Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

hey cool an ideological purge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I posted this on reddit's legal advice UK subreddit but I'll repost it here to see what advice I can get.

Hello, I have just moved to a new city and into shared accomodation. I had moved most of my stuff in when I realised the door to my room did not have a lock on it. I have a key to the front and the back doors (which if not actually locked can be opened from the outside without a key).

I did some cursory research, which indicated that houses of multiple occupancy are required to have locks on the rooms, and texted my landlord to request a lock for my room. He said it wasn't possible, as he did not want to be called out for when people lose their keys. I pushed back a bit, stating that from my understanding that it is the law that shared houses have locks on the rooms, and he responded by telling not to "guess the law", that he is a professional landlord, that he does not need this on a Sunday evening, and that if I don't like it he is willing to void the contract and I can find somewhere else.

I've decided to leave it there for now, but wanted to ask you folk, what is the legality of this? Do I have a leg to stand on here?

e: Also this is in England

For context, I am a 30 year old professional, this is not student housing. It is just the room I am renting, I have an en suite but there is a shared kitchen.

Do you have a tenancy agreement for your specific room or does it cover the entire house? If the former, then your room should have a lock. If the latter - a shared tenancy agreement - then no, the landlord doesn't have to provide internal locks.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cummings relying on the submissive spineless of Tory MPs not to rebel, even in the face of disaster, is probably a smart move tbh.

edit: this cat would def rebel

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 1, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

I have a hard time believing that even Johnson would do that.

I feel like this is going to be the motto for the next few months.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Boris looks and sounds like poo poo. The longer he stays up there the better the case against him looks.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

bump_fn posted:

everyone keeps saying this but hes more cogent and coherent than trump and the chuds loving love him. who knows if the hogs still love boris

I dunno, Trump never sounds this shook and wobbly.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

freeasinbeer posted:

Man is the Jam man really looking down the barrel of losing 45 seats if a GE was held?

That’s uhhhhh, not great.

Strong 2017 energy right here.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rees Mogg talking about the Illuminati there. Old men, running the world.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't get the Guto Bebb thing. It's a pretty normal Welsh name.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Eeeeee come on I can't take this.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ash Crimson posted:

I worry that this is just theatrics on the part of the rebels and i think the vote tommorow might be very close, the rebels have been spineless for the majority of the time...

Or, seeing that the threats of deselection weren't followed through, more rebels will sign up.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ugh, an Institute for Government rep on the BBC calling Corbyn a Brexiteer.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

bump_fn posted:

how will the headlines say this is jezzas fault / boris' win

Brave Boris continues to fight for the people against sinister Brexit blocking communist Corbyn and his metropolitan Parliament elite.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So what happens to Hammond who has already been selected by his local party? Does that not mean anything now?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Purges! Deselections! Ideological purification!

It finally happened!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm curious to see how Corbyn not going for a GE will play. I think his reasoning is sound, but it reads a bit funny if you don't know the details of what's going on.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Foul Ole Ron posted:

:yeshaha:

A thousand times :yeshaha:

Fuuuuuuck getting into bed with the Lib Dems. Labour can, should and will win a general election.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nuclear Spoon posted:

what's the likelihood of the lib dems facing a crisis after welcoming in a bunch of ex-tories. obviously that LGBT chair resigning was one thing but surely most of them don't actually care right

I would imagine that come an actual election, when Lib Dem campaigners will be expected to canvas for unvarnished straight-up Tories, we may see some friction.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

not really sure Johnson bringing up chlorinated chicken as a gotcha against Corbyn is a smart move.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, can anyone just run on 'you know what let's just loving stop brexit'? It feels like this 'extend it more' game is gonna grow pretty weak pretty fast, is brexit as a concept really something enough people still are on board with the opposition can't just go 'no, gently caress this'?

