( which I'm still learning ).

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Quick question - I tried to sell a card on ebay and I must have tripped some sort of flag because the listing was immediately removed and my account was suspended (lol?). Where do people sell cards these days that's not ebay? It's an unlimited Bayou if anyone happens to want it :D

TCG Player or our own MTG Buying/Selling Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Captain Invictus posted:

I work at UPS and the amount of cornhole setups that get ship to new england, especially massachusetts, is unreal.

As a NE Resident, Corn Hole is a staple of BBQ's.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Anyone have a reputable place that has the Gamegenic Watchtower or sidekick XL in stock? I can't seem to find one anywhere. I have a commander deck double sleeved with the sealable dragon shields and it doesn't fit my regular Watchtower.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
It would also be odd that she gives +1/+1 counters and then rely on an ability.

I bought the set of commander decks, haven't opened any other than dungeon delve as I was pulling three cards from it for my new commander deck and the cards together were most of the cost of the deck at the time.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I mean conjure kind of similarly exists with that new legendary commander that lets you create a token of old cards like the black lotus and such.

I'm concerned about the random aspects being thrown around though. As someone that left paper magic (standard) due to cost and friends interest for hearthstone. I'm back and can tell you the #1 complaint you hear about hearthstone is random effects.

Perpetual, conjure, these aren't terrible, the latter by far, but they make me apprehensive for all the slippery slope style arguments that are already starting.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

LifeLynx posted:

Stay strong with me until Innistrad spoilers, surely they're going to make it up to us with some spooky black cats.

Fingers crossed...

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Snooze, call me when they spoil vampires...

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

rickiep00h posted:

There were eight Vampires when I started playing, and only four were typed as Vampires at the time.

The only vampire I knew about when I started in revised was Sengir Vampire and he was amazing.

I love Olivia though.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I know cracking packs is a fools game, but there is something about that vampiric tutor foil I just got from commander legends that is so great. Going to add that to Oona.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

The Klowner posted:

What's the cutoff in price where selling on SA becomes not worth it? I have a bunch of cards ranging from 50 cents to $100, do I just stick everything less than $2 in a box and give it to an lgs?

It depends on you, but really if you look through your older U cards, make a generalized lot cost and you can probably offload it on SA.

Just make sure to look for tall money in there first. You can always just look for specific value cards first by using a site like Dawnglare.com to get a visual guide to the highest dollar take aways from a set.

I've bought and sold on SA for years and haven't had an issue. General magic sales are usually 10% under TCG low, and the buyer is generally asked to pay fees. That way everyone is as 'protected' as they can be. Hard case in a PWE has worked for me, but I've had people ship in cardboard taped together before.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 8, 2021

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Is there anywhere that shows the current reserve list with the current prices?

Something like Dawnglare's visualizer would be awesome, but I can't seem to find anything that just has the reserved list as a collection to query on. Individually going through the reserved list to be like "I think I remember that card" is just a pain in the rear end.

Just found out Vesuvan Doppleganger is on the list, and apparently she's like $50. Took the old copies I have out of the long box and sleeved them so they don't get worse!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Awesome, thank you so much!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

in my day we just drafted the actual block :smaug:

One thing I learned is flesh and blood intends to keep all sealed product permanently in print. imagine if you could get any amount of sealed boxes of any mainline set at msrp? I'd be drafting eventide every month!

I'm curious how long that can hold up at retail though.

They do have their 'Cold Foil' first release sets too.

Strong Sauce posted:

why would they remove reserve list. they are making money printing new cards already whereas "un"-reserving the list seems like a huge legal liability.

so you're hasbro what would you like to do?

1> continue printing money by generating new sets, release secret lairs, promoting online play.
2> announce you will be removing reserve list, get sued and fight a legal battle that will drain your resources while it winds its way through the court which may or may not disrupt your stock price. and even assuming they win, then what? they just have a whole bunch of angry people to reprint a narrow subset of the RL anyways.

How did they end up 'getting around' the reserve list with Karn and the Secret Lair anyway? I read somewhere that they had a loophole that they used with that printing which they later amended?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Aranan posted:

It's a super weird set for rarities. They only had commons and uncommons, but some cards would appear more or less frequently on the common and uncommon print sheets so they wound up being different rarities of c/u. The "most uncommon uncommons" are effectively rares. Sort of.

What a set.

Also booster packs were 8 cards (2 U, 6 C) and the slots would just be randomly filled so you could get a pack with no "rares" or a pack with two.

This is just how old non-core sets worked though. There weren't called out "Rares". Even in the Dark it breaks down like this:
40 C3, 1 Uncommon C1, 35@U1, 43@U2

It was C common, and U Uncommon with different levels of 'rarity' within them.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Tulul posted:

I still see "Gray Ogre" used as the reference for a 3-mana 2/2 and that card was last printed in 1995 in 4ED.

Most of the other archetypical namesakes haven't been printed in a long time, either. Both Grizzly Bears and Hill Giant were last printed in M10 (if you accept Runeclaw Bear, it was last in M15). Goblin Piker was in M12. Savannah Lions was in Masters 25, but its last non-Master reprint was 9ED.

