Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Haha god drat, the tories are so hosed come an election between this, the proroguing and the brexit party being a thing

I think spite will triumph over self interest in the black hearts of the olds

As usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

There are no rules, only power and those willing to wield it.

The coppers will never in a million years arrest the government.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Not really sure that dom cummies and the idiot squad are particularly personally powerful though. They're literally the bottom of the barrel of tory morons.

Like the government has basically no majority and is running terrified of even the slightest legislative opposition, they're not really doing a very good job of appearing in charge.

Robert Mueller was going to bring down Trump.

Institutions will never save us, and I genuinely don't understand how anyone thinks the courts or the police are ever going to ride over the hill to rescue us.

I guess it's less that the tories are powerful, and more that no-one will ever take the leap to do anything about their pissing on every line they come across

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Taear posted:

People on the TV aren't real though. You get too many sad images (charities and etc) on the TV. Unless you specifically actually KNOW people affected like Jaeluni Asjil mentioned people just don't give a poo poo.

People just ain't no good.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I think the problem is the way in which it is difficult to think good things about folks when you don't think good things about yourself alongside a culture that now glorifies callousness in the name of profit and has begun to devour itself. Kindness is considered weird and threatening to so many folks, especially in media, because it is so antithetical to how they got ahead.

Yeah.

Sorry, I've not slept for five nights and have had a poo poo week. It's amazing how much mood changes outlook, isn't it? It's almost scary how malleable it is. I'm out shopping and it's packed and I hate everyone around me and hate that I hate them. If I was rested I'd feel the complete opposite.

Even in the depths of misanthropy though I'll never ever compromise on my beliefs tho. gently caress cynics.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Boris cosplaying Trump and using his strategy sounds mighty plausible, and I have a terrible feeling it's going to be mighty effective.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I don't see it myself. Not because of any innate goodness about the British character, but because there is only so much you can do having been in charge for so long and also having to cope with how many people seem to hate you.

I genuinely appreciate your repeated attempts to assuage my worst fears itt, bman. I probably shouldn't trust my gut feelings.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

Having reasonable work hours and a good boss does wonders for work morale. My boss doesn't give a poo poo where or how we do our work as long as it gets done and it's great.

In return I don't mind being flexible and occasionally working longer days when things go to poo poo since I know I can just make it up later by having a day off or something.

The fact that this isn't the rule for 99% of jobs blows my loving mind. It's so obviously better for everyone. We're chained to this idiot Victorian era factory time in a period where it's utterly inappropriate.

Guavanaut posted:

Get a hobby. Read books. Do some home improvements. Lots of things are good that aren't working for the efficiency profits of someone else.

TBF AoF suffers from major depression, and speaking from experience that makes everything boring, including hobbies.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It’s not something she was allowed as a child, and her ex abused her frequently when trying to teach her as an adult.

She gave it a go once with me, went down a hill at speed, crashed and took a load of skin off her forearm.

It’s not a topic I’ve brought up again.

:smith:

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, but I'd rather be bored at home staring at the wall than being bored making some other oval office money.

Yeah, fair nuff

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah what you don't put anything on a crumpet except butter.

marmite

Communist Bear posted:

Does this mean Larry the Cat is screwed?

Boris has been there for some time.

EDIT - you know what I'm going to stop referring to him as 'Boris'. It plays right into his persona, and it shouldn't be as ubiquitous as it is

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

gotta love that we apparently live in one of those failed states where the leader just ignores laws at their convenience

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1168506187303784460

Surely this is a terrible idea for the tories. Unless they're banking on the Brexit Party tide receding so they can hoover up their votes

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah, I thought there'd be a bit of a 'mission accomplished' feeling going on among the brexit gammonry, lowering turnout for the tories and leaving a gap for the people who fucken hate them, but you're right. poo poo.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Continuity RCP posted:

This is a hate crime

Gotta be honest, would eat both Churchill and Lord Balfour

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

That does seem worryingly prescient, and I think also helps to illustrate why Neo-Liberal economic systems are starting to come apart. With greater access to peoples internal thoughts via things like twitter it is becoming increasingly obvious that there is no consistent intellectual power justifying people in charge being there. It's seeing the wizard without the curtain as it were.

That does seem worryingly accurate. Do you think any system can prevent this sort of ideological decay?

Mhm. Never having to do anything other than people please whilst also demanding pleasure from every single interaction. Boris is never going to be as powerful as he believes and is going to be manipulated by anyone who turns on the happiness spigot in his brain.

Surely the collapse/pantsing of the neoliberal consensus isn't something to be worried about, but to be celebrated though?

Also the 'please like me' underlying motivation is fairly plausible, and also, like that great Mark Fisher article points out, very likely a product of our psychotic boarding/private school system

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I loving did. I believe I mentioned several times how one time I even explicitly told her about how I believe the world is irreversably hosed, society will collapse and I am just waiting for every one who cares about me to die so I can kill myself and she merely looked at me blank faced and asked "In that case, why are you even in therapy?"

Sounds like a pretty lovely therapist to me. Maybe try another

TACD posted:

Quite often I feel like giving up on fighting depression and just accepting that everything is going to be poo poo until I kill myself but seeing that philosophy written down is kind of inspiring as a reminder that its still worth fighting to be happier every exhausting stupid day, so thanks for this.
IDK if this is a joke but it’s very powerfully accurate

Same. I don't think I'll ever be a hopeful person but I'm not going to stop trying to apply myself as if I am. A think a big part of being a (relatively) well-realised person is to stare absolute defeat in the eye and saying 'gently caress you, I'll fight til I die regardless'. It's irrational but then so are most things we do

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

This is, technically, what you're doing every second you're alive anyway.

