Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

This feels like an appropriate subject for the thread. There are plans for a women’s refuge in Edinburgh which is in the process of being highjacked a bunch of NIMBYs because obviously all abused women are junkies and this will attract drug dealers to the area etc etc. It could really use some ‘support’ comments. https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=makeComment&keyVal=PVT0Z5EWG9T00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tesseraction posted:

Boris has threatened to purge 30 anti-No-Deal Tories from the party if they don't vote to enable no deal.

Don’t be silly. The word purge is only used when applied to Labour.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

No, they’re shouting Boo-ris, Boo-ris.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Then we NDB but at this rate corbyn's going to be ruling over the shattered and ashen husks of every other party by virtue of being the only one who isn't a festering moron for several years.

Just in time for Labour to win an election and the UK to enter a recession allowing people to entirely blame them for it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I knew that Johnson's 'humph-humph-whatsit-latinist' schtick was going to come unravelled when he actually had to start leading a party and all the scrutiny that would bring. But I just didn't think it would happen so incredibly quickly.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

gently caress me that was a bad response from Johnson. Christ.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Can you do Goya's Saturn Devouring His Son but as Corbs Devouring?

Oh god please this.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Blackford outright calling Johnson a dictator. That's something.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

CyberPingu posted:

Whats the timeline for today if anyone has it to hand?

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmagenda/OP190904.pdf

SUMMARY AGENDA: CHAMBER
11.30am Prayers
Afterwards Oral Questions: Wales
12 noon Oral Questions: Prime Minister
12.30pm Urgent Questions, Ministerial Statements (if any)
No debate Presentation of Bills
Up to 20 minutes Ten Minute Rule Motion: Compulsory Purchase and Planning
(Emma Hardy)
Until 7.00pm European Union (Withdrawal) (No. 6) Bill: All Stages
Up to 90 minutes Early Parliamentary General Election (Motion)
Until 7.00pm Animal Welfare (Sentencing) Bill: Remaining Stages
No debate after
7.00pm
Motion relating to the membership of the Selection Committee
No debate Presentation of Public Petitions
Until 7.30pm or for
half an hour
Adjournment Debate: Treasury funding for the Department of
Health and Social Care (Robert Halfon)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Barry Foster posted:

Bailed after PMQs, don't care what the eggman has to say

I watched it for a bit but it's just so tedious.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

https://twitter.com/PrivateEyeNews/status/1169538310835965953

at least one of you has a sub right

e: 88 is the hitler number

Ratbiter who may be Nick Cohen.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mince and tatties is amazing, reminds me of dinner at my grandma’s. If made properly it’s super tasty.

SpaceDrake posted:

jesus who on his staff let him get in front of a camera looking like that. fix your drat hair, boris

I have it on good authority from two separate friends in politics that he tousles it up right before he goes on camera. No doubt it’s part of his image or something.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Fedule posted:

When did he start calling himself "shadow foreign secretary" in his bio lmao

It’s not even right, the Shadow Cabinet is a specific function, not just ‘the person we would have as X position if we were in power’. I mean, the Lib Dems aren’t getting that either so even having a post like that is just showboating.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bump_fn posted:

what’s a good charity to donate a bunch of women’s clothes? women’s shelters? in the london area

i don’t want to give it to some bullshit red cross charity shop

https://www.emmaus.org.uk/ do good work with homelessness, they’re generally my first choice.

If it’s specifically good quality women’s clothes then a shelter sounds a good idea though - although I don’t happen to know any.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

I've traveled round this country
From Nevis down to Fen
It really made me wonder
The things I seen and ken.

I saw the weary teacher
Making food and washing clothes
Because the kids are broke and hungry
And the school, it's nearly closed

But the Queen's toilet's been stolen
It's her solid golden throne
And if the teachers took the Crown back
Then that gold could be our own

I saw the sailor sighing
His fishing quota sold
But the papers love the Tories
So instead he blames the Poles

And if the sailors took the Crown back

I saw the weary miner
Forty years he dug for coal
But the last deep pit's been closed off
And he's sanctioned from the dole

And if the miners took the Crown back

I've seen my comrades working
Throughout this mighty land
I prayed we'd get together
And together make a stand

Then we'd own those royal buildings
With their toilets made of gold
And we'd share the Crown as People
A common treasure in freehold

This owns, and is much better than the “police have nothing to go on” joke I’m expecting to hear a lot of over the next few days.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Just finished episode 3 of the podcast.

It's good, though one thing I would like to add is that even if the benefits service does work as advertised, even if it gets you back into work, the process itself works very effectively to instil an absolute yawning terror of being out of work.

The humiliating and degrading nature of it makes you deathly afraid of ever being out of work, or even looking for work in my case, cos every time you do a loving application it sends it all crawling back to you.

Which, of course, is also part of the intended effect, but it is another example of it being absolutely designed to gently caress up workers for the benefit of the loving swine in charge.

Absolutely, it's intended to get you into a state where you'll accept a job, any job at all, to get off the system.