I mean, the game has power level creeped past vanilla bears/lions/Hill Giants for the most part though.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Anyone have a suggestion for a good modern infect? I assume green, but I had a mono black Skittles infect during scars block constructed still kicking around if that is useful.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Chakan posted:

They play blighted agent and inkmoth nexus, along with a pretty unique suite of pump spells. I don't think glistener elf is still played, and Skittles does not see play. If you wanted to use it, a control shell with a 4/4 flying infect haste might work but probably there are better finishers.

e: looked a little into it and it seems glistener elf is still played sometimes. Looks like ignoble hierarch helped the deck a fair bit?

Thanks for that link, I haven't used the site before. I actually have a lot of the top decks cards already, but of course, the fetches are going to kill me.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Apparently my LGS is getting convention edition Mystery booster boxes in, I'm thinking for the $300 I'm getting one. They do a $10 for each $100 spent so it's a net $270 for the box.

Gotta look up how the convention exclusive cards work in it though, how many per box and all

Found a news story actually https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/mystery-booster-convention-edition-returns-store-events-2021-06-21

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 19, 2021

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

If you wanna play Infect specifically the Modern builds are generally Green/Blue or Green/Black. They're usually low to the ground, around 12-16 total creatures, and like 19-20 land. Both run the cast of Glistener Elf, Inkmoth Nexus, your supporting Hierarch(Noble if Blue, Ignoble if Black), a wide array of various pump spells/protection spells(Scale Up, Might of Old Krosa, Groundswell, Become Immense, Blossoming Defense, Mutagenic Growth, Snakeskin Veil in various numbers). From there Blue gives you Blighted Agent(generally the "best" Infect creature since unblockable) and a few other tweaks like Spell Pierce or other SB counterspells. Black gives you Plague Stinger as your additional evasive Infect creature, disruption in the form of discard ala Thoughtseize and some removal ala Fatal Push in your 75, and currently, for the general Modern meta, Phyrexian Crusader. Who while expensive in the context of normal Modern Infect, is powerful enough at the moment(as a lot of the decks are running around with primarily White and/or Red creatures and removal) to be worth running.

There's also Hammer Time as DangerDongs mentioned, which has the same "Hit you for a bunch out of nowhere" feel, while also being an overall better deck at the moment, but isn't specifically Infect(even if it does run and kill with Inkmoth often enough).

I had mono-black infect, so things like the crusader/stingers I already own, so I think I'll be going down that road. Seeing the prices of Inkmoth Nexus floored me, and I'm glad I already have those as well. Of all things, I THINK I need to pick up more of the sub $1 cards like the elf and such ironically.

I haven't seen things like Invigorate which seems odd?

rickiep00h posted:

...what did they get upset about?

The Elesh Norn was printed in foil phyrexian for a special judge promo, and now it's also in a secret lair, which takes away the majesty of the judge promo since it's way more widely available.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 19, 2021

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

neaden posted:

Invigorate isn't modern legal, you need to play legacy infect for that.

Ah, I thought it was in a Modern Horizons reprint, my mistake. Thanks!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Anyone have recommendations on a binder? I want to avoid the ringed binders due to wanting to avoid the rings dinging cards.

I have an old monster binder and it does not lay flat when filled with cards.

Would rather have the non replaceable, side loading pages than any others.

Reviews seem to be all over the place though, with everyone contradicting each other.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
It was posted in the twitter thread, but my favorite is still "Three explores"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrXESPkyMQ8

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

This card is my spirit animal....

Of note, new promo codes I didn't see posted here at all:
PARCELMYR - Some Exp, like 2k gold, was added like a week or two ago? No idea when it expires, just saw it today.

SCALEUP - The actual code just released that I saw today, gives 3k exp, expires just before Midnight Hunt releases, so you can't wait for the new track to get a head start.

E: Oh yeah, and cheap gems in the store!

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 8, 2021

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So they're are several cards that state, if it is not day or night, then it becomes X.

What do we need to trigger the cycle to start, any day bound creature? Or something that starts the cycle?

Turn one, land, go, it doesn't become night immediately, since there is nothing that cares about it?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Squinky v2.0 posted:

If you host a podcast, you take the money.

Overpriced underwear, meal boxes, mattresses, stuff for shaving your balls, couches, crypto - gently caress it. Get paid. You’re not better than that.

Don't forget pillows, headphones and suitcases with built in chargers!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Gramps posted:

I'm pretty new to the thread since I just started playing again but I would LOVE to actually talk about magic.

What's your favorite deck you ever played? This probably won't paint me in the best light but I played magnivore in Kami/Rav standard. That poo poo was not nice at all.

As a kiss I played so much random jank, including a obnoxious blue deck with all the great traps, like Quash, Spelljack, etc.

My favorite though was when I was a bit older, scars block constructed. Mono black infect with Skittles/livewire lash/inkmoth Nexus.

I'm working on getting it updated to BG modern infect now, but so many fetch lands are necessary, and most weren't in MH2.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Lone Goat posted:

Probably about 6 weeks, maybe a couple early spoils a week or two before that

We actually may get a "mistake" card in the prerelease for the next set like we did for midnight hunt.

Was that in a random pack or prerelease that we got that legendary in, I can't recall. It was will before spoiler season restarted though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Well, that's a card ruined in my head now.