Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vando posted:

It makes me really uncomfortable when people bring up the 'why don't people think of the effect accusations have on abusers?' angle because it sets off a massive alarm bell about their own behaviour, because why would you be so invested in discouraging the testimony of victims?

Like if the above applies to you in any way please consider your own behaviour, and recognise that while it's tempting to believe you've moved on from things you may have done in the past, it's not for you to decide when your responsibility ends.

I think many people just grow up hearing "innocent until proven guilty" and think it's a noble idea (which it is, sure) while having never experienced the countless ways our justice systems fail to punish, and in fact protect, abusers in reality. So rather than conclude that the institutions you were always taught are fair and objective are flawed, or that many abusers will never face consequences for their actions, it's much easier to lash out at the voices giving you this uncomfortable case of cognitive dissonance right now than reconsider your basic assumptions about life. At least that's what I'd like to believe rather than reflexively assuming everybody protecting abusers has committed some violation in their own lives, which is just too depressing an outlook even if it's true of the particular person you're addressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think rehabilitation, restitution and even reconciliation with victims is sometimes possible, all of which are deprived when the accused ends their own life. It's hard to look at what's going on now and say "driving bad men into such despair they kill themselves" was really the best or desired outcome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:perfect: I would add various games crafted to evoke a particular mood in the player; Rakuen; What Remains of Edith Finch; That Demon, Cancer; Night In The Woods. All of those have gameplay mechanics, art, and music, like any other game, but also are trying to make the player examine feelings and situations.

e: to fix meaningless snipe

A lot of proto-gamergate types latched onto Gone Home as "not a real game" due to its subject matter and critical acclaim. Even before the boogeywomen of Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn there were a lot of dudes out there feeling mad wounded about that kind of game receiving mainstream recognition.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Woozy posted:

The heresy is a game without stakes, rules, or objectives, which is what a game is

Fortunately Gone Home has all those things, so it's a true video game by your definition.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Word choice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ariong posted:

Have these accusers been tested to ensure their uteri haven’t wandered out of place? Perhaps that is the cause of these histrionics.

That's hysterical. Histrionic has an entirely different, non-gendered etymology.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've always felt as if "sex pest" is kind of a weak term for what these men end up doing, like you go to take out the trash and out pops a little Harlan Ellison humping your leg.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What was wrong with fuckboy?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Let the record show that I've always been a proud Chris Avelhater.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You know, I really DID just want to shoot poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

I think "erotic art attracts predators" is a really obvious fallacy, but I do think that erotic art is really polarizing, and can be an exclusionary turn-off to a lot of people who would otherwise be interested. I have no interest in nor belief that woman need to be protected from the sight of boobs, as Endorph has explained how patronizing that is very well.

I also think that communities that are more exclusionary tend to have more predators and more abusers, because the more limited and homogeneous the pool of people involved are, the less likely they are to fall in line in ignoring abuse (see: geek social fallacies and the tendency for in-groups to have a hard time ostracizing in-group abusers)

I don't have a solution for esports communities, I think that esports by nature attract a very limited slice of people. I don't think banning erotic art should be the first or last step, but, I don't think it's bad to have a broader appeal.

yeah exactly! workplaces that excuse or allow for sexual jokes to be made can really rapidly turn into a toxic and abusive place to work.

About 10 years ago I read The Revolution Starts At Home which was really eye-opening to this kind of thing. Abusers who belong to a marginalized or excluded social class themselves are almost impossible to root out, because they often benefit from that group's distrust of, or ignorance to, conventional law enforcement and are shielded from retaliation based upon their own identities. This book was speaking of activist communities in particular, but the same principles apply to any niche in-group.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's very cool that we are using instances of sexual assault in the industry, which are far-reaching and widespread, to fight a proxy war over video games and genres I personally do not like. My consumer choices will absolve me one day, I just know it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VideoGames update my gang tag except the dude faces are all Ubi execs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh yeah absolutely. I saw this all the time with the Blizzard hongkong stuff. People who never played any of the games or stopped a decade ago posturing crazily over not giving Blizzard money anymore.

These discussions are always stupid whenever they come up because they reframe something that I think pretty much everyone would agree with (abusers should be fired from their positions and their organization should not protect them) into some morality play that places the burden of their abuse onto thousands or potentially millions of endpoint consumers, who are most of the time totally oblivious to the situation or working with incomplete information. It also implies by omission that there is a “correct” way to consume under capitalism, and that if we just all made the right purchasing decisions, the exploitation by these multinational corporations would cease to be an issue. It diminishes the thought pattern everyone should be seeing in all this — our system of globalized capitalism promotes the mass exploitation of NEARLY EVERYBODY by its very existence — into feeling better about yourself because you support the Good Corporations and they don’t. It’s such a misdirected waste of ire and energy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The mindboggling stupidity of fighting game players in every aspect unrelated to fighting games is the most convincing evidence I've seen yet for the finite capacity of human intelligence.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Somfin posted:

Goofy horny public personas continue to correlate with sex-positive decent folks and serious feminist public personas continue to correlate with creepy abusive assholes

In addition to being wrong, this is just an unhelpful perspective to take towards abusers and abusive behavior in general. Abusers are very good at hiding themselves. They're often very careful to say the right things in public, and in many cases may even belong to the same marginalized out-group as their victims. There is NO "public persona" that innoculates anyone from suspicion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All of my video game VA faves are just Dem winemoms, not true agents of the revolution but what can you do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's unsurprising to me that the rereg of a poster who said that women are faking abuse to get woke points also wants to come back in and further police the discussion of what is and isn't allowed to be discussed. I thought that guy was threadbanned.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

What I don't really understand is, even if you think these accusations are just totally made up and they're all liars or whatever, you could just... not post, or at least stay out of the way of people actually trying to have a serious discussion. Why is it so important that the pristine image of a video game youtuber be upheld, why would you make your only two posts in months about defending this guy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm wondering what that person means by "old blizzard", because as far as I can tell, based on the people accused, it started during the World of Warcraft era. Not that I'm trying to deny the possibility that its the people who worked on the RTSes or anything. I know I'm missing information.

Probably referring to their time before the Activision merger in 2008. WoW was already two expansions deep at that point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Metzen retired almost six years ago, there’s a gulf between a former figurehead saying we have to do better vs the direct actions of the company in response to this lawsuit in 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh man I was really looking forward to Open Roads. Truly I just wanted Keri Russell to be my mom.