Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

CptAwesome posted:

Hey guys, my friend has her first PIP assessment appointment this week. Could anyone point me in the direction of some good resources about how to prepare or what poo poo to expect them to pull?

Look up the charity for the condition that caused your friend to apply for PIP, they will usually have specific guidance.

For example, Mind has a lot of sample statements for mental health stuff. I found this very helpful, as there was a lot of stuff that I've just accepted as part of life and wouldn't have thought to mention.

e: catte

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

CptAwesome posted:

Hey guys, my friend has her first PIP assessment appointment this week. Could anyone point me in the direction of some good resources about how to prepare or what poo poo to expect them to pull?

Don't wash, don't make eye contact. Go in your pyjamas and odd socks, and maybe douse yourself in some cheap cider first.

If not making eye contact isn't working, make too much eye contact instead.

If you can avoid going, do that. Just showing up can be grounds for failure.

Good luck.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

After another five years of Tory government and no-deal Brexit, £10.50 will be barely enough to pay for a tenth of a pint of beer. And by then all beer will be recycled five times in Baron Farage's Freedom Vats.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

all beer will be recycled five times in Baron Farage's Freedom Vats.

ah I see you're familiar with Wetherspoons

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Nettle Soup posted:

Don't wash, don't make eye contact. Go in your pyjamas and odd socks, and maybe douse yourself in some cheap cider first.

If not making eye contact isn't working, make too much eye contact instead.

If you can avoid going, do that. Just showing up can be grounds for failure.

Good luck.

Yeah very much do not "dress up smart" or anything because if you do that then it's evidence you can work.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Question:

If we're supposed to be GLOBAL BRITAIN, why didn't we have an entry in the Mr Global beauty pageant?

Also I think i'm gay now

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Also I think i'm not gay now

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

And by then all beer will be recycled five times in Baron Farage's Freedom Vats.

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

CptAwesome posted:

If you have to turn up in person, make sure to bring a chaperone who you know and trust. Say you wouldn't be able to make it in without the lift they gave you.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah very much do not "dress up smart" or anything because if you do that then it's evidence you can work.

My jeans had a hole in the crotch. Smelly faded band shirt. My oldest trainers with holes in the soles. Didn't shave, trim beard or cut my hair for 5 months.

Report says: "Well kempt, casually dressed"

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

mehall posted:

Labour have committed to linking the minimum wage to cost of living so it gets regular increases unrelated to day-to-day political decision making

Yeah that's super important. If minimum wage is not pegged to cost of living then you end up with wanker politicians arguing over how much to cut it in real terms but presented as generosity.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CptAwesome posted:

Turn up - not showing up makes it really fuckin easy for someone in an ATOS office to say "just a piss taking wastrel, not actually sick". You are your own best evidence.

If they don't get it, definitely get the claimant to put forward a mandatory reconsideration and get the CAB onside plus anyone else they have ever worked with - if your MR goes through you will get backpaid PIP from the time you made the original claim.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

jBrereton posted:

Turn up - not showing up makes it really fuckin easy for someone in an ATOS office to say "just a piss taking wastrel, not actually sick". You are your own best evidence.

If they don't get it, definitely get the claimant to put forward a mandatory reconsideration and get the CAB onside plus anyone else they have ever worked with - if your MR goes through you will get backpaid PIP from the time you made the original claim.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but almost 90% of decisions are maintained at mandatory reconsideration. If you're turned down then a tribunal is your most likely recourse.

I'm at 5 weeks after asking for reconsideration, so another 5 weeks to wait before they inevitably tell me to go away and I have to get in the queue for a tribunal. CAB have told me to expect the whole process to take around a year from my initial application

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Question:

If we're supposed to be GLOBAL BRITAIN, why didn't we have an entry in the Mr Global beauty pageant?

Also I think i'm gay now

Of. loving. Course.

Chaser.

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 30, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Can't fool me - these are all the Pillar men from Jojo's. :colbert:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 30, 2019

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I loved his films with Spiderwoman

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tarnop posted:

My jeans had a hole in the crotch. Smelly faded band shirt. My oldest trainers with holes in the soles. Didn't shave, trim beard or cut my hair for 5 months.

Report says: "Well kempt, casually dressed"

Should have worn a bin bag

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Should have worn a bin bag

"Able to afford latest eccentric fashions."
Or
"Not spending money on clothes, therefore clearly has some money saved up to spend on luxuries such as rent, or food. DENIED".

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Contracting out decisions on state benefits to some private company is a pretty poo poo idea honestly

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Contracting out decisions on state benefits to some private company is a pretty poo poo idea honestly

Not if your objective is to kill poor people

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/dcakraemer/status/1178658460986159104?s=21

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Don't these people have PR people on what to say and not what to say lol

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The beeb have reversed the Naga Munchetty decision.

The (single) complaint that kicked it all off is also very gammony.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

If the tories are still in power in 5 years time then something has gone horribly wrong and we are in the darkest timeline.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Meanwhile the Guardian continues to think that the government was merely misinformed when they set up Universal Credit, rather than a deliberate and callous attempt to keep people off benefits by making them utterly miserable.

The Guardian posted:

The shocking failings of universal credit are justly blamed on the government having listened to the wrong people when setting it up.

