Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sampatrick posted:

They really do just want everyone to play standard

Well, yeah. Wizards doesn't really see much money from modern either (mh 1 being an exception) so it doesn't surprise me that we're going to see some sort of tax on playing historic so that they still see pack sales from it. It's just being done in the shittiest possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ilmucche posted:

Are 2-3 colour decks a huge problem compared to monocolour decks? I thought it had more to do with shuffling.

Also, the only competitive five color deck in modern right now doesn’t use fetches. The problem is they wreck standard while they are in it, not that they wreck modern. The issue in modern is that most decks need them, and they are incredibly expensive right now.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

smertrioslol posted:

What’s everyone playing tonight for modern FNM?

I am in the backwater of LA for work, and nothing is within 75 miles on the locator besides a draft event. Bletch.

I plan on giving humans another go when I get back to civilization. I’m a bit worried about how it lines up with tron an SFM, but the way to see it is to play it. I think I heard some good things about some equipment from Kamigawa block that kills other equipment. That gives you some better counterplay when someone drops batterskull turn 3.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ilmucche posted:

Is a 4/4 lifelinker attached to a 0/0 token really that dangerous? it can be pushed easily, and batterskull costs 5 to replay with stoneforge

It provides UW control an early clock, and you have to have stuff to deal with it in an Aggro deck like humans or you have a bad day. But with the manruki in the side, you have reflector, freebooter, deputy, plus dismember and effectively image in the side. also mage if you slam it on SFM instead of path. That’s 10ish cards main plus 6 side. And you have Teeg in the side to lock tron and control out of their payoff spells.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Clowner posted:

Just ban fetch lands and shock lands. What's the worst that could happen

Hurts Jund, burn, and control. Does nothing about tron or creature tribal. So basically some of the best decks get dropped, but so do a ton of other decks.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterrupterJones posted:

Most recent list of Modern 5-0 decks

Lots of interesting stuff, including but not limited to:

ONE Humans 5-0 list.
Isn’t only one list per archetype common once the deck is standardized? I thought that wotc doesn’t show decks that aren’t different by a bunch of cards, so you do not see the same thing with different sideboards.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hellsau posted:

Yeah gotta be 20 cards different.

That's why you only get one dredge/burn/humans deck per dump, right? Because those are very mature decks, meaning that at the top level 56-60 cards are set. Dredge right now is trying to replace looting, but it was almost always 100% set in the mainboard before.

I did see a dump with two humans decks once, but it was when people were trying out that Jeskai version with Kessig malcontents and lightning bolts. So a very different humans deck. SFM is all over the place because lots of people are jamming it in lots of places, to lots of different results. Eventually most of these will die off when someone solves the SFM deck again and we get 1-3 strong places to put it.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sampatrick posted:

Burn is owning the Open lmao

It's one of my favorite decks. Other dudes get to build their sandcastles and goldfish their gameplans while you start rabbit punching them in the junk on turn one. It's the muscle wizard of magic decks.

EDIT: Also, removing decks like phoenix or especially dredge remove a lot of ability to play under burn. It always feels bad when you're running a fast deck and someone just plays under you effortlessly. Looting being gone means that several decks that tried to play under you just can't now.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 1, 2019

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

??? Three burn decks in the top 8, 0 total SFMs. Whirrza did win it, which shouldn't be a surprise given how well it was doing during Hogaak summer.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rinkles posted:

sarcasm from a sfm enthusiast

Gotcha. Sorry about that.

I did notice humans got proper hosed. Either playstyle or decks are probably going to have to change. Luckily, the cardpool is huge for that deck, and aggro with control elements seems like something that should still be valid.

EDIT: Burn doing well in a format where people wanted to try out midrange isn't surprising to me. It's effectively spell aggro, so you end up just killing them before their deck does it's thing more often than not. It also has easy play patterns to get down, so there are a lot less misplays on it than most other decks. I always felt like I had a fighting chance with it at FNM, except in those situations where people just stacked their decks against it.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 2, 2019

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Star Man posted:

Plague Engineer is a mother fucker of a card.

Yup. I figure it's going to hurt tribal decks for a long time. Humans doesn't have much of a way to stop it outside of meddling mage or just growing the board before it shows up.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sickening posted:

I legit didn't know Tome Scour existed. I doubt this will actually end up lasting but its at least hilarious atm.

Discard 5 is pretty strong as a starting move for dredge. You are only looking for a dredger or two in the graveyard before it's off to the races, so this might do it.

I just find it funny because so many people raged against graveyard decks to the point where the best graveyard card for banned, and now a graveyard deck wins something right afterwards.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

little munchkin posted:

anyone who's had a dredge player cast cathartic reunion against them knows that the card is 100% worth the red splash

Plus the win con for the deck is often conflagrate, which is only cast for value from the graveyard, and this needs two red Mana. You can't trim the red from the deck no matter what. Adding blue seems smarter, since it means that things like narcomeba can be cast from hand instead of being a truly dead card.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mossyfisk posted:

I would rather concede than hardcast a narcomoeba, though I cannot speak for other dredge players.

