Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Guavanaut posted:

Traditionally no, you can go down to the depths of Hell within your freehold (ad inferos).

More recently this has been amended to state that any 'major works' require prior approval, but not planning permission. So you'd have to tell the council, water board, gas board, etc. if you were bringing in earth movers to excavate, but you don't have to go through the planning process.

However on top of this the High Court (E&W) has recently stepped in to say that the Common Law right to dig down to Hell realistically meant digging a basement or root cellar, not the Kola borehole, and so they have ruled that the no planning permission rule only applies to a single storey, you can't have infinite subbasements.

Sweet, I can still get my man-cavern excavated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

You can't sell capitalism to people who can't accumulate capital, so we need to trick people into believing that they can.

Do it harder I mean.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean it also relies on young people simultaneously wanting to accumulate capital, while also accepting that they will never be paid fairly or be able to afford a house.

My intended implication was that trying harder to paper over the cracks without changing anything is as far as almost anyone at that conference would be willing to go ;)

Braggart fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 30, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

tritsch posted:

Has anyone posted this yet? Kate Hoey speaking at the Tory conf.

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1178319779918155776?s=20

A conference by and for the wealthy has better-dressed attendees you say? :monocle:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

mehall posted:

Labour have committed to linking the minimum wage to cost of living so it gets regular increases unrelated to day-to-day political decision making

Yeah that's super important. If minimum wage is not pegged to cost of living then you end up with wanker politicians arguing over how much to cut it in real terms but presented as generosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Calling Corbyn a dangerous hero just makes him sexier