Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Eschenique posted:

I heard hard materials was bad for that because the neutrons just ricochets off them and becomes even angrier.
Nah neutrons don't interact much with anything because they're net zero charge. It's the charged particles that interact strongly with dense things like lead, and sometimes interact so strongly that the collision will give off x-rays. Neutrons will mostly sail through.

Waxes, water, etc. are better at moderating them so that they slow down and maybe throw off a proton, which is charged and fat and so shortish range.

e: cat snipe

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Had a dream where the General was going to be on October 31st.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ms Adequate posted:

Where did he put his handies?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ms Adequate posted:

I'd be very down for a Halloween election if it wasn't also the deadline.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I’ve got the perfect costume for Halloween: DISGRUNTLED LABOUR VOTER

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Last halloween I would've gone as a ghoul but Blair's estate threatened to sue.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

This thread has been on good form with the book recommendations, thanks for extending my backlog.

The climate book I'm reading suggests that my backlog might need trimming by about 90%

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Diet Crack posted:

I’ve got the perfect costume for Halloween: DISGRUNTLED LABOUR VOTER

Two giant walking arse cheeks with a BXP rosette, go as the "I'M NOT RACIST BUTT"

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Hey guys, my friend has her first PIP assessment appointment this week. Could anyone point me in the direction of some good resources about how to prepare or what poo poo to expect them to pull?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CptAwesome posted:

Hey guys, my friend has her first PIP assessment appointment this week. Could anyone point me in the direction of some good resources about how to prepare or what poo poo to expect them to pull?

Always speak from the perspective of your worst day. Benefits and Work has lots of useful advice on how assessments work and how they're scored.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Planning permit and construction regulations are different things, but let me take a wild guess: when the need for planning permits is removed and all property owners will right away start designing their Grovertowers, local authorities don't have sufficient resources to check if building regulations are being followed.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
lol nice everyone gets to be a loving slumlord now

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean it also relies on young people simultaneously wanting to accumulate capital, while also accepting that they will never be paid fairly or be able to afford a house.

My intended implication was that trying harder to paper over the cracks without changing anything is as far as almost anyone at that conference would be willing to go ;)

Braggart fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 30, 2019

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Nenonen posted:

Planning permit and construction regulations are different things, but let me take a wild guess: when the need for planning permits is removed and all property owners will right away start designing their Grovertowers, local authorities don't have sufficient resources to check if building regulations are being followed.

This reminded me that enterprising capitalists are buying up the rights to the air above certain properties, I believe for the reason that at some point they could develop new floors on top. Some houses near me have sold theirs, flat roof houses so I mean, technically doable I guess

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Also, big loving wild guess as to who will benefit disproportionately over that law

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

forkboy84 posted:

Where did he put his handies?

On a female journalist's thigh.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Guavanaut posted:

The proposed deal is Norway+ which keeps the Irish border fluid.

The border fluid is stored in the Ballymena.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pochoclo posted:

lol nice everyone gets to be a loving slumlord now

~equality~

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

If you build another floor on top of your house and rent it out to someone, are they allowed to build another floor on top and rent it to someone else?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, I've heard of plans to pair up electrolysis plants with existing natural gas power stations for load balancing - it's not as efficient as other forms of storage but it does allow you to leverage a load of existing infrastructure.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2206546-uk-could-use-hydrogen-instead-of-natural-gas-if-it-can-make-enough/

quote:

Hydrogen can be made from water using renewable energy and an electrolyser. But the IET said that in reality making it at scale would require using a process known as steam reformation to turn methane into hydrogen, and capturing and storing the carbon at that point.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

tritsch posted:

Has anyone posted this yet? Kate Hoey speaking at the Tory conf.

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1178319779918155776?s=20

A conference by and for the wealthy has better-dressed attendees you say? :monocle:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Plagiarism, gently caress off Javid you prat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49881980

“Tory conference: National Living Wage to rise to £10.50, says chancellor”

It’s not a bad thing, but it’s totally a jerk reaction to labour calling for £10 min wage.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So it's

Guavanaut posted:

You can get it by spraying water onto hot coals, but I'm not sure we want to do more of that really, even though it is a clean process (by coal standards).
but with a starting feedstock that's already natural gas and with some Matrix style 'combined with a form of fusion' going on.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

marktheando posted:

If you build another floor on top of your house and rent it out to someone, are they allowed to build another floor on top and rent it to someone else?

This must be a Trashfuture start up already

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

We already latch on the udders of cows to draw their milk, so why don’t we just shove a hose up the bovine butts and extract all that methane?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Diet Crack posted:

We already latch on the udders of cows to draw their milk, so why don’t we just shove a hose up the bovine butts and extract all that methane?

Because they burp/breathe most of it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

Britain 2030 will just be this but flammable cladding instead of decoration

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

marktheando posted:

It's landlords all the way up.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Because they burp/breathe most of it.

Face mask with tube, duh

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

It’s not a bad thing, but it’s totally a jerk reaction to labour calling for £10 min wage.

it kind of is a bad thing in that the Tory "National Living Wage" is not actually a living wage, it's just the old minimum wage except they renamed it so they could pretend that people were getting paid more

currently a living wage is £9 outside London or £10.50 inside

and the Tory plan is for the rise to take place over 5 years so even by the time it reaches £10.50 it'll still be less than an actual living wage

(also assuming the Tories actually carry out their manifesto pledges which :lol:)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

It also doesn't solve the fact that greedy wankers will immediately put the price of everything up to either take advantage or to price the poor out of their areas.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

When I said bad I meant it hasn’t been decreased lol, because that sounds like something the tories would do.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

When I said bad I meant it hasn’t been decreased lol, because that sounds like something the tories would do.

It will be a decrease when you consider what £10.50 will be worth in five years

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It also doesn't solve the fact that greedy wankers will immediately put the price of everything up to either take advantage or to price the poor out of their areas.

As a bit of good news most businesses aren't powerful enough or calculating enough to take full advantage of changes like this, even when it's openly announced in advance - businesses will experience some immediate cost increases and attempt to maintain profit levels but that's driven by how many minimum wage staff they have, not by a total awareness of the incomes of their customers. It's why stuff like UBI is going to be primarily taken by landlords but still offer some increases to quality of life for people, only because this is even more abstract then it's harder to take advantage of directly.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Diet Crack posted:

Since it's a raise to £10.50 over 5 years, compare it with Labour's £10+ starting next year, which is supposed to be a real wage, so increasing with inflation. If it is, then using constant 1.8% CPI, Labour's comes out ahead at £10.93 by 2025. So again, the Tories are being poo poo.

(ed: confirmed real wage from Labour)

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 30, 2019

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah, let's just not loving bother and leave the minimum wage where it is.

Labour have committed to linking the minimum wage to cost of living so it gets regular increases unrelated to day-to-day political decision making

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/1178691806005022720?s=20

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Diet Crack posted:

Would laugh if they actually proposed £10.01

E: oh god, remember the "a penny off your pint" policy :rolleyes:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CptAwesome posted:

Captain Fargle talked a lot his experience with PIP in episode 3 of the UKMT podcast. There's also a link to a bunch of advice from Ferrosol in the show notes. Look after yourself bud, we're always here if you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Can't wait until every house is an ancient-rome style slum tower.