Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

XR were out in force in Manchester over the weekend, shutting down the city by *checks notes* getting a couple of buses rerouted.

Frankly the new bus route worked out better for me, so they managed to achieve less than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's no wonder that they all think Corbyn is a Stalinist monster if they treat having the whip withdrawn like they're having their life threatened. Worthless fucks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jables88 posted:

Anyone going to the Labour event in Salford Quays tonight?

Where in Salford Quays?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jables88 posted:

It's at the Lowry theatre so in the Media City really. Just to be clear, this isn't a 'fill the streets' thing it's an official Labour members event with JC and others speaking.

Well then no, I guess. :v:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

Don't eat crumpets.

Wtf, crumpets are ace.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Urgh, 9pm? That's way too far away. I need my hellworld chaos right now!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I knew today would deliver.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No, but it just got a little more likely, and things are on a knife edge as they are.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's some logic behind not completely ruling out no deal, in as much as being willing to walk away from a bad deal as a general principle should always theoretically be on the table, even if you're in the weaker negotiating position.

Unless you've completely loving botched everything and don't have a leg to stand on, so it's a good thing that they haven't spent three years doing exactly that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So, if the bill tonight passes but Johnson's subsequent call for an election fails, doesn't that mean that Parliament can potentially block no deal (however they go about it) and not let Johnson try to force us out through an election and/or prorogation?

Cos that would be a pretty hilarious outcome, even if it means a bit longer in tory hellworld.

Edit: what Jabby said.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's happening, and It is good.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That is the repose of a man who is watching his prospects of premiership at the helm of an independent Britain go up in smoke before his eyes.

Just a couple of months ago he was potentially looking like the man of the hour. Now none of them are.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's a matter of confidence, says a nervously sweating Johnson.

Yeah, but it isn't actually, is it, you clown, you gently caress, says Corbyn.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So with Labour turning down an election, are the libtig massive looking to wreck this bill or not?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And now Labour are going to smack down an election and let the fucker impotently crash and burn.

God, what a magical day.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

moostaffa posted:

I still believe their only goal is to drag this out until no-deal can't be prevented, then lose the GE and gently caress off to collect their millions.

Fortunately they've had that opportunity taken away from them, what with their -43 majority and a humiliating commons defeat.

Man, I am going to sleep well tonight.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Presumably we don't need very long before a pre-Brexit election is impossible, at which point Labour is free to VONC away (assuming no deal has been blocked in some way).

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Samovar posted:

Jesus Christ what the gently caress is going on.

Hope came to kick rear end and chew bubblegum.

And it's all out of gum.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

-43 is the government's new majority after deselecting a bunch of MPs last night. 27 is just the difference in votes between aye/nay on yesterday's vote.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol at Johnson calling a Corbyn-led parliament a junta, in a private meeting. They actually believe this garbage.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hentai Jihadist posted:

SNP want an election now, labour are worried about the results of an election now and wanna let bojo stew in his mess for longer, since nothing bad can happen there

Specifically they need to block no deal Brexit first and ensure that an election can't be used to force us out of the EU on Johnson's terms, but letting the fucker crash and burn is a great side effect of this.

https://twitter.com/Jamie_O_D/status/1168998955532902401?s=19

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A couple of my meltier friends are somewhat down on Corbyn (and like Yvette Cooper :gonk:) but they were both super enthusiastic about McDonnell. No, I don't get it either, but it's probably further proof that he would be a decent successor to Corbyn.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So what happens today? A vote?

Yes, today is the 'go beg for an extension, you failure, you stupid gently caress' bill, and is generally expected to pass. It'll be voted on later this evening.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What actually is the next step after this bill? A vote on revocation in the event of no deal being agreed by Parliament? That seems like the only way to actually guarantee that no deal is taken off the table regardless of whether we leave or not.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is what I was referring to earlier - would stopping no deal mean passing a bill that literally auto-revokes Article 50 if no other deal is agreed by Parliament, or would it take some other form? I guess we'll find out either way.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guardian's saying that they've agreed to send it back to the commons by 5pm Friday:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...py_to_clipboard

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

I’m skeptical. What if they’re just doing this so that the idiot blairites in Labour and the libshits pass the election vote and then the Lords just go “lol psyke, filibuster forever now”

Friday 5pm does seem suspicious as gently caress.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's one way to do a combover I guess.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

lmao can't even keep his own family on side, reckon there's going to be a messy and public break up as soon as his girlfriend realises how being the girlfriend of the worst PM in history isn't going to go well for her career.

All alone in the giant flat he poached from the eggman, unloved by all and with nothing but crushing defeats under his belt, shortly before being thrown out on his arse.

I want to believe.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Why wouldn't you turn those potatoes into mash? Mince 'n spuds are fine, but no buttery mash?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

jabby posted:

Not even that. If Corbyn holds out until next Thursday Parliament has to be prorogued, meaning an election can't be called until it returns about five weeks later.

Boris has basically hosed himself with the proroguing stunt.

It lasts for five weeks? What the actual gently caress. :psyduck:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can Johnson choose to not prorogue parliament, if it isn't looking to benefit him? It would make him look like a colossal twat, but then, what wouldn't? It's bad options all the way down for him.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm not sure even Boris Johnson can keep blustering his way through while he's sitting in a prison cell.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Double post, better pay the cat tax as penance.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 6, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's such a weirdly desperate ploy to demand that your opponent comes and reams you now instead of in three weeks when they're done dismantling your political ambitions.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

HauntedRobot posted:

Wahaca do some nice stuff if you can hold your nose and ignore the spelling. And their home taco kits are awesome.

Their smoky Chipotle sauce is magnificent. Mexican in general is like pizza, it doesn't matter how terrible and inauthentic it is, you still want it bad.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Exioce posted:

Principle is the same, the thing does not belong to you, it belongs to someone else. You don't get to take it because you 'have needs'

If someone is withholding a basic need for the purpose of extorting you, it is explicitly morally good to take it from them and ensure that they can't exploit people in future.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

*taps head* Parliament can't throw you in the tower if you've already prorogued them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Comedy timeline: Parliament returns after prorogation, immediately has Johnson arrested, Corbyn goes to EU for extension on the promise of an election, tories too busy scrambling for a new leader while Johnson sits in jail, party crashes into the loving ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The DUP are still going to vote down any deal that they don't like. They didn't vanish in a puff of smoke when the tory majority collapsed, so I'm not sure how this gambit is expected to work.