I've been on JSA twice in my career, and both times I had incredibly sympathetic advisors who completely accepted that the kinds of jobs I'm suited for aren't the kinds they get and were happy to tick me for turning up every couple of weeks. Until one of them went on holiday, and I had her replacement. He was awful, insisting I apply to X Y Z, "you can get sanctioned for not engaging with your job hunt" and all of that. Job is unreachable on the tube network and you can't drive there because you've lost your licence for medical reasons? gently caress you, apply. This is the experience that many, many people have on JSA.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tsietisin posted:

So I'm at the Royal Albert Hall watching the last night of the proms. I've never seen so many EU flags.

Also I'm here as a guest of someone that actually owns a seat here. As such they tickets to every performance free. What's the threads view on seat landlords?

Absolutely fine: a seat at the RAH isn’t a requirement for life. And it can be a good way to support the arts, yada yada.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Like just now I thought of a seperate summary thread condensing happenings in the ukmt, but first of all who would take that on, why would they want to do that, and this is all way, way too much effort for something that's not really solveable without going back to the draconian D&D standards of old.

And ultimately, that's what the front page of the thread is for each month. I view this thread as more than just a 'strictly UK politics digest', it's more of a UK enclave.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Firos posted:

No ifs, only butts.

Taken in Soho.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Cerv posted:

But enough about your weekend

:allears:

They have a few of them up

“Guardian of Uranus” is a particularly good strap line.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/17/boris-johnson-likely-lose-supreme-court-case-labour-shami-chakrabarti posted:

The former supreme court justice Jonathan Sumption told BBC Newsnight he thought the government ought to win but suggested judges might be outraged at Johnson’s approach.

He said: “My own view is that the orthodox opinion is the one held by the English courts. But one has to accept that if you behave outrageously and defy the political culture upon which our constitution depends, a lot of judges are going to be tempted to push the limits.

“And the trouble is Boris Johnson has taken a hammer and sickle to our political culture in a way that is profoundly provocative to people who believe that there ought to be solutions consistent with our traditions.”

An excellent take. :discourse:

[Sickos gif here]

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The auto subtitling on the suspension has just declared “we are asked to opine on parliament solvent free”. Mores the pity

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

i genuinely don't understand the significance of the 'labour activist' thing, is the suggestion that he probably doesn't even have a child as patient or something? if he believes his child receives worse care because of government policy, how could that not influence his politics? calling him an 'activist' in that context is extremely creepy really, it's obviously not why he's there

I think it's a "of course he would accuse the Tories of these things, true or not, he's a labour activist." I think.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Von Linus posted:

BoJo: You are a big posh sod with plums in your mouth, and the plums have mutated and they have got beaks. You make pigs smoke. You feed beef burgers to swans. You have big sheds, but nobody's allowed in. And in these sheds you have 20ft high chickens, and these chickens are scared because the don't know why they're so big, and they're going, "Oh why am I so massive?" and they're looking down at all the little chickens and they think they're in an aeroplane because all the other chickens are so small.

It's like we're playing with HAIM again.

Johnson was in New York when he received the news. "I didn't want to make anything official until I saw what was happening there," said Johnson, who is the Prime Minister. "They've been really gracious in offering to help," he said of the US State Department. In return, Trump would have been the first world leader to meet with Johnson. "I wanted to visit him, it's been a dream of his," Johnson said on Thursday. Trump has already been in contact with Johnson, as part of a visit to the White House. After Johnson's confirmation that he would be the US president's trade representative, Trump will have many meetings with other administration officials in the coming weeks. For now, the US President will only have a chance to meet with the President of the US. This makes it a good time to put your phone away and turn down that high-profile phone call. In Britain, there are signs of the backlash from voters against the European Union. A poll conducted on Wednesday showed the government's popularity falling to 37 percent, down slightly from December's poll. It is far from being the only polling that has demonstrated the same drop off this year.
On Thursday, Corbyn laid a banging VONC on it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Still B.A.E posted:

Yes, sorry for not being more specific. Maybe a lesser known museum or something, fairly central. I was going to go to the wellcome collection, but it's only open late on a Thursday.

How about The Old Operating Theatre then? Near London Bridge, Europes oldest surviving theatre. It's open until 5pm today.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I don't really get the point in asking Cox for his opinion. It's now a settled matter, Cox knows that, and he's not going to risk his position etc by 'going against' the court. It's an odd question.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Aidan_702 posted:

Just kill me now

It was an awesome brooch though. Obviously all the 'hidden message' stuff is bollocks, but it was an objectively cool brooch. She has quite the collection apparently.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

There's a lot of working class people who need multiple prescriptions each month. You can get prepayment certificates, but there's a lot of people who are on reduced income (due to needing multiple prescriptions a month) and don't meet the HC1 requirements. I wouldn't call someone who can only work part time because of an illness and yet earns more than minimum wage 'middle class'.

That Lib Dem tweet is just going to come off as "It isn't right under all circumstances that everyone should get free prescriptions. People under Scottish, Welsh, or Northern Irish circumstances yes, English circumstances no." to a lot of people though, so it's a big self own.