It's more for prized amalgam, but i think having the option to get it out so it can die, go to the graveyard, then get out on top of your deck via a this is better than just sitting in hand and being dead weight.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShadeofBlue posted:

In my experience of playing Mardu, Esper and Grixis Shadow once each, Grixis is the most fun version. Lots of cantrips, can go fast or grindy, basically a perfect deck. Mardu just feels like it doesn’t get anywhere to me. Although playing white does make it reasonable to run unearth with Ranger-Captain as a good target, which is cool.

That's the deck right there. Ranger-captain to tutor death's shadow, then sac it to time walk your opponent. Cast unearth on the ranger-captain afterward to do the cycle all over again, picking up a death's shadow. It's like traverse except with a body and a control effect. The deck is really Orzhov + Temur battle rage, which helps out with the mana fixing. Plus you can do dumb things like use hex parasite to exactly dial the shadows in to the right P/T on the fly. I'm kind of surprised we never saw much hex parasite in GDS/TDS, because it seems custom designed to work with the deck's primary win condition.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vaah posted:

Lmao gently caress you knights

Is that meaningful tribal hate for modern too? It might be okay, but I’m not sure if it h ate out and plague engineer.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sampatrick posted:

WotC is going to gently caress up and print an artifact with etb destroy target enchantment and ruin Modern

Why would that ruin modern?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tubgoat posted:

Because then Mox Opal would get banned, followed by whatever takes over in the wake of the bannings stemming from that.

Since looting is already gone, I don't see why the other problem enablers (ancient stirrings and mox opal mainly) should still be legal. If people really want "fair" magic, all the gimmick quick game stuff should be gone. I don't think modern would be fun as the collection of midrange piles that would result, but if we're going to ban one quick enabler, all of them should go.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sampatrick posted:

Whir of invention or goblin engineer tutoring an answer to Stony is broken

That's what was missing. Anything that makes that decks better is bad for the game, I agree.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ilmucche posted:

Hoping deafening silence doesn't see play, otherwise rip tokens.

It might only have legs in modern, but that appears to be the breakout card for the set so far. So many decks get nuked by a 1 CMC enchantment (basically, anything that resembles a spells or combo deck right now) that I can't help but think it's going to show up in almost every sideboard of a deck that can support it.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elyv posted:

given the name and the fact that one of our characters is planeswalker who makes things into elk, I'm guessing this is a story moment

It's out of the story when the king is turned into a stag.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I need a copy of that card with Bob Kraft’s O face on it.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there serious talk about making MTG open list?

It was brought up at the random LGS I was playing at this week as something that was being worked on by wizards. Is this just stupid shop talk? I know it was done at high level events, but it seems like something that would really change small stuff like FNM a lot. I've been playing humans recently, and being able to name meddling mage more accurately against rogue decks seems very strong.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hellsau posted:

Scouting is awful. Open lists eliminates scouting, but also hinders rogue decks and offbeat maindeck inclusions, boosts narrow powerful hate cards in maindecks, and boosts cards like Meddling Mage and Pithing Needle.

Scouting is a really horrible necessity, where it's a bunch of wasted effort that should go toward playing Magic, so I'm all for eliminating scouting, and it seems like open decklists are the easiest way to accomplish that.

I agree that is true at the competitive level. I'm talking about that going down to the fnm level. I know part of the issue is that it's another thing to make people do, which is a barrier for more casual players. But I come from a wargames background, where you needed to make a list every time you played.

I do know it's a shot in the arm for humans. Last night I boarded out mms twice because I was playing against decks if never seen before (ponza and some sort of very bad rogue) and had no idea what to name. But I guess I am short of already scouting at my normal lgs, seeing as I play a lot of the same people with the same decks pretty consistently.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Star Man posted:

Presenting decklists implies decklist registration.

It would make people check their own decks a bit, which whole kind of annoying would stop situations like when I played a guy doing scapeshift but forgot to put scapeshifts into his deck. Might be one of the few times where being at 56 cards was fully detrimental.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tubgoat posted:

Looks like. Wish I had 32 mythic and rare wildcards.

Is it worthwhile to make a deck for a meta that's going away in under a week? The Sultai Midrange list I saw seems super spicy, and I have enough wilds right now to do it even before any of the ICRs or packs from the ELD release.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tibalt posted:

The comic book comparison is a bit flawed as well. The comic book bubble was in part due to collectors and speculation - most of the demand for magic cards seems to be driven by actual play, even in formats like vintage and legacy.

I dunno. I do see some stuff that makes me feel worried ( mainly securitization of cards via crypto) but that stuff is mocked by the mtg finance guys, so I’m hoping it dies quickly.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I’m explicitly only talking about rares. Individual mythics are rare enough that scarcity can drive their price up even in the era of massive print runs

4feri hit $20? Time to get a set, because those aren’t ever getting cheaper than that. Same with Lil Feri, though I don’t ever see anyone using a full set in modern.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Katana Gomai posted:

It is a scam, Rudy made a video about it. Basically idiots paying for "shares" of RL cards on eBay because idiots and their money yada yada

That’s where I heard about it from. Literally laughed until I cried, because the whole thing is like a Russian doll of stupid ideas. Somehow, I think crypto isn’t the stupidest part of the puzzle for once.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PleasantDirge posted:

Foils are great because I have no practical use for them and other people want to pay dumb amounts of money for some of them, everyone is a winner.