Well, yeah, exactly

Although bare living isn't what I think most people would call necessarily worthwhile

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

Thanks, Guardian liveblog, for letting me know that Cuminic Dommins has arrived at work. Thanks as well for talking about his outfit and adding some pictures.

I'm informed now.

As Sun Tzu says, 'a good general can direct the battle just as well at home in his pants'

It's a development

Hobo posted:

Also people like to throw out “power corrupts” as some sort of given, even though the “power reveals” line has more merit in my view.

Stealing dis

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

That's essentially what she said. But how the hell is that supposed to help? At best you sound like you are calling your patient a liar at worst you sound like an utter psychopath.

She was trying to find a chink in the wall of absolute despair and apathy you've built around yourself, and make you realise that maybe there was another way of thinking about things.

I revise my earlier assessment that she was a bad therapist; she just didn't realise the depth of your addiction to misery, it would've worked on someone less dedicated to being utterly supine

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ukle posted:

If so the FTPA has to be the worst piece of legislation ever drafted.

Well yeah

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]:
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1168825578121846785
Hoey voting with the government. Shocking, I know.

I can't remember, is anything happening to punish her for literally siding with the tories over her own party over and over and over and over again?

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Good news everyone, Podcasting Is Praxis is now available on Google Podcasts!

acast pls

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Her CLP voted no confidence in her, and she's deselected herself for the next GE (presumably jumping before getting pushed, and freeing herself up to act like an arse in the meantime knowing there's nothing more the party can do)
https://mobile.twitter.com/KateHoeyMP/status/1148198081143476225

Fuckin' A. Look forward to her being wiped off the map in a month or so, then

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Also in for banning the tweetman. She's an irrelevance it's annoying. Sorry T-Painz

So if Johnson gets rid of purdah, does that mean MPs would have to stick around parliament to vote on poo poo? Could this shake out worse for the tories, given the vast disparity in ground game between the two parties? Could Labour/Momentum pick up the slack in a way their dessicated base simply can't?

RottenK posted:

post the awful tweets from the loving moron, but only if jam man wins so everyone can laugh at her melting down

Would accept this as a compromise

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 3, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I don't miss working in Parliament on days like today.

Hey what's up T_D, you should post ITT more!

Also lmao at this latest news, how am I supposed to work when this kind of ultra juicy parliament drama is going on

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

yea we're sure to hit rock bottom anytime now and then it'll be upupup

seriously though the world is poo poo

same as it ever was

similarly :f5:, internet too crappy here to watch

Did Johnson stumble as it happened? Did it throw him? I hope he poo poo himself

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Managed to get a stream. Johnson looks loving shaken, wobbling his jowls and head about. He looks really, really hosed off. It's utterly delicious

EDIT

:discourse:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I'm currently sitting in a cafe in Berlin, half writing a script synopsis, and half watching the Sky News live feed on YT.

I envy you.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Holy gently caress, hes just started stammering trying to smear Corbyn!
Not responding to any of what Corbyn said, just attacking him.
Total loving shook.

I lost the stream again, drat it, so I'm just going to enjoy this vicariously for now

Which I am

Immensely

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Back again

Every other word Johnson's saying is hopelessly stammered
I know that's his shtick, but this is pretty crazy

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Private Speech posted:

I'd hold off on ripping into the lib dems until things settle down a bit TBH.

Okay, not that what's said in the thread matters, but in general.

Why tho?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Genuine lol out loud

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tarnop posted:

Hi UKMT

First off, thanks for all the kind folks from last thread that suggested setting up a GoFundMe or similar for my current financial crisis. You're all lovely people, and the generosity genuinely brought me to tears (several times). Thankfully I had a spot of good fortune and I'm due a tax rebate; thanks to hellworld time dilation I forgot that I was an actual salaried employee for three months last financial year so they've given me all my PAYE tax back.

I'm currently enjoying Tory meltdown. Thread is great when the smell of blue blood is in the water.

Great news bud!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

This has been an okay day.

I hope that the stop No-Deal thing gets through Parliament, though I think from the looks of things it is quite likely.

I am going to tidy my room, try and make food and have a sit. Not feeling at my best, but I am glad folks here are doing well.

I thought a lot about happiness today, I don't know how to find it or wether I want/deserve it, but one thing I don't want to do is make folks uncomfortable/feel bad. Part of me worries I have done so even though my intentions aren't there. That people have been hurt by my indifference or my anger or me trying to be someone they'd like.

I dunno, it's been a funny old day. Keep safe.

Take care of yourself, man. You do deserve it.

And you've been a voice of calm and reason and reassurance ITT for awhile now, so you're doing quite the opposite of making people feel uncomfortable or bad!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I can't tell if that's pseudo-populist posturing or affected toff posturing.

It's absolutely the latter

EDIT OH poo poo GAME ON

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jollity Farm posted:

Johnson may end up being the shortest serving PM we have ever had, beating Spencer Percival's low score. And Johnson would still be alive to be told how badly he hosed up.

This'd be even more delicious than if he never got to be PM at all

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Heart's thumping, chums

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

oh shiiiitttttt

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sky claiming 10 Tory rebels, which is theoretically enough, but...

You're singlehandedly giving my palpatations ITT

And not for the usual good reasons like you want

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Is this... is this as insane as it appears to be? Is this some kind of land speed record for the PM being bitchmade in parliament?

:wtc:

It is, friend

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

So ten minutes ago Leadsome said of course the rebels would have another chance.

Now they’re ALL out.

Ken Clarke

F

served the tories for 450 proud years

Don't think Ken Clarke rebelled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Haha oh poo poo

I must've missed his name somehow