You can get a HC1 if you have low income and low savings without being on benefits, but you're right that the means test rules out far more working class people than middle class people.

The charge is pretty weird in its own way - around 90% of prescriptions are dispensed free anyway. And even if you have a medical exemption (which I do), you get all prescriptions free - not just the ones to treat whatever you have the exemption for. It raises about 1/2billion a year though, which is around 0.3% of the NHS budget.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jedit posted:

Yeah, even before the SNP abolished charges I was getting everything for free as I'm diabetic. I wouldn't ever have slapped them for it otherwise. But the net for exemption is wide enough that basically everyone who needed free scrips was already getting them. It was a purely populist policy.

Labour doing it in conjunction with forming a state owned pharmaceutical company is different, though. It sends the money to somewhere other than the private sector.

If they're going to tinker with the policy it should be something like widening the net to admit more people who struggle to afford them (the wonderful result of the current system may well be extra strain on the NHS anyway as people don't prevent a condition from rising to the point where it is serious because of the cost of a prescription) while also tightening to only allow exemptions for specific types of prescription - I should get certain prescriptions for free because of the conditions they treat, but it shouldn't allow me to get something entirely unrelated prescribed free - which it does.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

ThomasPaine posted:

:thejoke:

I was treated noticeably better than many of the people I could overhear from the waiting room. I made a point to wear a shirt and be calm and civil no matter how frustrating I found it. This was easy because I had only been on a few months, had a couple of grand in savings, was fairly certain it was only going to be temporary, and had a good support network including a working girlfriend who helped out a lot where necessary.

A lot of people I witnessed being really talked down to and hosed over were clearly in long-term poverty, came in in dirty trackies, weren't very articulate, and were palpably furious about their situation. Often I'd go to my meeting with an adviser I'd just seen treat someone like crap and they'd give me a knowing look and even joke about it as if to say 'look at the state of these people, not like us'. It made me super uneasy even though I benefited from it, but it's a totally ingrained part of the system - it's self perpetuating poverty and it consciously fucks the people who need it most while blaming then for being, essentially, broken down by the whole thing. Of course they lash out! They didn't have to start hiring bouncers for jobcentres because people just mysteriously became more violent. I also think the way they call you a 'customer' is a very neoliberal strategy of dehumanisation and justification.

This being in a very homogenous white and traditionally labour area too, I can't even imagine what it's like for BAME people or people who have to get by in Tory-majority places.

This is creepy to read because it's almost exactly what I was going to write in my long rant about the process as well (with the exception of the adviser - I was fortunate and both times had 'good' ones*). I went to Woolwich JC so it's a pretty mixed area, and having to get buses there meant that you had to either get the earlier bus to avoid missing your appointment if it's late or gamble on it. I've frequently been kept waiting for 10 minutes past my time because things are overrunning - but you better not be late yourself. Once while I was waiting I saw a woman get turned away for arriving 5 minutes late because her bus was slow, she was sent away and told to come back in 2 weeks as she had missed her slot. Never mind that I had been waiting more than 5 minutes for mine at the time...

*I once had to change my appointment to another day - which was a fight in itself - and had a different adviser for that one, and he was absolutely awful. Trying to get me to apply for both shop jobs at £8/hr or so and director level banking jobs at 140k/year in the same session, and darkly implying that I wasn't 'cooperating with the process' when I pointed out that I was grossly overqualified for one and under-qualified for the other.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 25, 2019

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Sir Keir is doing well, lot of well laid out points. However I'm fairly sure that Gove is just going to not-answer any of them.

^^The above rings very true as well, I was lucky in that I had lost my job at a bank, and the adviser used to work in HR Recruitment for HSBC so a) knew that the jobs they had there weren't the kind of jobs I'd be looking for and (I suspect) b) I was the 'right kind of person'.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 25, 2019

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

ThomasPaine posted:

Does that not put him in contempt of parliament

To copy a standard line from improv"

"Yes, and?"

edit:

Those Gove questions were a waste - one of the questionnaires should have just jettisoned their prepared question and only asked him who changed the title and when. By asking him two questions he was always able to just give an answer to the other one and move on.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 25, 2019

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bump_fn posted:

people still use email signatures??????

"Please consider the environment when printing this email". Unfortunately being just enough words to trip the email over to two pages.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, you have to (or at least should) put something like

"Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679, we have a legal duty to protect any information we collect from you. Information contained in this email and any attachments may be privileged or confidential and intended for the exclusive use of the original recipient. If you have received this email by mistake, please advise the sender immediately and delete the email, including emptying your deleted email box."

if you're sending a professional email from a company or gov organisation.

That's absolutely not a requirement, at all.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Someone get Charlie Brooker on the phone, I've got an idea for another Black Mirror.

Also enjoy he's put "TV Star" in quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Looks like her Maj is even weighing in.

https://twitter.com/samisam147/status/1177577125651656706?s=21