Yes, a lot of lifelong Labour voters still want Brexit.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lobster God posted:

"Anna Soubry"
*entire chamber groans*

I love that everyone hates her.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I peeked in on the Mail's website to see this take on all this - and surprisingly they're also taking the line that Boris is being a loving idiot and is ruining everything. They said his first PMQs was a "calamitous" disaster.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

get May's deal dragged out of it's grave for one more ceremonial kicking?

Maybe we could make this an annual thing? Just to reminisce on seeing the smirk getting wiped off her face.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Apparently the latest galaxy brain idea out of Cummings is that Johnson proposes and supports a VONC on himself.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm impressed that Johnson has failed harder and faster than any of us could have anticipated.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

A Labour majority is an absolute pipe dream, right? At least very unlikely? (This to everyone who feels like scrying)

It's possible bordering on probable.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/SoozUK/status/1169625464446640128

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Chinese Gordon posted:

Confirmed that Labour will not vote in favour of an election on Monday; the leadership has been talked down from previous gung ho approach. Thank gently caress for that. Much as I like and admire Jez and fully support his policies, he and the people around him have an alarming lack of basic strategic sense.

As clearly demonstrated by them blocking Johnson into a corner and making his only option a vote of no confidence in himself. If only they had some strategic sense though... :(

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Great podcast guys :)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Aw man, I just got back from a trip to Wales to discover that Andy, who's been selling the Big Issue at the supermarket opposite my house for ten years, died. There's a nice memorial to him with lots of messages from friends, but I'm sad I won't get to chat with him again. :(

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ms Adequate posted:

Been in a similar situation, nearly deserted airports are my aesthetic

Meanwhile I'm stuck in Narita airport, Tokyo as there's a typhoon that's stopped all transport in and out indefinitely. It's heaving with sweaty, exhausted and pissed off people.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Eschenique posted:

We had specifically put signs all over the board that we were repainting and that no laundry should be done at the time but someone still did and put their little lock in the door so we couldn't get in.

What did you expect from a twatsystem?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been with Zen for years after a recommendation from this thread. They're really good - and I think they treat their employees well too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As good a time as any to remind everyone that people literally pushed aside LU workers in order to get into the visibly-burning Kings Cross station. Every single person that died on the escalators, and maybe half the people that died in the ticket hall, literally walked into a burning building.

What's your source on this?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Full report on Kings Cross fire. Chapter 9 is events on the night.

http://www.berrison.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Kings-Cross-Fire.pdf

NHS colleagues who were on duty that night at UCH had to lay bodies out in the Goods In yard because there were so many. One said they were all holding it together until someone brought out the body of a child.

Thanks! I also tried to look it up online and failed. Wasn't doubting this was the case, but that fire has always interested me. It's sad that the plaque commemorating it in the station is now usually behind a notice board.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 10, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I read chapter 9 of that report and it doesn't say anything about passengers pushing past firemen to go into a burning building. It says passengers were directed up the Victoria line escalators by firemen.

:colbert:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bobstar posted:

You like fire? Have you read about the Iroquois Theatre fire? I often bring it up I'm working in a theatre and people start trying to skimp on the width of gaps, or pile stuff in fire exits, and I feel like being That Guy.

TLDR: You couldn't design a better death trap if you tried, and the failings would be hilariously terrible if not for all the dead people.

I did a course on fire safety at work recently and it really stuck with me - especially because most of the time it's lovely landlords and bosses cutting corners and regular people dying horribly as a result.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CrazySalamander posted:

Eggs will slice people up, no kidding. The shells shards tear into skin easily.

I was pelted with hundreds of eggs for about half an hour and I didn't get any cuts. :colbert:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rarity posted:

There's no such thing as 'just between us mates' though when it comes to insults. If that was the case then we'd be ok with calling Sajid Javid a P**i or Ruth Davison the f-word or Chuka Umunna the n-word because, hey they're not part of the in-crowd so it's fine, right? You wouldn't accept that when it comes to race or sexuality so why are you cool with it when it's about looks?

That's a bit of a leap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Civil service IT ladies and gentlemen...