Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

they know Johnson can't call an election without a 2/3 majority, right

(wrong)

why would this be a problem? labour and the SNP would obviously vote for an election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm reasonably sure at this point that Boris actually wants parliament to stop no deal so he can go into the general election with a betrayed by remainer traitors narrative.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I don't get the point of proroguing parliament then? Otherwise Boris could just wait for anti no deal legislation, then demand an election via FTPA to "defend brexit". Proroguing parliament really pisses off his opponents after that, which you'd think would be worse for turnout in an election than the alternative.

Plays well to the Brexiteers whose votes he wants to be pissing off remainers and being seen to do all he can to deliver brexit.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Many local Tory parties have been taken over by Brexiteer ultras so an election is a big threat to a lot of remainer Tory MPs since they face deselection.

Whether this makes them cling on to their jobs at all costs and support bojo, or decide they have nothing to lose and so vote to stop him, eh who knows.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I’m shocked that Boris promising to sack every leaker has not stopped the leaks

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Finally caught up with the thread, loving hell.

I'm not allowing myself to be optimistic though, I've been burned too many times before thinking Brexit was maybe not going to happen.

Oh poo poo ayes have it. Is that an increased majority?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

sauer kraut posted:

Doesn't he have an assigned seat or something so he has to stand around all the time? (I don't know how UK parliament works exactly)

There are more MPs than seating

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

If they have another vote on May's deal, this will be the fourth time right? Or the fifth?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Can someone make Stephen Kinnock shut up

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jose posted:

whats he saying? someone should slap his head though

He thinks there should be a cross-party brexit deal, along the lines of what people were talking about when May was pretending to reach across to Labour

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

If someone wrote a movie character who was a toff tory MP called Sir Bill Cash I'd call them a hack

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

My brain has not absorbed anything Bill Cash has said but I assume it's the usual detached from reality brexiteer shite

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

lol Cash saying Boris has a mandate

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

IDS gets on well with Stephen Kinnock and they play football together, what a loving shock

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

this stupid racist idiot andrew percy whining about remainers haha

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

How can anyone hear these posh cunts speak for a second without being filled with lust for revolutionary violence? Just listen to Redwood sounding like a hollywood villain. 40% of the country is beyond help.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What was the amendment that just got crushed?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Remove the requirement for parliament to approve no deal

Haha

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Uhh Stephen Kinnock wins by default???

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So does this mean we have another vote on May's deal? I'm confused.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

this time parliament will get behind May's deal

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Here’s the Suns take for readers in England-

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm watching the House of Lords stream on twitch now. The tories are just going to filibuster this to death aren't they?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Can't believe they make all these ancient shambling wrecks get out of their comfy seats to vote

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh god this old codger is speaking so slowly. Boris has won unless there's some way to stop this filibuster.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bardeh posted:

How long are the Lords going to be sitting for? Constantly until they get through all of these filibustering amendments?

yes but prorogation starts on friday i think

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'd assume the tory lords are older and sleepier than the opposition but maybe their lust for pauper death with keep them awake through the night.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Someone on twitch chat saying 10 amendments voted on right now, 90 remaining.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh wow I think the tory lords gave up on their fillibuster. Or something happened. They are wrapping things up for the night.

Edit- Lord Adonis says the government caved and some kind of deal was made

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1169406626366971904?s=20

marktheando fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 5, 2019

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Thank god for the tory lords all being a million years old and needing their beds

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/pierrebri/status/1170004076907700225?s=20

:eyepop:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah for the price of a five guys you could go somewhere actually nice and get a burger.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ThanosWasRight posted:

Wendy's, Hardee's, Dairy Queen, Tim Hortons, Sonic, Arby's, Popeyes, Chik-Fil-A, Carl's Jr, A&W, Whataburger, to name a few more

I thought Tim Horton was a Canadian thing.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

In my experience everyone in Amsterdam just speaks English.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So if Johnson advises the queen to refuse royal assent on the anti-no-deal bill, or if he refuses to ask for an extension at the EU summit, is there still parliamentary time before Brexit day to do anything about it?

The idea of Bercow sending Boris to the tower is very funny but I don't for a moment believe it would actually happen if Boris refused to ask for an extension.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Namtab posted:

I don't think boris gets to ask the queen to say no to something thats passed parliament. Shes certainly not going to get drawn into a constitutional crisis trying. She only agreed to prorogue parliament because that is a thing she can do, and while its immoral for boris to tine it like this he is within his rights to do so.

As for the latter, i suspect that if boris refuses to ask himself then as its a passed statute he'll be found in contempt and they'll get someone else to ask unless the law is stupid enough to say that boris will do it as opposed to the government

If I remember right, the wording of the law is that the Prime Minister does the asking.

And people were saying that royal assent is based on the prime minister's advice like prorogation is, so there has been talk of Boris getting the queen to refuse it. Hopefully this isn't true, but I'm a bit worried.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mainwaring posted:

Earlier in the week there was a whole thing about tories in the lords filibustering the bill, and some mention that the deal was they'd stop if labour agreed to bojos election. What happened there? Presumably they caved but why?

There was a deal reached with labour to pass it but I don't know if we heard any more details than that.

I think the real reason might have been it was past 1AM and the tory lords are all a million years old and needed their beds.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jose posted:

What John Mann thing?

he's quitting labour to become the government's anti-semitism tsar (this is not a joke)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The MP for Penistone is a CUK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It would be in the general election, they would run a Tory candidate against him.

It’s also possible to remove the speaker with a vote in parliament, which they tried and failed to do a few years back. They definitely don’t have the numbers for that now though.