I feel sad for you if you want to play with foils though, it's not feasible for only the cheapest and laziest of reasons. I would also be heated about it

Yup. Done it twice now. No idea how a card goes from 5 to 300 because it’s alt art and foil, but I’ll 100% take a bunch of cash and find a copy of the regular card to play with. It was something like half the cost of my humans deck from a promo pack.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ilmucche posted:

A guy cracked a foil wrenn and six at my lgs. His plan was to sell it and buy three normal ones

That’s the biggest win I could think of from MH1. And W&6 is one of those cards I kick myself for not getting a play set of day 1.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hellsau posted:

Manaless Dredge is just not real Magic, it's some nightmare universe MTG deck.

Now you're making me want to play it on a lark since I have all of the expensive cards already. Just say go fish or something whenever you discard something.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 25, 2019

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Since the place I'm doing modern at is trying to do standard showdown and is heavily incentivizing it (i.e. you get good payouts even for losing) I'm thinking about throwing together a jank standard deck for a couple of bucks to try out. Does UR draw twice seem at all playable? A bunch of ironcraeg pyromancers could be doing a free bolt every turn plus card selection, which might not be great but could be playable. Plus I have the poor man's landbase (just the shocks, and a few temples) and an embercleave from draft. Does this sound incredibly stupid, or just the normal kind of bad that you can waddle through showdown with?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chadzok posted:

loving hell, all that needs is for the two funerals to be 2 Revenge of Ravens. Wish I got pick orders like that. My only Folio deck so far struggled to find other mill engines, 2 merfolk and no apprentices >:(

Yeah, I was 2-1 in my draft with a really poor RB knight pile last night. The only thing that had me win the two matches I did was revenge of ravens and the black knight that does damage when stuff dies. the look the dude's face when he realized stolen by the fae just created more counters for me to kill was priceless. A board of 2/2 and 1/1 flyers just can't meaningfully attack through that. If I could have managed a second one in that pool I'd never have gotten close to losing a match.

Is that card just a draft all star, or is it actually constructed playable in things like Unlucky Fried Kitten?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sit on my Facebook posted:

Mox Opal is marked for death. It is known

Yup. The main thing keeping me from even thinking about that deck is the high likelihood of a ban of expensive cards. Ancient stirrings or faithless looting would set you back under $10 for a playset. Mox Opal is $450 for your playset. That's too much risk on an obvious ban target. I don't expect it next announcement tomorrow, but it'll be soon unless someone finds a solution to the Urza family of decks rather quickly.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tubgoat posted:

So if this thread were Wizards of the Coast, what besides Mox Opal's getting banned next time?

We should be banning ancient stirrings and manamorphose at the same time. If people want to turn the format into midrange FTW, than the need to get rid of all the efficient cheat cards.

EDIT: Maybe a couple of the other insane enablers like once upon a time, but I'm not sure it's good enough to be an issue if stirrings is gone.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 7, 2019

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Standard's selection of Giants is pretty sad outside of Realm-Cloaked itself. Just Bonecrusher and maybe Yorvo.

Also tall as a beanstalk, which I thought was the stealth advantage of the card.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elyv posted:

excited for an Actual Banning in 2 weeks

So we need itshappening.gif, but with Urza instead of Ron Paul.

I guess I should also enjoy the Golos fields deck on MTGA for as long as I can, because something it it is getting trashed at a minimum.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it’s field lol

it has better also be astrolabe in pauper, but who knows. I wouldn’t necessarily bet against urza either— I don’t think it’s necessarily a needed ban, but after they got burned on hogaak they’re not gonna gently caress around banning something else.

Is Urza the problem in Whirrza? The obvious hit is astrolabe and mox opal, since a cantrip with continued value and fast mana seems to be a lot of the issue with the deck. It also gives them a chance to kill all the cheats in modern at once, which should have been done since the other have really taken over now that looting is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C-Euro posted:

It's maybe more of a UW Fliers deck with the eagle lord from M20 and Judge's Familiar?

Maybe? Looking at the Bant Spirits stuff I just picked up, the things you lose are nobles, drogskul captain, and path. Your mana base sucks more now, but you still get to spin the coco wheel. Plus, the big hoser for tribal decks (plague engineer) is now gone. So I'm thinking those two, but who know what you replace path with. There's nothing as clean for removal now-- locked in a tower maybe? It sucks, but it's the closest removal effect I could think of.

I am sad that my starting deck (burn) is completely dead in this new format. You lose goblin guide, lava spike, rift bolt, and lightning bolt. Who will be the fun police if not burn? I guess a bunch of stuff from recent RDW standard implementations could work, but it still feels like you lose too much to put a decent four turn clock on people.

I'd be great if somebody figures out how to get a janky five color gates deck working in this format. I loved that lovely deck, and it might be okay between the board wipes, absurd life gain, and alternate win condition.