They do actually endorse Labour's plan, so baby steps I guess.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tarnop posted:

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but almost 90% of decisions are maintained at mandatory reconsideration. If you're turned down then a tribunal is your most likely recourse.

I'm at 5 weeks after asking for reconsideration, so another 5 weeks to wait before they inevitably tell me to go away and I have to get in the queue for a tribunal. CAB have told me to expect the whole process to take around a year from my initial application
Also if your friend does get to MR then ask for a copy of the evidence/report from the DWP before you actually make the request. Did that with mine and I was able to directly point out the bullshit and lies that the assessor had scribbled down, which made it much easier to make my case, and I was in that lucky small percentage whose MR was accepted as a result. (Favourite part: Claimed I was able to do the interview assessment without trouble, had to remind them that the FIRST assessment was stopped after about four minutes because the nurse was concerned for my wellbeing to the point that she called my doctor and arranged an emergency appointment on the spot)

Assure your friend they'll almost certainly get what they are owed, it just takes having the endurance to overcome the obstacles and deliberate lies.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wachter posted:

Not if your objective is to kill poor people

Or give tax money to your mates who run said private companies.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it rules that it rains like one cm and half the tube lines are delayed

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

u brexit ukip it posted:

Meanwhile the Guardian continues to think that the government was merely misinformed when they set up Universal Credit, rather than a deliberate and callous attempt to keep people off benefits by making them utterly miserable.

They do actually endorse Labour's plan, so baby steps I guess.

Listening to Ian Duncan Smith is definitely listening to the wrong people. I doubt that's what they were going for though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

quote:

A spokesperson for the broadcaster said: “The appeal to the ECU focused on comments by one presenter, but the statement from the executive team on Friday is clear – the BBC is not impartial on racism. Racism is not an opinion and it is not a matter for debate. Racism is racism. Naga has the very clear support of the top of the organisation.”

:meowth:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So this... thing... is going round Reddit. Definitely don't look at it unless you're willing to use some serious brain bleach, but it's a pretty good description of Brexit as a whole, with bonus points for using crochet as a medium for political satire.

:nws: :nms: Link :nms: :nws:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, mild e/n I guess, so apologies in advance, but I need to write this somewhere. On Friday my pregnant partner calls the NHS with complaints of pains and bleeding.

On Sunday we have an appointment for an ultrasound and within a few hours we've had a diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy, blood tests, support and guidance on next steps.

We've been looked after by both nurses and doctors at every step.

An appointment is made for us to come back in on Tuesday to take a medical approach over surgery.

At lunchtime today there were complications. My partner rings the hospital and is seen immediately for a followup scan. The medical route isn't an option any more and, within hours, she's in a ward and being prepared for surgery, which she's going in for later tonight.

The nurses have looked after us this whole time and everyone's been super supportive.

I'm posting this via their free WiFi and there's not going to be a huge bill for any of this when she's hopefully back home tomorrow evening.

So gently caress the Tories for jeopardising any of this or for anyone who complains about the NHS being poo poo. I can't imagine how worse this would be if we were somewhere like the US.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sorry bud, glad she's getting looked after though. Bet you're glad the Tories invented the NHS right now huh!

also I don't think anyone posted this bit of detail

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1178677093607051271

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

CptAwesome posted:

From previous experience, EVERYTHING is a test. The uncomfy chairs in the waiting area, the amount of time you’ll have to wait, the length of the corridor, the steps up; the whole thing is designed to catch people out in “a lie”.

Never mind if they’re having a good day or a bad day, if you can walk down that particular length of corridor unaided and maintain a decent level of eye contact with your interviewer, you are getting marked down severely.

Absolutely gently caress everyone who works in those places, I hope their every sleep is a constant parade of nightmares.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Also I think i'm gay now

Ah, Tory Power Stance.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Kin posted:

So, mild e/n I guess, so apologies in advance, but I need to write this somewhere. On Friday my pregnant partner calls the NHS with complaints of pains and bleeding.

Sorry to hear my dude, hope it all works out and is just a scare.

Also is Mr. Sri Lanka also Mr. USA? They look very similar (seriously, this is not a racism joke or anything like that)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Promising to just sack off the entire DWP and start afresh is one of the best things Labour has ever proposed.

Sending my best wishes to Kin, I hope everything goes well bud.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Beautiful Sri Lanka man is a breath of fresh air after all this bojo news

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

quidditch it and quit it posted:

From previous experience, EVERYTHING is a test. The uncomfy chairs in the waiting area, the amount of time you’ll have to wait, the length of the corridor, the steps up; the whole thing is designed to catch people out in “a lie”.

Never mind if they’re having a good day or a bad day, if you can walk down that particular length of corridor unaided and maintain a decent level of eye contact with your interviewer, you are getting marked down severely.

Absolutely gently caress everyone who works in those places, I hope their every sleep is a constant parade of nightmares.

Seconding this

I had a DLA assessment in the 90s when I was paralyzed in all 4 limbs, on the first floor of a building with no lift and got picked up on how I got up there. I crocodile crawled with what little strength I had in my shoulders and hips, panicking about being late the whole way.

If they were picky about that then I can only imagine how much worse it is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Promising to just sack off the entire DWP and start afresh is one of the best things Labour has ever proposed.

Boy howdy that paragraph changes meaning a lot if you misread the fourth word slightly.